Author Topic: Coutinho  (Read 502661 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Coutinho
« Reply #7760 on: June 2, 2021, 11:21:05 am »
One of the most overrated former players we have had and I was a fan of his but the fact of the matter is he hasnt had a top season since 2018 and has become injury prone as well.

He was a beast for his last season and a half here, lets not rewrite history!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #7761 on: June 2, 2021, 11:52:15 am »
Yeah his last 18 months he was really brilliant. For the most part he was a very good player for us but he was inconsistent, especially in the 14/15 and 15/16 seasons. Sort of like his first 18 months and last 18 months was when he showed his best football, with those couple of seasons in between where he could be very hit and miss. He was still relatively young at the time and not playing in the Liverpool team we've seen since his departure, but for all the good stuff he'd bring he could really frustrate you. I'm glad he did raise his game before moving, even if it was to entice Barcelona to buy him. I was particularly gutted when he just completely didn't turn up for the Europa League final, which was his biggest game for the club really if you look past the climax of the 2013/14 season. Would be very interesting to see if he'd have stayed at Liverpool where he would be and where we would be.

As for getting him back, I'd stay well away. The player we knew is well and truly gone and he'll never get back to that level.

Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7762 on: June 2, 2021, 12:59:07 pm »
He wasnt the only one that played poorly in the Europa league final, very few players came out of that with any credibility.

I think he was inconsistent. There was months he was world class and he scored some absolute screamers when he was here, there was quiet periods just about every season for two months or so.

We might not agree with methods about how he left, I certainly didnt, but as fucking appalled said lets not rewrite history, the manner in which a player left doesnt lessen their talent and I'm sure there has been many players who left clubs to join us down the years and pissed off their current club by doing so.

Look as well at the profit we made on him, we bought him for 8.5m and sold him for well over 100m, we got enough out of him too

Again though, I wouldn't take him back, he isnt the player he was. IF and its a big IF he rejoined for free on a reasonable wage I'd take a punt but he isnt a 100-140m player anymore. I wouldnt even pay 20m for him when we could reinvest elsewhere.

The ship has sailed
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7763 on: June 2, 2021, 02:33:14 pm »

He was, I'm not denying that, but he's been overrated immensely since his departure. Anytime we couldn't find a breakthrough, his name would be brought up as he was Messi, and ignoring the many games where Coutinho played, and we couldn't get a goal against bus parking sides.

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7764 on: June 18, 2021, 01:19:23 am »

He was good but he cost us a lot balance wise to play. In truth he as probably worth about half of what Barca ended up paying.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7765 on: June 18, 2021, 08:12:14 am »
It's a strange one because the player we was when he left was very different to the one he was when he first arrived and was slipping pinpoint through balls in for Sturridge to run onto. By the time he moved he was more of an all-purpose forward who could dribble, shoot from long distances or set players up.

I think the trouble at Barca started when they moved him back into midfield, though I could see him still being able to turn it on playing in front of, say, Fabinho and Hendo and behind a front three. Moot though, as we'd never pay whatever price Barca would demand and have two youngsters who could play in that role anyway. Who knows, maybe Harvey Elliott can grow into that player sooner rather than later.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7766 on: June 18, 2021, 08:45:14 am »
He was good but he cost us a lot balance wise to play. In truth he as probably worth about half of what Barca ended up paying.

Coutinho was the best signing we've ever made. The defensive solidity he brought to the team allowed us to win trophies galore. I challenge anyone to find a single player who strengthens the team defensively as much as Alisson + Van Dijk.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7767 on: June 18, 2021, 06:57:11 pm »
Coutinho was the best signing we've ever made. The defensive solidity he brought to the team allowed us to win trophies galore. I challenge anyone to find a single player who strengthens the team defensively as much as Alisson + Van Dijk.

Kenny Dalglish for one was better - I could add Yeats, St John, Clemence, Keegan, Souness, Becker, Virg and many others to the list of better signings.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7768 on: June 18, 2021, 07:03:56 pm »
Kenny Dalglish for one was better - I could add Yeats, St John, Clemence, Keegan, Souness, Becker, Virg and many others to the list of better signings.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7769 on: June 18, 2021, 07:03:57 pm »
When you reply to a post having only read the first sentence  ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #7770 on: June 19, 2021, 01:35:23 am »

Sangria shows off his inadvertent catch...

;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 01:37:09 am by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #7771 on: June 21, 2021, 08:57:15 am »
He'll find a club, he's still a good player. Could do worse than tip up at Leicester, where Brendan Rodgers loves him and there are some decent players around.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7772 on: June 21, 2021, 09:25:25 am »
Screams a typical Everton signing. They need to keep their quota of a south american 10 that does not want to be there when James fucks off.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #7773 on: October 28, 2021, 12:37:32 am »
100th game for Barcelona and he stank the pitch up.

"Stay here and they will end up building a statue in your honour. Go somewhere else and you will be just another player. Here you can be something more."
                                                                                                                                                                                                              -Jurgen Klopp
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7774 on: October 28, 2021, 11:14:55 am »
Loved him when he was here
We haven't missed him
We got a stupid amount of money for him
His sell, either directly or indirectly, led to the signings of 2 of our top 3 players who amongst the best we have ever had in their positions

Hasn't worked out for him and he was a little prick for how he behaved but I hope he can rekindle the magic that got us £140m, just not against us

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7775 on: October 28, 2021, 11:19:16 am »
There's no way he'll ever get close to those levels again, its four years since he was at his best, he's 29, had a load of injuries and his confidence must be at a point now that even becoming a good player again would be a decent achievement.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7776 on: October 28, 2021, 11:25:39 am »
Loved him when he was here

Loved him even more when he was gone.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7777 on: October 28, 2021, 11:42:05 am »
There's no way he'll ever get close to those levels again, its four years since he was at his best, he's 29, had a load of injuries and his confidence must be at a point now that even becoming a good player again would be a decent achievement.

You are of course right

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7778 on: October 28, 2021, 12:05:49 pm »
Wonder where we would be currently if Barcelona hadn't wanted him.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #7779 on: October 28, 2021, 02:30:24 pm »

"Stay here and they will end up building a statue in your honour. Go somewhere else and you will be just another player. Here you can be something more."
                                                                                                                                                                                                              -Jurgen Klopp
We know Jurgen is a man of his word.
At the time how do you think Jurgen would have built a team around Coutinho?
I'm also presuming that we wouldn't have received the 'Coutinho money' and hence Jurgen's imagined team would have looked quite different to our current one (or the one after Coutinho left).

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7780 on: October 28, 2021, 03:10:23 pm »
Thank God we never gave him an ibuprofen for his back pain.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #7781 on: October 28, 2021, 03:21:53 pm »
We know Jurgen is a man of his word.
At the time how do you think Jurgen would have built a team around Coutinho?
I'm also presuming that we wouldn't have received the 'Coutinho money' and hence Jurgen's imagined team would have looked quite different to our current one (or the one after Coutinho left).
If Coutinho stays, I don't think we get Alisson or Van Dijk. There's no contest between those two options. January 2018 is when we started transforming from an impressive but inconsistent top four team to a lethal winning machine.

That being said, he was a player I loved watching. An absolute genius on his day.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7782 on: October 28, 2021, 03:26:16 pm »
If Coutinho stays, I don't think we get Alisson or Van Dijk. There's no contest between those two options. January 2018 is when we started transforming from an impressive but inconsistent top four team to a lethal winning machine.

That being said, he was a player I loved watching. An absolute genius on his day.
Yeah, I agree with you.

I think Jurgen probably had in mind a continuation of the 'Fab Four' attacking set up we had.
A 'midfield pivot' of Hendo and a new MF signing..
God knows what our defence would have looked like though.
I would imagine Kelleher would've been fast-tracked to No.1 and a defence very similar to today's but without Virg.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #7783 on: October 28, 2021, 07:49:24 pm »
Wasn’t the deal for Virgil being sorted when Coutinho was still a Liverpool player? But then it had to go on hold due to the tapping-up.

I always saw it as Alisson and Fab where the two main players bought with the Coutinho fee. But Virgil would have been here regardless.

Either which way, it all worked out for the better of this team in the end, as Fab and Ali are just as important for me.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7784 on: October 29, 2021, 04:51:16 pm »

..what could have been  :'(

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7785 on: October 29, 2021, 04:52:19 pm »

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #7786 on: October 29, 2021, 09:51:31 pm »
As much as it is good to see Barca suffer, there is some serious revisionism going on in here sometimes. That front four all shooting up the pitch together was a sight to bestow.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7787 on: December 11, 2021, 03:07:56 am »
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline christinav

• Boys Pen
« Reply #7788 on: December 26, 2021, 08:26:38 am »
Barcelona’s agreement to sign Ferran Torres from Manchester City has raised questions over Philippe Coutinho’s future.

Offline Elliemental

• Kopite
  • You Love Us
« Reply #7789 on: December 26, 2021, 06:30:37 pm »
Barcelona’s agreement to sign Ferran Torres from Manchester City has raised questions over Philippe Coutinho’s future.

Many people have been predicting Countinho's Barca demise for two years now, yet he always manages to hang on in there. This will probably be the same.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #7790 on: December 27, 2021, 11:48:21 pm »
Just thinking, is he a case of worst career suicide ever

Or

The man who allowed us to win the title?

« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 12:09:16 am by rushyman its only a few sleeps to Xmas »
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #7791 on: December 28, 2021, 01:21:09 am »

Or

Why do you take these scenarios as mutually exclusive?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7792 on: December 28, 2021, 11:44:35 am »

Or

Coutinho strengthened our defence like no other single signing has done in our history.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7793 on: December 28, 2021, 11:47:18 am »
Coutinho strengthened our defence like no other single signing has done in our history.

I think we would have kept him if the fee wasn't so mental.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #7794 on: December 28, 2021, 01:01:00 pm »
Always see (possibly bollocks) links to Everton. Would be fucking hilarious if he went there. It's mad how bad he looks whenever you watch him now. It's like any semblance of what made him really good is gone. I think if he ended up at one of our league rivals it'd make the whole saga even funnier. Everton of course would be the best but even someone like Arsenal or Spurs would be a laugh.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7795 on: December 28, 2021, 01:08:06 pm »
Can't see him going to a club like Everton it's just too much a step down and it's as good as guaranteed he'd win nothing. Spurs or maybe even Arsenal you'd be looking at possible FA or Europa league winners and at least a chance of a trophy. Elite level clubs like ourselves or City aren't going to be interested.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #7796 on: December 28, 2021, 01:34:13 pm »
Why do you take these scenarios as mutually exclusive?

It is defo both

Think what I’m asking is how we now perceive him.
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7797 on: December 28, 2021, 03:45:39 pm »
It is defo both

Think what I’m asking is how we now perceive him.

It's one of those cliched Hollywood sports movies. Except that, instead of all the hard work building up to the moment when our hero wins glory, we have a montage of all his moments building up to the climactic moment when Klopp is informed of Barcelona's offer. Cue all the triumphant imagery and music when the sale goes through.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7798 on: December 29, 2021, 04:10:33 pm »
My resentment towards Coutinho has long gone. He was amazing for us, and his sale was so transformative to the club going to the next level. Hope the lad gets a few good final years out of his career purely for the sake of his mental health. This fall from grace for him must be depressing as fuck. He just needs to leave Barca. The fans despise him and he can never turn it round there. I reckon a move to somewhere like Lazio or Napoli could be great for him. A big club where he can be adored, score lots of worldies, and have a system built around his unique qualities. He really should stay away from the Prem - he's got nothing to prove in this league. Barca has been a complete turkey of a move for both him and the club, but there is still a fantastic player in there with a lot to offer. But defo not for a high pressure club that employs a style of play like Liverpool, Bayern or Man City. Actually, of all the leading clubs in England I reckon Man Utd would suit his style of play best, but he would need his head tested to make a move like that or return to the Prem.

But hypothetically, if he did move back to the Prem, then outside Liverpool or Man Utd, I reckon Newcastle or Villa would be the next best choices for him. And for what he's achieved in his career, he deserves better.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 04:20:12 pm by Keith Lard »
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #7799 on: December 29, 2021, 10:59:49 pm »
My resentment towards Coutinho has long gone. He was amazing for us, and his sale was so transformative to the club going to the next level. Hope the lad gets a few good final years out of his career purely for the sake of his mental health. This fall from grace for him must be depressing as fuck. He just needs to leave Barca. The fans despise him and he can never turn it round there. I reckon a move to somewhere like Lazio or Napoli could be great for him. A big club where he can be adored, score lots of worldies, and have a system built around his unique qualities. He really should stay away from the Prem - he's got nothing to prove in this league. Barca has been a complete turkey of a move for both him and the club, but there is still a fantastic player in there with a lot to offer. But defo not for a high pressure club that employs a style of play like Liverpool, Bayern or Man City. Actually, of all the leading clubs in England I reckon Man Utd would suit his style of play best, but he would need his head tested to make a move like that or return to the Prem.

But hypothetically, if he did move back to the Prem, then outside Liverpool or Man Utd, I reckon Newcastle or Villa would be the next best choices for him. And for what he's achieved in his career, he deserves better.

I personally think Arsenal would be a decent move for him right now.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate