Author Topic: Jordan Henderson  (Read 426614 times)

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
Re: Jordan Henderson
« Reply #160 on: March 4, 2012, 12:21:44 am »
Thought he was fantastic today, and I think it's significant that he put in such a good performance after struggling last Sunday. He doesn't seem to be brimming with confidence in the way that players like Wilshere or Ramsey, but it's really reassuring that he had the determination to recover and put in a good performance today. If he'd started the game badly today no doubt there would have been people in the crowd getting on his back - anyone who watched the game and isn't completely ignorant about the game of football could see that he didn't give the crowd or anyone else to criticise his performance today.

Clearly tackling isn't the strongest part of his game, and maybe it'll never be. Guess what though? Not every player needs to be able to tackle! He does other things, which are equally important, really really well. He presses well, and seems to have the stamina to keep doing it for 90 minutes. He moves the ball quickly and with precision, and he's got an eye for the killer pace. His movement off the ball is very very good, especially for such a young player, and once he develops a wee bit more composure in front of goal he's going to chip in with plenty of goals. He's probably the only one of our summer signings that has the 'game intelligence' that Benitez looked for in a player.

The thing he hasn't done so far is really boss a game, but he has done at a lower level for the U21s. That gives me confidence that, as he develops over the next couple of seasons, he's capable of having the same impact in big games for Liverpool.

Of course he's not he finished article - he's only 21! It's all there though - with the right mentality he'll go on to become a regular in our midfield for the next 10 years.

Offline SenorGarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria...
« Reply #161 on: March 4, 2012, 12:24:08 am »
Would like to see him start more games in the centre. I think playing alongside Stevie with Spearing behind could help really push forward Jordan's game and make him much more confident around the edge of the box.

Clearly a very talented player and I have no doubt that in the future he will justify his price tag.
"A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Liverpool Football Club from every other team. The supporters." - Luis Javier García Sanz

Thanks Kenny, for making us believe again. YNWA

Offline masterbaker

• kneads a good rise.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me
« Reply #162 on: March 4, 2012, 12:25:15 am »
i thought he played well today, passing was quick and incisive and he was on the move all the time, expect when he got to the 18 yard line, then he would do his usual thing of thinking his parts over and not running further, i think there is goals in him but he's gotta take a chance and break past the strikers, is it his natural game to hold back or is he told to do it? i dont know

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: March 4, 2012, 12:25:25 am »
Stop being so unselfish please.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #164 on: March 4, 2012, 12:26:01 am »
Henderson will come good. He looks very promising and he is only 21. I look forward to seeing a midfield of Lucas and Henderson.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: March 4, 2012, 12:27:13 am »
Short of scoring, I thought he was exceptional today for a 21y/o

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #166 on: March 4, 2012, 12:28:02 am »
I don't know how you could say that after he had a pretty good game today.

What did he do? And dont say created the first goal. Hes young and will develop (hopefully). Atm he doesnt offer much at all at right midfield

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
« Reply #167 on: March 4, 2012, 12:30:31 am »
What did he do? And dont say created the first goal. Hes young and will develop (hopefully). Atm he doesnt offer much at all at right midfield

Did you actually watch the game?  :butt

The lad played well today.
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #168 on: March 4, 2012, 12:31:08 am »
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #169 on: March 4, 2012, 12:36:46 am »

In the same way that Lucas offered little when he was first shoe-horned into a different position ??
Jordans best position is CM and thats where we will see the best of him.

In the meantime he's putting in a shift whenever he plays so maybe more people should get behind him - especially when he has a good game like today!
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: March 4, 2012, 12:40:15 am »
An 'every touch' compilation from today would be very nice to see!

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: March 4, 2012, 12:40:31 am »

:odd

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: March 4, 2012, 02:05:12 am »
I thought he was very good today

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #173 on: March 4, 2012, 02:26:14 am »
Stop being so unselfish please.

I think that has a lot to do with confidence, to be honest. He has to back himself a bit more. It's a bit of a catch 22, given a large proportion of our supporters are prepared to start slating the lad at any opportunity.

Offline Madagascherano

• Anny Roader
  • And now you're gonna believe us..
« Reply #174 on: March 4, 2012, 03:12:34 am »
Very impressed today. As others have said, more confidence and his game can improve ten fold.
Showing good promise

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #175 on: March 4, 2012, 03:16:52 am »
I think he played well today, but he needs to try to practice his shooting more.  He needs to give himself a goal of, say, 5 goals next season.
We won it 6 times

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #176 on: March 4, 2012, 09:51:50 am »
Wasnt he good yesterday? Sure thans his 2nd good performance against Arsenal now! He just needs to find that consitency but he has played a lot of games for us this season and some out of position on the right, Im sure when we signed him Kenny proably didnt want to throw him in for so many games but the injury to Lucas and with Gerrard being out for part of the season probably forced it

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #177 on: March 4, 2012, 10:37:36 am »
He was brilliant yesterday.
When discussing Dirk Kuyt's work rate :

I don't think he works as hard as some people claim. No harder, for example, than Stewart Downing.

18 League Titles and 5 European Cups. Get counting.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #178 on: March 4, 2012, 02:31:24 pm »
He should be playing in the middle with Spearing.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: March 4, 2012, 04:53:49 pm »

Fact: If Henderson doesn't play that cross in there Koscielny cannot put the ball in the back of the net. When a player makes a mistake when an opposition players is pressuring them, the player applying the pressure gets praised. Similar circumstances Jordan put their defence under pressure with that cross and Koscielny made a mistake. He will be a big player for us in the future.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: March 4, 2012, 04:54:57 pm »
Think he'll be such an important player for us soon, oozes class and he's only 21 isn't he? Can't wait to see him in the middle in a couple of years, him and Skrtel our best players yesterday.

Offline samlfc

• Main Stander
  • just rawkin'
« Reply #181 on: March 4, 2012, 05:12:55 pm »
looks a very good player to me, especially when he bursts through from midfield,then....
His lack of confidence shows,big time. Same as when he closes opposition players down.
He gets there in plenty of time in 50/50's and seems to hold back. Needs to put in a few shithouse tackles now and then.
 More confidence in himself and he could be a fantastic player.

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: March 4, 2012, 05:17:01 pm »
We should play him in the middle.  He was good, not fantastic against Arsenal.  Lets not go over the top with the criticism or the praise.  He still has a hell of a way to go but at least, he looks like he could develop into a very good player for us.

Offline iiqae

• Anny Roader
« Reply #183 on: March 4, 2012, 09:41:26 pm »
i'll be a henderson apologist just as there was once a calvary to come to lucas' defence.

i'll never fault kenny for buying him as i believe the lad brings fantastic qualities to the club. one of his most admirable qualities is his willingness to play a ball early. he does it perhaps 3-5 times a game; he spots a run/space and attempts a volleyed pass or what not. quite often, it hasn't come off, but that's the sort of quality that can't be taught. with time, he will hopefully become a more refined passer.
however, i'll never understand kenny's treatment of him:

-wide right game after game.
-sacrificed to make room for charlie adam? for as much as people hate adam for squandering possession too easily, henderson would remedy that. now, perhaps you think henderson would represent a swing too far to the opposite side of the pendulum, but as an apologist, i'm going to say that you often see him play conservatively because he is being played wide right. watch him with the u21s. he's by no means a gerrard-like character when he's with england, but you can see him taking a more assertive role when he's played in the middle. and if you pair him up with spearing  who typically does a great job of covering his midfield partner(s), liverpool will prosper all the more.

of the fair few criticisms of him, i would submit that shooting is one. unfortunately, i can't foresee him ever becoming a frank lampardesque goalscorer, but i don't think that's what he should be asked to do in any case. i certainly understand the criticism there though.

i desperately hope he is played alongside lucas in our midfield next season. between him, skrtel, agger and lucas, we would boast a much more grounded, patient and intelligent foundation. frankly, in the way that a lot of people think michael carrick is shit, i see henderson being perceived in a similar way. their respective games are quite diverse, mind you.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2012, 09:48:21 pm by iiqae »

Offline redhokie8

• Kopite
« Reply #184 on: March 4, 2012, 09:50:37 pm »
I think he's shown flashes and he has the ability to keep the ball moving, which I like alot. I think on the whole though this season he's been pretty average even though I think he has a huge upside. He;s still very young and has a lot to learn, I personally think he would benefit greatly from having better players along side him to play with and learn from. Hopefully if lucas can come back an pick up where he left off that will help him a lot. I just like he's still learning his trade and playing with spearing and adam isn't going to give him the freedom he needs to learn. I think given time and the opportunity to play with better players we have the ability to see a very good player. I'm not sure where his best position is either, right behind the striker or more of a holding role. I would like to see him be more adventurous at times though.

Offline iiqae

• Anny Roader
« Reply #185 on: March 4, 2012, 09:53:09 pm »
I think he's shown flashes and he has the ability to keep the ball moving, which I like alot. I think on the whole though this season he's been pretty average even though I think he has a huge upside. He;s still very young and has a lot to learn, I personally think he would benefit greatly from having better players along side him to play with and learn from. Hopefully if lucas can come back an pick up where he left off that will help him a lot. I just like he's still learning his trade and playing with spearing and adam isn't going to give him the freedom he needs to learn. I think given time and the opportunity to play with better players we have the ability to see a very good player. I'm not sure where his best position is either, right behind the striker or more of a holding role. I would like to see him be more adventurous at times though.

his foremost quality is retention. to that extent, it seems apparent to me that his natural position is in a midfield two with lucas.

not enough guile/goal threat to play behind a striker.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2012, 09:56:31 pm by iiqae »

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: March 4, 2012, 09:58:18 pm »
Noticed on the BBC commentary yesterday, and for the semi against City, that Alan Green really seems to have it in for him...fair enough if you don't rate him, but he seems to go out of his way to criticise him, when there have been far worse players for us this season. Not sure what his problem is. For what it's worth, I think he's got potential, he's only 21, would just like to see him impose himself on games a bit more, guess that will come with more confidence though.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #187 on: March 4, 2012, 09:59:48 pm »
Probably our best pass and move player?

Offline iiqae

• Anny Roader
« Reply #188 on: March 4, 2012, 10:01:27 pm »

maxi? aurellio? lucas?
not going to argue with you though. they're all up there in my book.

no coincidence they comprise four of my five favorite players on the team.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #189 on: March 4, 2012, 10:24:46 pm »
I think he's progressing nicely. Not a fan of him on te right side though.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline cockneyscouse

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a red and white kop
« Reply #190 on: March 4, 2012, 10:26:40 pm »
This guy is going to be top draw.  I like his confidence and even when he's made a mistake he just gets on with it.  I can't put my finger on it but he's got intelligence that belies his years.

Offline iiqae

• Anny Roader
« Reply #191 on: March 4, 2012, 10:31:09 pm »
This guy is going to be top draw.  I like his confidence and even when he's made a mistake he just gets on with it.  I can't put my finger on it but he's got intelligence that belies his years.

i think you put your finger on it.

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #192 on: March 4, 2012, 10:31:59 pm »

That is just simply not true. In fact, its exactly the problem with Henderson. Has a good technique and he's intellegent, but he bottles it in the final third. ie. never shooting, passing sideways, not busting a gut to get in the box

He will come good though, I like him and he was good yesterday. Not outstanding.
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline El_Pistolero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: March 4, 2012, 10:33:20 pm »
That is just simply not true. In fact, its exactly the problem with Henderson. Has a good technique and he's intellegent, but he bottles it in the final third. ie. never shooting, passing sideways, not busting a gut to get in the box

He will come good though, I like him and he was good yesterday. Not outstanding.

You could argue the not shooting/passing thing, I'd agree on the whole, but doesn't bust a gut to get into the box? That's a load of old bollocks.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #194 on: March 4, 2012, 10:40:56 pm »
</snip>

Good post. It's getting to the point of annoyance now seeing him always stranded out there. It's obvious we have players who can play there, and it's obvious he struggles out there to get involved.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #195 on: March 4, 2012, 10:43:47 pm »
Good post. It's getting to the point of annoyance now seeing him always stranded out there. It's obvious we have players who can play there, and it's obvious he struggles out there to get involved.

That will all change when we buy better wide players.

In a year or two I hope to see a centre mid of Lucas and Henderson with two top quality, pacey wide players.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #196 on: March 5, 2012, 12:01:58 am »
I thought he had one of his best games for us against Arsenal.

He is always looking for the safe option and retaining possession,
instead of trying to make things happen and playing with a bit more aggression.

He is still a work in progress at 21 but as others have mentioned he will be more at home in the center of midfield,
but I thought Jay had a blinder there on Saturday.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: March 5, 2012, 12:04:28 am »
He needs to be more assertive, but I suppose that will come with age.

Whenever he has it, he is tidy and keeps possession well - the next step is to create space for himself and find the killer pass.

Would also help if we stopped playing him out on the wing.

Offline SenorGarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria...
« Reply #198 on: March 5, 2012, 12:14:33 am »

Just another quick point on Jordan that this point made me think of.
His style of play and use pass and move is uncharacteristic for most young British players.

Rather than being more of a Gerrard or a Lampard, if I had to draw a comparison it would be to Xavi of Barcelona. Maybe not in terms of quality yet but in terms of the way he links up play with short little passes and good flicks reminds me of him. If he could be a bit more daring with some of his passes then we'll have a top player on our hands.

One thing's for sure, England's future centre midfield partnering of Henderson and Wilshere looks pretty good considering their age.
And that's even without considering Jonjo.
"A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Liverpool Football Club from every other team. The supporters." - Luis Javier García Sanz

Thanks Kenny, for making us believe again. YNWA

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: March 5, 2012, 12:18:26 am »
One thing's for sure, England's future centre midfield partnering of Henderson and Wilshere looks pretty good considering their age.
And that's even without considering Jonjo.

I think there is too big a gulf in class between Wilshere and Henderson though.