Author Topic: Fulham 1 v Liverpool 2 ‘25 Mané ‘ 80 Milner‘73 Babel  (Read 37167 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Fulham 1 v Liverpool 2 ‘25 Mané ‘ 80 Milner‘73 Babel
« on: March 17, 2019, 01:52:01 pm »

Fulham FC v Liverpool FC

It’s always Fulham.

In recent times, the away tie with Fulham has meant so much more than a routine match with a Premier League also-ran.*

Remember 2009?  Yossi Benayoun found an injury time winner and the away fans bounced to ‘We’re going to win the league!’ for twenty minutes after the final whistle, ignoring pleas to go home on the public address system.

Remember 2011? Maxi Rodriguez’s hat-trick in an exuberant 5-2 win ignited hopes that Kenny Dalglish’s side might accelerate all the way into the European places, a true utopia after the long, dark, ’owl of the soul that had gone before.

Remember 2014? Gerrard’s penalty on that February night, his leap in celebration, his shirt held aloft like a flag of war: we were in a title race once more.

And as we know, as is etched deep and raw on our collective memory, it all came to nothing. Or to the nowhere of second place, as the great man would have it. (Or the nowhere of sixth in 2011.)

I’m writing this after the Everton away and before Burnley. When social media twitches spasmodically with ill-expressed discontent. I have no idea how the results and the hive mind will twist and yaw between my now and this match.

Fulham, of course, are in the relegation zone and highly likely to go straight back down to the Championship. Last month, their owner, the elaborately moustachioed Shahid Khan, sacked Ranieri only three months after appointing him. Alyson Rudd, in The Times, gave the reason for Ranieri’s failure as his inability to unite the squabbling factions within the team he inherited, with Aboubakar Kamara and Aleksandar Mitrovic clashing during a therapeutic yoga and meditation class. Football provides such comedic cameos.

Scott “Scotty” Parker, the caretaker, seems better able to apply a magic sponge to seething egos. But his appointment was not greeted with uniform relief by the Fulham support. Who can blame them? Parker was the assistant to both Jokanovic and Ranieri, and apparently a major figure in the day-to-day coaching of the team. The highlight of his playing career was the 2006 Intertoto Cup and his one game as England captain, appointed - to universal bafflement  - by the insecure interim manager, Stuart Pearce, in preference to Gerrard.

Just one battling defeat to Chelsea later and Scott “Scotty” Parker became the favourite to get the job full-time. One strand of the support argues that Fulham are destined to lose the four games following the change of manager (Chelsea, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester City) and ask only that they can take pride in their performance.

This standard was apparently met by their losing by only one goal to Chelsea on March 3rd. They had chances in the match and were applauded from the pitch. Their xG was 1.2 to Chelsea’s 1.4. I didn’t see the game but stats tell me they had only 36% possession, with five of their 12 shots on target and that they favoured shooting from distance. Against Leicester, they were woeful. Obviously, with such a new, untried manager there’s little to go on. As Spurs’ Under-18 manager – the only time Parker has been in charge of a team before now – he won 12 of his 25 games, preferring a 4-3-3- or 4-2-3-1, with width provided by fullbacks. He favours attacking rather than pragmatic football and claims he won’t change now, preferring to ‘reclaim the Fulham identity’, which suggests he’s given up this season as a lost cause but fancies himself as the permanent manager engineering a bounce-back from the championship. Fulham Captain Tom Cairney is his chief cheerleader and their fans are also looking forward to seeing Ryan Sessegnon restored to a regular place, though he was brought off against Leicester. He should be deeply regretting that he passed up a chance to work with Klopp.

We should be beating them and improving the goal difference. This should, again, be a match of hope, if not wild, raw optimism. So to remember another maxim that dates from recent years (and the unlikely lips of Martin Broughton): keep the faith.

IFor it seems to me that if we don’t win honours this year, they are on their way. With this manager. With this “boot room”. With everything coming together. You can sense it, can’t you?

It’s always Liverpool. And we go again.

* Apologies to any passing Fulham supporter for the description. Fulham are a venerable team, founded in 1879, but their honours are rare enough that they list their runners-up medals and semi-final appearances on their website.

Did you know?

Fulham are looking for their first point against Liverpool since a 1-0 win at Anfield in May 2012.

None of Fulham’s 13 Premier League home meetings with Liverpool have finished as a draw, with the Cottagers winning five and losing eight.

Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah has had a hand in 12 goals in his last eight PL appearances against promoted sides, scoring six goals and producing six assists.

The Reds are unbeaten in their last 11 PL matches against promoted sides (W10 D1), winning the last eight in a row. They have scored 31 goals and conceded just four in that run since a 2-0 loss at Hull City in February 2017.

Referee: Craig Pawson
Assistants: Lee Betts, Richard West
Fourth official: Paul Tierney
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 03:52:31 pm by Preserved for posterity. »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Fulham v Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 01:52:45 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 01:53:23 pm »

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 02:12:45 pm »
Sun is shining, teams are out on the pitch.
Come on reds, expose them for what they are.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 02:16:02 pm »
1 - And we're off. White, green, red. Come on Liverpool.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 02:16:56 pm »
1 - Si Senor is ringing out loudly. We are pressing high and hard straight from the first whistle.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 02:17:46 pm »
2 -Babel down the wing but Trent clears and also wins a throw in.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 02:19:31 pm »
4 - We open up some space on the left and Robbo charges on, but they clear for a throw in.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 02:20:17 pm »
4 - Quick pass from Lallana in the box find Mo but he can't land a good shot. First signs.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 02:23:10 pm »
7 - We're slowly asserting ourselves. There is space to exploit even this early on.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 02:23:11 pm »
That was a lovely ball from Adam there for the Mo chance, beautifully judged.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 02:24:51 pm »
8 - A nice and snappy counter by us, but the final ball from Bobby does not find Mo. Fulham go the other side and it ends in a shot over the bar.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 02:26:56 pm »
11 - Robbo breaks free into their box but Rico collects his ball to our strikers.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 02:28:36 pm »
13 - We combine down the right well, but Mo fouls their left back just before he broke free to run on goal.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 02:28:57 pm »
That was a great take by Andy there controlling the ball while running, a bit disappointing the cross in didn't match that quality.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 02:29:51 pm »
14 - Fulham have slightly more of the ball, but they are finding it hard to even conceptualise how to come close to our goal.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 02:30:44 pm »
15 - Whipped cross from Trent misses Mo and Rico lets it go out for goal kick.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 02:31:10 pm »
16 - Travelling Kop in fine voice. Over to jill.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 02:31:35 pm »
It’s a nice day out in the London sun.  Need to pick it up a little.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 02:31:55 pm »
16' We are definitely upping the tempo a little bit at the  moment

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 02:33:34 pm »
17' Corner to Liverpool after Bobby and Adam combine to snatch the ball. The ball goes in but Matip can't connect properly and the ball goes out for a goal kick.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 02:35:09 pm »
19 A bit of really good play there from Liverpool. First Trent puts in a gorgeous ball and Mo shows exquisite control of gaining the ball but Fulham over power him in the end.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 02:37:39 pm »
21 A messy part of the game, neither team gaining possession of the ball. Fulham are always looking to try and play good football though.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2019, 02:39:09 pm »
23' Babbel showing his quality there, wrong footing Fabhino but his shot goes wide.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 02:39:27 pm »
Fulham certainly looking to sit back and then try to hit us on the break.  A shame for the neutral as they normally play lovely football.  Understandable of course.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 02:40:59 pm »
24' Another good ball from Trent and Bobby puts Adam Lallana through, but we are not quite at the races yet and Fulham manage to regain the ball.

Gooooaaallllll Mane

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
Re: Fulham 0 v Liverpool 1 ‘25 Mané
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2019, 02:41:14 pm »
It’s that Mané again.

Little joke for those who like their WWII British radio comedies.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2019, 02:41:49 pm »
25' A really good goal, a great cross in and Mane is there to finish it off.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
Fulham 0 v Liverpool 1 ‘25 Mané
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 02:41:52 pm »
It’s that Mané again.
He is definitely messin’

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2019, 02:43:15 pm »
He is definitely messin’
He’s messin alright
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2019, 02:43:59 pm »
27 After nicking the ball we gain some possession which ends in a corner. Trent puts it in its cleared but then we regain the ball it is knocked through to Salah who puts in a good shot but its saved by the goalie, who then drops the ball. But manages to recatch it.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2019, 02:45:44 pm »
29 Some nice play for Liverpool, keeping the ball moving pushing Fulham further and further back in absolute control of the game now.

Over to Tepid .

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2019, 02:45:53 pm »
30 for those of you watching in black and white, the reds have the ball
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2019, 02:49:36 pm »
34 I’m still here.

Nothings happening

And then Robertson breaks into the area and his cross is across boa and the goalies knee deflects it away.
dangerous that .
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2019, 02:49:55 pm »
I think that is Mane's second goal away from home, that surprised me.  :o

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2019, 02:52:08 pm »
36 nice play by Babel there.

Babel shows TAA a clean pair of heels.  His cut back finds a Fulham player 20 yards out who fires high  and wide.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2019, 02:52:14 pm »
They are giving us an awful lot of space on the flanks which we haven't really made enough off so far.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2019, 02:52:25 pm »
Babel is giving Trent something to think about.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2019, 02:53:26 pm »
I think that is Mane's second goal away from home, that surprised me.  :o
In the league, in the league....

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2019, 02:53:46 pm »
37. Terrible left footed cross by TAA then a much better one with his wrong foot.

A header drifts across the face of goal.

And now Fabinho is booked for a late challenge.  A touch harsh I reckon.
W