Author Topic: The 2021 Formula 1 “Gives you whinge…”  (Read 314914 times)

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The 2021 Formula 1 “Gives you whinge…”
« Reply #5320 on: October 16, 2021, 09:37:51 pm »
Mercedes Petronas is about to become Mercedes Aramco. Just when you thought you couldn't get enough of the Saudi sports washing. A couple of years after Ineos invested 2 billion in Saudi Aramco. Writing was on the wall I guess.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5321 on: October 16, 2021, 10:01:03 pm »
Another one on the reasons for absolutely despising everything about that team then  :butt
Linudden.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #5323 on: October 21, 2021, 09:25:45 pm »
Very surprised they made those results transparent.

Nothing in there is very surprising. It's still way too expensive to go to races. Lack of overtaking is a big issue. Silverstone, Monza, Monaco and Spa are the favourite tracks. Pay TV is a pain but prefer to watch entire race.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #5324 on: October 22, 2021, 04:40:37 pm »
Ricciardo has been hilarious this week so far.  The outfits, bad accent and Dale Earnhardt tribute are going to win him some fans.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #5325 on: October 22, 2021, 05:58:25 pm »
Bottas taking a new power unit.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #5326 on: October 22, 2021, 06:00:48 pm »
just the engine by all accounts, 10 place drop.

the more the merrier.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #5327 on: October 22, 2021, 06:06:07 pm »
just the engine by all accounts, 10 place drop.

the more the merrier.
Only 5 places apparently.

You get a 10 place penalty for your 4th engine and 5 place penalty for any other engine after that.

I’m sure there’s a valid reason for that…..
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 06:10:16 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #5328 on: October 22, 2021, 06:09:45 pm »
Something odd going on there surely. He’s had like 3 engines in 4 or 5 races now?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #5329 on: October 22, 2021, 06:10:49 pm »
It looks such a bumpy track.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #5330 on: October 22, 2021, 06:11:49 pm »
Love this helmet cam.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5331 on: October 22, 2021, 06:14:26 pm »
Mercedes Petronas is about to become Mercedes Aramco. Just when you thought you couldn't get enough of the Saudi sports washing. A couple of years after Ineos invested 2 billion in Saudi Aramco. Writing was on the wall I guess.

Didn’t Petronas deny the story?
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #5332 on: October 22, 2021, 06:19:39 pm »
Did Anthony Davidson say Mercedes are going to release some information soon on why they’re so much faster in the straights now?

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #5333 on: October 22, 2021, 06:39:00 pm »
Did Anthony Davidson say Mercedes are going to release some information soon on why they’re so much faster in the straights now?

I'd love it if the information was just a child's drawing of an F1 car with a giant "ZOOOOOOM" coming out of the back.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #5334 on: October 22, 2021, 06:44:32 pm »
I'd love it if the information was just a child's drawing of an F1 car with a giant "ZOOOOOOM" coming out of the back.
:lmao

Or

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #5335 on: October 22, 2021, 06:46:10 pm »
toto wolff with the 'you're being fed with a lot of bullshit' live on sky.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5336 on: October 22, 2021, 07:05:52 pm »
This isn’t looking good for Verstappen or Red Bull if the practice times are anything to go by.
Thinking is overrated.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5337 on: October 22, 2021, 07:24:27 pm »
This isn’t looking good for Verstappen or Red Bull if the practice times are anything to go by.
theyll be fine come qualifying
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #5338 on: October 22, 2021, 07:27:14 pm »
Yeah Whorener was saying Mercedes were running a higher engine mode than usual for FP1 so you’d expect Red Bull to have more performance in the bag.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5339 on: October 22, 2021, 07:29:46 pm »
theyll be fine come qualifying

If it was just Verstappen I could see where your coming from, but with the Mercedes a second ahead of Verstappen and Verstappen 0.5 seconds ahead of the rest I’m not seeing what your seeing.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5340 on: October 22, 2021, 07:59:01 pm »
It's not 0.9 seconds but Red Bull have some work to do. That being said, the track is very green and unrepresentative in FP1 and Max knows he'll be on the front row anyway with Bottas' grid penalty to there's no reason for him to turn up the engine and practice for a qualifying which will have vastly different track conditions. If there's one track where qualifying speed means nothing it's Austin. It's the ultimate tyre-eater and race pace is everything. Ferrari almost grabbed pole with Vettel in 2019 but lost 1 s/lap in race trim due to the tyres going the way of the dinosaurs within a few laps.

As for today then, Ferrari presumably run their old engines during Fridays to save on the new one so those times are unpresentative as well. As for the others, this is simply not a McLaren track and the layout is way too complicated for Checo to get a handle on it in this car the first day.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 08:04:16 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5341 on: October 22, 2021, 09:05:07 pm »
The commentators are talking about some device on the Mercedes that adjusts the ride height and rake of the car, reduces the drag of the car and that’s where the speed is coming from on the straights.
Thinking is overrated.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #5342 on: October 22, 2021, 09:08:41 pm »
The commentators are talking about some device on the Mercedes that adjusts the ride height and rake of the car, reduces the drag of the car and that’s where the speed is coming from on the straights.

The footage di resta was showing in fp1 seemed to show quite a change at the rear of the car

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #5343 on: October 22, 2021, 09:09:59 pm »
Wouldn’t that be considered a movable aerodynamic device though?

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5344 on: October 22, 2021, 09:12:49 pm »
I was thinking it’s more like active suspension and that’s still banned I believe but I would assume they have found a way around that such that whatever they are doing isn’t active suspension and is legal.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #5345 on: October 22, 2021, 09:25:36 pm »
Horner saying they don’t have an issue with the device.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5346 on: October 22, 2021, 09:31:41 pm »
Horner saying they don’t have an issue with the device.

Well assuming it’s not illegal he can’t have a problem with it, and I’m sure Red Bull will be working busily on their own version. Active suspension was a game changer for Williams back in the day so the performance gains from something similar have always been known, just interesting how Mercedes have managed to keep it legal.

Still very intrigued with what’s going on with Bottas’s engines though.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #5347 on: October 22, 2021, 09:36:05 pm »
Well assuming it’s not illegal he can’t have a problem with it, and I’m sure Red Bull will be working busily on their own version. Active suspension was a game changer for Williams back in the day so the performance gains from something similar have always been known, just interesting how Mercedes have managed to keep it legal.

Still very intrigued with what’s going on with Bottas’s engines though.
It might not be something that Li’s easy to incorporate into a current car design. Mercedes could have been working on this for a while with the intention to add it to the car sometime this year.

I’m looking forward to the details too.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5348 on: October 22, 2021, 09:43:13 pm »
It might not be something that Li’s easy to incorporate into a current car design. Mercedes could have been working on this for a while with the intention to add it to the car sometime this year.

I’m looking forward to the details too.

Completely, when I say Red Bull are busy working on their own version I’m talking about for next year, it was like DAS last year, Red Bull were quite open in saying it was too complicated to add in to the car and they became aware of it in pre-season testing.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #5349 on: October 22, 2021, 09:45:27 pm »
Just found this;

Mercedes are expertly utilising the diffuser stall which all #F1 teams try to maximise in the straights.

In contrast to Paul Di Resta's claims of Mercedes running a "device," in fact this is a mechanical result of legal suspension upgrades and the team's low rake concept.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5350 on: October 22, 2021, 09:53:00 pm »
Just found this;

Mercedes are expertly utilising the diffuser stall which all #F1 teams try to maximise in the straights.

In contrast to Paul Di Resta's claims of Mercedes running a "device," in fact this is a mechanical result of legal suspension upgrades and the team's low rake concept.
Yeah, as I understand it, compression of the rear suspension and some fancy aero  tweaks has allowed them to stall the rear diffuser.  But their concept is really only going to work for low rake cars….  (Maybe high rake cars already do this?)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #5351 on: October 22, 2021, 09:56:28 pm »
Yeah, as I understand it, compression of the rear suspension and some fancy aero  tweaks has allowed them to stall the rear diffuser.  But their concept is really only going to work for low rake cars….  (Maybe high rake cars already do this?)
Just found this which kinda answers your question;

The suspension settings are not changing it's the geometry which is naturally moving under load. It's just that Mercedes and their low rake concept means when the height and angle changes it works more noticably to their advantage.

So maybe it wouldn’t be as effective on the Red Bull.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5352 on: October 23, 2021, 09:44:04 pm »
Haha, Virgil has just been chatting to Max on the F1 show on Sky. Needless to say Max is hoping we win tomorrow, so cut him some slack guys.  ;)

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5353 on: October 23, 2021, 09:57:20 pm »
BBC saying there’s a crack on Verstappens rear wing and they are gluing it, while a rear wing takes a bit longer to change then a front they can surely just swap it? There’s no penalty for changing wings as far as I am aware?
Thinking is overrated.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5354 on: October 23, 2021, 09:58:56 pm »
BBC saying there’s a crack on Verstappens rear wing and they are gluing it, while a rear wing takes a bit longer to change then a front they can surely just swap it? There’s no penalty for changing wings as far as I am aware?
Well they glued Hamilton’s front wing too.

I suspect that cost is the issue $150,000 or so when you could glue it isn’t a difficult choice
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5355 on: October 23, 2021, 10:01:55 pm »
40% chance of rain.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #5356 on: October 23, 2021, 10:03:59 pm »

They swapped it in 3rd practice.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #5357 on: October 23, 2021, 10:08:24 pm »
It would appear the worries after fp1 were unfounded.

Offline Van Halen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5358 on: October 23, 2021, 10:13:48 pm »
Ricciardo has been hilarious this week so far.  The outfits, bad accent and Dale Earnhardt tribute are going to win him some fans.

Indeed he has!  I've loved it and folks eating it up.
His drive in the Dale #3 today, including donuts, blow-out and seeing his reactions have been superb.
Infectious personality.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5359 on: October 23, 2021, 10:14:53 pm »
Well they glued Hamilton’s front wing too.

I suspect that cost is the issue $150,000 or so when you could glue it isn’t a difficult choice

Good point, I’m guessing what they use is a bit stronger then PVA!
Thinking is overrated.