Author Topic: Hello Friend - Mr Robot TV series.  (Read 52951 times)

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
Re: Hello Friend - Mr Robot TV series.
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2015, 08:32:15 pm »
I know one thing. I will have to watch it all again when the season finishes once I know what the fuck is going on! The hacking dialogue is the only bit fully clear to me right now  ;D

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2015, 11:13:50 pm »
I think it's what his father looked like but he is still in Elliot's head.

Spoiler
Was convinced he was going to get caught with that body at the end, he was stood around for way too long next to the site of a police breakout with a corpse in his boot!
[close]

Brilliant episode, easily the best thing on TV right now. I don't want to get too OTT, but this has potential to be a top, top level show as long as it doesn't fall off a cliff in the second season

Called the father thing pretty early, but the sister thing through me for a loop!!

The Scandinavian guy is delightfully insane, I think there's a couple big episodes coming up for him, he's gonna do something brilliant I think.

Feel like I need to re watch the series again now I know everything from the last episode
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2015, 09:51:08 am »
I completely missed this the first time but there was a surprise face which popped up in the bathroom mirror scene. I'll spoiler just in case because it's impossible to know what anything on this show means.

Spoiler
Sam Esmail. I did a bit of googling and found a thread about it on the Mr Robot reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/MrRobot/comments/3g2nwq/at_this_point_are_we_even_sure_sam_esmail_is_a/?

[close]

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2015, 10:26:30 am »
This show is absolutely fucking amazing.
:D

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2015, 01:15:58 pm »
This show is absolutely fucking amazing.

I wouldn't go that far, it is very enjoyable but if you read back through the thread you'll see some differing opinions.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2015, 01:19:34 pm »
I wouldn't go that far, it is very enjoyable but if you read back through the thread you'll see some differing opinions.
Xxavi, the same guy who didn't rate Zanetti
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2015, 01:25:26 pm »
Xxavi, the same guy who didn't rate Zanetti

Is Zanetti a tv show? :)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2015, 01:26:32 pm »
Is Zanetti a tv show? :)
well he was on tv a fair few times and put on a show i suppose
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2015, 01:27:05 pm »
well he was on tv a fair few times and put on a show i suppose

True dat mate.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2015, 06:43:28 pm »
Any fans of the 1994 film Hackers? There's a direct reference to the film when they're actually watching it in the motel, but I wondered if WhiteRose was a homage of sorts to Razor and Blade.

I can't tell if this is tongue in cheek.  ???
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 06:57:10 pm by Kashinoda »

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2015, 10:08:15 pm »
Such a great show. This is a showrunner who's very confident with his storylines.

Spoiler
When this show began, all of us who have been conditioned against Tyler Durden-style imaginary characters/constructs, have been trying to decipher Mr. Robot himself: is he real? Does he interact with other characters? How would scenes play out if he weren't real? But to throw in the Darlene-as-sister twist was something none of us had foreseen.

And it means that we have to go back and revisit the earlier episodes. I always thought Darlene was an annoying character: a stereotypical hacker - especially compared to the vibrant Shayla - but now those scenes take on a different complexion. She's a sister worried about her emotionally fragile brother, and with good reason.
[close]

It's a fascinating series, with great characterisation, really good acting, and it's beautifully shot too.
TV show of the year so far. Can't wait for the final two episodes.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2015, 10:31:55 pm »
Spoiler
Great shout with Darlene, I found her character annoying and out of place. When she becomes his sister her entire character works fine, bloody awesome.
[close]

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2015, 05:59:36 am »
Brilliant again.

The tone, the music, the acting and the script. Top notch.

Spoiler
Love the 4th wally stuff again too.

'You've known all along haven't you?'
'Don't make me say it, I'm Mr. Robot'

[close]

And...

Spoiler
Lovely nod to Fight Club with the pixies song at the end there:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ytjN6Qa-Igg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ytjN6Qa-Igg</a>
[close]
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 06:12:39 am by Kashinoda »

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2015, 02:36:30 pm »
Wow, fantastic.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2015, 03:03:24 pm »
I love the way they're playing up to the Fight Club comparisons, with "Where is my mind" playing at the end like at the end of fight club. Was worried at first it wasn't as intelligently written as I thought and it'd descend into a poor man's fight club rip off, but it's exceeded that with ease. It's like they knew the audience would be thinking that, especially with the "I am Mr Robot" part

Another brilliant episode
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Saint Kopite

• but Greavesie's in the Main Stand
  • Legacy Fan
  • “By what right does the wolf judge the lion?”
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2015, 03:46:40 pm »
Another kickass episode. Rami Malek and Sam Esmail, Take a bow!

Spoiler

"You knew it all along, didn't you?"

Damn right Elliot, we did.  :D

And what a wonderful tribute to Fight Club by playing the "Where is my mind?" soundtrack.

[close]
A Liverbird upon my chest, we are the men of Shankly's best. A team that plays the Liverpool way, and wins the championship in May.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2015, 03:59:03 pm »
Rami is boss.

This made me laugh, considering how the show has mindfucked us. They've still got one trick up their sleeves available

Spoiler

His twin brother Sami!
[close]

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2015, 04:17:39 pm »
Was always interested to see what Rami would get up to after The Pacific. He's been nothing short of brilliant.

Spoiler
The great thing is we've known all along - but the show still found a way for us to second guess ourselves. The delivery has just been excellent and love how things are all tying together. Can't wait for the finale.

The Fight Club shout out with that Pixies song at the end though. Fantastic.

Also that last shot with the popcorn - obviously a Chekov's gun reminder that it will come into play at some point.
[close]
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 04:30:09 pm by Melbred »

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2015, 09:02:26 pm »
<3 "You knew all along"

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4NZdggNUvq0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4NZdggNUvq0</a>

« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 09:05:24 pm by Saul Goodman »

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2015, 09:06:58 pm »
Loving this show. Binged the first 9 episodes over the last 3 nights. My problem with doing that is I forget shit, and generally have to rewatch, which I don't like doing.

Spoiler
Maybe I'm remembering scenes that didn't happen, but wasn't there a few scenes where both Elliot and Mr Robot had dialogue with another character? I'm thinking the one where Mr Robot smashed the keyboard when Darlene was going to do something? How does that work if Mr Robot isn't actually real?
[close]
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2015, 09:13:03 pm »
This show is stellar,is it the season finale next week?
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2015, 09:21:06 pm »
Loving this show. Binged the first 9 episodes over the last 3 nights. My problem with doing that is I forget shit, and generally have to rewatch, which I don't like doing.

Spoiler
Maybe I'm remembering scenes that didn't happen, but wasn't there a few scenes where both Elliot and Mr Robot had dialogue with another character? I'm thinking the one where Mr Robot smashed the keyboard when Darlene was going to do something? How does that work if Mr Robot isn't actually real?
[close]

Spoiler
We see the show through what Elliot perceives, Mr. Robot doesn't speak to her at the same time though. There's a clear separation.
[close]

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2015, 09:34:23 pm »
I've purposely avoided rewatching. Normally when it comes to shows that love to cram and get as complex as this one I would find myself constantly going back to refresh my memory in order to keep up; but since Elliot's head is full of holes I figured it would be more fun for me to forget things as well. I did think about binge watching episode one through nine before then sticking the finale on straight after but I'm no longer going to bother. If I've missed clues along the way then I've missed them and whatever happens in the finale will be a bigger surprise because of it. I'll do my rewatch after seeing all ten episodes and then I should hopefully know everything to look out for.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2015, 11:34:21 pm »
Regarding Christian Slater

Spoiler
Does anybody think he may continue in the form of Elliots subconscious? To guide him through life so to speak, like Harry Morgan in Dexter:

Quite a few similarities with Dexter and Mr. Robot actually, I think the show borrows from a lot that's gone before it and does it well.

[close]

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2015, 12:50:09 am »
Spoiler
We see the show through what Elliot perceives, Mr. Robot doesn't speak to her at the same time though. There's a clear separation.
[close]

Spoiler
When they are trying to break into Steel Mountain, Elliott is being directed by Mr Robot who is in the car with the 2 other guys?
[close]

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2015, 01:25:13 am »
Spoiler
When they are trying to break into Steel Mountain, Elliott is being directed by Mr Robot who is in the car with the 2 other guys?
[close]

Spoiler
he's not really in the van, Elliot just imagines he is. He's an unreliable narrator with serious mental issues, the viewer is an extension of his delusions
[close]

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2015, 01:35:56 am »
Spoiler
he's not really in the van, Elliot just imagines he is. He's an unreliable narrator with serious mental issues, the viewer is an extension of his delusions
[close]

Spoiler
Don't the others talk to Mr Robot in the van though? The bit when Mr Robot goes to that guys house who's growing the weed, is that really Elliott? I'm definitely going to have to watch this over again  ;D
[close]

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2015, 01:56:07 am »
Spoiler
Don't the others talk to Mr Robot in the van though? The bit when Mr Robot goes to that guys house who's growing the weed, is that really Elliott? I'm definitely going to have to watch this over again  ;D
[close]

Spoiler
On the 2nd bit.

Elliot's therapist: "You know what I'm thinking about? First time you came to me. I know you're not yelling like before which is good, but I can tell you're still holding onto it. We need to work on your anger issues Elliot, you're angry at everyone... You're hiding again, Elliot. When you hide, your delusions come back. It's a slippery slope."

That's from episode 1, there was an Elliot that was angry and vocal (so much so he had to be ordered to therapy?). Presumably about how much he hates society. The Elliot we meet is an extremely repressed Elliot that has barely raised his voice the entire season (except of course, the last 2 episodes where everything has fallen apart). We're introduced to an Elliot that is hiding. Then Mr Robot appears.

The source of his anger and motivation would be his dead Dad and this is the sole literal function Mr Robot has served throughout the season. All he's done is be angry and push Elliot into doing things. I think it's a manifestation of the crazy side of Elliot that wants to get shit done that he's tried to bury for whatever reason. Seems like he had an incident that pushed him over the edge and we come in some time after.

I know I love a show when I can write paragraphs about it  ;D
[close]

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2015, 05:09:35 am »
i just don't see it.  after a couple of decent eps it's back to poor.  i really didn't enjoy that at all - all so clunky and try-hard, a multiple-facepalm episode, and that's never good.  the quirk is gone and replaced by the most tedious kind of angst.

also the main actor really is very poor.  i'm surprised he gets such acclaim.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2015, 06:30:46 am »
i just don't see it.  after a couple of decent eps it's back to poor.  i really didn't enjoy that at all - all so clunky and try-hard, a multiple-facepalm episode, and that's never good.  the quirk is gone and replaced by the most tedious kind of angst.

Can certainly see why it's not for everyones taste. Personally I think the lead actor plays the role to perfection.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2015, 08:10:33 am »

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2015, 09:33:24 am »
Triffic episode that...the rest of the series is fallen into place over the last two eps....top notch writing

Another show that benefits from not binge watching imo.......the weekly wait is worth it .....a show like this needs time to breathe
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: August 21, 2015, 10:26:18 am »

+1 it's a bit too studied and unnatural for my taste. Too many nods and winks and self awareness. Maybe it'll get interesting now it's had the big reveal. Pity as the pilot was immaculate. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:56:42 am by Chip Evans »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #153 on: August 21, 2015, 04:51:52 pm »
Like the 8th episode, 9th was top notch again. Good acting and music as it was mentioned and I like the fact it keeps its high level of quality despite the twist being out there already.

Spoiler
The graveyard scene was heartbreakingly wonderful. Cannot help but feel for that guy. Malek is doing a wonderful job.
[close]
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: August 21, 2015, 06:50:58 pm »
I love the way the title gets incorporated into the opening credits in this. The way there's no obligatory music montage opening sequence every other show has, and the way it's directed. It's just different to anything else I've watched on TV, and I suppose it's cinematography is probably the biggest reason why I enjoy watching it. That and it's use of music, which is brilliant 70's/80's style sci-fi synth.

Speaking of the opening,
Spoiler
It really rammed home just how far technolgy has moved along in the last two decades. Sitting in a shop surrounded by large CRT's,  SNES cartridges on the shelf, and him talking on the phone to someone about upgrading (upgrading!) to a 800 mb hard drive. He looks in the newspaper for something to watch in the cinema and he picks out Stargate (which I went to see at that time) and Pulp Fiction. It brought back a lot of memories from that time. Then they walk outside, and lo and behold, the title of the show is above the door as the name of the shop. Perfect.
[close]

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #155 on: August 21, 2015, 06:55:31 pm »
Like the 8th episode, 9th was top notch again. Good acting and music as it was mentioned and I like the fact it keeps its high level of quality despite the twist being out there already.

Spoiler
The graveyard scene was heartbreakingly wonderful. Cannot help but feel for that guy. Malek is doing a wonderful job.
[close]

Spoiler
The best thing about that scene is, we all knew the 'twist' so there was no actual shock value. But Malek is incredible and he makes it devastating regardless.
[close]

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #156 on: August 21, 2015, 09:55:46 pm »
A young Elliot goes to see Pulp Fiction.

Angela: 'I think you're going to be OK'
Elliot: 'I'm pretty fucking far from OK'   :D

I just hope that Wellick doesn't go to work on him with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch. 

Marvellous stuff.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:57:50 pm by Ray K »
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2015, 12:31:18 am »
A young Elliot goes to see Pulp Fiction.

Angela: 'I think you're going to be OK'
Elliot: 'I'm pretty fucking far from OK'   :D

I just hope that Wellick doesn't go to work on him with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch. 

Marvellous stuff.

I never even clicked on to that at the time. Immediately thought of Marcellus Wallace when he said it too  ;D

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2015, 06:05:37 am »
Another belter. Brilliant from start to finish. Writing, direction, cinematography, performance, score...it's got it all. Only show I've found that comes close to "The Americans" on all counts. Visually, this show is just stunning.

+1 it's a bit too studied and unnatural for my taste. Too many nods and winks and self awareness. Maybe it'll get interesting now it's had the big reveal. Pity as the pilot was immaculate. 

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU FOOLS???
Justice For The 96

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2015, 03:26:32 pm »
Incredible episode again.