Author Topic: Newcastle - RIP Jamal Khashoggi; Free Salma al-Shehab  (Read 1923446 times)

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: NUFC - Continue Operation Destroy & Exit!
« Reply #17600 on: October 15, 2021, 01:25:04 pm »
FSG will sell up in my opinion. They bought the club with FFP being a thing and now that's gone. Who's to say Everton aren't next in line for a takeover by another country or West Ham etc.. Top 4 will become increasingly impossible to attain without being backed by a state and we are already seeing the results of that for Arsenal and Spurs. When media darlings Man United start to miss out on top 4 maybe then the premier league will wake up but by then it will be too late.

I'm thinking increasingly along the same lines. FSG selling up to who is the big concern.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #17601 on: October 15, 2021, 02:03:22 pm »
I'm thinking increasingly along the same lines. FSG selling up to who is the big concern.

The North Koreans I hope.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17602 on: October 15, 2021, 02:16:41 pm »
FSG will sell up in my opinion. They bought the club with FFP being a thing and now that's gone. Who's to say Everton aren't next in line for a takeover by another country or West Ham etc.. Top 4 will become increasingly impossible to attain without being backed by a state and we are already seeing the results of that for Arsenal and Spurs. When media darlings Man United start to miss out on top 4 maybe then the premier league will wake up but by then it will be too late.

There is zero indication that FSG will sell anytime soon.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that there was an article out in the past couple of months basically stating that they were in it for the long haul and were starting to talk about succession planning for Henry and Werner. 

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #17603 on: October 15, 2021, 02:26:42 pm »
Jurgen once again being the benchmark manager of the PL.

Always Jurgen who has to stand up first for what is not right in the game.

Guardiola probably won't be asked about it. ::)

He'll get criticised for about a year, then others will come out and say what he originally said and get lauded for it. That's uusally how it works.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17604 on: October 15, 2021, 02:27:17 pm »
He'll get criticised for about a year, then others will come out and say what he originally said and get lauded for it. That's uusally how it works.

Doesn't count if the manager of the deluded scousers says it. Gary Neville however...

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17605 on: October 15, 2021, 02:32:57 pm »
Jurgen once again being the benchmark manager of the PL.

Always Jurgen who has to stand up first for what is not right in the game.

Guardiola probably won't be asked about it. ::)

Even if he is asked he won't say anything to piss off his future employers.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17606 on: October 15, 2021, 02:35:11 pm »
Gerrard  keeping tabs on it...

www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steven-gerrard-addresses-rangers-newcastle-25220797.amp

"Sitting in this position, I certainly wouldn't like anybody to be speculating about my job, so I certainly won't be getting involved in any of the speculation towards his.

"I think it's interesting what is happening at Newcastle, I think if anyone deserves a break it's the Geordie fans, so I'm sure excitement levels are very high on the Toon.

"I'm sure everyone involved with the game is looking on with interest to see how it develops, but from a personal point of view I don't really get involved in speculation and I wish Steve all the best."

Bit early for him maybe,  certainly looks a better bet than Lampard but that's not hard,  and irrelevant.

Imagine swapping Jurgen for this kind of garbage.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #17607 on: October 15, 2021, 02:37:09 pm »
Even if he is asked he won't say anything to piss off his future employers.

Guardiola has so little self awareness, I wouldn’t even be surprised if he called them out on it, with no sense of irony.

He’s such a hypocrite.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #17608 on: October 15, 2021, 02:37:12 pm »
The North Koreans I hope.

Hope so, reported 10 nil wins every week whilst he's knocking in 18 hole in ones doing a round with Dennis Rodman

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17609 on: October 15, 2021, 02:42:28 pm »

Imagine swapping Jurgen for this kind of garbage.

Absolute chalk and cheese isn't it. Feel like we've got one of the only decent men left in football.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17610 on: October 15, 2021, 02:49:38 pm »
Jurgen on it.

Compare to some other managers comments today:

Guardiola:
Looks like the Newcastle fans I saw were happy. It's business, people took over a club and the people of Newcastle are happy.

I'm far away from why the decision was made.

Solskjaer:
It has not been my focus but I noticed it has happened. It is going to change the picture. I didn’t think it would go through but it has. It's a fantastic club with traditions.

Long-term it will be interesting to watch. It has been the talk of football. It is results they want but it is not my focus. I don’t want to join the political discussion.

Brendan Rodgers:
"It's important that when you've got money you've also got direction. For a club like ourselves it's always hard to compete with the bigger clubs who have bigger resources. For the people of Newcastle, it's a great lift and I'm sure the new owners have got some big ideas for the club."

Thomas Tuchel (asked if he has concerns about Newcastle's takeover):
In general yes, in general yes, and I think it's normal to have concerns.   But we trust in the PL that they have accepted, and they are the authorities in this case.

And this is a fact now that they allowed it, they have new owners, the new owners seem to be very promising for the fans and for a famous club here in England. And it seems that we have a new competitor for titles and for places in the top ranking, and this is what we are here for.

We are playing in the toughest league, and it seems to get tougher.

Patrick Viera:
It’s good news for Newcastle as a football club and good news for their fans. It’s good for the city of Newcastle. We have to be happy for them, I would say.

And then, that is the way it goes and this is the way it has been in the last couple of years. We just have to manage and to deal with it.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17611 on: October 15, 2021, 02:56:50 pm »
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17612 on: October 15, 2021, 03:07:25 pm »

Why do they need to sell? FSG is a sports group that is building a portfolio of international sporting clubs. They’ve stated they intend to add to their portfolio. The shareholders (Henry etc) can make cash by diluting their holdings as the value of the whole group increases. They really don’t need to sell a club to make money.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17613 on: October 15, 2021, 03:15:32 pm »

snip

Leicester were sponsored by a business that their owners also own until recently, their stadium is still sponsored by King Power, they’ve just has a £100m training complex built, and they’re having their stadium redeveloped. They’re not owned by a state but their owners have played around FFP to kickstart the club.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17614 on: October 15, 2021, 03:33:54 pm »
“Every country decides the way they want to live for themselves. If he decides to live in that [country], it is what it is. I am in a country with democracy installed since years ago, and try to protect that situation.”

It is what it is. What a feable, weak answer from that bald prat. It is what it is ?  Yeah very good, so all them people suffering, its their own fault for living there. That's a case of it doesn't happen in my front garden so I don't care. Is there no morals left in any of the managers these days ?
Actually that question is answered by the commnets from the manager Dim Glas posted above, they don't care. As for Oleh, he simply noticed it eh. We not only have the best football manager in the game we also have the best human in the game. It's just a sad predicament that its such a rare thing in todays rat race eh. Legend Jurgen

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17615 on: October 15, 2021, 03:35:35 pm »
Anything from Rafa yet?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #17616 on: October 15, 2021, 03:38:47 pm »
Anything from Newcastle yet?

‘As always I am focussed on killing and beheading homosexuals’
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17617 on: October 15, 2021, 03:39:08 pm »
Anything from Rafa yet?

He was another who avoided the giant elephant in the room.  Basically it looks like no one gave it a mention apart from Kloppo.

Speaking in his pre-match press conference ahead of Sunday’s game against West Ham United at Goodison Park, he was asked what he thought the impact of the Newcastle United takeover would have on the Premier League and said: “That’s a tricky question, I was not expecting that.

“The point is that I have a very, very good relationship with Newcastle United fans, with the city, everyone.

“I think it’s not fair to talk too much about that.

“I am the Everton manager now, I am focused on that and I wish them all the best.

“There are so many things that we can talk about, I prefer just to stay away from that and just wish them all the best. Sorry about that.”

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17618 on: October 15, 2021, 03:48:37 pm »
He was another who avoided the giant elephant in the room.  Basically it looks like no one gave it a mention apart from Kloppo.

Speaking in his pre-match press conference ahead of Sunday’s game against West Ham United at Goodison Park, he was asked what he thought the impact of the Newcastle United takeover would have on the Premier League and said: “That’s a tricky question, I was not expecting that.

“The point is that I have a very, very good relationship with Newcastle United fans, with the city, everyone.

“I think it’s not fair to talk too much about that.

“I am the Everton manager now, I am focused on that and I wish them all the best.

“There are so many things that we can talk about, I prefer just to stay away from that and just wish them all the best. Sorry about that.”

Thanks, bit disappointed in that but I guess he feels he's in an awkward position having managed them, could come across like sour grapes if he is too critical maybe. Hopefully it's not because he wants to go back there now!

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17619 on: October 15, 2021, 03:51:34 pm »

www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steven-gerrard-addresses-rangers-newcastle-25220797.amp

"I think it's interesting what is happening at Newcastle, I think if anyone deserves a break it's the Geordie fans, so I'm sure excitement levels are very high on the Toon.

"I'm sure everyone involved with the game is looking on with interest to see how it develops"

Garbage that from Stevie, as others have said like night and day compared to Klopp. Just typical PR, robotic, safe, spineless, formulated shite.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17620 on: October 15, 2021, 03:58:44 pm »
Let's see if Rafa gets even a 10th of the shit Gerrard will. I'm guessing not  ;D

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17621 on: October 15, 2021, 04:01:50 pm »

"Sitting in this position, I certainly wouldn't like anybody to be speculating about my job, so I certainly won't be getting involved in any of the speculation towards his.

"I'm sure everyone involved with the game is looking on with interest to see how it develops, but from a personal point of view I don't really get involved in speculation and I wish Steve all the best."

Bit early for him maybe,  certainly looks a better bet than Lampard but that's not hard,  and irrelevant.
He’s not ruling it out then! Disappointing that from Stevie.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17622 on: October 15, 2021, 04:01:58 pm »
Came in here to read about football losing its soul only to find the Susie Dent appreciation thread.  ::)

And what's wrong with appreciating Susie Dent? I'd appreciate the hell out of her!  :lickin
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17623 on: October 15, 2021, 04:03:02 pm »
I read that same article. Why is NO ONE besides Jürgen taking a stand? Pep blabbering about “business” and Ole diplomatic and boring as usual.

Every single journalist and football manager in England should be up in arms about this.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17624 on: October 15, 2021, 04:15:46 pm »
The Leeds owner has called on the PL to ensure Newcastle follow FFP rules.
He also said this:

“Also it is important that the revenues are real because when you have a government or a state controlling a football club, then you can create sponsorship through a controlled company. Then we are not playing the same game."

I wonder what he was referring to there…

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17625 on: October 15, 2021, 04:16:07 pm »
I read that same article. Why is NO ONE besides Jürgen taking a stand? Pep blabbering about “business” and Ole diplomatic and boring as usual.

Every single journalist and football manager in England should be up in arms about this.

Most managers would love to be there one day with a bottomless pit of cash to spend and an easy route to potential success.

It's everything a principled man like Jurgen Klopp stands against, and he's one of the very few who would never want to gain success that way, so managing them will never be an option.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17626 on: October 15, 2021, 04:16:50 pm »
In the interest of precision / fairness,  I have little doubt Rafa would have worked for Staveley and PIF as he was already connected to Staveley from his time at Liverpool,  was Newcastle manager when Staveley attempted the first takeover,  and people like McParland (leading new manager search)  are long time Benitez associates.

Think Gerrard would as well.  It's always going to be different,  the factors under consideration,  for people directly involved,  on the ground,  skin in the game compared to parties at a distance free to talk.  While the (rightly)  strong sentiments among the latter are warranted,  it still means nothing unless you have solutions.

It's easy to highlight Klopp,  but he's ensconced in a top job,  credit earned,  secure.  The test is if say Klopp,  directly after his disappointing Dortmund end,  is approached.  You need to see people under pressure,  needing a way through,  to get the best possible info.  What you get on them from their position of strength is worthless.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 04:20:33 pm by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #17627 on: October 15, 2021, 04:30:11 pm »
In the interest of precision / fairness,  I have little doubt Rafa would have worked for Staveley and PIF as he was already connected to Staveley from his time at Liverpool,  was Newcastle manager when Staveley attempted the first takeover,  and people like McParland (leading new manager search)  are long time Benitez associates.

Think Gerrard would as well.  It's always going to be different,  the factors under consideration,  for people directly involved,  on the ground,  skin in the game compared to parties at a distance free to talk.  While the (rightly)  strong sentiments among the latter are warranted,  it still means nothing unless you have solutions.

It's easy to highlight Klopp,  but he's ensconced in a top job,  credit earned,  secure.  The test is if say Klopp,  directly after his disappointing Dortmund end,  is approached.  You need to see people under pressure,  needing a way through,  to get the best possible info.  What you get on them from their position of strength is worthless.

Think Klopp answered that question when he swerved Man Utd when Ed Woodward described the club as "the adult version of Disneyland".
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17628 on: October 15, 2021, 04:40:51 pm »

Guardiola:
Looks like the Newcastle fans I saw were happy. It's business, people took over a club and the people of Newcastle are happy.

I'm far away from why the decision was made.

Solskjaer:
It has not been my focus but I noticed it has happened. It is going to change the picture. I didn’t think it would go through but it has. It's a fantastic club with traditions.

Long-term it will be interesting to watch. It has been the talk of football. It is results they want but it is not my focus. I don’t want to join the political discussion.

Brendan Rodgers:
"It's important that when you've got money you've also got direction. For a club like ourselves it's always hard to compete with the bigger clubs who have bigger resources. For the people of Newcastle, it's a great lift and I'm sure the new owners have got some big ideas for the club."

Thomas Tuchel (asked if he has concerns about Newcastle's takeover):
In general yes, in general yes, and I think it's normal to have concerns.   But we trust in the PL that they have accepted, and they are the authorities in this case.

And this is a fact now that they allowed it, they have new owners, the new owners seem to be very promising for the fans and for a famous club here in England. And it seems that we have a new competitor for titles and for places in the top ranking, and this is what we are here for.

We are playing in the toughest league, and it seems to get tougher.

Patrick Viera:
It’s good news for Newcastle as a football club and good news for their fans. It’s good for the city of Newcastle. We have to be happy for them, I would say.

And then, that is the way it goes and this is the way it has been in the last couple of years. We just have to manage and to deal with it.

Making sure they aren't ruled out of the job..

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17629 on: October 15, 2021, 05:40:59 pm »
In my opinion, any manager who hasn’t spoken against countries owning clubs is one day hoping to be at one of them clubs themselves.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #17630 on: October 15, 2021, 06:08:00 pm »
The full Stevie quote was more about Bruce coming up to his 1000th game and being interested in that

But I do wish he came out as strong as Klopp did.

Don't want him there!!

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17631 on: October 15, 2021, 06:19:58 pm »
Bunch of spineless and/or thoughtless bastards, all of them. Position of strength or not, for only Klopp to be able to articulate concern and measured disapproval of the takeover is pathetic. People can't say "I don't like countries that have appalling human rights records?" That's too much to say now? Or even more subtle recognition of the "issues" (a wonderful euphemism)? If Gerrard, Rafa or anyone else goes there, they've decided that money and prestige is worth more than principle, simple as that.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #17632 on: October 15, 2021, 06:30:37 pm »

So, it's only Jurgen who is willing to even acknowledge the herd of elephants in the room then.  :butt

What a bunch of spineless cowards.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #17633 on: October 15, 2021, 06:34:05 pm »
Was always going to be an interesting day with the press conferences for each club.

Bruce coming out with all guns blazing. Fair enough to him. Nothing to lose. Call him out for leaving other jobs, but can't blame him for holding out for a payout. Would like to see him make a donation to Amnesty International if/when he gets the sack (even if it is just a small percentage of his £8m).

Rest of the PL manager's: pretty much a shitshow. Just taking into account those currently managing in the UK at the moment, here's my take:

Gerrard: can fuck off in my opinion. It's a minor version of him wanting the transfer to Chelsea. Great player, questionable values.

Benitez: absolutely loved him as our manager. Pretty much dodged the question. Given a generous benefit of the doubt card.

Rodgers:  probably the best fit at either Newcastle or Leicester at this moment in time. Stay at Leicester, please.

Pep: shiny headed guy who wants everything on a platter. No moral values. Hides behind Catalan virtues but really couldn't give a fuck.

Klopp/Biesla: socialist's who care about the bigger picture.

Edit: forgot Solskjaer: white noise.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 06:37:22 pm by cormorant »
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17634 on: October 15, 2021, 06:35:14 pm »
So, it's only Jurgen who is willing to even acknowledge the herd of elephants in the room then.  :butt

They’ve all got their noses in the trough and don’t want to jeapordise their chances of one day working for a murderous oil state.
I didn’t think I could think any more highly of Klopp, but today I do. Absolute legend.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17635 on: October 15, 2021, 06:46:34 pm »

Not a PL boss, but it makes my heart glad that the 2nd greatest German coach around and another thoroughly wonderful human - Freiburg trainer Christian Streich, also spoke out today:

"There are always things happening in football that have exceeded all limits. In this case it is  unbelievable who is part of this consortium," Streich said ahead of his high-flying side's home match with RB Leipzig this weekend.
The Premier League last week approved the PIF's takeover bid after receiving "legally binding assurances" that the Saudi state would not control the club despite Saudi Arabia Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman being listed as PIF chair and a number of other influential ruling figures being involved.

Referring to the PIF, Streich said it is known that it includes people who are "involved in serious human rights violations."
"I have to say that if people have a problem with that, then I can count myself among those people," he added.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17636 on: October 15, 2021, 06:52:08 pm »

I know it's only the Daily Star, but Jeremy Cross called them out today in his column. A snippet here:

''The governors of our national game have allowed a dark and dangerous fog to roll in on the Tyne in the shape of the Saudi Public Investment Fund. Mohammed Bin Salman leads a group of rulers who bring shame on the human race. The crimesheet belonging to the Saudis on human rights abuse and murder is well documented. It's long, abhorrent and impossible to comprehend.

What's almost equally hard to grasp is why someone like Lampard, Brendan Rodgers, Steven Gerrard, or anyone else for that matter, would even consider jumping into bed with a club owner who rules an Arabian kingdom of homophobic fascists and murderers. The same applies to those superstars the Saudis will throw their billions of blood money at in the coming seasons.

The Saudi takeover of Newcastle is the most despicable act of sports washing to date, but if these last 18 months have rammed home one truth, it's that morality and football go together like oil and water.''

I'm sure Jeremy's invite to his local Saudi embassy is in the post as we speak.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17637 on: October 15, 2021, 07:01:50 pm »
As much as I love him and usually agree with him on issues, I was a bit surprised by John Barnes' take on the Newcastle takeover in the Daily Manc the other day.

He says he takes his lead from the government, who he says are the moral guardians of Britain, and who also trade with the Saudis.  :o

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/john-barnes-says-newcastle-fc-25199698

Online wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17638 on: October 15, 2021, 07:02:48 pm »
I know it's only the Daily Star, but Jeremy Cross called them out today in his column. A snippet here:

''The governors of our national game have allowed a dark and dangerous fog to roll in on the Tyne in the shape of the Saudi Public Investment Fund. Mohammed Bin Salman leads a group of rulers who bring shame on the human race. The crimesheet belonging to the Saudis on human rights abuse and murder is well documented. It's long, abhorrent and impossible to comprehend.

What's almost equally hard to grasp is why someone like Lampard, Brendan Rodgers, Steven Gerrard, or anyone else for that matter, would even consider jumping into bed with a club owner who rules an Arabian kingdom of homophobic fascists and murderers. The same applies to those superstars the Saudis will throw their billions of blood money at in the coming seasons.

The Saudi takeover of Newcastle is the most despicable act of sports washing to date, but if these last 18 months have rammed home one truth, it's that morality and football go together like oil and water.''

I'm sure Jeremy's invite to his local Saudi embassy is in the post as we speak.

Fair play to that man.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #17639 on: October 15, 2021, 07:14:49 pm »
If you genuinely have nothing to say the only way is: 'I'm here to talk about my team and our game this weekend. Maybe even about the weather if you ask me. I'm working for this club 24/7 and I'm fully focused on trying to make our fans happy. Next question'?
Linudden.