Author Topic: The First Twinges of Autumn.  (Read 23398 times)

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
Re: The First Twinges of Autumn.
« Reply #240 on: September 6, 2020, 05:03:49 pm »
Still persisting with shorts for a while yet. Haven’t worn trousers in the daytime since March!

Stuck with the shorts, actually turned out lovely.

Same here, Nick, worn jeans twice in the evenings since home-based work, March 13th.  Had to buy new jeans as all my pairs have "shrunk" during lockdown  ::)
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: September 1, 2021, 11:15:55 am »
Meteorological autumn started today and feels like it. AMEY have let the trees grow out to ridiculous levels by us, I'm talking over 50ft high and 20/30ft wide, so won't be long until we are knee deep in leaves and the gutters will be blocked. Always puts me in the mood to listen to this

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LzGBQerkvWs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LzGBQerkvWs</a>
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: September 1, 2021, 11:24:00 am »
There's more and more russets, reds and golds appearing in the landscape here.

Berries, leaves and plants changing the colour scheme and a definite chill in the air too.

Time to start planning Christmas 😱

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: September 1, 2021, 12:26:26 pm »
Picked about a 1lb of blackberries last week, lad is making an apple and blackberry crumble this afternoon :thumbup
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: September 1, 2021, 12:38:05 pm »
Picked about a 1lb of blackberries last week, lad is making an apple and blackberry crumble this afternoon :thumbup

As we're both trying to drop some weight I've made blackberry coulis to go with some fat free yoghurt but the way the weather's turned I might be tempted to do a crumble with loads of custard 🤗

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: October 16, 2021, 12:31:15 pm »
A'hhhh Autumn, deffo my favourite time of the year. 

There is something incredibly nostalgic and significant about the annual cascade of autumn leaves.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #246 on: October 16, 2021, 02:46:05 pm »
A'hhhh Autumn, deffo my favourite time of the year. 

There is something incredibly nostalgic and significant about the annual cascade of autumn leaves.

I think it brings back childhood memories of kicking through the leaves, looking for confers, knowing bommie night is getting near followed, by what seemed a centuryaway, Christmas. Halloween didn't exist, duck Apple night was a damp squib.

There's also that feeling that you need to get prepared for winter and partially hibernate.

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: October 16, 2021, 02:59:32 pm »
I think it brings back childhood memories of kicking through the leaves, looking for confers, knowing bommie night is getting near followed, by what seemed a centuryaway, Christmas. Halloween didn't exist, duck Apple night was a damp squib.

There's also that feeling that you need to get prepared for winter and partially hibernate.

A'hh yes, conkers.  I tried all sorts to try and harden them including soaking them in vinegar or giving them a couple of coats of clear varnish.  Nothing seemed to work, they would still be smashed to bits with just one hard whack.    :D

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #248 on: October 16, 2021, 03:55:23 pm »
Whatever happened to kids collecting and playing conkers?

As a youngster in the north of the city, conkers were like gold dust. Some kids would go to places like Formby Hall or Chestnut Avenue in Crosby to collect them.

These days I walk through loads of them scattered on the ground in Sefton Park, and no one seems interested in them at all. Kids are too busy on their phones.

As kids, we were so keen to get them we'd climb trees or throw sticks into trees to get them long before they were even ready.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: October 16, 2021, 08:24:23 pm »
These days I walk through loads of them scattered on the ground in Sefton Park, and no one seems interested in them at all. Kids are too busy on their phones.
As kids, we were so keen to get them we'd climb trees or throw sticks into trees to get them long before they were even ready.
Me & my two mates went to a wedding in Spain about 28 years ago in the Autumn, we were walking down the road and there were conkers all over the pavement. we were picking them up as if they were five-pound notes while the locals had to move in to the road to get past us.

I haven't seen a boss one on the deck for ages though. My youngest daughter is 19 now and doesn't want to watch me throw sticks in to trees anymore :)

Sly on me.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #250 on: October 16, 2021, 08:37:37 pm »

As a youngster in the north of the city, conkers were like gold dust. Some kids would go to places like Formby Hall or Chestnut Avenue in Crosby to collect them.

Phones , Tablets , Game Consoles

Just down from where my parents live there are a couple of Horse Chestnut trees that my brother and me we would spend hours throwing sticks into leaving a trail of leaves , twigs and conker shells on the ground
Nowadays know one bothers , took my now 11 year old daughter a few years ago to try and keep up the tradition but sadly not interested  :(
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 08:41:15 pm by Jono69 »
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: October 16, 2021, 08:47:38 pm »

My wifes stepdad used to take my youngest collecting conkers when he was about 3, he loved doing that with him. The kids aren't bothered with them now, got playstations to keep them amused.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: October 17, 2021, 01:18:26 pm »
Nice conker collecting memories there, Rob, Jono and John.  8)

Simple pleasures that cost nothing are often the best. I loved finding and playing conkers as a kid.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: October 18, 2021, 11:02:29 am »

Chestnut Avenue was a big one for conkers. I'd forgotten about those roads off Moor Lane named after trees. Chestnut, Poplar, Elm I think. You're right though, like gold dust and Chestnut Ave was usually picked clean.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: October 18, 2021, 11:26:56 am »
Chestnut Avenue was a big one for conkers. I'd forgotten about those roads off Moor Lane named after trees. Chestnut, Poplar, Elm I think. You're right though, like gold dust and Chestnut Ave was usually picked clean.
Chestnut Avenue was conker utopia. 😀
Those roads were like another world too, to us kids from council estates. The windmill and the luxury houses with big grounds.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #255 on: October 18, 2021, 11:45:18 am »
Chestnut Avenue was conker utopia. 😀
Those roads were like another world too, to us kids from council estates. The windmill and the luxury houses with big grounds.

I remember that windmill, always caught the eye as we drove past. Haven’t been back in Crosby in about 15 years since a lot of my family have moved away now.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: October 18, 2021, 11:56:26 am »
I remember that windmill, always caught the eye as we drove past. Haven’t been back in Crosby in about 15 years since a lot of my family have moved away now.
Traffic on Moor Lane's still shite. And there's 20mph signs all over the place  :D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #257 on: October 18, 2021, 12:07:20 pm »
Traffic on Moor Lane's still shite. And there's 20mph signs all over the place  :D

Haha thanks, not missing out then?!

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #258 on: October 18, 2021, 12:25:11 pm »
I always think of bonfire night when we get to this time of year. As with conkers, bonfire night is just not the same these days.

When I was a kid we spent weeks stashing wood, doors, old furniture, anything combustible, ready for the big event. I made the effort to do Penny for the Guy too, it was boss, used to sit outside rough arse boozers in Huyton such as The Eagle & Child or The Oak Tree and make a fortune.
Nowadays, kids just aren't interested unless it involves letting off fireworks into peoples houses or shops.

Although years ago a rival gang set robbed all our wood when we at home having our tea. A revenge attack was planned by us, so I emptied everything from under our kitchen sink, aerosols, turps, my mums nail remover, you name it, I threw it all into a carrier bag and tied it up. We then sneaked over to the park where they were having the bonfire, totally oblivious to the parents and kids stood enjoying themselves, threw the bag on and legged it.

It was like a scene from Hiroshima, windows rattled, women and kids screaming and running in all directions and the fire brigade called to the scene.  ;D
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: October 18, 2021, 12:33:21 pm »

That's some lunacy from Sefton Council, they've done the same to Southport, loads of 20mph streets and it's a right pain, you spend more time looking at your speedo than the road - I can judge 30 having been driving since I was 18, but 20mph is alien to me.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: October 18, 2021, 12:46:07 pm »
That's some lunacy from Sefton Council, they've done the same to Southport, loads of 20mph streets and it's a right pain, you spend more time looking at your speedo than the road - I can judge 30 having been driving since I was 18, but 20mph is alien to me.
Must admit, I always thought the 20 was advisory and then on a visit a year or so back I was told it is enforceable. I'd love to know how many tickets have been given out for going above 20.

Don't get me wrong, outside schools etc I'm all for it, but on fairly main, wide roads, it's too much. Especially when combined with traffic calming measures.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: October 18, 2021, 02:50:49 pm »
Must admit, I always thought the 20 was advisory and then on a visit a year or so back I was told it is enforceable. I'd love to know how many tickets have been given out for going above 20.

Don't get me wrong, outside schools etc I'm all for it, but on fairly main, wide roads, it's too much. Especially when combined with traffic calming measures.

Yeah its the official speed limit - they have to get it approved by the Govt.

I'm also all for strict enforcement outside schools, some of the Mums drive like its a fucking F1 start after dropping their little brats off, the dopey twats.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: October 18, 2021, 02:59:48 pm »
20mph huh.

Every time I'm out on my bike and spot a speed camera I put my head down and go for it.  I'm on a mission trying to get a speed ticket for riding my bike.

No luck yet   :D

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: October 18, 2021, 03:15:53 pm »
20mph huh.

Every time I'm out on my bike and spot a speed camera I put my head down and go for it.  I'm on a mission trying to get a speed ticket for riding my bike.

No luck yet   :D

That'd be a hoot.  There were a couple in Southport I could trigger on the motorbike riding towards them, so when a car was approaching the camera I'd nail it and set it off. I did have a mad plan to put a rug on a gag bike and ride past wearing a turban, so it looked like a magic carpet, but never got around to doing that one sadly.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: October 18, 2021, 03:32:01 pm »
That'd be a hoot.  There were a couple in Southport I could trigger on the motorbike riding towards them, so when a car was approaching the camera I'd nail it and set it off. I did have a mad plan to put a rug on a gag bike and ride past wearing a turban, so it looked like a magic carpet, but never got around to doing that one sadly.

Flying carpet, ha hahaha fucking hell man that would be hilarious.
You are into motorbikes aren't you Rob.

Here, watch my little video. I done it a month ago when I had a day out up Scotland. I used my GoPro camera and most of the time used a setting on it called "Warp speed" which, all though I'm just walking at normal speed it records at 30 x normal speed so looks like I'm flying.  Any way, there is a bikers cafe where I went and got some coffee and video'd the motorbikes in the car park, I know nowt about motorbikes but there were some beauties there.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfzn2x9fmRo

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: October 18, 2021, 06:09:01 pm »
Ironically, it was owned for a while by a male porn star called Omar. Ironic, as without its sails, it looks like a giant penis.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 06:13:35 pm by Son of Spion* »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #266 on: October 18, 2021, 06:11:36 pm »
Ironically, it was owned for a while by a male porn star. Ironic, as without its sails, it looks like a giant penis.

Indeed. Home sweet home.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #267 on: October 21, 2021, 12:33:41 am »

Do you think that the first two letters of Autumn and August have a connection ?
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #268 on: October 21, 2021, 02:36:37 pm »
Santa Clause Village already has snow - yay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp4RRAEgpeU

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline LFC_R_BOSS

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #269 on: October 30, 2021, 11:23:16 pm »
Dog shit hidden in leaves = autumn

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: October 30, 2021, 11:55:40 pm »
I hate autumn and despise winter.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: October 31, 2021, 07:36:19 am »
Santa Clause Village already has snow - yay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp4RRAEgpeU

Was chatting to the first choice rep last week, the hotel in Cyprus closes for winter today, so she's off to there after a couple of weeks in the UK. She said its already minus 10 where she is going.

Same here, life on hold for 6 months especially when it gets dark tonight at 5pm

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: October 31, 2021, 09:25:54 am »
Dog shit hidden in leaves = autumn

Yep,always a pleasure.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: October 31, 2021, 09:30:01 am »

So your year is six months long? :D

Mind you Spring can be a bit unreliable as well so make it three months.

November, December and January aren't up to much, mainly because of the lack of light (although the weather can be shite) but come February bit more light and hope.

But Autumn itself is OK. Except for the dog shit in the leaves.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: October 31, 2021, 09:51:18 am »
So your year is six months long? :D

Mind you Spring can be a bit unreliable as well so make it three months.

November, December and January aren't up to much, mainly because of the lack of light (although the weather can be shite) but come February bit more light and hope.

But Autumn itself is OK. Except for the dog shit in the leaves.

Past few years, barring 2020, it has felt like this.

I really dislike the time from now until late Feb, although the Christmas lights at least brighten the streets up during the worst bit. I'm just looking forwards to a week in Tenerife in mid Feb now. 8)

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #275 on: November 1, 2021, 11:14:39 am »
This is going to sound trite, but I don't dislike any of the seasons.

I just want the weather in them to be really pronounced - warm, dry, sunny summers and cold, snowy winters.

I just hate the perpetual autumn that is the British climate for 90%+ of the time
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: November 1, 2021, 11:02:53 pm »
This is going to sound trite, but I don't dislike any of the seasons.

I just want the weather in them to be really pronounced - warm, dry, sunny summers and cold, snowy winters.

I just hate the perpetual autumn that is the British climate for 90%+ of the time

The big problem is the rain. Cold and crisp is great, pissing down rain, running down the back of your neck is shite.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #277 on: November 2, 2021, 07:26:14 am »
I always think of bonfire night when we get to this time of year. As with conkers, bonfire night is just not the same these days.

When I was a kid we spent weeks stashing wood, doors, old furniture, anything combustible, ready for the big event. I made the effort to do Penny for the Guy too, it was boss, used to sit outside rough arse boozers in Huyton such as The Eagle & Child or The Oak Tree and make a fortune.
Nowadays, kids just aren't interested unless it involves letting off fireworks into peoples houses or shops.

Although years ago a rival gang set robbed all our wood when we at home having our tea. A revenge attack was planned by us, so I emptied everything from under our kitchen sink, aerosols, turps, my mums nail remover, you name it, I threw it all into a carrier bag and tied it up. We then sneaked over to the park where they were having the bonfire, totally oblivious to the parents and kids stood enjoying themselves, threw the bag on and legged it.

It was like a scene from Hiroshima, windows rattled, women and kids screaming and running in all directions and the fire brigade called to the scene.  ;D

That would get you a stay at Guantanamo Bay these days!
I remember bonfires on the shore at Cressington Park and lads putting aerosol cans and bean cans in the bommy and standing back before the inevitable explosion. Cans and beans flying through the sky. Happier times.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: November 13, 2021, 04:24:30 pm »
Going to be an Artic blast around mid week, temps dropping to below 7-11 degrees.

Scotland will be getting snow early next week.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: November 15, 2021, 08:53:07 am »
Yesterday mornings jog to the Garden Centre.  Autumn colours are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktaCN9ePQWw