Author Topic: Albert Riera  (Read 13697 times)

Offline CaptainHindsight?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Re: Albert Riera
« Reply #40 on: September 4, 2011, 04:35:56 pm »
I think he actually hit Pacheco in training a month or 2 before the whole thing became public.
I remember on IrishKop, a consistently reliable source left a wierd message on Rieras thread a good bit before about how he hears "Albert packs a punch in training".
Remember reading it thinking wtf, and then it was  quoted in the IK thread from a month or 2 back when the story hit.

So I think the game Albert started at Spurs was probably long after the incident, or maybe Rafa was thinking shop window.

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #41 on: September 4, 2011, 04:59:11 pm »
He was a good player with a huge ego. He may or may not have hit Pacheco which was cuntish... but then Bellamy hit Riise and I like Craig a lot so I can't get too high and mighty. He really just came accross as a bellend when he kept slagging Rafa off.

Shame I remember his very impressive debut versus the Mancs. He could have been a real hit. Hope he does alright really, left on a sour note but there's ex-players I hate a lot more.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #42 on: September 4, 2011, 09:49:06 pm »
He's very good in Family Guy.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: September 4, 2011, 09:57:48 pm »
The best part of his career here was hearing Roy Hodgson trying to pronounce his name when he left.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 4, 2011, 10:20:04 pm »
Some people have short memories. Everyone thought he was great in our first season, and he contributed a lot. There's no doubt about it.

His second season was bad both in his football and in his persona. He wasn't a nice guy in the end and we got rid of him. That doesn't change how he was in his first season though.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: September 4, 2011, 10:23:51 pm »
Why didn't we?

Because we'd spent all summer chasing Gareth Barry for 18 million?
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #46 on: September 4, 2011, 10:48:02 pm »
As a player, I thought he was good for us (in his first season) and I liked him. Off the pitch, as a person, I couldn't simply for the above mentioned incident.

The thing that I think served him the best in most people's opinions is that we were playing very good football in that season and we'd lacked any balance from the left hand side for years and Riera provided that. He had good footwork which more often than not he pulled off but his assists stats for the season weren't as high as you'd expect from a winger of his ability.

Loved his goal against Villa.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 4, 2011, 11:31:25 pm »
I always wanted to see him on the team sheet and when he was he more often than not let me down.

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #48 on: September 4, 2011, 11:34:05 pm »
Erm, wasn't this thread done a while back?

He fucked off, we all got happy. End.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #49 on: September 5, 2011, 01:17:20 pm »
08-09 he was awesome.

gave us great width, piddled out the year after like so many others

didnt he label the club a "sinking ship!"

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 5, 2011, 01:19:29 pm »
Riera was NEVER awesome, for us - he had spells of good games

remember United and Everton at home during one season he had especially good games, never a top top winger though and in the end i was happy he left, started being abit of a gobshite and was never on a level where he could do that and get away with it.

Downing is a better winger and can do everything Albert did and more, and even Downing (for me) isn't a great winger either, quite good - yes.
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: September 5, 2011, 01:21:31 pm »
08-09 he was awesome.

gave us great width, piddled out the year after like so many others

didnt he label the club a "sinking ship!"

Awsome my arse. He gave us shape and width in games when he first came, the reason his game dropped was because he stopped doing that and constantly cur inside instead of doing what he does best and stay wide .
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 5, 2011, 01:29:32 pm »
Awsome my arse. He gave us shape and width in games when he first came, the reason his game dropped was because he stopped doing that and constantly cur inside instead of doing what he does best and stay wide .
he gave us a balance and answered a problem that had been there for years

pity it was only short term.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 5, 2011, 01:31:09 pm »
other than quagmire from family guy he used to remind me of charlie sheens character in Ferris buellars day off

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seńor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #54 on: September 5, 2011, 02:35:17 pm »
How opinions change...

Remember how highly regarded the two were when this happened? And now look at them

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #55 on: September 5, 2011, 03:28:11 pm »
I liked his technical ability, he hardly gave away the ball and could hold onto it in miraculous circumstances, a big part of our ball retention in that title challenging season. He went off the boil a bit after but came back strong towards the end of it.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: September 5, 2011, 04:25:32 pm »
How opinions change...

Remember how highly regarded the two were when this happened? And now look at them

when this happened? Fernando Torres eating bread?

If it was a gif of a wonder goal where Riera rinses 3 defenders and smacks a ball on Torres' head then maybe i'd agree - Torres was obviously incredible for a couple of years, Albert wasn't close.

Goal against Villa at the Anny road end from Pepe's awesome knock was great though, was sat dead in line with Albert when he connected with it - top goal
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seńor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #57 on: September 5, 2011, 04:40:28 pm »
when this happened? Fernando Torres eating bread?

If it was a gif of a wonder goal where Riera rinses 3 defenders and smacks a ball on Torres' head then maybe i'd agree - Torres was obviously incredible for a couple of years, Albert wasn't close.

Goal against Villa at the Anny road end from Pepe's awesome knock was great though, was sat dead in line with Albert when he connected with it - top goal

At the time, the chemistry in the squad was great, things were looking up, those two were in the first 11 and were very popular. Its since become apparent that Riera is a prick and Torres is an ungrateful cardboard cut-out

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #58 on: September 5, 2011, 04:49:19 pm »
H&G anyone? Remember them?

Either that or Robbie Keane costing Ł20m. Take your pick.
just checking, it sounded like there was some other reason. I'd always pick Downing over Keane. I never saw Keane as anything but a limited striker
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #59 on: September 5, 2011, 04:50:57 pm »
How opinions change...

Riera is a prick!  Torres just wanted to win things. H&G  were the architects of his leaving. Clearly he left too soon in some respects. In others he left at the right time for Kenny who could build an entirely new team  without having to build around a striker that was ageing
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 6, 2011, 11:13:04 am »
Vilified for stating the obvious when he obviously shouldn't have stated it. We were a sinking ship, but you don't fucking let people know!

Good player and I enjoyed his first season at the club. People are too willing stick in the knife into anyone who leaves in less than glamorous terms and will find any reason to denigrate him.

Offline GoodStuff

• Kopite
« Reply #61 on: September 6, 2011, 12:07:16 pm »
He was absoluetly brilliant first 6 months or so, amazing against United, Chelsea and a few others. Pure class, then he just got worse and worse. If he could have pulled out performances like he did when he arrived could have been brilliant for us. He was right though about us being a sinking ship...

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #62 on: April 5, 2012, 04:28:47 pm »
At the hospital after being beaten up massively by Felipe Melo

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #63 on: April 5, 2012, 04:32:30 pm »
fucking hell, gotta a link to the fight? :D
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: April 5, 2012, 04:37:08 pm »

Not his usual type, he usually scraps with young Spanish kids :)

Offline redoneusa

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 5, 2012, 06:11:45 pm »
You will find me on Twatter: Follow my Twatter

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: April 5, 2012, 06:16:19 pm »
Surely people could have stopped it before he got beat so bad he had to go to hospital?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Nugget-8

• Main Stander
  • Lucas does jobs.
« Reply #67 on: April 5, 2012, 11:27:43 pm »
Surely people could have stopped it before he got beat so bad he had to go to hospital?

Maybe they didn't want to....

Offline redoneusa

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: April 5, 2012, 11:33:13 pm »
It is Turkish football, some fans probably joined in and threw some fireworks in there for good measure!
You will find me on Twatter: Follow my Twatter

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: April 5, 2012, 11:50:58 pm »
Maybe Melo got fed up with him being shit, the most ironic part of the story is how Galatasaray are taking violence seriously and are considering action against the perpetrators! Its not still my birthday is it?

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #70 on: April 5, 2012, 11:54:59 pm »
Felipe Melo.

A rather deceiving surname.

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #71 on: April 5, 2012, 11:57:21 pm »
When the story popped up about a Galatasary training ground fight, for some reason I really hoped someone sparked out Eboue.
I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #72 on: April 6, 2012, 07:40:36 am »
He once hit the kids when he was here, no? Karma may be
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #73 on: April 6, 2012, 08:43:47 am »
Melo must be an animal.  Riera's quite a big lad.

Offline AriGold

• David James's stunt double
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #74 on: April 6, 2012, 10:15:27 am »
He once hit the kids when he was here, no? Karma may be
He had a go at Pacheco. Apparently. No one knows why and no one knows for certain it's true.
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Twitter... www.twitter.com/wickolfc

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #75 on: April 6, 2012, 10:38:29 am »
He had a go at Pacheco. Apparently. No one knows why and no one knows for certain it's true.
Pacheco was going around doing that giggity thing.  Bert had enough.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #76 on: February 7, 2017, 06:11:13 am »
Albert Riera is waiting until the end of February to sign with Tom Tomsk, the eastern-most team in the Russian Premier League

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/ex-liverpool-man-albert-riera-explains-why-hes-stranded-in-siberia-a7553056.html
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2018, 04:33:47 am »
Riera announced his retirement on his twitter

https://twitter.com/11RIERA11/status/955904991054761984

Right time to say BYE as a player. Thanks to the clubs and supporters that have been along this way with me from 2001 till today. Proud and thankful for the way we have been together during 17 years. Now time to look forward and impatient for my new step! #thanks #football  12:48 PM - 23 Jan 2018 from Madrid, Spain

edit:  Echo article

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-liverpool-winger-albert-riera-14196063
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:42:31 am by zabadoh »
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2018, 11:00:40 am »
His goal against Aston Villa comes to mind. Decent player, but one of many who couldn't get along with Rafa. 
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2018, 11:12:21 am »
His goal against Aston Villa comes to mind. Decent player, but one of many who couldn't get along with Rafa. 
well if you look at Rieras career after us he seem to either be released or fall out with clubs.

i mean look at why he left Udinese for instance.