Author Topic: FIFA wants a World Cup every two years  (Read 9772 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: FIFA wants a World Cup every two years
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2021, 09:54:49 am »
If they're that desperate for a bi-annual tournament, just play the qualifiers as a single block two years prior to the WC. Do the same with the regional events - then you can have a get together every fucking year and do away with the pointless friendlies as every international game becomes competitive.

Yeah, it's a shit idea, but it's still more thought out than fifa's garbage ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2021, 10:23:12 am »
If they're that desperate for a bi-annual tournament, just play the qualifiers as a single block two years prior to the WC. Do the same with the regional events - then you can have a get together every fucking year and do away with the pointless friendlies as every international game becomes competitive.

Yeah, it's a shit idea, but it's still more thought out than fifa's garbage ;D

I was thinking this yesterday. Just do the internationals in one block every year and keep the season uninterrupted.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2021, 11:51:49 am »
The game will eat itself with greed eventually.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2021, 11:53:34 am »
We need 37 World Cups a year and four on Thursdays.

You're all just so negative.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2021, 12:09:35 pm »
The game will eat itself with greed eventually.
I think that the clubs might start a war with FIFA on this after the debacle of the Brazil team.

FIFA and the national teams need to remember who pay the players' wages. Surely the clubs can't carry on subsidising international football with the risk of injuries.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2021, 12:29:24 pm »
I was thinking this yesterday. Just do the internationals in one block every year and keep the season uninterrupted.

This is what Wenger wants. Play the qualifiers in October and have a summer tournament. No other internationals. Whether that's feasible remains to be seen. A bi-annual World Cup is still a bad idea, but it's a good idea financially and that's all that matters.

I did see another article where it was October and potentially March to play the qualifiers. So that'd be still two full months of the season to fit all the qualifiers in.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2021, 12:49:31 pm »
From the BBC
Liverpool boss Jürgen Klopp on the possibility of a World Cup every two years:
"There is no other sport in the world with such a relentless calendar. No physical sport. There are more demanding sports like athletics and marathons but they don't run 20 or 30 or 40 a year. We all know why it's happening. Whatever people say that it's about giving different countries opportunities, in the end it's all about money, that's how it is.

"That's fine. But in the end, at one point somebody has to start understanding that without the players - the most important ingredients of this wonderful game - we cannot play it. Nobody is more important than the players.

"Imagine if every two years there is a World Cup and there will be a European Championship every two years. That means for top class players they play every year a big tournament. That means they have a three week break every year. All things which came up in the last few years as new ideas were always about more games. That's not right in the long term.

"It's absolutely not important what I say obviously, but nobody thought about the players when they decided the last game is Friday morning at 1:30 our time. And the next game could have been Saturday. But they don't care, they just don't care. It's always one main interest, and all the rest is not interesting. There must be a point when all the confederations sit together and start thinking about the game and not only about their benefit. I'm already 54, I'm not sure if I'll be alive when that happens."

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2021, 01:19:30 pm »
We're very fortunate to have Jurgen, he's an ambassador for football when he speaks on these issues.

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2021, 01:35:42 pm »
I really wish something not called a “super” league alternative came in with different branding.

I’m keeping a close eye on the European Court of Justice ruling on the ESL. I don’t want that closed shop rubbish to succeed. But I DO want an alternative governing body in football where the clubs are in charge. This idea that FIFA and UEFA are only allowed to run football is ridiculous.

Look at the NFL, when the XFL was created did the mainstream media call that a breakaway? No because although those were new clubs not breaking away, no one said the National Football League owns the rights to American Football. I’m really hoping the ECJ are able to prove that FIFA and UEFA don’t own the rights to 11 people kicking a ball. We need reform in football, but why do we expect it from the people making it worse?

We need control to create things such as -

Where a European final between two teams is fans only but no delegates. Look at the capacity of the Wanda Metro and how many allocation we had. This delegates stuff is getting bigger and bigger by the year.

Where club football takes precedence before internationals and FIFA have no power to stop it

Where oil clubs don’t get to run wild

Where broadcasters don’t decide we play 12:30pm on a Saturday after a Wednesday night game, because Amazon or DAZN work WITH not AGAINST the clubs.

The ESL tarnished the potential of a breakaway governing body and set us back years!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 01:43:22 pm by Lynx the saucy mynx »

Offline Red Being

• Anny Roader
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2021, 04:50:20 pm »
Firstly, why is 4 years too long now? Is it because people what things instantaneously in modern society? The football at the WC is also not the best football in the world.

You do realise that UEFA, CONMEBOL, etc all need their cash cow tournaments. And that's not including the Olympics who have football as being their # 1 or 2 most watched team sport. FIFA doesn't pay the players and all those confederations control the continental football tournaments that all the clubs play in.

yep, sort of. FIFA is not just a regulatory body - money is obviously important for them. If not changed, the long gap will ultimately be detrimental to 'development' of international football. WC is a worldwide spectacle - it is just moving in the direction of one - irrespective of actual quality.
Got a feeling they will make this work - given the extra money, opposition can be silenced. And, a feeling that the football calendar is already congested exists, so a reduction in qualification rounds is guaranteed.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2021, 06:29:45 pm »
Official: The South American Confederation (CONMEBOL) announces that it is against FIFA's plan to hold the World Cup every two years.

The South American Football Confederation has said it no longer supports the project because technical analysis shows it is "extremely useless." https://t.co/69nc1E0dg4

Conmebol joins UEFA in opposing the proposal.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2021, 09:50:24 am »
Looks like it's unlikely to go ahead, for which thank god.

It won't solve any of the other big problems with the game but it's something.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2021, 10:15:02 am »
I really wish something not called a “super” league alternative came in with different branding.

I’m keeping a close eye on the European Court of Justice ruling on the ESL. I don’t want that closed shop rubbish to succeed. But I DO want an alternative governing body in football where the clubs are in charge. This idea that FIFA and UEFA are only allowed to run football is ridiculous.

Look at the NFL, when the XFL was created did the mainstream media call that a breakaway? No because although those were new clubs not breaking away, no one said the National Football League owns the rights to American Football. I’m really hoping the ECJ are able to prove that FIFA and UEFA don’t own the rights to 11 people kicking a ball. We need reform in football, but why do we expect it from the people making it worse?

We need control to create things such as -

Where a European final between two teams is fans only but no delegates. Look at the capacity of the Wanda Metro and how many allocation we had. This delegates stuff is getting bigger and bigger by the year.

Where club football takes precedence before internationals and FIFA have no power to stop it

Where oil clubs don’t get to run wild

Where broadcasters don’t decide we play 12:30pm on a Saturday after a Wednesday night game, because Amazon or DAZN work WITH not AGAINST the clubs.

The ESL tarnished the potential of a breakaway governing body and set us back years!
That’s a decent summary of the key issues mate. I’d add the role and remuneration of agents, pricing of Tv coverage and admission prices.
I don’t have an issue with the players earning a good share of the cake, I’d prefer that to owners hoovering it up, but my issue is the size of the cake to begin with. It’s artificially high and fans pay, either directly or indirectly.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2021, 12:01:46 pm »
Gianni Infantino (FIFA President): "The Super Bowl is played every year, so why not a World Cup every 2 years?"

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/12432472/biennial-world-cup-proposal-defended-by-fifa-president-gianni-infantino

"Because it is a magic tournament is perhaps why it should happen more often," said Gianni Infantino in defence of FIFA's proposals. "You have the Super Bowl every year, Wimbledon or the Champions League every year, and everyone is excited and waiting for it."

Because it's a domestic competition which every country has you fucking idiot.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2021, 12:08:01 pm »
Gianni Infantino (FIFA President): "The Super Bowl is played every year, so why not a World Cup every 2 years?"

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/12432472/biennial-world-cup-proposal-defended-by-fifa-president-gianni-infantino

"Because it is a magic tournament is perhaps why it should happen more often," said Gianni Infantino in defence of FIFA's proposals. "You have the Super Bowl every year, Wimbledon or the Champions League every year, and everyone is excited and waiting for it."

You just get the feeling the don't give a fuck and will push it through regardless, the money incentive for them and their own families is too big. He seems to be firmly pushing back here, likely it will get put through at some point, they will just ignore the critics however loud they are. They see the oil states pumping money everywhere and they want more of it.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2021, 12:10:03 pm »
At some point the clubs are going to band together and fuck off FIFA & their UEFA, etc minions.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2021, 12:40:27 pm »
At some point the clubs are going to band together and fuck off FIFA & their UEFA, etc minions.

There is no way on earth the owners of the bigger clubs all across Europe will continue to put up with this shit. Amazon wants the rights, the TV money is there, why do we need FIFA and UEFA anymore anyway?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2021, 01:26:47 pm »

;D Fucking hell, he chats some shit doesn't he? Why every 2 years if Wimbledon etc are so special, have it every year like they do. The Euro's, Copa America etc would want one every year as well in that case so could have season - August - end of May. Euro's/Copa June. World Cup July to Mid August. Mid August/End of August new season starts. Perfect!

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2021, 01:37:45 pm »
;D Fucking hell, he chats some shit doesn't he? Why every 2 years if Wimbledon etc are so special, have it every year like they do. The Euro's, Copa America etc would want one every year as well in that case so could have season - August - end of May. Euro's/Copa June. World Cup July to Mid August. Mid August/End of August new season starts. Perfect!

Lol. such assholes at FIFA/UEFA and all other governing organizations. The players will get August 15th off for holiday - which is sufficient.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2021, 01:52:34 pm »

Also, it somehow escapes him that the Super Bowl and the Champions League are contested by clubs that pay their players' wages, and at Wimbledon it's individual players that pocket the cash. He should come up with some other top annual event where professional players dedicate a month or more of their time to play for organisations that don't pay their wages.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2021, 02:01:41 pm »
Also, it somehow escapes him that the Super Bowl and the Champions League are contested by clubs that pay their players' wages, and at Wimbledon it's individual players that pocket the cash. He should come up with some other top annual event where professional players dedicate a month or more of their time to play for organisations that don't pay their wages.
OK Gianni.
You have your biennial world cup, but your organisation pays 50% of the players' annual salaries each world cup year plus a % of their transfer/signing on fees.

It's a capital lite gig they've got going on there. Strangle the clubs in all sorts of clauses that mean they have to release their players, sell the sponsorships, sell the TV rights, take bungs for tournament hosting.

It's all one way and it needs to stop.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2021, 02:38:17 pm »

NFL players only get paid for regular season games, playoffs & super bowl are bonus add on's if they're included in the contracts.
#Sausages

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2021, 02:52:56 pm »
If he and some of the smaller regional organisations want a biennial world cup, whilst there is lots of opposition from the larger regions then surely there is a simple solution. That the big countries play every 4 years and any region that wants to can participate every 2 years in a lesser tournament that still provides them with more of a testing tournament than their current regional tournament? Effectively like a Europa League version of the world cup

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2021, 02:54:27 pm »
Whens the Saudi world cup then?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2021, 03:07:25 pm »
Whens the Saudi world cup then?

You arent wrong Rob wasnt this guy spotted with the Saudis whilst the ESL fall out happened.

They will get a world cup within 20 years no doubt.

Holland a proud football nation has never held a world cup yet we have likes of Qatar getting one !

China/Saudi wont be too far away now.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2021, 03:53:16 pm »
Yes Infantino was meeting MBS in Saudi not so long ago. Saudi and Italy are looking into a joint bid for the World Cup but if this 2 year plan goes ahead they won't even need the Italians.

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2021, 04:26:29 pm »
Infantino and FIFA absolutely gagging for even more money never mind the sport,surprise surprise.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2021, 04:51:27 pm »
Infantino and FIFA absolutely gagging for even more money never mind the sport,surprise surprise.

An extra World Cup doubles their revenues. They make far less than UEFA who get their annual revenue from the CL, rather than a World Cup every 4 years.

Infantino even by football's standards is a shameless money grabber.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2021, 04:03:12 pm »
Interesting article in The Athletic from Michael Cox saying an alternative could be have a World Cup every 2 years but the extra one without Europe and South America who are the federations opposed to it. It could still earn FIFA their revenues, give someone else a chance of winning, while still reaching huge audiences and produce interest (basically all of Asia and Africa and North America).

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2021, 04:06:51 pm »
Interesting article in The Athletic from Michael Cox saying an alternative could be have a World Cup every 2 years but the extra one without Europe and South America who are the federations opposed to it. It could still earn FIFA their revenues, give someone else a chance of winning, while still reaching huge audiences and produce interest (basically all of Asia and Africa and North America).
Mexico liked that.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2021, 04:14:01 pm »

Good luck finding sponsors who'll pay the same for that one
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2021, 05:46:34 pm »

What would it be called? World Cup Kind of like Europa league version?

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2021, 08:39:49 pm »
Good luck finding sponsors who'll pay the same for that one

They won't pay the same but FIFA's revenues are tied into a once in 4 year World Cup, so it'll still give them a cash grab.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2021, 08:40:17 pm »
What would it be called? World Cup Kind of like Europa league version?

The World Series

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2021, 09:01:07 pm »

Obvious problem with that plan would be the amount of players in the european leagues that would have their countries calling them up to play in the europa league world cups.

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2021, 06:11:31 pm »
So Wenger's solution to his awful world cup every 2 years plan is to hold a meeting with all the national team managers. And what the fuck would that achieve? The players themselves and the clubs (you know, the ones who actually pay them) are the ones most negatively affected by the ridiculous increase in games being proposed. Not to mention the fans, who will see the world cup being totally diluted in impact.

But yeah, better meet with the national team coaches, who might be some of the only ones outside of FIFA administration who have nothing against the plans. Mad.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2021, 08:36:01 pm »
Obvious problem with that plan would be the amount of players in the european leagues that would have their countries calling them up to play in the europa league world cups.

We lose players to the AFCON and Copa America practically every year as it is.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2022, 02:41:32 pm »
Fifa president: more World Cups could save African migrants from death in the sea

Gianni Infantino makes remarks to Council of Europe assembly
Outrage at comments related to biennial World Cup plan

The president of Fifa, Gianni Infantino, has said his plans for a World Cup every two years could stop African migrants from finding “death in the sea”, in an extraordinary address to European politicians.

Speaking at a session of the parliamentary assembly of the Council of Europe, a trans-national body dedicated to the support of human rights, Infantino said that countries outside Europe needed greater access to national football competitions to prevent drastic consequences.

Infantino was discussing his strategy known as the Future of Football, which to this point has concentrated on doubling the frequency of Fifa’s flagship competition.

He told the assembly: “This topic is not about whether we want a World Cup every two years, but about what do we want to do for the future of football.

“If we think about rest of world,” he continued, “and the vast majority of Europe, then we have to think about what football brings. Football is about opportunity, about hope, about the national teams. We cannot say to the rest of world give us your money, but watch us on TV. We need to include them.

“We need to find ways to include the whole world to give hope to Africans so that they don’t need to cross the Mediterranean in order to find maybe a better life but, more probably, death in the sea.

“We need to give opportunities, to give dignity. Not by charity but by allowing the rest of the world to participate. Maybe the World Cup every two years is not the answer. We discuss it.”

The Future of Football project, led by the former Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger, has been widely rejected by European football and its political organisations. Infantino was speaking after the British politician Lord Foulkes had presented a report on football reform, which specifically questioned “the advisability” of the biennial World Cup plan.

Infantino’s remarks provoked immediate outrage. Ronan Evain, the chief executive of Football Supporters Europe, tweeted: “How low can Infantino go? Instrumentalising death in the Mediterranean to sell his megalomaniac plan is beyond words.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jan/26/fifa-gianni-infantino-biennial-world-cup-could-save-african-migrants-from-death-in-the-sea

c*nt
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2022, 02:43:31 pm »
Despicable bold brazen and corrupt thundercunt.