Author Topic: Is Google/WhatsApp/Facebook listening to our conversations for targeted ads?  (Read 106730 times)

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Re: Is Google/WhatsApp/Facebook listening to our conversations for targeted ads?
« Reply #480 on: November 22, 2017, 04:04:42 pm »
So I've just had Heinz Mayo with lunch, a big switch as I've always been a Hellmans man, then go on FB to see a big Heinz Mayo advert staring at me.

Is FB monitoring my taste buds?

You ain't convincing anyone you dirty rotten bastard.  ;D
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Re: Is Google/WhatsApp/Facebook listening to our conversations for targeted ads?
« Reply #481 on: November 22, 2017, 04:07:49 pm »
Over 400 of the World's Most Popular Websites Record Your Every Keystroke, Princeton Researchers Find

“Session replay scripts” can be used to log (and then playback) everything you typed or clicked on a website.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/59yexk/princeton-study-session-replay-scripts-tracking-you

Google has been secretly tracking Android phone locations

Android users–even those who turned off location tracking services, or even removed their SIM card–have had their location data collected by Google, according to a report from Quartz. For most of 2017, Google collected the addresses of nearby cell towers as part of the data it routinely gathered from its users once their phones were connected to the internet.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40499354/android-phones-have-been-secretly-tracking-users-locations

This has definitely been happening - have no doubt about this at all.

I have another conspiracy theory, but I fear writing it in case Facebook starts giving me adverts about Alex Jones or David Icke.

(Watches Facebook for Mel Gibson news)
Continually on 11,420.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #482 on: November 22, 2017, 05:02:43 pm »
This has definitely been happening - have no doubt about this at all.

I have another conspiracy theory, but I fear writing it in case Facebook starts giving me adverts about Alex Jones or David Icke.

(Watches Facebook for Mel Gibson news)
I'm getting ads now from facebook about cycling, having discussed cycling with my brother after he took it up recently.

So much for their end to end encryption... (end to end, excluding us "facebook" and everyone we share it with)

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #483 on: November 22, 2017, 05:52:14 pm »
I'm getting ads now from facebook about cycling, having discussed cycling with my brother after he took it up recently.

So much for their end to end encryption... (end to end, excluding us "facebook" and everyone we share it with)

At the risk of further getting foamed on here - I've been getting loads of Netflix "Stranger Things" adverts... Didn't get them before and use Netflix on an external device on a television. True, I have been doing some digging about on Reddit and it is possible, as Craig will suggest, that it is just coincidence based on my browsing data... It is also possible that Facebook has seen that I liked previous posters posts on the programme - but as much as that is all possible, with your article post in mind, it is also possible that Chrome has somehow seen that I have been typing "Stranger Things" in the thread on these forums.

Stranger Things have happened and nothing would surprise me at all.
Continually on 11,420.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #484 on: November 22, 2017, 06:03:27 pm »
At the risk of further getting foamed on here - I've been getting loads of Netflix "Stranger Things" adverts... Didn't get them before and use Netflix on an external device on a television. True, I have been doing some digging about on Reddit and it is possible, as Craig will suggest, that it is just coincidence based on my browsing data... It is also possible that Facebook has seen that I liked previous posters posts on the programme - but as much as that is all possible, with your article post in mind, it is also possible that Chrome has somehow seen that I have been typing "Stranger Things" in the thread on these forums.

Stranger Things has a huge marketing budget, FB knows you use Netflix and as you say yourself have liked posts regarding the programme - it's not really surprising you fit the profile of someone to show the advert to (and that's ignoring you probably also fit the gender/age/location profile too).

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: November 22, 2017, 06:14:28 pm »

You know that the new season of Stranger Things came out in the last few weeks, right? That could be why you've been getting lots of adverts about it now rather than in June?

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #486 on: November 22, 2017, 06:54:21 pm »
You know that the new season of Stranger Things came out in the last few weeks, right? That could be why you've been getting lots of adverts about it now rather than in June?
yea, i get em too. That's just marketing to people who have had a touchpoint to stranger things or fit their targeting criteria.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #487 on: November 22, 2017, 07:21:02 pm »
As I said, nothing would surprise me...

Not even those sheeple responses.   ;D
Continually on 11,420.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: November 22, 2017, 09:34:22 pm »
So I've just had Heinz Mayo with lunch, a big switch as I've always been a Hellmans man, then go on FB to see a big Heinz Mayo advert staring at me.

Is FB monitoring my taste buds?

You probably actually were getting the same ads before as well but didn't consciously notice, but subconsciously made you buy Heinz.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #489 on: November 25, 2017, 10:34:41 am »
Just noticed an interesting FB feature.

If you click the little downwards pointing arrow on an advert (normally around the top right corner of the ad) there is an option to see why you are being shown that advert, and will give some of the options chosen by the advertiser.

I’ve just had one for a slot machine website. Never used those sorts of sites before (and no, not spoken about them either!), and clicked on that link. The advertiser apparently wanted to market to customers similar to their current customers, which were over 25 males in the UK.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #490 on: November 25, 2017, 10:42:42 am »

If you click the little downwards pointing arrow on an advert (normally around the top right corner of the ad) there is an option to see why you are being shown that advert, and will give some of the options chosen by the advertiser.

I’ve just had one for a slot machine website. Never used those sorts of sites before (and no, not spoken about them either!), and clicked on that link. The advertiser apparently wanted to market to customers similar to their current customers, which were over 25 males in the UK.
yea, that's basically how you break down demographics in facebook advertising.

You could also further segment it, by saying forinstance:
- Males
- 25+
- UK

Who follow the following pages: 
- liverpool fc
- redandwhitekop

you could also use look alike campaigns, to target people who may not have the above characteristics, but are similar to them. That's not just limited to who you follow on facebook, but how you engage with websites on the internet.

Facebook is a very very dangerous beast, they are pulling off massive data grabs all over the internet.

We did some research the other day at work, that determined that no matter how quick or slow a webpage loads, if facebook scripts are added, it will add an additional ~30% load time. Which is insane.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #491 on: November 25, 2017, 10:43:46 am »
yea, that's basically how you break down demographics in facebook advertising.

You could also further segment it, by saying forinstance:
- Males
- 25+
- UK

Who follow the following pages: 
- liverpool fc
- redandwhitekop

you could also use look alike campaigns, to target people who may not have the above characteristics, but are similar to them. That's not just limited to who you follow on facebook, but how you engage with websites on the internet.

Facebook is a very very dangerous beast, they are pulling off massive data grabs all over the internet.

We did some research the other day at work, that determined that no matter how quick or slow a webpage loads, if facebook scripts are added, it will add an additional ~30% load time. Which is insane.

Yeah I know mate, I've set up and managed loads of campaigns  ;D

Just never realised you could see the breakdown for it for ads you're shown.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #492 on: November 25, 2017, 10:44:41 am »
Yeah I know mate, I've set up and managed loads of campaigns  ;D

Just never realised you could see the breakdown for it for ads you're shown.
ahhhhhh ok. ;)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: November 25, 2017, 10:50:13 am »

Everything about us is getting monitored to allow us to be targeted for ads. I believe in the whole lot, I know I get ads due to age, gender, location, websites I've visited - but as I said previously in the thread, I also have had stuff such as my works share price, on my sons I-pad which he got from his grandad and I'd never logged into google using my account on it.

Did you also know Google (if you've accepted it and most people probably have) are recording your voice every time the microphone on your device is active? They claim for voice recognition so they can better understand your speech. I've said no, but over the years, before they asked, Google has deffo got better at understanding me. When I first got my phone, Google had no chance with my strong scouse accent. I'd say "Called House" on the handsfree dialler and it would ask did I want to listen to Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon. Now, unless I say call Jo (it offers me Joe as the option) its mainly spot on.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #494 on: November 25, 2017, 10:54:49 am »
Everything about us is getting monitored to allow us to be targeted for ads. I believe in the whole lot, I know I get ads due to age, gender, location, websites I've visited - but as I said previously in the thread, I also have had stuff such as my works share price, on my sons I-pad which he got from his grandad and I'd never logged into google using my account on it.

Did you also know Google (if you've accepted it and most people probably have) are recording your voice every time the microphone on your device is active? They claim for voice recognition so they can better understand your speech. I've said no, but over the years, before they asked, Google has deffo got better at understanding me. When I first got my phone, Google had no chance with my strong scouse accent. I'd say "Called House" on the handsfree dialler and it would ask did I want to listen to Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon. Now, unless I say call Jo (it offers me Joe as the option) its mainly spot on.
I'm sorry i didnt get that. Would you like to listen to Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon?

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #495 on: November 25, 2017, 11:04:39 am »

Yeah, many sites will have FB/Google pixels installed which allow them to remarket to you across multiple platforms (FB, Google search, sites that use Google's display network, etc).

There will also be cross device marketing going on, so where devices have been logged into the same network, or in the same vicinity (FB can identify work places, and then can link employees by tracking usage of the same WIFI).

I don't have an android device or any Google apps installed so I doubt they're recording me!

It is only natural that voice recognition will get better though, especially over the last 3 or 4 years with the massive amount being spent on R&D in that field by the likes of Apple, Amazon and Google for when you interact with their voice assistants.

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #496 on: November 25, 2017, 11:18:54 am »
Facebook is just one big data collection. Deffo tracking us (not just with facebook).

Anyone see the photo of Zuckerberg and in the background he has black tape over his webcam and speaker socket on his laptop.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #497 on: November 25, 2017, 05:22:52 pm »

You're better off not interacting with them at all - I can't remember where I read it, but even if you do this (and yes, I did see it before and have read-up on it), saying "I don't want to see this ad", is still good for business.

That is... if you're of the kind to stick it to the man and all. I try not to let them register now, but with nearly every one in three posts on my feed being an advert of some kind, it is getting hard to not read them. And with the 'new, responsive UI, it is hard to jockey around them too'.

Have been putting my phone near the TV of late, I've been watching House M.D - if my theories or beliefs have any veracity in them, it takes 2-5 days for any earmarked adverts to appear. That is just a guesstimation by, what people call, confirmation bias. Am still noticing strange occurrences, but haven't been in any particular social events of late and have pretty much hermitted the shit out of myself.

I did get a few Justice League adverts, last week, a day after watching The Dark Knight Rises on Blu-Ray... and no, I don't generally 'like' any of their pages or films, or speak of it on Facebook, and I am well aware that their production and marketing budgets are of high standard. As I've said countless times, I believe this could be served to me because Facebook/Google somehow heard that I was watching TDK, as much as it is just coincidence.

But I'm pretty much sick of beating that dead dog's arse on people's heads.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: November 27, 2017, 12:28:13 am »
Kidder - a potential experiment for you to carry out if you're seriously interested in this topic.

For a week make a note of every single advert you come across whilst surfing the net. It could get a bit annoying as we're all bombarded with so many.

Make a note next to each advert that is related to a subject that you've spoken about recently but not searched for online. It would be really interesting to know what percentage this is of the total online adverts you come across.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10104263612917331?comment_id=10104263621834461&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R%22%7D&pnref=story

Posted on Zuckerbergs facebook page.

God, some of those replies are quality - there are some people actually defending the practice and apologising to Zuckerberg as if he reads it.

The Mrs. Doubtfire reply is truly the best reply ever. (Not sure if serious though).
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Have a look at the Facebook page of the wanker who starts the discussion. Look at his photos and see if you can work out what kind of a dickhead he is. Without any algorithms I can tell he:

Voted UKIP
hates Liverpool FC
Supports  Portsmouth
Follows Manchester United and England
Is a sexist prick
Hates muslims
Has a couple of cats
Likes pizza
Was in the forces/police at one point...

And on and on... He shares his likes, his favourite movies and music, his politics, where he lives, where he went to school... all openly on the internet for anyone to see. Facebook doesn't need to actually listen to the gormless prick to know what he's thinking. The dozy twat has uploaded his life voluntarily.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Leave him alone - he uses filters. He's adorable...

Continually on 11,420.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Billy no mates
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Billy no mates

Be that as it may - he is getting some interesting replies... there are some funny comments here and there.

There was another time when I masterbaited whilst I had my phone on vibrate, Facebook directed me to plentyoffish

As well as the local know-it-all part-time experts, conspiracy nuts and the utter Zuckerworshippers. 

There's also some good posts - https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/27/facebook-ai-suicide-prevention/

...and just because someone mentioned Cats - not a pun on words...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0SOxb_Lfps&feature=youtu.be

Aside of all that - I have now realised that some people in this world really, really, really have love for Mark Zuckerberg...
Continually on 11,420.

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
Are we still posting examples/experiences?

Just been out shopping, went into Hofer and saw some car mats going cheap. Just bought a new car so I showed them to my GF and suggested it would be a good idea to buy some for the winter as they were pretty good value. Got home, unpacked the shopping, went on YT and the first advert that came up was for car mats.
I'd never searched for them in my life, googled them or spoke about them before, it was a completely spur of the moment purchase. When I was in the supermarket I had my phone with me but never had it out of my pocket. Interestingly the very same thing happened a few months ago with another product and also it happened to my GF on her laptop, 3 times in a few months.

Just had an experience very similar to this. Which led me to this article:

http://clark.com/technology/google-recording-you-delete-files/

Which led me to this:

https://myactivity.google.com/myactivity (voice and audio).

Where I found voice recordings that had been taken. Sorry if this is common knowledge, or has been posted before as I have not read the whole thread, but I found this quite weird to say the least.

(*edit. I don't use OK google)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:12:56 pm by AA1122 »
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
I had a strange thing happen to me as well.

Two days ago I was speaking to my missus at lunch and saying that learning Russian could be a good idea as there aren't too many people that speak English, Spanish and Russian. Later that day, out of the blue, not an ad, but a man rang the doorbell to our apartment asking if I knew anybody that spoke Russian. I'm still pretty gobsmacked by it all ;D :o What a coincidence. Or not?

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Was this the man?

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
Was this the man?

Hmm, not sure as I didn't open the door, has he been working with Russians lately? The man had a distinct Russian accent.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Let me ask...are you in Russia?

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
 ;D   spooky.

I wouldn't worry though - unless your name is Christopher Steele and the fella was carrying an umbrella  :P

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Do you live in the White House?

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
Let me ask...are you in Russia?
Do you live in the White House?

Haha actually in Spain in a place where I haven't heard Russian before or since that fella ringing the doorbell ;D

;D   spooky.

I wouldn't worry though - unless your name is Christopher Steele and the fella was carrying an umbrella  :P

Haha I think it was raining a wee bit that day so it's plausible he was carrying an umbrella :-\ ;D

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
I had a strange thing happen to me as well.

Two days ago I was speaking to my missus at lunch and saying that learning Russian could be a good idea as there aren't too many people that speak English, Spanish and Russian. Later that day, out of the blue, not an ad, but a man rang the doorbell to our apartment asking if I knew anybody that spoke Russian. I'm still pretty gobsmacked by it all ;D :o What a coincidence. Or not?

Ignore the doubters mate - it is obvious to me that someone was listening in and decided to try and flog you a Russian.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
And now someone's just taking the mickey, the other day someone called the doorbell again asking if I knew something about a family from Romania. ;D

EDIT: As a note - I'm going to Timisoara (Romania) in May to play some football with my team and have been speaking about it lately as we've been looking for flats et al. But surely this can't have anything to do with this other random event? :-\
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:28:35 am by MikaelLFC »

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fuck the lot of yers, you'll all be apologising to the enlightened ones on this thread when the truth comes out.  ;)
Sorry to quote myself but in light of the news story about Cambridge Analytica at the moment I'd just like to say this... If any of you doubters want to backtrack before the whole story comes out that'll be ok with me.  :wave

Of course I can't speak for Kidder on this thread but I'm sure he'll also be happy with an apology, in writing of course.  :)
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Sorry to quote myself but in light of the news story about Cambridge Analytica at the moment I'd just like to say this... If any of you doubters want to backtrack before the whole story comes out that'll be ok with me.  :wave

Of course I can't speak for Kidder on this thread but I'm sure he'll also be happy with an apology, in writing of course.  :)

By his own admission in that thread Kidder had 113 apps installed via Facebook - it's hardly surprising he was getting targeted ads.

At the end of the day nothing new has come out with that news, we all knew that people were targeting ads in such ways.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
By his own admission in that thread Kidder had 113 apps installed via Facebook - it's hardly surprising he was getting targeted ads.

At the end of the day nothing new has come out with that news, we all knew that people were targeting ads in such ways.

The man is right - this scandal is the tip of the iceberg and more or less proves that Facebook are hand-in-fist with big corporations to sell your data and you're still in denial that the very salient points in this thread are backed-up by this appaling behaviour.

You're an apologist Craig - blinded by your own experience in this field. You figure that if you can't explain or refute the claims (which have been proven, to a degree, on more than one occasion), that everyone else is an idiot aside from you.

You have taken back-handed potshots at me through this thread and when I have tried to engage with you, you have clammed up, made another snarky comment and wandered off to the latest post-match to do the same there.

You will not admit that this is possible and probably has gone on, and can only argue with people's real-life experiences with mirrored disdain - I've seen plenty of people post qualified arguments with genuine concerns only to be sneered at by you and others who disappear when redeemable sources are posted to back their stories up.

A story comes around which more or less shows Facebook up as being hand-in-glove with companies who meddle in world-state affairs, negatively affecting millions of people around the globe and surreptitiously (and odiously) collecting data from more than dubious methods.

And you're here, trying to spin this onto me - shows you up more than me lad.
Continually on 11,420.