Author Topic: The NHL Thread  (Read 597504 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: The NHL Thread
« Reply #9880 on: August 10, 2020, 11:28:19 pm »
fuck me my boys won the draft lottery  :o :o :o :o :o :o :lmao :lmao

What a bizarre process. Red Wings could have used this kid. He'll be on a playoff team next season

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #9881 on: August 10, 2020, 11:51:01 pm »
What a bizarre process. Red Wings could have used this kid. He'll be on a playoff team next season

yeah so weird! I had convinced myself Edmonton or Penguins would get it.

Only the Rangers 2nd ever number 1 pick.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9882 on: August 11, 2020, 07:52:06 am »
Happy for the Rangers, they managed to go through the entire rebuild process in something like 3 seasons. As long as Kakko picks up the pace after an underwhelming first season, they should have an excellent forward core in a few seasons.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #9883 on: August 11, 2020, 02:17:03 pm »
fuck me my boys won the draft lottery  :o :o :o :o :o :o :lmao :lmao

You usually have such good taste - what are you doing supporting that shower of shit?  :lmao
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9884 on: August 11, 2020, 02:43:24 pm »
Firstly the Rangers are not a shower of shit thank you very much! A shower of shit in hockey is exclusively kept to describe teams like Las Vegas and any southern expansion or re-located team. Oh and Toronto Maple Leafs of course.

Secondly, they are my ‘local' team, every hockey fan here supports the Rangers! Although I fell for them years ago, when they where a lot shitter than they are now, and they aren't that great now.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9885 on: August 11, 2020, 03:07:07 pm »
Firstly the Rangers are not a shower of shit thank you very much! A shower of shit in hockey is exclusively kept to describe teams like Las Vegas and any southern expansion or re-located team. Oh and Toronto Maple Leafs of course.

I agree with that - Gary's Southern Sojourn was bullshit. The thing I care the most about in hockey, outside of the Flyers, is that Quebec get a team back ASAP.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9886 on: August 11, 2020, 03:40:20 pm »
Speaking of team's getting things back. Sabres have gone back to an older shade of blue. They should barred from touching their jerseys henceforth

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9887 on: August 11, 2020, 04:36:14 pm »
Love it - back to the royal blue! Those Buffalo Sabres uniforms are some of the nicest ever in hockey.

Thank goodness they went back to the classic logo a few years ago too, after their sojourn to red and black, and then the god awful Buffa-slug logo  ;D 

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9888 on: August 12, 2020, 01:53:59 am »
what a crazy game one between Tampa Bay and Columbus, now heading into the 5th period of over time  :o :o

Joonas Korpisalo is having a game for the ages for the Blue Jackets.

Boston vs Carolina was meant to start over an hour ago, now that game has been pushed back till tomorrow, 11am Eastern.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9889 on: August 12, 2020, 02:33:27 am »
Was always going to be crushing to lose a game in a 5OT. Tampa likely benefits now in the series

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9890 on: August 12, 2020, 01:00:04 pm »
Bit harsh on the Southern expansion teams. Both Nashville and Tampa Bay have added quality and a solid fanbase to the league. Las Vegas too, until now. We’ll see if it holds up now that they got an NFL team.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9891 on: August 13, 2020, 08:51:14 pm »
Feisty and aggressive game between Tampa and Columbus right now. Worth a watch!

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9892 on: August 15, 2020, 05:38:32 pm »
Tukka Rask has opted out

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9893 on: August 15, 2020, 05:50:58 pm »
Tukka Rask has opted out

bit odd that timing wise? To get this far, then decide to opt out.

Unless something has happened, hopefully that is not the case.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9894 on: August 15, 2020, 06:06:04 pm »
bit odd that timing wise? To get this far, then decide to opt out.

Unless something has happened, hopefully that is not the case.

Hs wife gave birth in April so it makes sense, even if it seems abrupt

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9895 on: August 17, 2020, 08:38:29 pm »
You have to wonder what the Penguins will do during off season. They are built to win now. Crosby and Malkin are safe of course but the rest of the team should be on the block.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9896 on: August 17, 2020, 09:02:52 pm »
You have to wonder what the Penguins will do during off season. They are built to win now. Crosby and Malkin are safe of course but the rest of the team should be on the block.

They still have a bunch of good pieces there, need to address who the #1 goalie is, do what you can to move Jack Johnson, get the rest of the team healed up for next season. Malkin and Aston Reese just had surgery so they were probably in pain during the playoffs, Guentzel was probably rushed a bit from his injury. Think they're still a playoff team next season, but these things change quickly, Sharks went from cup contender to lottery pick in something like a few months.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9897 on: August 19, 2020, 01:16:58 am »
Sad to hear of the passing of Winnipeg Jets and Buffalo Sabres legend Dale Hawerchuk today.
Gone far too young, aged 57.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9898 on: August 19, 2020, 02:46:32 pm »
Sad to hear of the passing of Winnipeg Jets and Buffalo Sabres legend Dale Hawerchuk today.
Gone far too young, aged 57.

He was pure class, on and off the ice. His career unfortunately coincided with those Oilers teams of the 80s, and with the Jets in the same division, he was always overshadowed, but he was one of the true greats of the era. He was also one of my favorite non-Flyers, along with Yzerman, Trevor Linden and Teppo Numinen.

Fuck cancer. Rest in Peace, Ducky.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9899 on: August 19, 2020, 05:03:45 pm »
Yep classy player in his day. Awful way to go.

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9900 on: August 27, 2020, 11:31:54 pm »
NHL postpones Stanley Cup playoff games on Thursday and Friday in protest over racial inequality

https://mobile.twitter.com/ReutersSports/status/1299107547522240513

Gathering momentum. I hope NFL joins in, but won't hold my breath.

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9901 on: August 28, 2020, 10:03:02 am »
It’s the correct decision and I support it wholeheartedly. But at the same time it’s a bitter pill to swallow. The playoffs were finally gaining some momentum after the lockdown.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9902 on: August 31, 2020, 07:43:57 pm »
I can safely say I’ve given up on the NHL till next season. The re-start was fun for about 2 days.

Absolute horror show of teams will be in the conference and then Stanley Cup finals. Islanders and their shit on a stick hockey, plus the fact being a Rangers fan means I can’t stick them anyway. Tampa Bay, a Florida team for which I have no love, and their random array of ex Rangers over the years, most of them players I didn’t even like when they where Rangers  ;D Vegas - Bettman’s latest love child, and a team the league doesn’t need, and given the biggest helping hand to become instantly good, and Dallas, just a blah team that was once a team from the state of hockey - Minnesota.

It’s apt that one of them will win the cup on neutral territory, in a season not competed in the usual way, with the biggest asterix known to man next to it.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9903 on: September 5, 2020, 05:17:06 pm »
Sorry to hear that, Nullfünfer. I’m enjoying the shitshow. The intensity has been fairly high as well.

I’m not from North America, so I have no problem with teams from Arizona or Nevada. The players are Canadian, Swedish or Russian either way. But I get your point. Why give Las Vegas a team when Quebec doesn’t have one?

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9904 on: September 7, 2020, 06:39:10 pm »
I can safely say I’ve given up on the NHL till next season. The re-start was fun for about 2 days.

Absolute horror show of teams will be in the conference and then Stanley Cup finals. Islanders and their shit on a stick hockey, plus the fact being a Rangers fan means I can’t stick them anyway. Tampa Bay, a Florida team for which I have no love, and their random array of ex Rangers over the years, most of them players I didn’t even like when they where Rangers  ;D Vegas - Bettman’s latest love child, and a team the league doesn’t need, and given the biggest helping hand to become instantly good, and Dallas, just a blah team that was once a team from the state of hockey - Minnesota.

It’s apt that one of them will win the cup on neutral territory, in a season not competed in the usual way, with the biggest asterix known to man next to it.

Yep. The Flyers got to the second round, but there wasn't one enjoyable game in the whole run. I have been completely miserable since the Hayes signing last summer and was one of the few people on our board at HF who didn't think we were poised to do anything. The last four left are so just ... blech. NBC keeps pushing this narrative about the great Isles fanbase, which is just hilarious.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9905 on: September 22, 2020, 06:06:12 pm »
This lengthy piece on life on the NHL bubble is fantastic. The players were sold a pup. And I'm not talking about the brochure detailing excursions, but windowless rooms and room service bills in the thousands  :o
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29939605/nhl-bubble-confidential-go-toronto-edmonton-playoff-hubs?

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9906 on: September 30, 2020, 04:18:41 pm »
It’s been rumoured for a few weeks, now it’s official, the New York Rangers have bought out the last year of Henrik Lundqvist’s contract  :(

Not felt quite so gutted in a sporting context for a while.  Just a bit of a shitty way for it all to end, even if it was inevitable.

What a player, what a pro, what a person.  Met him briefly in his rookie year outside Madison Square Garden, got him to sign a puck, and he was always the best player with fans, through his career. It’s not easy to make it in New York as a sports star, many good ones fail, but he just embraced it, and thrived.

Probably my 2nd favourite ever Ranger, and it’ll only be a matter of time until his number 30 hangs in the rafters of Madison Square Garden next to my all time favourite Ranger Mike Richter’s number 35.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9907 on: October 7, 2020, 12:49:02 am »
Senators had Alex Trebek make their pick in the draft ;D

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #9908 on: October 18, 2020, 05:52:28 pm »
Joe Thornton's joining the Leafs on a 1 year contract.

As a King's fan I didn't want to see the Sharks do well, but always with tons of respect for Joe and I really hope he now picks up a ring.

Unfortunately, I just don't think the Leafs are the team to deliver this in the short term, but it would be sweet to see Joe do a Borque or Rob Blake and jump onto a winner to lift the cup.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9909 on: January 4, 2021, 10:17:44 am »
Sad to say that I’m not overly hyped for the start of the regular season. Watching NFL without fans has been fine but hockey without fans was a disappointment. I couldn’t even bring myself to watch the playoffs last season. Only positive I have is that the season is shortened to 56 games. 83 games is way too much if you ask me, although I understand why it has to be that way.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9910 on: January 9, 2021, 02:57:22 pm »
Dallas Stars first three games postponed due to COVID-outbreak at their training camp. Nice start to the season.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9911 on: January 9, 2021, 03:11:11 pm »
Sad to say that I’m not overly hyped for the start of the regular season. Watching NFL without fans has been fine but hockey without fans was a disappointment. I couldn’t even bring myself to watch the playoffs last season. Only positive I have is that the season is shortened to 56 games. 83 games is way too much if you ask me, although I understand why it has to be that way.

I'm massively struggling with the enthusiasm as well, because my Flyers signed Kevin Hayes, and basically made Kevin Hayes the face of the franchise, and I loathe Kevin Hayes, the mutt bastard. It's a year on, and I don't feel an ounce better about it.

As to the COVID situation, I'm not really sure exactly what happened, but in the early days of the offseason they were discussing the potential of bubbles. That kind of disappeared without much explanation. I just hope we see results closer to the NFL than the MLB with regard to disruptions, but it's going to be tough, as the schedule is closer to MLB than the NFL, and that condensing of games and days makes it harder to handle.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9912 on: January 9, 2021, 03:37:29 pm »
I have little issue watching with NHL without fans, the atmospheres are shit 99% of the time anyway, NHL arenas are so swamped with corporate, and each team seems to have 2 chants - if they are lucky, tedious.

I think I watched more of the playoffs last season than I have in ages.

But the way this has started with Dallas already calling off games, I can’t help but think it’ll be a clusterfuck. But still, I’ll be watching, hopefully they can get the season played!

With the games all in division too - should make for a lot of teams hating each other by the end of it, like it used to be before the NHL got poluted by far too many shitty expansions.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9913 on: January 9, 2021, 04:27:23 pm »
The “chants” are laughable, I agree. LETS GO BOLTS! CROSBY SUCKS! But I miss the reaction to big hits, missed calls, nice dekes and all that good stuff. Often you can hear the intensity rise in the crowd when the game gets rough.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9914 on: January 9, 2021, 04:30:09 pm »
Dallas Stars first three games postponed due to COVID-outbreak at their training camp. Nice start to the season.

Was bound to happen. The bubble cannot be replicated outside of a rigidly controlled environment. The same will happen with the NBA

With the games all in division too - should make for a lot of teams hating each other by the end of it, like it used to be before the NHL got poluted by far too many shitty expansions.

The NHL has tried for years to bring back the fierce rivalries that dissipated post-Red Wings-Avalanche in the 90s. It's going to be exhausting for many teams. Especially the Canadian ones

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #9915 on: January 9, 2021, 06:43:18 pm »
Crawford hangs up his skates. Not a Hawks fan but credit to him, great career.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9916 on: January 9, 2021, 06:51:34 pm »
Crawford hangs up his skates. Not a Hawks fan but credit to him, great career.

I hope he’s ok, cos there seems to be some personal issues going on there.

He was great for the Hawks, low key player, never really seen as a star goalie, but played a huge part in their success, and ended up being one of their very greatest goalies, there will be calls to retire number 50.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9917 on: January 9, 2021, 07:12:04 pm »
I hope he’s ok, cos there seems to be some personal issues going on there.

He was great for the Hawks, low key player, never really seen as a star goalie, but played a huge part in their success, and ended up being one of their very greatest goalies, there will be calls to retire number 50.

Yeah, he had bad complications from a concussion(s) IIRC. Best of luck to him.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9918 on: January 11, 2021, 01:25:41 am »
Sounds like the Canucks have a COVID problem. Practices/workouts cancelled

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan