Author Topic: THE BEATLES - 8 Days/Week & GET BACK (page 2 onwards)  (Read 27810 times)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
THE BEATLES - 8 Days/Week & GET BACK (page 2 onwards)
« on: September 16, 2016, 12:27:21 am »
8 Days a Week movie - Fuckinell  :o
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 02:24:10 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline cricketrocks

• Legacy Fan
Re: THE BEATLES - 8 Days a Week Premiere
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 06:43:17 am »
I went to see that yesterday. Fascinating watch.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 07:50:45 am »
I went to see that yesterday. Fascinating watch.

Where d'you see it cricket?

:)

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 08:16:09 am »

Cavern walks link, Nice work Timbo.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 09:39:49 am »
The Ron Howard film? Is there much difference between this and the Anthology TV show years back?

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 09:54:21 am »
The Ron Howard film? Is there much difference between this and the Anthology TV show years back?
Brand new footage from the crowd and only covers the touring years.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 10:34:53 am »

If you love The Beatles or even if you're a casual fan then you've just got to go to the cinema to see it on the big screen.

It is simply the finest few hours you'll ever spend but the 'must see' compulsion is all about when the thing finishes because it's followed by the entire Shea Stadium gig being shown following the end credits which is only for cinema viewing and won't be on the official DVD.

The gig is brief but is utterly stupendous. It kicks of with Twist and Shout and then it's I Feel Fine, Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Ticket To Ride, Act Naturally, Hard Days Night, Can't Buy Me Love, Help, Baby's in Black, I'm Down.

It was mesmerising. Every song was perfection. Not one tiny morsel of disappointment with any note, any vocal and harmony. It was unbelievable. And the most beautiful thing of all was the 'four musketeer togetherness' which had been a huge feature of the documentary itself and which finally revealed itself in all its harmonic glory in that Shea Stadium gig.

Don't delay. Just fucking go and see it this weekend before a current legal action forces them to remove it from the cinema showing.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 10:38:05 am »
Cavern walks link, Nice work Timbo.

Ha ha - nice one  -  they still there? Even without harry Kewell!!!

;D

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 10:40:33 am »
If you love The Beatles or even if you're a casual fan then you've just got to go to the cinema to see it on the big screen.

It is simply the finest few hours you'll ever spend but the 'must see' compulsion is all about when the thing finishes because it's followed by the entire Shea Stadium gig being shown following the end credits which is only for cinema viewing and won't be on the official DVD.

The gig is brief but is utterly stupendous. It kicks of with Twist and Shout and then it's I Feel Fine, Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Ticket To Ride, Act Naturally, Hard Days Night, Can't Buy Me Love, Help, Baby's in Black, I'm Down.

It was mesmerising. Every song was perfection. Not one tiny morsel of disappointment with any note, any vocal and harmony. It was unbelievable. And the most beautiful thing of all was the 'four musketeer togetherness' which had been a huge feature of the documentary itself and which finally revealed itself in all its harmonic glory in that Shea Stadium gig.

Don't delay. Just fucking go and see it this weekend before a current legal action forces them to remove it from the cinema showing.

Lol love it, I'll go see it

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 10:52:31 am »
I got the new live album they've released in conjunction with the film. Worth a listen but still too much crowd noise for me really - and their guitars are just out of tune on Ticket To Ride which is a shame as it's a personal favourite - that Ringo drumbeat is awesome.

Hopefully catch the film soon.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 11:11:56 am »
I got the new live album they've released in conjunction with the film. Worth a listen but still too much crowd noise for me really - and their guitars are just out of tune on Ticket To Ride which is a shame as it's a personal favourite - that Ringo drumbeat is awesome.

Hopefully catch the film soon.

Sam - the Shea stadium gig is a surprise bonus Ron Howard has thrown in for cinema goers only. Nobody knew about it until just prior to the documentary starting when they advised everyone that at the end there'd be this gig. It's superior to the Hollywood Bowl remaster which we got last week. Don't get me wrong I really loved that even with the crowd noise but this Shea Stadium gig is jaw dropping. To see them at what when all things are considered must have been their absolute live performing peak revelling in the occasion and in the magnificence of some of their early gems as this ridiculously tight band of brothers enjoying every second is so special to behold.

As I say I'd go sooner rather than later as the court action which has just been implemented could well mean Ron Howard has to delete this final 'live' gem.

Also - you get to see how Ringo somehow manages to deliver that amazing Ticket To Ride retarded drumming!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:13:39 am by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 11:29:47 am »

As I say I'd go sooner rather than later as the court action which has just been implemented could well mean Ron Howard has to delete this final 'live' gem.

What court action is that, Timbo?
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 12:37:02 pm »
What court action is that, Timbo?

The estate of the guy who organised the Shea Stadium gig has sued Ron Howard and the film makers and is seeking an injunction to stop the film of the concert - remastered by George martin's son just like the Hollywood Bowl live album only considerably improved on that one - from being screened. The advice seems to be it could be stopped any time soon. Hence the giddyup.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 12:56:03 pm »
Really looking forward to seeing this,

I know it's not the era covered in the film but I randomly listened to the White Album on the way to work today, even though they're widely known as the greatest band of all time they're still better than people give them credit for!

Dear Prudence, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Blackbird, Helter Skelter, Revolution..... just fantastic

Offline cricketrocks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 05:16:13 pm »

Only at the cinema.  :D

I didn't know about the Shea stadium bonus beforehand, so that was a pretty brilliant surprise.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 06:17:28 pm »
Sam - the Shea stadium gig is a surprise bonus Ron Howard has thrown in for cinema goers only. Nobody knew about it until just prior to the documentary starting when they advised everyone that at the end there'd be this gig. It's superior to the Hollywood Bowl remaster which we got last week.

Wow, really? That sounds fantastic. I'll have to go! Thanks for the heads up!
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 06:36:34 pm »
Only at the cinema.  :D

I didn't know about the Shea stadium bonus beforehand, so that was a pretty brilliant surprise.

Got to admit I didn't quite know what was going on. I thought all the interviews at the start were recorded but then when I asked one of the staff they confirmed it was a live feed going worldwide which really did make it seem special. Also when they made the announcement just prior to the start of the documentary that the Shea stadium concert would follow after the credits I was convinced they'd got it mixed up and it was the Hollywood Bowl concert remaster like the CD issue last week. When it sank in that it was Shea Stadium it blew me away.

I'll definitely be going again when it comes on whatever the outcome but pray to god they manage to fend off the court action so I can watch that concert again.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 06:37:56 pm »
Wow, really? That sounds fantastic. I'll have to go! Thanks for the heads up!

Hey Sam - forgot to say there's also a special RoseAnn bonus too!!!!

;D

I wish!!!

;)

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 07:09:19 pm »
Just booked to see this tomorrow afternoon — can't wait!

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2016, 12:32:22 am »
Just booked to see this tomorrow afternoon — can't wait!

We've booked again too . It's on all next week at Fact in town and at the Plaza in Crosby.

Offline cricketrocks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2016, 05:42:27 am »
Got to admit I didn't quite know what was going on. I thought all the interviews at the start were recorded but then when I asked one of the staff they confirmed it was a live feed going worldwide which really did make it seem special. Also when they made the announcement just prior to the start of the documentary that the Shea stadium concert would follow after the credits I was convinced they'd got it mixed up and it was the Hollywood Bowl concert remaster like the CD issue last week. When it sank in that it was Shea Stadium it blew me away.

I'll definitely be going again when it comes on whatever the outcome but pray to god they manage to fend off the court action so I can watch that concert again.

Absolutely. People shouldn't be deprived of it.

I didn't know that they refused to play in Jacksonville if it was segregated, either (and it was then written into their future contracts). That takes guts, especially considering their ages at the time.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 05:44:47 am by cricketrocks »

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2016, 09:28:29 am »
Starring John, Paul, George & Ringo and introducing only5times' demolished greenhouse; value - priceless :)

Can't wait to see this to be honest.

Offline SalisburyRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 07:40:42 pm »
I was a little worried it was going to be a bit celeb-heavy when the interviews with the likes of Eddie Izzard and Whoopi Goldberg cropped up, but they were used pretty sparingly — and I absolutely loved it. The Shea Stadium concert at the end was brilliant too. I'd seen bits and pieces from it before but never the whole thing in its entirety.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2016, 09:22:34 pm »
Booked to go and see it tomorrow afternoon, can't wait!
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline SalisburyRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2016, 01:46:43 pm »
I was a little worried it was going to be a bit celeb-heavy when the interviews with the likes of Eddie Izzard and Whoopi Goldberg cropped up, but they were used pretty sparingly — and I absolutely loved it. The Shea Stadium concert at the end was brilliant too. I'd seen bits and pieces from it before but never the whole thing in its entirety.

To add to this, the concert in Manchester from 1963 which opens the film looks fantastic.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2016, 02:30:07 pm »
To add to this, the concert in Manchester from 1963 which opens the film looks fantastic.

To be honest as soon as I saw it I was convinced it was The Liverpool Empire concert I'd attended in May '63. It brought back an instant wave of recognition followed by a few seconds deflation when I saw it was Manchester Odeon and not the Empire but then wow - what an incredible nostalgic reminder of just how amazing they were.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2016, 07:00:43 pm »
Just seen it and thoroughly enjoy it. The live gig at the end is just fantastic.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2016, 07:16:03 am »
Just seen it and thoroughly enjoy it. The live gig at the end is just fantastic.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2016, 05:49:05 pm »
Nice piece I'm linking from a guy who clearly 'gets' it. As it is, there has been virtually universal acclaim for this documentary. However, this guy seems to grasp more intuitively than any I've read the full significance of what compelled Ron Howard to make his film.

\n As Greil Marcus once said The Beatles were the chair that everyone else sat on and this fella clearly endorses that perception.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-beatles-eight-days-a-week---the-touring-years-2016

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2016, 09:34:36 pm »
I can't go till next week, hope they still have the concert in then.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2016, 11:51:18 pm »
I can't go till next week, hope they still have the concert in then.

Jill - not sure about elsewhere but I think FACT and Plaza only have till Thursday of this week. Hope I'm wrong but if you can re-jig your commitments then do so. If not then it's being released on this new Hulu tV network - but it's minus the Shea Stadium concert at the end.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2016, 07:11:25 pm »
Jill - not sure about elsewhere but I think FACT and Plaza only have till Thursday of this week. Hope I'm wrong but if you can re-jig your commitments then do so. If not then it's being released on this new Hulu tV network - but it's minus the Shea Stadium concert at the end.

Thanks for that Timbo I will see if I can get to FACT.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2016, 11:38:24 pm »
Thanks for that Timbo I will see if I can get to FACT.

Just found out Jill - it's on at the Light cinema in New Brighton next Monday and Tuesday and maybe other days next week.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2016, 10:40:33 am »
Saw this last night. Wonderful stuff.   I know a lot of the footage was on the Anthology, but that was 20 years ago and I haven't seen it since.

The Shea Stadium gig was terrific.  The melodies on Help! and Baby's in Black (a song I've never really cared for..until now) were extraordinary in the midst of a noise that would scare a jumbo jet. 

Fun film nerd fact:  I saw on the credits for the Shea Stadium gig that one of the camera operators was Gordon Willis, later to change the way films looked in the 1970's with his director of photography roles on the Godfather films, All the President's Men and Annie Hall & Manhattan.

Offline tbonejones

• Dr. Doolittle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We'll be coming down the road...
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2016, 10:55:41 am »
Have to wait until Saturday for this. Really hope the end gig doesn't get cut before then, you lot are hyping it up so much is making me panic!  ;D
Journo: ''So, let me get this right, train, coach, train, plane.''
Rafa: ''No, coach first because we will not be walking to the train station.''

Don't Buy The Sun - www.dontbuythesun.co.uk

It was poodle. She was rocking a fucking poodle to sleep.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2016, 11:33:25 am »
How long is the film with the concert??

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2016, 11:47:40 am »
How long is the film with the concert??

It's about 2:15 or so.  The concert is around 25-30 mins.  It flies by.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2016, 12:45:50 pm »
Saw this last night. Wonderful stuff.   I know a lot of the footage was on the Anthology, but that was 20 years ago and I haven't seen it since.

The Shea Stadium gig was terrific.  The melodies on Help! and Baby's in Black (a song I've never really cared for..until now) were extraordinary in the midst of a noise that would scare a jumbo jet. 

Fun film nerd fact:  I saw on the credits for the Shea Stadium gig that one of the camera operators was Gordon Willis, later to change the way films looked in the 1970's with his director of photography roles on the Godfather films, All the President's Men and Annie Hall & Manhattan.

Uncanny. I'm exactly the same regarding Baby's in Black. When Beatles For Sale came out I sort of quite liked it but over the years had confined it to the cutting floor. Watching it last week at the cinema brought it back to life. Not exactly sure how or why but suffice to say I've sung little else in my head ever since. Paul's counter harmonies in the middle eight bit [or whatever it is] are truly to die for.

As for your nerd fact - ha ha - superb spot - Five of the greatest films ever.

;D

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2016, 12:42:01 pm »

The Shea Stadium gig was terrific.  The melodies on Baby's in Black (a song I've never really cared for..until now) were extraordinary in the midst of a noise that would scare a jumbo jet. 

We went to see it again last night. It was on the pretext of taking my 40 year old daughter but really if it was up to me i'd be there every night.

Anyroad, on the way home chatting about it - she loved the whole thing by the way - she commented that she wasn't familiar with the Baby's in Black track we've been talking about, how great she thought it was and couldn't fathom how I had never played it over the years when she'd been indoctrinated with every other Beatles song imaginable. I guess it offers proof as to how I'd dismissed it so long ago. Yet now I'd say that 2 minute clip of the film ranks as possibly my favourite ever piece of music footage!!

Crazy.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2016, 01:53:07 pm »
Another thing my daughter picked up on, which had escaped me despite now seeing the thing twice, was how well the documentary conveyed the ridiculous intensity of the group's output and how the territory they were venturing into was uncharted. Also just how rapidly they progressed during that brief initial period.

I think in those initial mad touring years it was 6 amazing mainly self-penned quality albums in 2.5 years plus twelve equally outstanding singles in the same period. Each record was a musical progression on the previous and each tended to extend popular music boundaries. All bar the initial Love me Do single charted at number one.

By the yardsticks of all the artists who came came later right up until the present day, the achievements of the Beatles were so fucking preposterous they could never have really happened. Yet they did. Somehow.

;D