Author Topic: 2017 in Music  (Read 100851 times)

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
Re: 2017 in Music
« Reply #1160 on: November 2, 2017, 12:07:10 am »
Brian Turner's session with Sparks from the other day is well worth a listen. Fantastic rendition of 'This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us' behind 5 other musicians. oof.

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/shows/75536

And "Hippopotamus" is another fantastic Sparks album, really is a joy just how wonderful the brothers Mael are, i can't think of many others from their generation still putting out stuff as good.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1161 on: November 2, 2017, 12:24:52 am »
And "Hippopotamus" is another fantastic Sparks album, really is a joy just how wonderful the brothers Mael are, i can't think of many others from their generation still putting out stuff as good.

Gave Hippopotamus a listen last week and enjoyed it, but the session on Brian Turners show was bloody wonderful. Will have to give the new LP another listen tomorrow.

edit: The programme is 3 hours, and its all pretty bloody good. Dedicated to Sparks.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2017, 12:30:40 am by Filler. »

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #1162 on: November 2, 2017, 02:38:43 am »
New Fever Fay dropped, so excited for this. Her previous album is a complete masterpiece imo and one of my favourite albums of the last decade.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1163 on: November 2, 2017, 08:18:25 pm »
New Fever Fay dropped, so excited for this. Her previous album is a complete masterpiece imo and one of my favourite albums of the last decade.
Didn't really know anything about her 'til that music draft, when someone (you, I think!) picked her pretty early on. You were right of course, she's ace. I'll be getting this at some stage, I reckon. Not for a bit though, I'm dividing my music time between the St Vincent album which I still can't stop listening too, revisiting my MF DOOM obsession (man's a fucking genius, though he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth), and new ones from Mick Head, Big KRIT and the Turnpike Troubadours. Not sure if I mentioned the last lot on here, it might be a bit too straight up folk-tinged country rock for many round these parts, but I really like them. Melodic, accessible redneck stuff, lot of fun for a Trump supporter like myself.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6xJBVaJl0lk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6xJBVaJl0lk</a>

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #1164 on: November 2, 2017, 10:30:35 pm »
Didn't really know anything about her 'til that music draft, when someone (you, I think!) picked her pretty early on. You were right of course, she's ace. I'll be getting this at some stage, I reckon. Not for a bit though, I'm dividing my music time between the St Vincent album which I still can't stop listening too, revisiting my MF DOOM obsession (man's a fucking genius, though he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth), and new ones from Mick Head, Big KRIT and the Turnpike Troubadours. Not sure if I mentioned the last lot on here, it might be a bit too straight up folk-tinged country rock for many round these parts, but I really like them. Melodic, accessible redneck stuff, lot of fun for a Trump supporter like myself.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6xJBVaJl0lk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6xJBVaJl0lk</a>
Yep, it was me, right after I took Tom Waits away from someone. ;D

Glad you liked her stuff mate. Her last album went criminally under the radar, but the few people whom I know have listen to it, all think it’s a gem. Still haven’t got around to give her latest a proper listen, working 12 hours a day leaves little room for enjoyment unfortunately, but I will write something when I do.

Some good recommendations there mate, will have to check some of them at some point. I’ve read some not so great reviews on the last St. Vincent, but rawk seems to love it so fuck those guys.
« Last Edit: November 3, 2017, 12:40:01 am by Lastrador »

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1165 on: November 3, 2017, 04:18:24 pm »
Yep, it was me, right after I took Tom Waits away from someone. ;D

Glad you liked her stuff mate. Her last album went criminally under the radar, but the few people whom I know have listen to it, all think it’s a gem. Still haven’t got around to give her latest a proper listen, working 12 hours a day leaves little room for enjoyment unfortunately, but I will write something when I do.

Some good recommendations there mate, will have to check some of them at some point. I’ve read some not so great reviews on the last St. Vincent, but rawk seems to love it so fuck those guys.

;D Yeah, gotta admit, that one still rankles. No Christmas cards for you!

Oh, and I wouldn't bother listening to anything I've recommended mate, Tom Waits aside I have appalling taste.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1166 on: November 8, 2017, 04:12:23 pm »
The song All American Made (album version) by Margo Price is quite a corker.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2017, 04:15:24 pm by Seebab »
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1167 on: November 8, 2017, 05:43:38 pm »
The song All American Made (album version) by Margo Price is quite a corker.

She's great. Loving the album.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1168 on: November 9, 2017, 09:24:35 am »
https://pitchfork.com/news/watch-sturgill-simpson-busk-outside-the-2017-cmas/

Sturgill still giving it to the country establishment...

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1169 on: November 10, 2017, 11:46:38 am »
Seen Big Thief and Margo Price this week.

Big Thief was a trio and was sublime - gained loads more confidence since last gig in Brighton and new songs are amazing. I saw them at Greenman too and they were great.

Margo was in a tiny London venue - fun band and played about 18 tunes. Her band are so strong and she is a proper firecracker live. The sound was perfect too. I see the All American Made song getting a lot of love and she played that acoustic with the crowd singing it back - was quite a moment.

I have Protomartyr and TWOD gig this week then Michael Head and Destroyer left for the year.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:48:24 am by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #1170 on: November 10, 2017, 12:20:00 pm »
soon to be that time of year when compiling the RAWK album of the year list needs some thought...I dont have that much to choose from but gonna try and squeeze some new ones in over next fer weeks....I have an outright winner.. but must say Four Tets New Energy coming up on the rails

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1171 on: November 10, 2017, 12:23:24 pm »
soon to be that time of year when compiling the RAWK album of the year list needs some thought...I dont have that much to choose from but gonna try and squeeze some new ones in over next fer weeks....I have an outright winner.. but must say Four Tets New Energy coming up on the rails

Give the war on drugs a go. Have a feeling it'll be right down your alley.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1172 on: November 10, 2017, 12:28:07 pm »
Give the war on drugs a go. Have a feeling it'll be right down your alley.

Corrected for you. ;)

..though Id be happy to meet WOD in an alley....a dark one.

Though if they look like winning it I'm gonna set up an Altalbum list  ( everything is Alt these days, isnt it?) and restrict entry to artists not artisan's
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:38:23 pm by FlashingBlade »

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1173 on: November 10, 2017, 07:27:09 pm »
That Big Thief gig last night struck a chord like all good ones do - the emotional pull of the songs, the musicianship and that feeling you are witnessing something unique that is about to become massive.

Anyway, stumbled across this article today which is a brilliant read:

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/09/560267308/the-lore-of-big-thief

And then the songs that Arianne and Buck recorded and released are here (beautiful):

https://buckandanne.bandcamp.com

Adrianne's solo stuff:

https://adriannelenker.bandcamp.com

Buck's solo stuff:

https://buckmeek.bandcamp.com
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:56:25 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #1174 on: November 13, 2017, 09:12:25 am »
That Big Thief gig last night struck a chord like all good ones do - the emotional pull of the songs, the musicianship and that feeling you are witnessing something unique that is about to become massive.

Anyway, stumbled across this article today which is a brilliant read:

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/09/560267308/the-lore-of-big-thief

And then the songs that Arianne and Buck recorded and released are here (beautiful):

https://buckandanne.bandcamp.com

Adrianne's solo stuff:

https://adriannelenker.bandcamp.com

Buck's solo stuff:

https://buckmeek.bandcamp.com

Do you know why Buck wasn't joining for this one?

Edit: that's a great article from NPR, cheers!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:30:53 am by telekon »
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1175 on: November 13, 2017, 09:16:48 am »
Shane Richie, Bradley Walsh and Nick Knowles all have albums out. What a time to be alive.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1176 on: November 13, 2017, 01:00:57 pm »
Do you know why Buck wasn't joining for this one?

Edit: that's a great article from NPR, cheers!

He's recording his solo album.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1177 on: November 13, 2017, 03:11:36 pm »

I love the Four Tet album too, so what is your outright winner?

Offline Seebab

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1178 on: November 13, 2017, 03:28:58 pm »
I am not ashamed to admit the WOD album will be in my top 10. Not sure if it will make my number 1 though. I honestly have no idea who will be top this year.

Anyway, currently enjoying Mac de Marco's album This Old Dog. Very hard to dislike his music.

Offline Seebab

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1179 on: November 13, 2017, 03:38:22 pm »
Seen Big Thief and Margo Price this week.

Big Thief was a trio and was sublime - gained loads more confidence since last gig in Brighton and new songs are amazing. I saw them at Greenman too and they were great.

Margo was in a tiny London venue - fun band and played about 18 tunes. Her band are so strong and she is a proper firecracker live. The sound was perfect too. I see the All American Made song getting a lot of love and she played that acoustic with the crowd singing it back - was quite a moment.

I have Protomartyr and TWOD gig this week then Michael Head and Destroyer left for the year.

It is really an excellent song.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1180 on: November 14, 2017, 04:14:43 pm »

Hmmm, I have 3-4 that are competing for the #1 spot (Kid Francescoli, Alvvays, Cende, Makthaverskan) and then another 3-4 (Big Thief, The Shins, The War On Drugs) that I'm quite sure will make the list. It's still quite open though. Wasn't too inspired by this year. Have had debut albums as winners for the last 3 years, don't think that will happen this year.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1181 on: November 14, 2017, 05:28:48 pm »
I love the Four Tet album too, so what is your outright winner?

Well I shouldn't really let the cat out the bag as I know my choice may sway the whole vote and dont want to be accused of Russian style vote influencing...but...Peasant - Richard Dawson ( VOTE PEASANT! VOTE PEASANT!)

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #1182 on: November 15, 2017, 01:10:15 pm »
Saw WoD on Wednesday and thought they were absolutely fantastic. Although playing in the bigger venues, their sound still fills the room beautifully. The new songs sounded immense (except for 'In Chains': rule of thumb - the idea of opening with your best songs is great in principle but for sound level purposes a dangerous precedent and in this case, the poor sound level reduced the greatness of the moment. That was the only glitch, though. Form there, they really turned it on. The older songs sound larger, but still have plenty of emotional weight. Just a great gig. *

* Somewhere in Amsterdam, I hear the belching sounds, made by one Flashing Blade projecting vomit into the nearest bin* :d

Off to see Protomartyr tonight. Didn't have a ticket so was going to take the train to Manchester in hope, but just scored one so made up. Can't wait to see them! It'll be the first time.

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1183 on: November 15, 2017, 01:52:01 pm »
Anyone of you music lovers have any under-the-radar tips for 2017 albums? Everything new sounds really old. Looked through the Pitchfork's best rated list, stuff like Jay Som just sounds like a poor man's Japanese Breakfast from last year. Fever Ray is kind of meh. Lana Del Rey didn't live up to her crazy high standards. Has 2017 really been that uninteresting?

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1184 on: November 15, 2017, 02:08:48 pm »
  ;D

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #1185 on: November 15, 2017, 04:35:10 pm »
Anyone of you music lovers have any under-the-radar tips for 2017 albums? Everything new sounds really old. Looked through the Pitchfork's best rated list, stuff like Jay Som just sounds like a poor man's Japanese Breakfast from last year. Fever Ray is kind of meh. Lana Del Rey didn't live up to her crazy high standards. Has 2017 really been that uninteresting?

The answer to this question is: Drab Majesty- The Demonstration.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #1186 on: November 15, 2017, 05:18:42 pm »
Off to see Protomartyr tonight. Didn't have a ticket so was going to take the train to Manchester in hope, but just scored one so made up. Can't wait to see them! It'll be the first time.
Will see them on Saturday. Really looking forward to it, along with WOD and IDLES they are comfortably in my top ten best of 2017 list. Loads of great shows coming up.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1187 on: November 16, 2017, 07:50:31 pm »
Saw WoD on Wednesday and thought they were absolutely fantastic. Although playing in the bigger venues, their sound still fills the room beautifully. The new songs sounded immense (except for 'In Chains': rule of thumb - the idea of opening with your best songs is great in principle but for sound level purposes a dangerous precedent and in this case, the poor sound level reduced the greatness of the moment. That was the only glitch, though. Form there, they really turned it on. The older songs sound larger, but still have plenty of emotional weight. Just a great gig. *

* Somewhere in Amsterdam, I hear the belching sounds, made by one Flashing Blade projecting vomit into the nearest bin* :d

Saw TWOD last night - incredible sound and pretty perfect from start to finish.

Protomartyr on Sunday were intense - face melting riffs!!

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1188 on: November 17, 2017, 04:01:46 pm »
New Morrissey album released today on Spotify. Not sure what to make of it after a first listen. Some nice tunes but wasn't really moved as opposed to his previous album which I thought was one of his very best.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1189 on: November 19, 2017, 05:39:11 am »
New OCS is out. I'm trying to sort out my headphone situation so I can get it on. OCS is of course the latest reincarnation of Thee Oh Sees. This one features John Dwyer and Brigid Dawson doing more of the psychedelic pop they originally did before the full band came along.

I can't be arsed to change my Tapatalk settings because my time is more important than yours

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1190 on: November 19, 2017, 10:17:14 am »
Help needed..heard a track on Radio from group/Lp thats been recommended here...but I forgot name of group..Ive trawled though a few pages here and it doesnt jump out to me...it was female vocal with a sort of country harmony sound....ring a bell with anyone?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1191 on: November 19, 2017, 10:23:28 am »
Help needed..heard a track on Radio from group/Lp thats been recommended here...but I forgot name of group..Ive trawled though a few pages here and it doesnt jump out to me...it was female vocal with a sort of country harmony sound....ring a bell with anyone?

Hum it to me and I'll see if I know the tune
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1192 on: November 19, 2017, 11:18:27 am »
Only just discovered these local Aussie lads.

The Teskey Bothers - Pain and Misery

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBFZNVxG86o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBFZNVxG86o</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1193 on: November 19, 2017, 11:24:45 am »

What radio station was it?

If it was 6 music it's probably that new First Aid Kit song which seems to get aired every ten minutes...which curiously sounds a lot like a Phoebe Bridgers song, the same chords in the chorus.

If not 6 music, I've no idea ;D

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1194 on: November 19, 2017, 12:03:08 pm »
Polls coming out left, right and centre.

Who owns the Album thread here? Best thread of the year!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1195 on: November 19, 2017, 12:56:49 pm »
New OCS sounds like the soundtrack to a French existential film that had cleaned up at Sundance and Cannes in the nicest possible way. It's a sublime effort.

I can't be arsed to change my Tapatalk settings because my time is more important than yours

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1196 on: November 19, 2017, 01:29:19 pm »
What radio station was it?

If it was 6 music it's probably that new First Aid Kit song which seems to get aired every ten minutes...which curiously sounds a lot like a Phoebe Bridgers song, the same chords in the chorus.

If not 6 music, I've no idea ;D

Spot om mate, cheers! :thumbup ...ne single you said need to check if on LP

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1197 on: November 20, 2017, 02:16:55 pm »
Really loving the first three tracks on the new Karl Blau album, the first 2 especially...then track 4 is utter bobbins. Recovers a bit towards the end but bit gutted the standard drops in the middle of the LP.

That's my theme for the year, great albums ruined by odd middles...

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1198 on: November 21, 2017, 03:19:53 pm »
Heared a track from the Traveling Wilburys on Radio 6 today covering what sounded like a Bruce Springsteen song...the music of Petty and Harrison clearly shone through with that smooth Jeff Lynn production...lovely middle of the road unchallenging dad rock...of course by the time you've read this far you surely know Im talking about WOD not  the Traveling Wilburys ( who earned the right to sound like they did  having already establshed their individual credits in rock n roll)...

Offline Seebab

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1199 on: November 22, 2017, 07:26:55 am »
Heared a track from the Traveling Wilburys on Radio 6 today covering what sounded like a Bruce Springsteen song...the music of Petty and Harrison clearly shone through with that smooth Jeff Lynn production...lovely middle of the road unchallenging dad rock...of course by the time you've read this far you surely know Im talking about WOD not  the Traveling Wilburys ( who earned the right to sound like they did  having already establshed their individual credits in rock n roll)...

Haha, hard to say really. You could have been talking about Tweeter and the Monkey Man, which is a great song though it was written by Petty and Dylan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmAYziKt2pU