Author Topic: DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU  (Read 327181 times)

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU
« Reply #3840 on: August 23, 2020, 07:31:43 pm »
That Batman trailer looked decent, but then the solo Batman movies are always generally good.  The JL one just looked like more of the same though, no real interest there for me.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3841 on: August 23, 2020, 07:33:38 pm »
Yeah he looks pretty amazing, one of the benefits of an all CG character I guess. It'll be interesting to see what people think of the Snyder cut in the end, I'd expect the core group of people who are interested in it to be quite niche, after all the BvS ultimate edition didn't really seem to earn many plaudits. My hope is that with The Joker being so successful and this getting released maybe we'll start to see writers/directors given the freedom to just make their movie, instead of all the chopping and changing that seems to happen with DC.

I expect it to be overly grandiose and overblown and largely dumb, but with some unreal moments.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #3842 on: August 24, 2020, 11:53:58 am »
I've seen Steppenwolf has received a complete redesign for this.

And still looks terrible  ;D

Enjoyed The Batman trailer but how many more sombre, overly dark Batmans do we need really? Also, why cast Colin Farrell just to make him look like that? Bizarre choice.

I hold out hope that one day we'll get something different with Batman in the meantime I guess anyone wanting fun Batman has to make do with the Lego movies from here on in.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #3843 on: August 24, 2020, 02:15:11 pm »
Can you explain this reference?

I wasn't really looking forward to this, but Reeves has a lot of credit for me from the Apes movies, and it looks great.
That would be totally amazing. Especially if he played him like Bing Bong from Inside Out.  :D

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Batman:_Year_Two
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3844 on: August 24, 2020, 03:36:07 pm »
Im guessing Robert Pattinson wont be wearing that eye shadow and liner the whole way through the film?

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3845 on: August 24, 2020, 03:38:41 pm »
Im guessing Robert Pattinson wont be wearing that eye shadow and liner the whole way through the film?

It's what Batman wears under his mask so his eyes are dark.  They've all done it, just not always addressed.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 03:40:49 pm by ubb! please »
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3846 on: August 24, 2020, 03:45:28 pm »
I think The Batman looks great. I like that they are going with the more detective side of Batman.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3847 on: August 24, 2020, 05:17:25 pm »
It's what Batman wears under his mask so his eyes are dark.  They've all done it, just not always addressed.

Thats fair enough but I thought I saw a scene where he had that on but no suit on.

Hopefully its good. I hated Cloverfield but Reeves did well with the Planet of the Apes film. Plus if we are to have another superhero movie then I dont want to see some massive CGI fight fest like Avengers. Its boring.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3848 on: August 24, 2020, 06:48:23 pm »
I expect it to be overly grandiose and overblown and largely dumb, but with some unreal moments.

Probably, but as long as it all fits together and does something different I'll be okay with it, but then I enjoyed BvS which seems to be frowned upon around here!

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3849 on: August 24, 2020, 09:49:30 pm »
And still looks terrible  ;D

Enjoyed The Batman trailer but how many more sombre, overly dark Batmans do we need really? Also, why cast Colin Farrell just to make him look like that? Bizarre choice.

I hold out hope that one day we'll get something different with Batman in the meantime I guess anyone wanting fun Batman has to make do with the Lego movies from here on in.

Well as long as it doesn't look any worse lol.  to be honest, I've not watched many DCU films since the Nolan Batman trilogy.

As for Batman, well you're not getting a comedy anytime soon.  Batman is a dark character, that's his nature.  The problem is when you have so many films featuring him in quick succession you have to explore his other traits to keep him interesting, rather than just having him as an ass-kicking borderline psycho. But you have to explore those traits in a manner consistent with the character.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3850 on: August 24, 2020, 09:53:37 pm »
Well as long as it doesn't look any worse lol.  to be honest, I've not watched many DCU films since the Nolan Batman trilogy.

As for Batman, well you're not getting a comedy anytime soon.  Batman is a dark character, that's his nature.  The problem is when you have so many films featuring him in quick succession you have to explore his other traits to keep him interesting, rather than just having him as an ass-kicking borderline psycho. But you have to explore those traits in a manner consistent with the character.

Him being a dark character is just one interpretation. One that's been done to death on the big screen to be honest. Another interpretation is he's probably the goofiest superhero there is. A billionaire who goes out clad in leather with loads of crazy gadgets and fights people who like to pretend to be clowns, flightless birds and well, more clowns.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3851 on: August 24, 2020, 10:45:33 pm »

The Adam West tv show was pure comedy.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3852 on: August 25, 2020, 09:58:50 am »
The new Batman film obviously looks dark, but it still feels fresh to me - Reeves said he really wanted to explore the detective aspect of the character and from the trailer it feels like a proper mystery he has to solve. This looks like one of the classic graphic novels come to life. And I'm sure there'll be plenty of action, but I'm not expecting huge stakes like we've seen in the other films. Something a bit more grounded and character-driven.

Thats fair enough but I thought I saw a scene where he had that on but no suit on.

Think he was using it as part of a disguise when he was out of costume. I'm all for more scenes of Bruce doing detective work during the day, they touched on it in the Nolan films but not enough. Would actually love to see the Matches Malone idea utilised here too.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #3853 on: August 25, 2020, 04:37:02 pm »

Hopefully its good. I hated Cloverfield but Reeves did well with the Planet of the Apes film. Plus if we are to have another superhero movie then I dont want to see some massive CGI fight fest like Avengers. Its boring.

You did see that, it was a close up of him, right near the end. But the shot right before is from the same scene and shows him taking off the cowl.

Him being a dark character is just one interpretation. One that's been done to death on the big screen to be honest. Another interpretation is he's probably the goofiest superhero there is. A billionaire who goes out clad in leather with loads of crazy gadgets and fights people who like to pretend to be clowns, flightless birds and well, more clowns.

He's a billionaire white male in america. He's the biggest villain of them all.

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #3854 on: August 25, 2020, 10:19:31 pm »
The Batman filmed in our fair city - Liverpool becomes Gotham

cbr.com/the-batman-matt-reeves-gotham-liverpool-dc-fandome/

"The idea is to go to Liverpool, where there's all the foundation of the Gothic architecture, and then add all of the more modern structures in through CG, but in a way that when you see the movie, now that I've blown it, of course, I've told you what it is, but you'll be like, 'Hey! Where's that city? Where do they shoot?' and so, the aspect of Gotham and realizing it has been for me one of the great pleasures in getting to mount the movie."
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #3855 on: August 25, 2020, 10:21:18 pm »
Think he was using it as part of a disguise when he was out of costume. I'm all for more scenes of Bruce doing detective work during the day, they touched on it in the Nolan films but not enough. Would actually love to see the Matches Malone idea utilised here too.

Yes! Matches Malone would be great. More of that, something different.
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3856 on: August 26, 2020, 07:54:21 am »
Oh I didn't realise the director also did Cloverfield. I'm 100% less excited now, one of the worst films of the 21st century.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3857 on: August 26, 2020, 08:44:51 am »
Oh I didn't realise the director also did Cloverfield. I'm 100% less excited now, one of the worst films of the 21st century.

Didn’t you like the apes trilogy?

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3858 on: August 26, 2020, 08:47:14 am »
Didn’t you like the apes trilogy?

Meh. They had diminishing returns. Also he didn't do the first one, which surprise surprise, is by far the best of the three.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #3859 on: August 26, 2020, 11:41:27 am »
If you don't like a dark Batman suggest you watch a film called Batman and Robin.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3860 on: August 26, 2020, 11:52:10 am »
Meh. They had diminishing returns. Also he didn't do the first one, which surprise surprise, is by far the best of the three.

Actually a really under rated trilogy that, considering people generally think there aren’t many good ones. No way the first one is the best one though, let alone by far.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3861 on: August 26, 2020, 12:08:19 pm »
Actually a really under rated trilogy that, considering people generally think there aren’t many good ones. No way the first one is the best one though, let alone by far.

First one was great, really memorable and rewatchable. Second one was good, couldn't name a single human character from it though. Third one was completely forgettable, couldn't tell you a thing that happened in it and it's the one I've seen most recently.

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3862 on: August 26, 2020, 12:11:37 pm »
The Batman filmed in our fair city - Liverpool becomes Gotham

cbr.com/the-batman-matt-reeves-gotham-liverpool-dc-fandome/

"The idea is to go to Liverpool, where there's all the foundation of the Gothic architecture, and then add all of the more modern structures in through CG, but in a way that when you see the movie, now that I've blown it, of course, I've told you what it is, but you'll be like, 'Hey! Where's that city? Where do they shoot?' and so, the aspect of Gotham and realizing it has been for me one of the great pleasures in getting to mount the movie."

Also from that article:

The English city of Liverpool is best known as the birthplace of The Beatles, and its most famous landmark is the pedestrian crosswalk the band is seen crossing on the cover of their Abbey Road album

:duh

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3863 on: August 26, 2020, 01:29:39 pm »

Yeah I’ve got the second the best out of the lot and probably the first as the worst.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3864 on: August 27, 2020, 01:09:03 am »
Why do so many people dislike Cloverfield?
:D

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3865 on: August 27, 2020, 02:53:28 am »

Maybe because they saw it a long time ago and just remember the gimmicky found footage aspect of it? I really enjoyed it at the time, no idea how it holds up today though.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3866 on: August 27, 2020, 08:28:55 am »

Because it was one of the most boring cinematic experiences of my life.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3867 on: August 27, 2020, 02:48:45 pm »
Sorry if its already been explained, but what's the logic behind so many Batman movies and multiple actors playing Batman? (besides money)

Did Christian Bale, Ben Affleck refuse to do anymore or were they deemed not suitable?

Multiverse Batman with all the past Batman characters would be a great shout, but probably too expensive

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #3868 on: August 27, 2020, 03:01:36 pm »
Sorry if its already been explained, but what's the logic behind so many Batman movies and multiple actors playing Batman? (besides money)

Did Christian Bale, Ben Affleck refuse to do anymore or were they deemed not suitable?

Multiverse Batman with all the past Batman characters would be a great shout, but probably too expensive
Actually, in The Flasdh film, MIchael Keaton and Ben Affleck's Bastman's are appearing. Affleck's as a cameo, Keaton's in a more substantial role.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3869 on: September 23, 2020, 05:35:49 pm »
James Gunn doing an eight-episode series on HBO Max, focusing on John Cena's Peacemaker - it's a prequel spinoff from his Suicide Squad film:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/john-cena-james-gunn-tackling-peacemaker-series-for-hbo-max-dc

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3870 on: September 23, 2020, 06:08:43 pm »
James Gunn doing an eight-episode series on HBO Max, focusing on John Cena's Peacemaker - it's a prequel spinoff from his Suicide Squad film:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/john-cena-james-gunn-tackling-peacemaker-series-for-hbo-max-dc

I'm sure regular reviews from executives during shooting is a perfectly standard practice, but when I read about Warner execs giving their thoughts on in-development DC movies I shudder. Even the spin off already sounds like them seeing the popularity of Homelander and thinking "I'll have some of that".

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3871 on: September 23, 2020, 06:31:57 pm »
I'm sure regular reviews from executives during shooting is a perfectly standard practice, but when I read about Warner execs giving their thoughts on in-development DC movies I shudder. Even the spin off already sounds like them seeing the popularity of Homelander and thinking "I'll have some of that".

Or they need to make the most of James Gunn before he goes back to work for Marvel. Plus any of a Director that isn't Zach Snyder can only be a good thing for DC

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3872 on: September 23, 2020, 06:50:33 pm »
Or they need to make the most of James Gunn before he goes back to work for Marvel. Plus any of a Director that isn't Zach Snyder can only be a good thing for DC

Yeah I get that, I just meant in general the Warner execs have a habit of fucking up DC movies by changing the direction late in production, in some cases in response to something else becoming popular.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3873 on: September 23, 2020, 08:54:02 pm »

Will HBO Max ever come to the UK?

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3874 on: September 24, 2020, 09:41:36 am »
Will HBO Max ever come to the UK?

Not while HBO has its deal with Sky, which doesn't expire until 2025. They've announced that some of the HBO Max originals will come to Sky and Now TV but no real detail. And the two HBO Max originals that have aired in the US - Raised by Wolves and Love Life - haven't been aired here yet. So who knows.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3875 on: September 24, 2020, 09:57:05 am »
Not while HBO has its deal with Sky, which doesn't expire until 2025. They've announced that some of the HBO Max originals will come to Sky and Now TV but no real detail. And the two HBO Max originals that have aired in the US - Raised by Wolves and Love Life - haven't been aired here yet. So who knows.

Sky ruining everything for everyone as usual.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3876 on: October 1, 2020, 01:24:57 pm »

Noticed that Love Life is available on BBC iPlayer last night.

Might suggest that some of the upcoming DC content on HBO Max could find a home elsewhere than Sky Atlantic.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3877 on: November 17, 2020, 07:59:14 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QQXyUq06Gn4&amp;ab" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QQXyUq06Gn4&amp;ab</a>

Still cant decide if this is going to be the greatest thing committed to screen or our eras version of The Room (Oh Hi Mark)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 08:03:07 pm by gazzalfc »

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3878 on: November 17, 2020, 09:39:50 pm »
Still cant decide if this is going to be the greatest thing committed to screen or our eras version of The Room (Oh Hi Mark)

Only thing I know for certain is that's not a follow up trailer, it's the first trailer again, only someone has reuploaded it in black and white with terrible quality and a few lies sprinkled in (title mentions Robin for no reason for example).

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3879 on: November 17, 2020, 11:43:29 pm »
I've pretty much avoided the DCU but will probably give the Snyder Cut a look.  It could probably go in the hannoy thread, but it has to irk when you ask a director to finish your film and he decides to reshoot the whole fucking thing.  I'm sure Richard Donner can relate.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art