Author Topic: new laptop went into PC repair within 2 hours.  (Read 3295 times)

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
new laptop went into PC repair within 2 hours.
« on: November 2, 2018, 11:50:39 am »
Bought a new Laptop yesterday, started doing Windows updates that took forever, next minute got a Blue Screen and a message saying,PC had problems and repairing itself. wondering if this down to a problem with the Laptop or just update, wondering whether to take it back for exchange.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: new laptop went into PC repair within 2 hours.
« Reply #1 on: November 2, 2018, 12:37:11 pm »
Bought a new Laptop yesterday, started doing Windows updates that took forever, next minute got a Blue Screen and a message saying,PC had problems and repairing itself. wondering if this down to a problem with the Laptop or just update, wondering whether to take it back for exchange.

See what it does/says when it boots back up. It's possible that you need to update your drivers - some mismatch between hardware and software is the usual source of BSODs

If it restarts fine, then shut it down, then try and re-apply the Windows patches.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 2, 2018, 12:38:57 pm »
Could  just be one of the updates causing it,I remember when I got my first gaming rig from cyberpower,it kept crashing,gave them a ring and it turned out that I just needed to update my gpu driver.

If you got it local then I would exchange it,that's just me though as it would always be on my mind,you have 30 days to make up your mind so maybe see how it does after the repair and check the crash log to see what the problem was.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/my-laptop-is-broken-can-i-get-it-repaired-or-replaced
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3 on: November 2, 2018, 01:30:10 pm »
Could  just be one of the updates causing it,I remember when I got my first gaming rig from cyberpower,it kept crashing,gave them a ring and it turned out that I just needed to update my gpu driver.

If you got it local then I would exchange it,that's just me though as it would always be on my mind,you have 30 days to make up your mind so maybe see how it does after the repair and check the crash log to see what the problem was.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/my-laptop-is-broken-can-i-get-it-repaired-or-replaced

Windows crash log. Ha ha good luck with getting any useful information out of that.

Usually "An unknown error has occurred.." with driver xyz.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 2, 2018, 01:33:12 pm »
Bought a new Laptop yesterday, started doing Windows updates

That's your problem
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 2, 2018, 01:35:43 pm »
Windows crash log. Ha ha good luck with getting any useful information out of that.

Usually "An unknown error has occurred.." with driver xyz.

I just remember that I only needed the number from my log and the CB fella new straight away what the problem was and which driver I needed.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 2, 2018, 02:29:48 pm »
Thanks for advice thought it's best to be safe than sorry, so took it back to shop and no problem getting a refund.
Wasn't the best Laptop ive had anyway, fan blowing away regular and crackling sound was annoying.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 2, 2018, 02:33:51 pm »
Thanks for advice thought it's best to be safe than sorry, so took it back to shop and no problem getting a refund.
Wasn't the best Laptop ive had anyway, fan blowing away regular and crackling sound was annoying.

That's why I prefer having an SSD and a portable drive.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 2, 2018, 02:49:03 pm »

That's why I prefer having an SSD and a portable drive.
Am not hi tech M8 but why don't they just use SSD anyway if it does away with the need for a fan.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #9 on: November 2, 2018, 02:58:44 pm »
Am not hi tech M8 but why don't they just use SSD anyway if it does away with the need for a fan.

Price and size

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 2, 2018, 02:59:05 pm »

Lots do & with the prices atm it won't be long before that's all they use.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 2, 2018, 04:20:23 pm »

Lots do & with the prices atm it won't be long before that's all they use.
Price and size
I see so a SSD Laptop is always very quiet as there's no moving parts, no fan going off and no crackling sound which I had in the past, if that's the case then I don't mind paying a bit more if I have too, the one i just returned usually sells for £430 but waited till it came on offer for £379, ive noticed a Acer SSD 15.6 inch screen for £429. had a Acer in the past,prefer Lenavo but may look around for SSD from now on.
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7368006
               Emily Maitlis

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 2, 2018, 05:16:32 pm »
I see so a SSD Laptop is always very quiet as there's no moving parts, no fan going off and no crackling sound which I had in the past, if that's the case then I don't mind paying a bit more if I have too, the one i just returned usually sells for £430 but waited till it came on offer for £379, ive noticed a Acer SSD 15.6 inch screen for £429. had a Acer in the past,prefer Lenavo but may look around for SSD from now on.
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7368006

Having an SSD doesn't mean no fan. The main fan in an laptop is there to cool down the CPU, and the more powerful the CPU the hotter it gets and the more cooling it needs. My laptop has an SSD, but can make a racket when it's under a heavy workload.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 3, 2018, 12:24:55 am »
Having an SSD doesn't mean no fan. The main fan in an laptop is there to cool down the CPU, and the more powerful the CPU the hotter it gets and the more cooling it needs. My laptop has an SSD, but can make a racket when it's under a heavy workload.
Thanks Elmo. heavy workload being downloading while multi tasking?
Happy enough if it's just quiet when am browsing, anyway,reviews are excellent for the one I linked so may buy, glad you told me it has a fan though as I would have been wondering what the Hell was happening if it kicked off. :)
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 4, 2018, 07:38:37 pm »
SSDs are still generally smaller than traditional HDDs.  Most use hybrid drives now, with the SSD space reserved for the OS so it boots up faster.

I still prefer a HDD.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 5, 2018, 08:49:54 am »
I still prefer a HDD.

why on earth?

Was it the major windows update? cos that one caused my work Dell to go off its nut and I had to remove it, it's a common issue.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 5, 2018, 12:38:20 pm »
why on earth?

He likes the excitement of all those moving parts.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 5, 2018, 12:45:01 pm »
why on earth?

Was it the major windows update? cos that one caused my work Dell to go off its nut and I had to remove it, it's a common issue.
Yeah, the updates were taking a very long time so I assume they were important updates.
ive never had the blue screen repair on any laptop in the past so soon so put me off straight away.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 10:59:23 am »
I'm hoping some RAWK computing power can put me at ease or confirm my fears.

I have an Acer notebook that is a few years old. It came with Windows 7, but I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 a year ago I believe.

While in Colombia in the spring, the hard drive fried on me. The whole hard drive had to be replaced. I found a guy there that teaches computer training to replace it for me. He installed Windows 10.

Now I am staying in another country and I am getting a blue dialogue box warning me about Windows activation. And the dude won't repky to my e-mails or texts...so I figure that the licence is only good for Colombia or something. I need the laptop to work, so I'm a little nervous.

I tried going to settings/activation and inputting the product key that came with the computer (Windows7 that I upgraded) but it won't accept it.

Question: should I be worried getting these messages? Do I need to go and purchase Windows once more?

It is for work, so being reliable is important. But the message when I boot up is not super annoying to me and I can live with it.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 12:48:34 pm by Giono »
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 02:40:03 pm »
I'm hoping some RAWK computing power can put me at ease or confirm my fears.

I have an Acer notebook that is a few years old. It came with Windows 7, but I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 a year ago I believe.

While in Colombia in the spring, the hard drive fried on me. The whole hard drive had to be replaced. I found a guy there that teaches computer training to replace it for me. He installed Windows 10.

Now I am staying in another country and I am getting a blue dialogue box warning me about Windows activation. And the dude won't repky to my e-mails or texts...so I figure that the licence is only good for Colombia or something. I need the laptop to work, so I'm a little nervous.

I tried going to settings/activation and inputting the product key that came with the computer (Windows7 that I upgraded) but it won't accept it.

Question: should I be worried getting these messages? Do I need to go and purchase Windows once more?

It is for work, so being reliable is important. But the message when I boot up is not super annoying to me and I can live with it.

Any thoughts?

I am pretty sure that the OS is tied to the motherboard not the hard drive.

Not had a proper read but I think this should help you.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/reinstall-windows-10-after-hard-drive-failure-and/9a86c44b-6eca-4283-814e-ef24ae7d5a43
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 02:48:27 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 04:08:26 pm »
I am pretty sure that the OS is tied to the motherboard not the hard drive.

Not had a proper read but I think this should help you.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/reinstall-windows-10-after-hard-drive-failure-and/9a86c44b-6eca-4283-814e-ef24ae7d5a43

Sounds like an unregistered (aka a trial) version of Windows 10 has been installed to me after your computer was fixed. You can buy an activation key from a top-rated eBay seller for £5 / $7USD:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Microsoft-Windows-10-Pro-Professional-32-64bit/18019367068

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2018, 04:56:52 pm »
Sounds of that he doesn't need to buy a key,reformat the hard drive or swap it our for a new one,load OS using usb and it should let skip installing a key.

Since you previously had Windows 10 installed and activated on that PC during the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2018, 06:39:06 pm »
Sounds like an unregistered (aka a trial) version of Windows 10 has been installed to me after your computer was fixed. You can buy an activation key from a top-rated eBay seller for £5 / $7USD:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Microsoft-Windows-10-Pro-Professional-32-64bit/18019367068

I think that is what happened. It was originally in Spanish and I had to switch everything into English. So a new copy of windows that he could work with was installed.

These activation keys are used/recycled?

Thanks
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2018, 06:49:23 pm »
Sounds of that he doesn't need to buy a key,reformat the hard drive or swap it our for a new one,load OS using usb and it should let skip installing a key.

That is interesting. My problem is in that I am in another foreign country now with no discs to reboot from etc. I'd have to go find someone who could possibly be more dodgey than the last guy. I'm not as proficient as some of you here too, so I'd be treading to keep my head up in another language.

Buying the key for a fiver sounds convenient and a good time vs money trade off. But would I be looking to have to repeat the process later with a key from someone on ebay?

Thanks

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2018, 08:00:10 pm »
That is interesting. My problem is in that I am in another foreign country now with no discs to reboot from etc. I'd have to go find someone who could possibly be more dodgey than the last guy. I'm not as proficient as some of you here too, so I'd be treading to keep my head up in another language.

Buying the key for a fiver sounds convenient and a good time vs money trade off. But would I be looking to have to repeat the process later with a key from someone on ebay?

Thanks

There is a link on that page for you to download it and put it on a USB.

Should add that I'm no expert by any stretch of imagination,just what I understood from that page & that I know your wondows is tied to the motherboard because my motherboard on the gaming rig is what gave out on me.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 08:02:15 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2018, 08:43:20 pm »

Fools rush in...
I went and bought it as I am in a bit of a hurry so I can do some skype interviews without a pop up interupting...turns out it is for Windows 10 Pro and the version the guy had installed is Windows Pro N. The instructions from the seller in his email expressly says that it will only work on Windows Pro10 and not on Pro N etc.

So it looks like a fresh install is needed.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2018, 08:57:54 pm »
There is a link on that page for you to download it and put it on a USB.

Should add that I'm no expert by any stretch of imagination,just what I understood from that page & that I know your wondows is tied to the motherboard because my motherboard on the gaming rig is what gave out on me.

I went to another microsoft page that the seller linked me to for a fresh install of W8ndows 10 and it asks for a clean USB drive that has 8GB while the page you reference mentions 4GB. I have a 7.45 stick and a large extrenal back up drive (old fashioned I know) that coennects via usb and that I was hopeful I could use for the installation.

I think I'm gonna have to recruit a friend with more experience to copilote me on this. :)

One thing I have learned is that 10 Pro N is for Europe and is actually crappier than simple 10 because of the media laws on the continent. At least my Windows will be better eventually.

Thanks for your help with this,

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2018, 09:08:52 pm »
I went to another microsoft page that the seller linked me to for a fresh install of W8ndows 10 and it asks for a clean USB drive that has 8GB while the page you reference mentions 4GB. I have a 7.45 stick and a large extrenal back up drive (old fashioned I know) that coennects via usb and that I was hopeful I could use for the installation.

I think I'm gonna have to recruit a friend with more experience to copilote me on this. :)

One thing I have learned is that 10 Pro N is for Europe and is actually crappier than simple 10 because of the media laws on the continent. At least my Windows will be better eventually.

If you're lucky then somebody with more smarts than us will see this and be able to tell you exactly what you need to do.

Should be easy enough.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 08:33:49 am »

It won't be hard to do, but the device you use (USB stick) will have to be formatted so it can be bootable.

https://youtu.be/wzuCgm7dIEc

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2018, 11:35:45 am »
It won't be hard to do, but the device you use (USB stick) will have to be formatted so it can be bootable.

https://youtu.be/wzuCgm7dIEc

Thanks so much Claire. That demystifies some dark corners for me. That guy explains things very clearly.

Now I just have to go out and get a stick with the necessary capacity. The one I travel with is just under the needed 8. Thanks again!

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2018, 08:49:36 pm »
Thanks folks. Windows 10 Pro is purring like a kitten.

Cheers

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2018, 01:00:20 am »
Thanks folks. Windows 10 Pro is purring like a kitten.

Cheers

Except icloud isn't downloading. Must be an Apple v Microsoft thing....