Author Topic: Watford  (Read 55085 times)

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
Re: Quique Sanches Flores to leave Watford
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2016, 11:22:29 am »
Agree with the op and most others, absolutely stupid decision.

Imo another example of clubs trying to reach far beyond their capabilities and never satisfied with what they have. Flores was clearly capable of pushing them on but now they will more than likely go backwards.

What a pity.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2016, 11:24:09 am »
Watford had hit 40 points with 5 games to spare and got to an FA Cup semi final. They tailed off a bit in the second half of the season but nothing disastrous. Ridiculous decision to get rid of Flores.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2016, 11:25:33 am »
Didn't they get promoted and sack their manager to bring in Flores? They seem to reward successful managers with a nice compensation package. Good of them...

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Pozzo and the Watford board have sacked managers for forgetting to use their favourite mug when making a brew, so not winning the Champions League, Burleigh horse trials and the Nobel Prize for physics in their first season in the Prem is actually fairly rational by their standards.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2016, 11:25:55 am »
Ignoring the obvious Italian connection, why him, do we think? He's been out of the game what, 2 years and made a fairly ordinary Inter side even more ordinary, from recollection.

Decent track record, has been living in England for the last year and now speaks the language.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2016, 11:42:34 am »
Come to think of it, looking at their results again, they're probably looking for a manager who can conjure up more goals for them.

Too many draws.

Apparently they have only score six goals from open play since the beginning of 2016 and have played some awful footbal since then, as well. I don't watch Watford enough to comment on the decision, although it seems most Watford fans are pretty content with him leaving.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2016, 11:44:52 am »
Didn't they get promoted and sack their manager to bring in Flores? They seem to reward successful managers with a nice compensation package. Good of them...

Yeah they had about 25 managers last season.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2016, 11:52:11 am »
Apparently they have only score six goals from open play since the beginning of 2016 and have played some awful footbal since then, as well. I don't watch Watford enough to comment on the decision, although it seems most Watford fans are pretty content with him leaving.

It's at this stage you wonder whether the FA Cup run might have had an adverse effect on the end of their season. Their slump correlates fairly closely with their success in the cup.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2016, 11:53:14 am »
Leicester started playing well last season with Pearson though.  That's how they managed to escape relegation.

Did they? Thanks for giving an answer to a question that wasn't asked :)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2016, 11:56:25 am »
Hard to judge the decision until they have a replacement and some more info comes out, could be that there was a rift with the owners or they have ambitions beyond simply survival that Flores didn't look likely to reach, or that a manager became available who seemed like an upgrade. Seems harsh to dump him after a decent season but aside from Ighalo and Deeney they've been poor (only 6 goals between the rest of the team) and could easily be relegated next year if Ighalo doesn't have another good run of form.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2016, 12:05:26 pm »
You could understand Adkins and nutter Pearson. This is isn't a reflection on the side or manager it's just crazy owners and the fans can't be happy.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2016, 01:13:44 pm »
A victim of his own success.

If he had started the season slowly but got results in the second part of the season, he would have been lauded as a hero for keeping them up, probably given a new contract and a pay rise. As it happened, he started the season well and finished slowly, so he gets criticised and eventually sacked, despite keeping them up comfortably.

Both of those scenarios end up with Watford finishing in the same place on the same amount of points.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2016, 01:25:09 pm »
Ridiculous decision.

Maybe he should go to the bitters?

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2016, 01:31:57 pm »
A victim of his own success.

If he had started the season slowly but got results in the second part of the season, he would have been lauded as a hero for keeping them up, probably given a new contract and a pay rise. As it happened, he started the season well and finished slowly, so he gets criticised and eventually sacked, despite keeping them up comfortably.

Both of those scenarios end up with Watford finishing in the same place on the same amount of points.
If you flipped them round he'd have been sacked before Christmas. Since they beat us they've picked up only 16 points from 20 games, 3rd worst in the division.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2016, 02:27:02 pm »
I didn't realize he was 51. I thought he is early 40s.

Anyway, Watford's decision is understandable if you consider that they are essentially an Italian club. Italian owners keep chopping and changing managers. The big question is, who will do better than Flores with Watford? It may backfire and they may get relegated...

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2016, 02:33:19 pm »
Mazzarazi bookies favourite
bollocks

Offline mike777

• Anny Roader
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2016, 02:34:55 pm »
Be very surprised if it is Rodgers, he managed them before he went Swansea and it didn't really work out/don't think he left on the best of terms.
Expect the owners have an Italian lined up it is as others have said Watford's business model.  Flores shouldn't be out of work long you'd hope, did very well.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2016, 02:44:57 pm »
Palermo had something like 8 managers this season.  Inter had something like 6 in 3 years after Mourinho starting with Rafa.

These owners also own Udinese, so maybe this is the way they're used to things being done?  Even if the manager has done well?  It's more of a coaching model, right?  And you'll continue to bring in coaches at a rate faster than Real and Chelsea combined?

Just trying to find some justification.
King Kenny.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2016, 02:45:34 pm »
My Watford supporting mate with a season ticket agrees with the decision. There have been 2 home goals this calendar year - and one of those was an own goal.

Unusually for a Pozzo club, he has been allowed to pick some of his own players to but - and every one has been a dud. They shipped out some players that got them up to the Premier League on Flores' say so and the replacements are not upgrades. They had a brilliant start that has protected them this season, but it fundamentally broken.  They have 7 points from the last 10 games - and 3 of those are due to 2 injury time goals against Villa. If they persevered, they are going done. They are looking like getting Alec Baldwin to replace him.

The Watford manager position is very much a coach not a manager position. They are configured to change coach without major upheaval - very much on continental lines.

Oh, and he was not sacked. He chose to leave. He had an option to break his contract at the end of the season that he chose to take up. Probably the best for both sides.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2016, 02:56:04 pm »
It's easy to call it a ridiculous decision but we don't know what's happened behind the scenes or who the club think they might get in.

A few people thought it was ridiculous to sack Nigel Pearson as Leicester manager after he saved them from relegation...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2016, 03:01:52 pm »
It's easy to call it a ridiculous decision but we don't know what's happened behind the scenes or who the club think they might get in.

A few people thought it was ridiculous to sack Nigel Pearson as Leicester manager after he saved them from relegation...
are you saying we should put money on watford for the premiership.
im on 1000/1 
stranger things have happened
bollocks

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2016, 03:02:25 pm »
Did they? Thanks for giving an answer to a question that wasn't asked :)

No problem.  ;D
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2016, 03:29:58 pm »
Mazzari is not an upgrade on Quique Flores. Boring manager and his Inter side was dire as fuck.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2016, 03:41:21 pm »
My Watford supporting mate with a season ticket agrees with the decision. There have been 2 home goals this calendar year - and one of those was an own goal.

Unusually for a Pozzo club, he has been allowed to pick some of his own players to but - and every one has been a dud. They shipped out some players that got them up to the Premier League on Flores' say so and the replacements are not upgrades. They had a brilliant start that has protected them this season, but it fundamentally broken.  They have 7 points from the last 10 games - and 3 of those are due to 2 injury time goals against Villa. If they persevered, they are going done. They are looking like getting Alec Baldwin to replace him.

The Watford manager position is very much a coach not a manager position. They are configured to change coach without major upheaval - very much on continental lines.

Oh, and he was not sacked. He chose to leave. He had an option to break his contract at the end of the season that he chose to take up. Probably the best for both sides.

Ta.

Interesting. Just goes to show eh!

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2016, 03:45:57 pm »

There was outrage in here when Nigel Adkins was sacked from Southampton. It was like the death of football had been announced that day.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2016, 03:56:37 pm »
If I was Pozzo, I'd break the bank to bring Donadoni from Bologna or Eusebio Di Francesco from Sassuolo.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2016, 05:08:43 pm »
He made the mistake of having a really good first half of the season and poorer second half.  Had he done it the other way round he'd be revered as a legend for giving Watford their best finish in a generation.

Are their fans pissed off?

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2016, 05:16:17 pm »
I remember listening to talkshite a few weeks back and a couple phoned into Durham's show to complain that their second half of the season has been shambolic, shows that he has taken them as far as he can, maybe best if he goes e.t.c

Pathetic.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2016, 05:24:09 pm »
He made the mistake of having a really good first half of the season and poorer second half.  Had he done it the other way round he'd be revered as a legend for giving Watford their best finish in a generation.

Just actually had a very good call from a Watford fan on TS in complete agreement with the decision. No ranting, no usual repeating the same point ten times, very rational and critical of Flores.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2016, 05:26:17 pm »

True. I was expecting them to have a difficult season with so many new faces, majority of them players who have been written off by other clubs.

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2016, 05:27:28 pm »
Mazzari is not an upgrade on Quique Flores. Boring manager and his Inter side was dire as fuck.

His Napoli side were pretty successful and played some great high pressure/intensity football. This is Watford we are talking about here they'd be punching well above their weight if they were to get a manager of his calibre.
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2016, 05:28:42 pm »
Even if this is the way the club is run its rediculous and it's something that will bite them in the arse eventually.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2016, 06:09:20 pm »
Even if this is the way the club is run its rediculous and it's something that will bite them in the arse eventually.

Compared to the fraudsters and Tories lords that previously ran the club, it is being brilliantly run. The coach in their system is a replaceable part rather than being the fulcrum for the entire club.

Look up Jurado's stats. An attacking midfielder. No assists, no goals, 30 appearances.

Their game at Anfield was one of their best performances this calendar year.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2016, 06:42:36 pm »
Compared to the fraudsters and Tories lords that previously ran the club, it is being brilliantly run. The coach in their system is a replaceable part rather than being the fulcrum for the entire club.

Look up Jurado's stats. An attacking midfielder. No assists, no goals, 30 appearances.

Something that can be said for many a side when they play us

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2016, 06:53:07 pm »

Yeah, I was writing about Jurado being a dubious signing in the transfer window forum. But let's be honest, how much of it is Flores' mistake? Flores was a coach there, not a manager, and the club is ran like an Italian club. Which is fair enough, but that means that, most likely, the coach has a little say in the transfers and players. He works with what he has. Did he personally ask for Jurado? Who knows, I doubt it.

If you follow the likes of Udiniese and Granada, other clubs that belong to Pozzo family, their players keep interchanging year after year. Bunch of unknown players are brought in the hope of one or two of them making an impact so that they can be sold at a profit later on. Udinese at some point were one of the better teams in Italy playing in UEFA competitions, but Pozzo family sold their stars and they are now mediocre. None of the 3 coaches who work for Pozzo's (Udinese, Granada and Watford coaches) have much say in transfers. Therefore, it is unfair to blame Flores for the 10s of signings Watford did over the past one year.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2016, 06:54:27 pm »
Two Watford gaps
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2016, 07:09:51 pm »
bad decision imo... maybe they have a big name manager coming? otherwise what is the point of sacking him?

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2016, 08:02:44 pm »
It does seem like an odd decision for them to have made, fair enough his second half of the season has been rubbish, but the counterpoint to that is they did well enough in the first half of the season for them to be midtable despite that poor run and for him to merit the chance to turn things around again.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2016, 09:20:30 pm »
The word from my tame Watford mate is that the Pozzos allowed him some of his own signings against their usual M O. It could be fan wishful thinking, but it is the most connected source that I have.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2016, 11:50:28 pm »
On paper, it's a ridiculous decision. Getting to a cup semi-final and easily surviving should have been considered a great season for Watford, despite a poor latter half once Igahlo and Deeney stopped scoring. Southampton and Leicester certainly improved by sacking their managers, but it's not always the case that changes like this can vastly improve the fortunes of clubs at the lower-end of the table.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2016, 12:02:10 am »
I hope they go down next season.