Author Topic: Amsterdam  (Read 71255 times)

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Amsterdam
« Reply #440 on: October 15, 2017, 10:54:57 pm »
Going next month, this time with the missus and sister/brother in law, firstly I can't remember any names of clubs to go to (dj's not live music) so any recommendations please?  Secondly the missus and sister aren't into smoking weed anymore so what's the best types of edibles? Necked a whole spaceshake in one last time I was there and don't want to go through similar [emoji23] couldn't stay awake when we needed to leave for the bloody airport.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: October 18, 2017, 06:43:00 pm »
Nice airport, but if you want to go to a city run for the benefit of tourists, go to Venice.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: October 18, 2017, 07:20:44 pm »
Nice airport, but if you want to go to a city run for the benefit of tourists, go to Venice.
I go to Amsterdam to get smashed, can't do that in Venice, not legally anyway [emoji23]

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #443 on: October 18, 2017, 08:49:56 pm »
Or just leave the red light area of Amsterdam. There's much nicer bits.

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: October 18, 2017, 09:44:46 pm »
Or just leave the red light area of Amsterdam. There's much nicer bits.
Any tips on my nightclub question Cloggy?

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: October 18, 2017, 10:11:14 pm »
Any tips on my nightclub question Cloggy?
Not my thing really. Haven't been to one in years. There's always the Escape if it's playing what you are into.

http://escape.nl

Squat parties were always better for techno though. I'll PM you a contact number closer to when you are going if I hear about anything. My mate is often DJing at them.

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: October 18, 2017, 10:17:48 pm »
Not my thing really. Haven't been to one in years. There's always the Escape if it's playing what you are into.

http://escape.nl

Squat parties were always better for techno though. I'll PM you a contact number closer to when you are going if I hear about anything. My mate is often DJing at them.
That would be good mate cheers, the line up on escape only goes up to a fortnight so will keep a look out for when it shows the date I'm going [emoji106]

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: October 18, 2017, 10:19:40 pm »
That would be good mate cheers, the line up on escape only goes up to a fortnight so will keep a look out for when it shows the date I'm going [emoji106]
Always worth seeing what Dave Clarke is up to as well. He's living over here these days and seems to have regular events. This is for the Melkweg on the 20th

https://m.amsterdam-dance-event.nl/program/2017/dave-clarke-presents/5149687/

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: October 18, 2017, 10:26:21 pm »
Fooking Love Dave Clarke [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Just rememberd I'm going with my missus and sister, not my mates so they will be more into House than techno[emoji852]️

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: October 18, 2017, 11:12:27 pm »
I go to Amsterdam to get smashed, can't do that in Venice, not legally anyway [emoji23]

Fair enough, I go to Amsterdam alot on business (not the drugs, hookers or shitty beer or rubber tasting cheese business) so I am a bit jaded. If I went to Venice a lot it may be the same. The place I like in Holland is Delft.
Justice for the 96!

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #450 on: November 1, 2017, 04:41:22 pm »

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #451 on: March 30, 2018, 07:55:43 am »
Going next month, this time with the missus and sister/brother in law, firstly I can't remember any names of clubs to go to (dj's not live music) so any recommendations please?  Secondly the missus and sister aren't into smoking weed anymore so what's the best types of edibles? Necked a whole spaceshake in one last time I was there and don't want to go through similar [emoji23] couldn't stay awake when we needed to leave for the bloody airport.

Going next week for a few days.
Not been for a while and not into the weed anymore.
We're staying at the new west inn in Osdorp (tip: don't book hotels when you're drunk...I thought it was way closer to the city centre).

Anyone know the area? Interesting things to do other than the obvious museum/gallery stops?

[Last time I stayed i was in my twenties and lived in a squat on princengracht, oh, and i played the melkweg with my band once but this was sooo long ago - i can barely remember anything of the place].

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: July 31, 2018, 02:25:33 am »
Just booked a cheeky weekend in October for me, my dad and his girlfriend. They are in their 80s!
So no Melkweg, Grasshopper or Bulldog for my posse, mainly the flower market, Tea in the Kras and Rembrandt's huis, oh and a beer or three in Cafe Belgique  :hally  :D

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: August 2, 2018, 07:30:52 pm »
Going in November.

Anyone ever rented a boat rather than a hotel? 7 of us going for 4 nights. Looking somewhere pretty central
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #454 on: August 17, 2018, 07:21:50 pm »
Fancy going to the dam for NYE, Flights are fairly cheap but hotels aren't? plus i haven't got a clue where the best place to stay is!

Any suggestions?? help me out here :)

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: December 21, 2018, 09:54:16 am »
Had a couple of trips to the Dam recently. The cruise at night is decent to see the lights (art not Christmas lights) although it was a bit parky like

I didn’t manage a full house on the arl Amsterdam bingo - too old for that although had a decent go like :D

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: January 19, 2019, 09:18:09 pm »
Back again next week - martinis in the American hotel and the the paradiso :D

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #457 on: January 20, 2019, 07:26:21 pm »
Back again next week - martinis in the American hotel and the the paradiso :D

I spent some time in Leiden last year. Fantastic, Amsterdam without the tourists.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: January 21, 2019, 12:06:13 am »
I spent some time in Leiden last year. Fantastic, Amsterdam without the tourists.
That's where I live. Stop telling people about it please.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: January 21, 2019, 12:37:41 am »
I was there back in the day. Have been telling people about it for 15 years. If it hasn't got touristy by now, it never will.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: January 21, 2019, 12:49:12 am »
I was there back in the day. Have been telling people about it for 15 years. If it hasn't got touristy by now, it never will.
I've lived here for nearly 20 years. There's deffo more tourists now than 15 years ago. Keeps appearing in hidden gems sort of stuff too much for my liking.

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #461 on: January 22, 2019, 01:40:08 pm »
Been living here for 18 months now and love it...managed to learn how to negotiate centrum and avoid hoards of tourists ( why visit a place just to be surrounded by other tourists all day?)..Leiden is ace as are a lot of Dutch towns/cities, in fact Dutch Tourist Board trying to encourage tourists to visit these towns rather than all desend on Amsterdam. Actually this best time of year ( despite weather) as tourists numbers drop noticibly.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: January 22, 2019, 04:08:13 pm »
Less of this Leiden is boss business please, it's dead boring and you wouldn't like it at all.

Anyway, look over there, Rotterdam is currently where it's at

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20171219-the-dutch-city-thats-more-like-dubai

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #463 on: October 28, 2019, 09:41:06 am »
Best place to watch our champions league game vs napoli in 4 weeks? i've read o'reilys but just wondered if anyone else had any recommendations?

Also a decent steak/grill restaurant to take the missus for our birthday meal?

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #464 on: October 29, 2019, 09:36:09 am »
Best place to watch our champions league game vs napoli in 4 weeks? i've read o'reilys but just wondered if anyone else had any recommendations?

Ajax play CL at the same time as Liverpool so all the really good, cosy little local pubs will show them. O'Reilly's are certs to show Liverpool and is your best bet. Might go there for that game too!

Your best bet for a good steak place: https://cannibaleroyale.nl/

Exceptionally good with a handful of locations littered across the city centre. I'd recommend booking a table to prevent disappointment!
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #465 on: October 29, 2019, 10:48:57 am »

There’s a flame steakhouse just down from the station. Argentinan grill just opposite it too.  Both look decent
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #466 on: October 29, 2019, 04:43:21 pm »
What is the weather like there end of November time?

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: October 30, 2019, 09:48:18 am »

Not unlike the UK.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Jagdip

• former Lunatic
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: November 11, 2019, 08:47:27 am »
Off to Amsterdam in two weeks. Will be there when we play Palace away - given it is a Saturday 3pm KO - where would be the best place to watch the match? TIA :wave

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: November 11, 2019, 10:37:00 am »
^ coco’s on Rembrandtplein - right near the flower market - is decent and i come across a couple of reds in there recently
+ good to check out the night watch bronze over the road which is boss.
But you can’t go wrong from Dam Square to Leidseplein there will be loads of boozers.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #470 on: November 12, 2019, 06:51:46 pm »
going in 2 weeks, me and the missus been talking about things to do and we'd both like to do a canal cruise, any recommendations for a decent one? not after a private tour but a warm boat is a must!

Gutted i'll be missing the light festival by 2 days
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 06:53:25 pm by LiamG »

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: November 13, 2019, 12:39:18 pm »
going in 2 weeks, me and the missus been talking about things to do and we'd both like to do a canal cruise, any recommendations for a decent one? not after a private tour but a warm boat is a must!

Gutted i'll be missing the light festival by 2 days
Light Festival will still be on.

https://amsterdamlightfestival.com/en/practical-information

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #472 on: November 14, 2019, 05:55:21 pm »
it starts 28th, the day we fly back  :(

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #473 on: November 15, 2019, 12:22:18 am »
Not unlike the UK.

Which is true but saying that when I was Eindhoven en Route to Genk and Maastricht post Genk it was deffo sandal weather for about 5 hours in the day. 18 - 20 degrees I reckon .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: November 15, 2019, 03:31:58 pm »
it starts 28th, the day we fly back  :(
Go to this instead; art, lights and probably the best value you are going to get for 5 euro in Amsterdam.

http://www.electric-lady-land.com/index.html

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: November 15, 2019, 03:34:17 pm »
Expect cold, windy and wet. Just starting to drop around zero at night now and days noticeably colder this week.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: November 16, 2019, 04:15:54 am »
It’s worth taking the Metro one stop from central to Rokin just to see the exhibition of stuff they dug up boring the tunnel. “Below the surface” @ Rokin

https://belowthesurface.amsterdam/en

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #477 on: November 21, 2019, 06:35:40 pm »
Ajax play CL at the same time as Liverpool so all the really good, cosy little local pubs will show them. O'Reilly's are certs to show Liverpool and is your best bet. Might go there for that game too!

Your best bet for a good steak place: https://cannibaleroyale.nl/

Exceptionally good with a handful of locations littered across the city centre. I'd recommend booking a table to prevent disappointment!

Booked this place for tuesday night! looking forward to it now, although weather for time i'm there is looking quite crap!

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #478 on: November 25, 2019, 12:32:26 pm »
Booked this place for tuesday night! looking forward to it now, although weather for time i'm there is looking quite crap!

Some things we cannot change I am afraid. Will I see you in O'Reilly's on Wed?
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #479 on: November 25, 2019, 12:57:46 pm »
Some things we cannot change I am afraid. Will I see you in O'Reilly's on Wed?

Yep i'll be there! Although the missus is not happy about it :D