Author Topic: Liverpool news thread  (Read 122442 times)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool news thread
« Reply #280 on: July 23, 2019, 11:30:58 am »
I was interested to see the story in the Echo about a new station to serve the Baltic Triangle that sounds like it's going to happen - always good to hear about new rail infrastructure.

I'm not convinced (like many I think) that Bramley Moore is going to happen - but if it does I assume Sandhills would be close enough or is there talk / plans for any new investment up there too?

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: July 23, 2019, 01:35:40 pm »
I was interested to see the story in the Echo about a new station to serve the Baltic Triangle that sounds like it's going to happen - always good to hear about new rail infrastructure.

I'm not convinced (like many I think) that Bramley Moore is going to happen - but if it does I assume Sandhills would be close enough or is there talk / plans for any new investment up there too?

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/liverpool_st_james/

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: July 24, 2019, 12:25:26 am »
^ nice one. Some great pictures on that site. I must have travelled through and over it thousands of times and never knew it was there.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: July 24, 2019, 08:23:33 pm »
It would be good for the local location if the station was reopened, but there seems a lot of if's, but's, and maybe's, and no end dates in the Echo article.

It's like they're floating it out there to get opinions, with no concrete plans or timescale.

They've been floating the idea of this station reopening for over a decade or more.  And it's still just talk.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: July 25, 2019, 07:17:54 pm »
St James station is in Merseyrail's long term analysis. Not sure about BMD, but there's long been talk of a new Vauxhall station. That would come before Sandhills.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: August 21, 2019, 10:08:38 pm »
I see Walkers Crisps and Linekar inadvertently used Purple Ackie's likeness in a CL final promo video?  Only just seen this on the Metro website, is it old news?

https://metro.co.uk/video/walkers-celebrate-purple-aki-1471489/?ito=video.mweb.share.top.facebook

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: August 30, 2019, 10:14:53 pm »
Finally news on funding approval for two new train stations on Merseyside - St James Place at the Baltic Triangle and Headbolt Lane in Kirkby, which could open the way for a rail link to Skelmersdale.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/new-merseyrail-stations-could-help-16842626

Popcorn's Art

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: October 23, 2019, 08:52:35 am »
The tree of the year 1000 years old

Allerton Oak in Calderstones park will represent UK in Europe-wide competition

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/23/liverpools-1000-year-old-oak-is-englands-tree-of-the-year

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: November 20, 2019, 10:19:53 pm »
Does anyone know what they are doing on Riverside Drive where there was a raised car park, on the right on the way in to town just past the Britannia pub.

There seems to be a fucking big job on?

Online Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: November 21, 2019, 02:20:38 pm »
Saw that too John and wondered the same thing.

Could it be something to do with the big drain that UU installed right along the waterfront a few years ago maybe?.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: November 21, 2019, 04:45:51 pm »
Don't know mate. The preparation has been going on for a month or so but now there's a fuckin big dig with big machinery :)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: November 21, 2019, 06:27:57 pm »
Don't know mate. The preparation has been going on for a month or so but now there's a fuckin big dig with big machinery :)

Players tunnel to BMD?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #292 on: November 21, 2019, 08:36:29 pm »
Big fuckoff parking meters.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #293 on: November 22, 2019, 01:04:34 pm »
Shooting outside my mates last night. Lives next to the Mons

3 shots heard

Forensics and Matrix etc there all night. Cordoned off all morning
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 01:06:29 pm by Capon Debaser »
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: December 11, 2019, 01:02:19 pm »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #295 on: December 11, 2019, 04:36:04 pm »
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: December 13, 2019, 08:31:10 pm »
Last year flying back from Rome the aircraft suddenly powered out of it's landing when we were feet above the runway.  Had to do a flyaround and go again.  Flight was already an hour late and it added another 15-30 minutes on as we had to circle Runcorn.  Not to mention it was fucking scary.

Popcorn's Art

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #297 on: December 13, 2019, 10:59:18 pm »
The tree of the year 1000 years old

Allerton Oak in Calderstones park will represent UK in Europe-wide competition

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/23/liverpools-1000-year-old-oak-is-englands-tree-of-the-year

Fuckin ell. I never knew about the story about the split in tree. If the explosion happened on a boat in the Mersey god knows what happen closer to the river.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #298 on: December 14, 2019, 03:04:27 am »
Fuckin ell. I never knew about the story about the split in tree. If the explosion happened on a boat in the Mersey god knows what happen closer to the river.
The blast could be heard 39 miles away, and most of the gas lamps across Liverpool were blown out by the shock wave. It's amazing that no one was killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lottie_Sleigh
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: December 14, 2019, 08:52:38 am »
Last year flying back from Rome the aircraft suddenly powered out of it's landing when we were feet above the runway.  Had to do a flyaround and go again.  Flight was already an hour late and it added another 15-30 minutes on as we had to circle Runcorn.  Not to mention it was fucking scary.
Any need to disparage Runcorn so?
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: December 14, 2019, 03:22:55 pm »

Reading the Wiki page SoS posted, it wasn;t that bad, more the shockwave doing the damage, luckily no deaths

This is what happened when the Malakand exploded in the Huskisson dock in May 1941 while loaded with about 1,000 tonnes of ammo

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: December 14, 2019, 05:34:46 pm »
The blast could be heard 39 miles away, and most of the gas lamps across Liverpool were blown out by the shock wave. It's amazing that no one was killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lottie_Sleigh

The Lottie Sleigh was a sailing barque built in 1852. She was transporting 11 long tons (11 tonnes) of gunpowder on the River Mersey when she exploded on 15 January 1864. There were no deaths but the explosion caused extensive damage to Birkenhead

So they never bothered repairing Birkenhead after that happened?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: December 14, 2019, 06:40:55 pm »
The Lottie Sleigh was a sailing barque built in 1852. She was transporting 11 long tons (11 tonnes) of gunpowder on the River Mersey when she exploded on 15 January 1864. There were no deaths but the explosion caused extensive damage to Birkenhead

So they never bothered repairing Birkenhead after that happened?
It actually caused extensive improvements to Birkenhead.  :P
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: December 14, 2019, 06:43:51 pm »
Reading the Wiki page SoS posted, it wasn;t that bad, more the shockwave doing the damage, luckily no deaths

This is what happened when the Malakand exploded in the Huskisson dock in May 1941 while loaded with about 1,000 tonnes of ammo

When I first heard that the Allerton Oak was split by an explosion on the Mersey I actually thought it was down to the Malakand. It was only on further reading that I found there was a different explosion attributed to that.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #304 on: December 18, 2019, 11:08:41 pm »

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #305 on: December 19, 2019, 01:46:34 am »
Our punishment for voting Labour ::)
We are a team of one half.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #306 on: December 19, 2019, 01:44:33 pm »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: December 20, 2019, 01:23:38 pm »
What a joke..

Huge blow for new Royal Hospital as opening delayed to 2022

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/crushing-blow-new-royal-liverpool-17439754#ICID=Android_EchoNewsApp_AppShare

Remember that one guy who blocked the development for years? He's probably feeling rather smug right now.

At least the silver lining is that the PFI got binned off and it should be finished with public money.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #308 on: January 6, 2020, 06:03:37 pm »
Grapevine/Gossip/Hearsay/Rumour this but running with it because the source to me is good enough for me to spill..

Nothing spectacular but heard today Liverpool Uni has had plans approved to ring fence the campus which would involve the closure of Brownlow hill & Oxford St roads bringing both areas to be pedestrianised with no through road/route for traffic.
At first I thought no fucking chance..apparently completed in 2022, pretty sure that may be in line with the proposed new Royal to be completed & that road that is currently closed towards town/Pembroke place re-opened.
Watch this space I suppose..

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: January 6, 2020, 06:13:17 pm »
Grapevine/Gossip/Hearsay/Rumour this but running with it because the source to me is good enough for me to spill..

Nothing spectacular but heard today Liverpool Uni has had plans approved to ring fence the campus which would involve the closure of Brownlow hill & Oxford St roads bringing both areas to be pedestrianised with no through road/route for traffic.
At first I thought no fucking chance..apparently completed in 2022, pretty sure that may be in line with the proposed new Royal to be completed & that road that is currently closed towards town/Pembroke place re-opened.
Watch this space I suppose..

It will happen. Manchester did very similar to this with Oxford Road outside the University and supposed to be happening where I work due to the UA92 opening. The Oxford Road one has bus gates, only motorised traffic allowed is buses from 6am to 9PM, there are wider cycle lanes.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: January 6, 2020, 07:07:14 pm »
It will happen. Manchester did very similar to this with Oxford Road outside the University and supposed to be happening where I work due to the UA92 opening. The Oxford Road one has bus gates, only motorised traffic allowed is buses from 6am to 9PM, there are wider cycle lanes.

Oxford road is still full of buses, taxis, delivery vans etc. Hardly closed for traffic. There are no gates either, and I'd be surprised if they issued a single fine yet...
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #311 on: January 7, 2020, 06:43:07 pm »
I see the developer Elliot Lawless has been arrested on fraud and bribery charges - unfortunately means some of his huge developments in the city have now been put on hold which is utter shite.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: January 7, 2020, 06:45:04 pm »
Oxford road is still full of buses, taxis, delivery vans etc. Hardly closed for traffic. There are no gates either, and I'd be surprised if they issued a single fine yet...

They're not physical gates, its just how they named it - it is the signs. I never go into Manchester itself, but I had to pick the missus and her sister up from the Academy last autumn. I went via Mancunian Way and then down the A34, pain in the arse as there was no right turn anywhere. Eventually I was able to go up Grafton Street and I remember it was confusing as fuck, you could hardly see the no traffic turning signs indicating going left and right onto Oxford Road and the times weren't clearly displayed. It was late on a Saturday so I gambled on it.

As for the fines, how about 345,536 and an estimated £10 million in the first 12 months to Aug 2018? :o  Reading up on it, there is murder over it due to the signage being shit

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/oxford-road-bus-lanes-made-15044798

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: January 7, 2020, 08:14:44 pm »
I see the developer Elliot Lawless has been arrested on fraud and bribery charges - unfortunately means some of his huge developments in the city have now been put on hold which is utter shite.

Liverpool City Council's Head of Regeneration was also arrested.

Police seized £200'000 in cash from Lawless which is used for cash transactions.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #314 on: January 11, 2020, 11:07:30 am »
How much you will pay when Liverpool Council Tax goes up again

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpools-council-tax-set-go-17503056#ICID=Android_EchoNewsApp_AppShare

Expected..one thing I don't get is how the council generates £50m less from council tax now (£170m) than it did in 2010 (£220m)?  ???

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: January 11, 2020, 01:07:24 pm »
How much you will pay when Liverpool Council Tax goes up again

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpools-council-tax-set-go-17503056#ICID=Android_EchoNewsApp_AppShare

Expected..one thing I don't get is how the council generates £50m less from council tax now (£170m) than it did in 2010 (£220m)?  ???
That is interesting, I'm not sure if it's wrong. However what I do know as a fact is this year and next year the Council has been able generate more income in Council Tax that recent years. The building about about 3000 new houses has contributed to that significantly.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #316 on: January 21, 2020, 07:42:08 am »
Been in the pipeline for a while now..will be interesting to see how 2 lanes is gonna work!
Great to see a cycle lane tho.

Liverpool's iconic waterfront set for stunning transformation

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/stunning-images-show-how-liverpools-17601305#ICID=Android_EchoNewsApp_AppShare

Use the app.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: January 26, 2020, 08:37:19 pm »
sidebar: I was glancing at random Wikipedia articles (as is my wont) and found myself reading up about National Museums Liverpool.  I was stunned to read that the original National Museums Galleries on Merseyside was originally set up by the Tories when they got wind that Militant Labour in the City were actively considering closing Liverpool's museums and flogging the contents.

I mean, I know they were up to some shady shit back then - Derek Hatton (apparently) profited very handsomely from flogging off Clayton Square for redevelopment, which was all listed buildings at the time - but I never knew anything about this? 

Given it's only Wikipedia can anybody confirm this?  I was only a kid back then.

Popcorn's Art

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: January 28, 2020, 08:54:37 pm »
sidebar: I was glancing at random Wikipedia articles (as is my wont) and found myself reading up about National Museums Liverpool.  I was stunned to read that the original National Museums Galleries on Merseyside was originally set up by the Tories when they got wind that Militant Labour in the City were actively considering closing Liverpool's museums and flogging the contents.

I mean, I know they were up to some shady shit back then - Derek Hatton (apparently) profited very handsomely from flogging off Clayton Square for redevelopment, which was all listed buildings at the time - but I never knew anything about this? 

Given it's only Wikipedia can anybody confirm this?  I was only a kid back then.

It's always worth clicking on the source links at the bottom of the page when on Wikipedia mate. Although it's only Wiki, they do try and provide good sources when they are available.

There's this one:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170415200345/http://theartnewspaper.com/comment/local-collections-should-be-nationalised-to-halt-sell-offs-/

and more comprehensively, this:

https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/wml/history/WML_150_years.pdf

starts at about page 85 for the relevant information. Interesting stuff.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: January 28, 2020, 10:16:51 pm »
It's always worth clicking on the source links at the bottom of the page when on Wikipedia mate. Although it's only Wiki, they do try and provide good sources when they are available.

There's this one:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170415200345/http://theartnewspaper.com/comment/local-collections-should-be-nationalised-to-halt-sell-offs-/

and more comprehensively, this:

https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/wml/history/WML_150_years.pdf

starts at about page 85 for the relevant information. Interesting stuff.

That's fascinating. I'll give it a read when I've got a couple of hours!