Author Topic: Sky Sports  (Read 314866 times)

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
Re: Sky Sports News (genuine thoughts on it as a channel!)
« Reply #40 on: July 6, 2011, 04:28:29 pm »

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #41 on: July 6, 2011, 04:29:14 pm »
All it's good for is havin' a gander at the beauts presentin' although I don't watch it anymore for fear of hearin'

"Sky Sports News understands"  :no

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: July 6, 2011, 04:35:50 pm »

"Sky Sports News understands"  :no
Haha, I love that line. Also when they say ''Sky Sports News can confirm''..

Wait a second, stop saying you confirm and actually give credit to the media outlet that did the dirty work in the first place. Its such a cheap way and making people think that you did anything substantial.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #43 on: July 6, 2011, 04:36:26 pm »
It annoys me but still doesn't prevent me from having it on in the background the majority of the time

During the football season I quite like it as they show the press conferences, get team news and show brief highlights.

Transfer seasons are ridiculous though

Offline DM Red

• no it wasnt a knee jerk - just a jerk....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: July 6, 2011, 04:49:05 pm »
i hate it and Natalie Sawyer annoys me.

Offline Bud P Austin

• The Hindu Hansen
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #45 on: July 6, 2011, 04:49:47 pm »
The presenters now call it "Sky Sports News HD" even though you might be watching the non-HD channel... which is annoying and inaccurate, at least in my living room.

I don't think anybody requires a 24 hour sports news channel, mainly because most of the news is old. It is not constantly new. If they called it "Sky Sports Mainly Old but some News" I might reconsider my position. Until then, I am implacable and entrenched, like Wilfrid Owen with pristine teeth.

This newfangled multi-million pound studio guff was advertised, by themselves, in a smug and self-aggrandising manner. From what I can ascertain, they now have a larger plastic desk and can zoom-out to show more people more widely spaced. You, sirs, have been mugged. 

« Last Edit: July 7, 2011, 11:50:14 am by Bud P Austin »

Offline Bud P Austin

• The Hindu Hansen
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #46 on: July 6, 2011, 04:52:32 pm »
i hate it and Natalie Sawyer annoys me.

Her relationship with Sam Matterface is yet more annoying. And baffling. Was her life really lacking nose?

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: July 6, 2011, 04:59:09 pm »
Her relationship with Sam Matterface is yet more annoying. And baffling. Was her life really lacking nose?

I just google imaged him. It made me want to kill myself.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: July 6, 2011, 05:15:57 pm »
Dont mind it being on in the background most of the time and always like a bit of soccer saturday.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Moldyman

• Heart and soul, one will burn.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: July 6, 2011, 05:30:18 pm »
Was talking to a Manc one time about some transfer or something, and his words were "I'll believe it when I see it on SSN cuz when its on there you know it's FACT". Him dead serious too like.

I nearly rolled my eyes into oblivion.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: July 6, 2011, 05:34:44 pm »
Was talking to a Manc one time about some transfer or something, and his words were "I'll believe it when I see it on SSN cuz when its on there you know it's FACT". Him dead serious too like.

I nearly rolled my eyes into oblivion.

If he was a manc then it probably means his parents are related so that should be taken into consideration.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: July 6, 2011, 05:42:01 pm »
Being American I don't get to watch it much besides days when I stream it (usually transfer deadline days and days when I'm bored), but it generally seems like an all right channel.  I like the shows and general format of ESPN better though.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 6, 2011, 05:49:45 pm »
Ok, not wanting to turn this into a 'I hate Sky Sports News' hate thread (but it might), I just wanted people's opinions on it as a channel itself, i.e, what it has done for Sports 'news' coverage and if anyone actually thinks it's any good (I've yet to meet anyone who does).

I'm going to base this purely on football reporting (which lets face it. they'd be fucked without), because for ME, it's becoming more and more insidious. And I'm actually finding myself thinking it's become a mouthpiece for the rich clubs of the country and not much else.

Because they report rumour as FACT, and because they have unknown sources for their scoops (Sky Sports understands) a lot of their reporting is coming across as shit stirring or just blatant tapping up of players. I know, I know, 'no shit Paul'...  ;)

Well known Sky whore, Harry Redknapp was on the other day, being interviewed by that prize c*nt Jim White (crawling up his arse and starting every sentence with 'Harry') where he just flat out asked him which players he liked, or would like, and to which Redknapp then did his usual 'Oh, so and so is great, triffic player' and I just sat there thinking 'is this not just blatant tapping up?'

Aside from them turning the first day back in training, a day that usually passes by without fuss, of premier league clubs, into a MASSIVE news story, and the gimp with the touchscreen monitor showing us facts and figures and repeating over and over that Chelsea want Modric, it seems to have turned into a channel for Man Utd, Chelsea and City, putting positive spins on anything they do, highlighting minor issues at the clubs and just off-hand reports of anything else. The Modric thing they keep repeating over and over, as if doing so will help Chelsea get him.

E.g. Reporting we'd had a bid for Downing turned down. If this was Man U or Chelsea, they'd have cut to a report about it. Not us. They simply said 'bid turned down' and moved on to the next story.

So is it just me entering Andy@Allerton levels of paranoia? (sorry Andy). Or is it becoming more and more a mouthpiece for rich clubs, i.e. Chelsea and City, and a propaganda channel for all things relating to them and Utd?

Or is it just what it is, a shit channel reporting rumour as fact and courting those clubs simply because they are where the money, scandal and 'big stories' are, even if they have no genuine substance? And if it IS, what the fuck has happened to Sports reporting?

Me personal opinion, is I fucking hate it as a channel. Except for Natalie Sawyer. AND, before anyone says 'well stop watching it' I don't, but it does get the odd airing.

I agree with pretty much everything you just said there except I am more of a Charlotte Jackson man  ;)

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 6, 2011, 06:02:38 pm »
Does anyone actually watch SSN for news? Have a word with yourself if you do.

Its nothing more than sensationalist bullshit filled with "coming up after the break" nonsense every minute to keep you tuned in.

I only watch it for the girls, Natalie Sawyer, Charlotte Jackson, Charlie Webster, Hayley McQueen, Kirsty Gallagher etc. A complete visual wankfest  :D
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 6, 2011, 06:05:16 pm »
Few tits on it, some just OTT.

But i enjoy watching soccer saturday, even if its just to rage at merson and call him a prick.

Offline AriGold

• David James's stunt double
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #55 on: July 6, 2011, 06:27:01 pm »
Don't mind it, watch it for some parts of the day, mainly during transfer windows. <3 Soccer Saturday.
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Twitter... www.twitter.com/wickolfc

Offline Mavis Cruet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welsh Wool
« Reply #56 on: July 6, 2011, 06:51:50 pm »
It's annoying that they hardly cover any event that they don't show on the Sky channels. They did have some specials on Wimbledon this year but that seems to have been the exception to the rule. They barely say anything about the Olympics (I guess than might be different next year) or Winter Olympics or even the Six Nations rugby. It is just a big advert for the sports they cover.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: July 6, 2011, 06:58:12 pm »
Don't mind them.

The whole "they hate us" paranoia thing is cringe worthy though. They don't hate us, it's just natural for the better football teams to get the better press. We aren't amongst the best teams at the moment, so it's normal the "press" for us will be less fawning than normal.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 6, 2011, 07:07:30 pm »
Don't mind them.

The whole "they hate us" paranoia thing is cringe worthy though. They don't hate us, it's just natural for the better football teams to get the better press. We aren't amongst the best teams at the moment, so it's normal the "press" for us will be less fawning than normal.
Sky's hatred of Rafa was clear to see in my view.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: July 6, 2011, 07:12:56 pm »

Abundantly.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 6, 2011, 07:21:49 pm »
Agree, with Rafa it was personal though but nowt to do with the club he managed imo.

Offline pewithree3

• Has a grumpy old female arse.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: July 6, 2011, 09:35:07 pm »
barbie dolls & dickheads.

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 6, 2011, 09:46:24 pm »
I like the Irish bird on it.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 6, 2011, 09:47:27 pm »
I like the Irish bird on it.

Absolutely phenomenal lookin'.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #64 on: July 6, 2011, 09:49:08 pm »
The novelty has worn off a long long time ago. It's more like Newsround these days; you swerve it because it's for kids.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: July 6, 2011, 09:49:25 pm »
Robots regurgitating the same shite every 15 minutes. Awful

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #66 on: July 6, 2011, 09:51:28 pm »

Even that subsided a little in 08/09 when we were challengers and looking mighty. Still happened but we were one of the best teams then so we got positive press a lot more then I expected.

Offline AnnieRoad(Un)Faithful

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Olivavu
« Reply #67 on: July 6, 2011, 09:57:15 pm »

She's shagging that chud?!
"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 6, 2011, 10:41:46 pm »
She's shagging that chud?!

married with a kid

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 6, 2011, 11:45:36 pm »
Thing that annoys me is lazy journalism with linking man city to any decent player ( Im sure they are after most) but they seem to just add there name to any player, they used to do the same with chelsea.

Online Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #71 on: July 7, 2011, 01:05:22 am »
Don't mind them.

Has anyone actually said 'they hate us' in this thread?
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #72 on: July 7, 2011, 01:31:29 am »
I'd love to punch Brian Swanson smug mug every transfer season.

Him and his SSN understands or i just got off the phone with...when he's about the last to know as all he and SSN does is follow what the papers say and report it later.

The media is a mugs game.

Swanson and his count down clock..grrrrrrr.

Then the idiot tallys up what clubs spend and has this huge transfer fee. Well If we buy Henderson for 15 mil and Sunderland spend 8 mil of that money on Wickham...in Swansons calculator that means 23 mil has been spent on players. When the net spend is 7 mil. Somehow in SSN's estimation every bit of money spent adds up together. Glad them idiots don't do their own accounts or SSN would be screwed with the tax revenue lads.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: July 7, 2011, 01:43:01 am »
This could be seen as a rant lol

First of all the rolling 24 hour news progs including Sky Sports News have a lot of time to fill, too much when something big is happening and way way too much on a slow news day. Thats why they are padded out with all the horseshit that they are. The smallest snippets of news are dragged out further than they should in a pitifull attempt to fill the vast amount of air time that they have to fill. The result is everything they report is "breaking news" or "exclusive" or the next great threat to human kind like bird flu or Sars, remember them? To keep you watching they employ the likes of Merson or Redknapp junior to say the most outrageous things you know are rubbish and so you wait for them to be ridiculed for it whilst being fed a diet of ads as well as having your hard earned stolen from your wallet for the subs. Have you ever noticed if you turn over from one sky ch to another you nearly always turn over to an ad? On a big news day the event is flogged to death by presenters who know nothing about that which they spout so they can save the horseshit for later when the news is slow again.

Back to SSN. Never watched it when it was on freeview at home, it was sometimes on in the canteen at work and I dont miss it now its gone, I hate Murdoch and Sky and all his hangers on including both the "newspapers" banned rightly on here. If this Government allows him to take overall control of Sky I think the whole company should be banned here as well. I would not have a sky subscription at any price and will continue watching my footy on TV either by sat from "other" continental providors or thru streams from which Murdoch makes nothing from me. I wish everybody else would do the same. This horrible horrible man and Sky TV would be much less powerfull if he did not have a monopoly on EPL footy and new release films.  Oh and those who sub to Sky would save a packet as well!

Now waiting for my phone to be hacked so they can tip off the bizzies that Im watching the latest blockbuster film in English on Greek or Albanian TV!

Sorry bout that, rant over
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: July 7, 2011, 02:53:35 am »
The fact that they glamorise the disgusting amount of money that gets spent during the window with that Brian Swanson and his cunting totaliser sums them up for me.
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline The Manhattan Project

• snood fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Have Become Death, The Destroyer Of Worlds
« Reply #75 on: July 7, 2011, 05:29:51 am »
Wank fodder

That's all its good for.

My problems with SSN are part of a general attitude I have that 24 hour rolling news channels are pointless, and in the absence of real stories to fill their time, they inevitably resort to reporting any old shit to fill the airtime
china syndrome 810512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 59118 identification unknown 113
source transmission 4121 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 0101505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 010414 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #76 on: July 7, 2011, 09:57:30 am »
Come home from work and will put it on and see if any major confirmed news.
If the cretin that is Jim White is on air, the channel gets changed.

Him and the transfer gimp are just vile creatures. Charlotte Jackson, makes the viewing a lot easier.
They need to fill the 24 hrs airtime with something and more often than not, it is shite.

I find it rather strange they have one of the hardest and best known sporting events taking place, a team in it called Team Sky and yet they show very little coverage or mention any news from that.

No one gives a fuck where Ashley Cole went on holiday.
Come home from work and will put it on and see if any major confirmed news.
If the cretin that is Jim White is on air, the channel gets changed.

Him and the transfer gimp are just vile creatures. Charlotte Jackson, makes the viewing a lot easier.
They need to fill the 24 hrs airtime with something and more often than not, it is shite.

I find it rather strange they have one of the hardest and best known sporting events taking place, a team in it called Team Sky and yet they show very little coverage or mention any news from that.

No one gives a fuck where Ashley Cole went on holiday.

It's just basically a ride around the French countryside, tuff my asre.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: July 7, 2011, 10:00:29 am »
used to be the only thing I watched on freeview

Offline callanlfc5times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: July 7, 2011, 10:05:16 am »
It's a piece of shit. As is all of Sky.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE
FOR THE 96
JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Alonso

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: July 7, 2011, 10:16:15 am »
Used to love it, but as I've got older & wiser come to realise that it's nothing more than sensationalist bollocks. More often than not huge deals are made out of tiny 'stories', facts are often left out in aid of a good headline & whenever they 'EXCLUSIVELY REVEAL' anything you can garuntee that some poor bastard at the echo, or the sunday herald or something like that has broken the story 5 hours before & has been given absolutely zero recognition. Then there's the obvious Mr Alex Ferguson, Redknapp love ins which are just baffling to say the least, The whole channel is extremely odd & I barely watch it anymore.

Agree with this.

Also, seeing Rooney on their adverts celebrating in slow motion gets tedious after the 5000th time in a week.