Author Topic: Struggling with depression  (Read 618617 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Struggling with depression
« Reply #7400 on: May 21, 2021, 07:13:11 pm »
It'll be good to get back to trying to organise forum get togethers and pre season friendlies.  Not that I've been to any but I do enjoy reading everyone's experiences and the planning that goes into it.

Maybe later this summer I'll get to do the things I'd planned for my 60th birthday last year and get to the museum with a tour round Anfield and maybe an overnight stay in the city.

Get a move on with the tour, the next ones are allowing you to walk on the pitch into the centre circle. I would actually recommend doing the legends day, full tour and a 3 course meal plus a couple of reds legends, we had Phil Neal and Aldo on ours. You get a signed pic with them and they will happily sign stuff, I got one of the kids shirts signed.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7401 on: May 22, 2021, 10:08:42 am »
Get a move on with the tour, the next ones are allowing you to walk on the pitch into the centre circle. I would actually recommend doing the legends day, full tour and a 3 course meal plus a couple of reds legends, we had Phil Neal and Aldo on ours. You get a signed pic with them and they will happily sign stuff, I got one of the kids shirts signed.

Sounds good that one Rob I'll look into it as I didn't realise they were doing any tours yet.

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #7402 on: May 27, 2021, 06:06:15 pm »
Feeling pretty bummed out this week.  I feel like I should be buzzing really - things are opening up again, the football's ended on a bit of a high (once we got used to the idea of adjusting our ambitions!), and my housemate (very much a 'tolerating the necessity' arrangement) is away for a long week for the first time since the turn of the year.  I actually had a decent weekend & start of the week too.  But I still find myself sat here feeling a bit lonely and lost over the course of the last 24-30ish hours.  My parents are visiting at the weekend too - that will be really good.  Just feel so detached from the positivity at either end of the week - like it's a resource somehow untapped.  I've even done a few simple bits of [do they call it?] 'life admin' today - flagged an issue with the landlord, booked a haircut, finally registered with a new GP, and I'm going for a run...today should feel good, I think.

I often find myself with a feeling that 'my world' isn't 'getting bigger', if that makes sense.  Going to the pub on Tuesday with my mate was sound, but it was just normality.  My parents visiting (particularly being able to stay for a couple of days for the first time since the back end of summer) should be a really good thing and will be enjoyable, but also has a sense of 'back to normal' about it.  I've got next week off work (apart from half a day I'm doing on Tuesday afternoon, because I can't let go and the thing that needs doing can only be done next week), which should be nice & relaxing but I'm conscious that my housemate (who'll be back) will be working from home in the other room and so I've just sort of got to keep myself to myself whilst I'm in (when I'd love to be playing guitar badly or blasting some music out, etc).

Also feel a bit like I'm increasingly feeling like the group I watch the match with are more akin to 'acquaintances' than 'friends'.  I'm usually the most proactive of us - rallying everyone to get together, etc - and I find the radio silence when I have a more passive week or two really disappointing.  You notice it a lot over the summer, when the match isn't on - the usual routine is broken, and (though I'm very happy doing things alone) it's really frustrating that nobody gets in touch to suggest the beer garden or whatever.  Tend to struggle a bit with 'the banter' too - I (think?) I'm the more sensitive & thoughtful one, and I'm just a bit bored of it all...not getting what I need from it, and I've no idea how to widen the network.

I've definitely always been prone to the melancholy, but I', just increasingly feeling like it's not good enough - we're all just getting older, after all.

Always have that sense of 'some people have really problems' (I say that non-specifically) when I post in here, but I suppose I must be feeling it's better out than in today.

Hope everyone else is doing alright  :wave

*1st dose of Moderna and two boss bits of news from my brother recently too...it should all be good.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 06:09:29 pm by jackh »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7403 on: May 27, 2021, 07:36:19 pm »
It's always the same, Jack.  From a material standpoint, I'm absolutely fine.  Got a roof over my head, secure finances, able to indulge myself in my creative habits when I feel like it.  But there's a constant emptiness and sense of feeling unfulfilled, coupled with a resentment that this wasn't the life that I was meant to live.  Knowing you can make fresh choices is pointless if you can't get outside your own box and actually SEE alternatives.

My best advice to you is to see if you can join in some new social groups and try to make new connections.  They don't have to be particularly close, but perhaps new people will bring a fresh energy into your life?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7404 on: June 23, 2021, 12:10:34 pm »
Noy everyone is able to share, or open up or talk to people. They are the most wretched...

Yes,it can be very,very difficult to admit that you're struggling.

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #7405 on: June 23, 2021, 12:20:55 pm »

No shortage of empathy in this thread, whether people want to post or just share a private message with others  :)

Hello from Liverpool (via Mid Wales) to South Wales, by the way  :wave Not a part of the 'homeland' (made a quick 24 hour visit - just my third in 16 months - this weekend actually!) I've visited, but I hear it's beautiful - I'm sure particularly so during recent good weather.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 12:23:25 pm by jackh »

Online Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7406 on: June 23, 2021, 12:41:04 pm »
No shortage of empathy in this thread, whether people want to post or just share a private message with others  :)

Hello from Liverpool (via Mid Wales) to South Wales, by the way  :wave Not a part of the 'homeland' (made a quick 24 hour visit - just my third in 16 months - this weekend actually!) I've visited, but I hear it's beautiful - I'm sure particularly so during recent good weather.

It's pretty enough I suppose and the visitors seem to like it.

Just a pity the whole county seems to be turning into a massive retirement community.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7407 on: June 23, 2021, 01:53:50 pm »
I don't know how commonplace it is but I've been hearing/reading about "walk & talk" sessions being set up recently here in Anglesey.

A new client, who is a counsellor, first told me about hers which she started doing for those clients who didn't like having Zoom or other online sessions.

Then another one I saw on Facebook where the council gave teamed up with another counsellor to start sessions for anyone who wants to join in.  I think these are more group sessions though rather than one to one.

Seems like a brilliant idea considering getting out and about on walks, exercise in general and talking all help people going through a tough time.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7408 on: June 23, 2021, 02:07:58 pm »
I don't know how commonplace it is but I've been hearing/reading about "walk & talk" sessions being set up recently here in Anglesey.

A new client, who is a counsellor, first told me about hers which she started doing for those clients who didn't like having Zoom or other online sessions.

Then another one I saw on Facebook where the council gave teamed up with another counsellor to start sessions for anyone who wants to join in.  I think these are more group sessions though rather than one to one.

Seems like a brilliant idea considering getting out and about on walks, exercise in general and talking all help people going through a tough time.

That's really good!  I refuse to use zoom myself, or do therapy over the phone.  I find it impersonal, intrusive, and stressful.  Plus I feel a lot of nuance is missed. I'd like a walk and talk - or maybe a chat'n'bench :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7409 on: June 23, 2021, 04:12:14 pm »
That's really good!  I refuse to use zoom myself, or do therapy over the phone.  I find it impersonal, intrusive, and stressful.  Plus I feel a lot of nuance is missed. I'd like a walk and talk - or maybe a chat'n'bench :)

It seemed such a natural progression of traditional therapy to me when my client first told me. 

Then when I saw the post on Facebook and how many people were responding positively it sounds like a no brainer really.

It almost makes me think about doing my counselling training again.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #7410 on: June 23, 2021, 04:47:49 pm »
Not just that. Sometimes you can admit to yourself that you are struggling, be aware that you are falling, but cannot - congenitally cannot - open up to other people, however much you might want to, or however much you might know that you need help.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7411 on: June 24, 2021, 09:24:14 am »
It seemed such a natural progression of traditional therapy to me when my client first told me. 

Then when I saw the post on Facebook and how many people were responding positively it sounds like a no brainer really.

It almost makes me think about doing my counselling training again.

Yeah. I think the only real issue, which ties into the challenge of opening up, is holding things together in public. I hold a lot back because I don't want the dam to burst at an inopportune time. Also, sometimes you just don't want to talk. You just want someone to hold you as you cry your guts out. I don't find crying alone to be very cathartic.

Popcorn's Art

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #7412 on: August 25, 2021, 04:22:03 pm »
Parking this here. Remember, people, there is ALWAYS someone to talk to.......

*hugs*

Thanks again all.

Worst week of my life, by far.

But I've just finished going through all the paperwork and admin........and I've arranged an event for Monday next.

I know none of you knew my dad (I barely did!!!!!!) but I've chosen a charity in Milton Keynes that supports young people struggling with depression and anxiety and other mental health conditions.

If anyone's feeling generous, stick a couple of quid in here and tell 'em you're from Red And White Kop?

https://donate.giveasyoulive.com/fundraising/philip-bale

Saying that I know none of you knew him, I realise that that might not be factually correct.......

My father's teaching career started in the early 70s in Halewood Grange as it was then known. He taught Spanish and French there until 1986 and became Head of Modern Languages at Stantonbury Campus in Milton Keynes, which has strong connections to the chosen charity.

It's very apt, I feel.

So now I have to go through all the possessions in the house........and walk up and down those stairs too many times......

I saw him the other day, by the way, in the mortuary. That was important. Difficult, very, very hard - but necessary.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7413 on: August 25, 2021, 06:41:35 pm »

*hugs*

hugs back mate.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #7414 on: September 4, 2021, 04:12:44 pm »

*hugs*

All the best Jim, and sorry for your loss.

So, I've been off work now for almost 14 months with what is now a combination of PTSD (Childhood Trauma, ta da!), Anxiety, Depression and some Autistic traits.

The plan was to return to work, however work have said that they would prefer me to get a definitive Autism diagnosis - which is all well and good from the point of view of them being able to give me the level of support I need, however I have been waiting for an assessment for the best part of a year, and might - based on current estimates be waiting for another year - as you can imagine, this is causing my anxiety levels to go to almost intolerable levels, I've been put on Mirtazapine, which on top of the Aripiprazole and the Citalopram is a nightmare cocktail for someone who is desperate to lose the weight that I've gained during this entire shitshow.

I also have been referred to the IAPT centre down here for the anxiety. So - I'm able to get help for the symptom, but not the fucking cause. Su-fucking-perb.

There is a part of me now, that would quite like to be put out of my misery in regards to work, because even by time I get the assessment date, its still going to be months until I get some form of confirmation diagnosis - because quitting the job voluntarily means getting zero support from the state - which is fucking ludicrous - and also I've been getting support via their healthcare provider - checking up on me to make sure they're giving me the support I need. I have an appointment with them in a few days, so am going to see what they can do - whether I can get an assessment privately or not - but its not what I need right now.

The other thing is, having been off for so long, I am getting more and more worried about how others in my social group are feeling about me as well as my work, no one has said anything off the beaten track - but surely there is only so much people can take before they give up on someone.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2021, 04:17:58 pm by Commie Bobbie »
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7415 on: September 8, 2021, 06:20:25 pm »
Finally had some time and space to drop into, after the three hardest weeks of my life, which rocked me to my core and caused me, more than once, to question my very existence in this world.

I am, however, pleased to report that we raised exactly £600 for the Youth Information Services's mental health projects, assisting young people in Milton Keynes to deal with their psychological issues, such as depression.

The fact my father committed suicide has been a brutal blow - and it's proven so desperately unnecessary, as he was loved by so many people around him. But he just couldn't connect - or come to terms with - himself.

Thanks RAWKits - you contributed so much towards that sum and the kindness of strangers here never fails to move me.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7416 on: September 8, 2021, 08:54:39 pm »
Sorry to hear everyone’s struggles

I’ve been the doctors this morning,  is as told I’m dealing with stress and anxiety.   Been really struggling recently,   Lost my dad last March and then my mum in July.    I’ve since found out that my brother had emptied my mums bank account.     I’ve got no proof but also think he had forged my signature on an insurance policy.    It looks like I’ll have to go down the legal route on all of this.    A lot more people I this story but if I’m honest it is battering my head.     I hate all this sort of stuff,     Need someone to help me through it but you certainly find out who your mates are at times like this.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7417 on: September 10, 2021, 05:46:44 pm »
spen mate you got anyone who can support you? I can't imagine what you're experiencing - different levels of hell for us both, eh? Do what needs to be done to maintain your own emotional hygiene though, PM me if needed. I can look around for good resources, depending where you live.

Also, today is World Suicide Prevention Day. The World Health Organisation estimates that 700,000 people take their own lives every year.

That's one every 40 seconds.

It is also estimated that white males over 50 account for up to 70% of suicides.

My dad was 73.

I'd rather have heard his story than planned his funeral.

My message to people here struggling is talk to someone - anyone - and if you can't find someone you trust, then trust me. There's a reason I chose the name 24/7 when I registered.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7418 on: September 10, 2021, 06:05:27 pm »
spen mate you got anyone who can support you? I can't imagine what you're experiencing - different levels of hell for us both, eh? Do what needs to be done to maintain your own emotional hygiene though, PM me if needed. I can look around for good resources, depending where you live.

Also, today is World Suicide Prevention Day. The World Health Organisation estimates that 700,000 people take their own lives every year.

That's one every 40 seconds.

It is also estimated that white males over 50 account for up to 70% of suicides.

My dad was 73.

I'd rather have heard his story than planned his funeral.

My message to people here struggling is talk to someone - anyone - and if you can't find someone you trust, then trust me. There's a reason I chose the name 24/7 when I registered.

Thanks mate.     I’m a buy of a loner so very tough for me to open up,    I could talk to one of my customers

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #7419 on: October 7, 2021, 11:00:35 am »
Having read some of the posts in here, and trying to understand some of the struggles and the pain and the hardship that some wonderful people on this forum have been and are dealing with, honestly, I feel a bit of a fraud posting in this thread.

The truth is though, I'm struggling at the moment and it's difficult to know who to really get things out to. My wife is fantastic but she knows i'm not good at opening up, even to her, and so she doesn't push me. I've always been that way. As much as I want to, and as much as I do try, I just can't get things out. I find it easier to write things down, and I'm hoping just putting it down here might help in some way.

I lost my dad in April last year, after a couple of years of watching him slowly fade away thanks to Alzheimer's. As truly heartbreaking as it was to lose my dad, my hero, my best friend - there was a part of me that was relieved. Relieved for him, first and foremost, that he didn't have to experience that confusion and panic for a second longer, but also relieved that my mum and I didn't have to continue to watch on helplessly as a wonderful and once powerful man was broken down systematically in that most awful of ways. But I felt guilty that I was relieved. I still do. I just couldn't bear to watch what it was doing to him, taking away who he was and leaving a shell of the man I loved with all of my heart in front of me. I'd give absolutely anything to have him back, to see him again, even just for a second. I sometimes worry that I'm forgetting what his voice sounded like and it kills me. My dad passed away exactly two months after our twin boys were born, and he was in the same hospital at that point. Because of COVID we didn't take them to see him, because I was trying as best as I could to keep him safe at a time when not a lot was known. I regret not taking his grandchildren to him, to let him hold them and to have even just a fleeting moment of knowing that a part of him was going to live on not just through me, but through them now as well. And for them to meet their granddad. To be held by the greatest man I've ever known. Just once. If I knew then what I know now I would have taken them without hesitation. The one thing that I hang onto when I think about those last couple of years with my dad is that, as bad as things became, he never forgot who I was, or my mum. That was my biggest fear and I'm so thankful that even in that hospital, towards the end, he was proudly telling people in his ward that; "this is my son".

Because of COVID I had to tell my mum that her husband of 57 years had passed away through her living room window. As her legs went from under her and she wailed in a way that will never leave me, there was nothing I could do for her, other than stand and watch as her world fell apart. The last 18 months have been unbelievably tough for her, losing my dad and then being left isolated and alone because of wider global circumstances meaning that she was terrified to so much as open the door to people. I'll tell you what though, she got through that period with a resilience, dignity and strength that I could only dream of. I tried to help her as much as I could, called her every day, set her up with her "machine" as she called it (basically a tablet designed for seniors), so I could video call her and show her the boys and make her feel less like she was on her own island. Beneath the hard shell that my mum was very good at projecting though, I know she was in pieces, and she was trying to help me by not revealing that as much as she possibly could.

On Monday this week my mum passed away as well. The thing that I'm struggling most with, and which was different to my dad, is the shock of it. The unexpected nature of the loss. The thing with watching someone fade over a period of time is that you unconsciously process the loss, to some extent anyway, over a prolonged period. Or at least I feel like I did. It was like watching him die, every day, for two to three years. Clinging to the glimpses that he sometimes gave you of himself but ultimately knowing that they were ever more transient. This time there was no adjustment period. No foresight. Just gone. Like that. Black. It's crippled me, and I can't shake this overwhelming sense of being alone. For the first time in my life I feel utterly alone. And I know that's stupid and frankly, not true - I have my wife, who I adore, and my two boys - but every waking thought is consumed by the realisation that the two people on this planet who were always there for me, no matter what, are gone. My mum had been there every day of my life. On Tuesday, for the very first time in 37 years, I woke up in a world that didn't have her in it. Neither of them are there today, and they won't be tomorrow. I don't have a 'home' any more. The place I knew I could always go if I was in trouble. And I feel selfish for thinking in this way. And for feeling angry with her that she's gone, now, when she just was not supposed to, and leaving me. And behind all of it I feel such guilt that I wasn't there. That she was on her own when she died. I spoke to her on Friday, I showed her the boys, she was watching them mess about in the bath and she was happy. I even told her she looked and sounded like she was doing well, and she replied that she felt good. I spoke to her on Saturday too. I ended that conversation by reminding her that I was going to the football on Sunday so I wouldn't call her that day. On Monday she left me a voicemail saying she didn't feel well. I was working and didn't pick it up until early evening. By the time I called back she didn't answer, and I assumed she'd just gone to bed, as she remarked that she might. What if I hadn't gone to the football and had called her on Sunday? What if I'd answered that call on Monday? What if i'd just gone over to see her? Or called her doctor? What if. What if. What if. Would it have changed things? Would she still be here today? That's going round and round in my head. I know i'm beating myself up here over things that have no real answer, and she would never have questioned, but I'm just utterly haunted by the thought of her suffering alone at the very end and the thought of being able to have changed that.

They don't know how she died and so i'm now waiting for a post mortem. I then have to go and clear her home, their home - my home, and the prospect of that fills me with utter dread. They lived in that house for 50 years. I grew up there. Everywhere I look it feels like i'm watching home movies playing in my head, of memories from those rooms. Like there are ghosts of all three of us in every corner. I went through a lot of this with my dad last year, but not this part. I'm an only child so there is no brother or sister to help me with this. My wife won't let me do it alone, and I'm truly grateful that I have a core of friends that i've known since I was 4 years old and I know they're there as well. But at the same time, I feel like I need to do this. Nobody else. I have to do this. But the thought of for all intents and purposes clearing out my parents lives from that house which was their home for the majority of their time on this planet is so final that I almost can't process it. I want to close the door and leave it as it is, as my mum had it and wanted it. But I can't. I know that. I don't know where to start.

I had to start calling people to let them know yesterday. I got the numbers from the little phone book that my mum kept with her always, and the devastating irony in this is that I had intended to go round to hers on Friday morning before she was up, to grab the phone numbers for her friends and remaining family, to invite them to an 80th birthday celebration for her that I was planning for next month. She didn't know I was planning it. Those same people I'm now calling to let know that she's no longer here. In the back of that phone book she'd written a note to her best friend (and my dad's too, when he was still with us) which simply read: "Look after my boy". I don't know when she wrote that, specifically why, or even if he knows about it (I suspect not), but it summed her up in so many ways; Worrying about others rather than herself, and particularly me. The last words I said to her was that I loved her. I hope that was with her at the end.

Now I feel broken and alone and I just want that to stop.

I'm rambling so i'll finish there.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2021, 05:29:28 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7420 on: October 7, 2021, 12:59:32 pm »
So so sorry for your loss.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #7421 on: October 7, 2021, 01:04:41 pm »
First of all I'm so sorry for your loss. Second, You have nothing to feel a fraud about.

Dealing with grief is tough enough in itself. Dealing with the loss of a parent makes its much worse. Because as you say they are with you from day one.

I can't say or do anything to ease it. My dad passed away after battling cancer for six months in 2008 and my mum is going through cancer herself.

While it wasn't "years" to prepare for my dad I was able to prepare.

You cannot blame yourself, what ifs will only torture you and you'll never have an answer.

My advice would be to reach out to a a grief counselor in some form, it's a specific case of hurt you're going through and I'm sure you know, there's likely to be a big "thud" once the process of dealing with your mum's affairs and funeral have passed.

I take it you have no siblings?

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #7422 on: October 7, 2021, 01:06:56 pm »
Having read some of the posts in here, and trying to understand some of the struggles and the pain and the hardship that some wonderful people on this forum have been and are dealing with, honestly, I feel a bit of a fraud posting in this thread.

The truth is though, I'm struggling at the moment and it's difficult to know who to really get things out to. My wife is fantastic but she knows i'm not good at opening up, even to her, and so she doesn't push me. I've always been that way. As much as I want to, and as much as I do try, I just can't get things out. I find it easier to write things down, and I'm hoping just putting it down here might help in some way.

I lost my dad in April last year, after a couple of years of watching him slowly fade away thanks to Alzheimer's. As truly heartbreaking as it was to lose my dad, my hero, my best friend - there was a part of me that was relieved. Relieved for him, first and foremost, that he didn't have to experience that confusion and panic for a second longer, but also relieved that my mum and I didn't have to watch on helplessly any longer as a wonderful and once powerful man was broken down systematically in that most awful of ways. But I felt guilty that I was relieved. I still do. I just couldn't bear to watch what it was doing to him, taking away who he was and leaving a shell of the man I loved with all of my heart in front of me. I'd give absolutely anything to have him back, to see him again, even just for a second. I sometimes worry that I'm forgetting what his voice sounded like and it kills me. My dad passed away exactly one month after our twin boys were born, and he was in the same hospital at that point. Because of COVID we didn't take them to see him, because I was trying as best as I could to keep him safe at a time when not a lot was known. I regret not taking his grandchildren to him, to let him hold them and to have even just a fleeting moment of knowing that a part of him was going to live on not just through me, but through them now as well. And for them to meet their granddad. To be held by the greatest man I've ever known. Just once. If I knew then what I know now I would have taken them without hesitation. The one thing that I hang onto when I think about those last couple of years with my dad is that, as bad as things became, he never forgot who I was, or my mum. That was my biggest fear and I'm so thankful that even in that hospital, towards the end, he was proudly telling people in his ward that; "this is my son".

Because of COVID I had to tell my mum that her husband of 57 years had passed away through her living room window. As her legs went from under her and she wailed in a way that will never leave me, there was nothing I could do for her, other than stand and watch as her world fell apart. The last 18 months have been unbelievably tough for her, losing my dad and then being left isolated and alone because of wider global circumstances meaning that she was terrified to so much as open the door to people. I'll tell you what though, she got through that period with a resilience, dignity and strength that I could only dream of. I tried to help her as much as I could, called her every day, set her up with her "machine" as she called it (basically a tablet designed for seniors), so I could video call her and show her the boys and make her feel less like she was on her own island. Beneath the hard shell that my mum was very good at projecting though, I know she was in pieces, and she was trying to help me by not revealing that as much as she possibly could.

On Monday this week my mum passed away as well. The thing that I'm struggling most with, and which was different to my dad, is the shock of it. The unexpected nature of the loss. The thing with watching someone fade over a period of time is that you unconsciously process the loss, to some extent anyway, over a prolonged period. Or at least I feel like I did. It was like watching him die, every day, for two to three years. Clinging to the glimpses that he sometimes gave you of himself but ultimately knowing that they were increasingly fleeting. This time there was no adjustment period. No foresight. Just gone. Like that. Black. It's crippled me, and I can't shake this overwhelming sense of being alone. For the first time in my life I feel utterly alone. And I know that's stupid and frankly, not true - I have my wife, who I adore, and my two boys - but every waking thought is consumed by the realisation that the two people on this planet who were always there for me, no matter what, are gone. My mum had been there every day of my life. On Tuesday, for the very first time in 37 years, I woke up in a world that didn't have her in it. Neither of them are there today, and they won't be tomorrow. I don't have a 'home' any more. The place I knew I could always go if I was in trouble. And I feel selfish for thinking in this way. And for feeling angry with her that she's gone, now, when she just was not supposed to, and leaving me. And behind all of it I feel such guilt that I wasn't there. That she was on her own when she died. I spoke to her on Friday, I showed her the boys, she was watching them mess about in the bath and she was happy. I even told her she looked and sounded like she was doing well, and she replied that she felt good. I spoke to her on Saturday too. I ended that conversation by reminding her that I was going to the football on Sunday so I wouldn't call her that day. On Monday she left me a voicemail saying she didn't feel well. I was working and didn't pick it up until early evening. By the time I called back she didn't answer, and I assumed she'd just gone to bed, as she remarked that she might. What if I hadn't gone to the football and had called her on Sunday? What if I'd answered that call on Monday? What if i'd just gone over to see her? Or called her doctor? What if. What if. What if. Would it have changed things? Would she still be here today? That's going round and round in my head. I know i'm beating myself up here over things that have no real answer, and she would never have questioned, but I'm just utterly haunted by the thought of her suffering alone at the very end and the thought of being able to have changed that.

They don't know how she died and so i'm now waiting for a post mortem. I then have to go and clear her home, their home - my home, and the prospect of that fills me with utter dread. They lived in that house for 50 years. I grew up there. Everywhere I look it feels like i'm watching home movies playing in my head, of memories from those rooms. Like there are ghosts of all three of us playing on loop. I went through a lot of this with my dad last year, but not this part. I'm an only child so there is no brother or sister to help me with this. My wife won't let me do it alone, and I'm truly grateful that I have a core of friends that i've known since I was 4 years old and I know they're there as well. But at the same time, I feel like I need to do this. Nobody else. I have to do this. But the thought of for all intents and purposes clearing out my parents lives from that house which was their home for the majority of their time on this planet is so final that I almost can't process it. I want to close the door and leave it as it is, as my mum had it and wanted it. But I can't. I know that. I don't know where to start.

I had to start calling people to let them know yesterday. I got the numbers from the little phone book that my mum kept with her always, and the devastating irony in this is that I had intended to go round to hers on Friday morning before she was up, to grab the phone numbers for her friends and remaining family, to invite them to an 80th birthday celebration for her that I was planning for next month. She didn't know I was planning it. Those same people I'm now calling to let know that she's no longer here. In the back of that phone book she'd written a note to her best friend (and my dad's too, when he was still with us) which simply read: "Look after my boy". I don't know when she wrote that, specifically why, or even if he knows about it (I suspect not), but it summed her up in so many ways; Worrying about others rather than herself, and particularly me. The last words I said to her was that I loved her. I hope that was with her at the end.

Now I feel broken and alone and I just want that to stop.

I'm rambling so i'll finish there.

Jesus mate, I'm absolutely gutted for you, I really am.

Really powerful words mate that shows your clearly a decent lad. Please don't think I'm trying to condescend you, but those emotions you are feeling are absolutely normal. I felt, and sometimes continue to feel, these when my mum, rock and best friend passed away suddenly in 2019. I felt guilt, even though I was there when it happened (she had a stroke at home), I felt anger, why did it happen to my mum, she was only 69, why are my mates' parents still going strong in their 80s, its not fair. Really horrible thoughts that I hated thinking, but you can't help it.
They reckon that until you've lost a parent you can't explain the pain that you feel, the loneliness or the constant questions that go around in your head.

All I will say is it does get better eventually, use your mates, if you've got good lads around use them, lean on them, it will help.

Goes without saying mate you can message me, even give me a bell or meet for a beer.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7423 on: October 7, 2021, 01:11:39 pm »
Deepest condolences, Grobbell. I hope that by sharing your thoughts here, you might feel a sense of clarity, if not relief.

The only suggestion I would make at this point is if you struggle to open up and feel more comfortable with written words, then perhaps write something for your wife? It doesn't need to be exhaustive. Alternatively, you can chat with the samaritans by email.

This is a difficult time, as even find memories can be painful. But we're all here for you.

Popcorn's Art

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7424 on: October 7, 2021, 01:22:22 pm »
That's a devastating story Grobbelrevell, one of the most vivid posts I've ever read on here.

I haven't much to offer but try not to be too hard on yourself and get the help that you can, that you deserve. It's all very recent and very raw and it must be hard to make sense of. We can't know what our loved ones are thinking about in their last breath or even project when they will occur but I think it's everything that has gone before which is more important and matters in the end. All those years spent with them, growing up, enriching their lives, being a good son - (being a father, I'm sure you now know the joy, the meaning to life that children give parents). And now by continuing the family bloodline you are continuing their legacy.  Really sorry for your loss.

You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #7425 on: October 7, 2021, 07:22:59 pm »
Grobbelrevell, I am so sorry to hear of your loses. How utterly devastating. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Please rest assured you are not a fraud in any way at all, and are currently trying to process one of the most distressing and devastating things human beings have to deal with in life.

I have to agree with AlphaDelta when he said that all your feelings are normal given your circumstances. Highly distressing of course, but they are normal. With this in mind, I'd suggest trying not to struggle with your thoughts and feelings. As much as you can, make room for them and let them ebb and flow. Fighting against them tends to fuel them further. Also, don't judge your thoughts and feelings harshly. All manner of things go through the mind in times of such devastating trauma. Again, this is distressing, but normal.

You say you struggle to open up, but are more comfortable writing things down. Personally, I find writing extremely cathartic when I'm grieving. I have a number of jumbo writing pads that I've used to write down my thoughts and feelings when going through personal loses I've suffered. It's just between myself and my journal. I just let the thoughts and feelings flow from the pen and onto the paper. No holds barred, just raw thoughts and feelings. With time, this has helped me cope, helped me express my grief vividly and honestly and eventually helped me make some sense of it all. If writing helps you in any way, get yourself a pad and use it as a journal.

There are always a number of wonderfully supportive people on this site if you need to offload here in print. Red_Mark mentioned grief counselling. That can be a very useful support further down the line, and one you may consider at some point. It's not recommended this early in a bereavement though, because things are far too raw and your world is still in utter turmoil. Bereavement counselling is more helpful and people can engage better with it maybe six months or so in, when the initial horrendous trauma has naturally subsided to a level where it can be faced.

In the meantime, if you need to cry, then cry. If you need to vent in print, then write it all out. No one else need see it. If you need support on here, let people know. If you have anyone in your life who you trust to talk to, then talk to them. If you just want to offload to a stranger you'll never know or meet, call Samaritans.

I wish I could offer more, but knowing grief and loss as I do I know the only way through it is through it. I also know that you will come through it given time.

Again, my sincere condolences. Please take care of yourself.

« Last Edit: October 7, 2021, 07:24:41 pm by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7426 on: October 7, 2021, 07:27:15 pm »
So sorry for your losses Grob. Horrible to have to go through both of them.

That was honestly one of the most beautifully written posts I’ve ever read on here. Your parents were clearly great people and they’ll be very proud of you.

Make sure you get help from your wife and your mates, don’t go through things alone. And you’ll know already that there are many people on here who can help if you need it. Take care.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7427 on: October 8, 2021, 12:42:00 pm »
You're the polar opposite of a fraud mate, I'd say its incredibly brave to post something so personal on a forum for people who are essentially strangers to read. As others have said far more eloquently, all of your feelings are absolutely normal. I can't imagine the heartache of losing one parent, let alone two so close to each other. But they both sound like brilliant people, both sound like they were very proud of you and hopefully you can console yourself with at least your mum being able to enjoy her grandchildren before she went. You say you've lost the two people who would always have your back, but I'm sure your wife and your two boys will be exactly the same now mate.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7428 on: October 11, 2021, 12:35:21 am »
snip
I read this beautifully written post on Friday and I've been thinking about it ever since. I lost my mother to cancer a couple of months back and we finally scattered her ashes this weekend. In a way, I was lucky in that she'd gone into a hospice in late June and after two years of hardly being able to see her due to Covid, I was able to visit her every couple of days until the end. It also meant I saw her deteriorate close up, but it felt like a blessing to help her get through the last few weeks, even if what I could do was limited. Even though I'm past the intense grieving period there are still times when a feeling of overwhelming emptiness hits me, or the realisation that the talks we could have had or the times we could have shared are now gone forever.

This is a personal response but I think it's important to remember two things. The first is that none of this is your fault. Everyone feels guilty when someone we feel responsibility for passes, but nothing you could have done would have prevented your dad becoming ill. What happened with your mum would have happened regardless and there's nothing you could have done to stop her being afraid either - I remember speaking to mine on the phone not long before her chemo was stopped and hearing her so agitated at the idea of me coming to visit she was almost in tears, and feeling utterly helpless. It sounds like you were the best son you could have been and that's all they would have expected of you. Any failing you feel now is minor compared to all the times you were there and the positives they would have got from your support.

The other is that no matter how much it hurts, this is something that's natural. What your feeling is more intense because of the circumstances but we all have our cycle, move on and leave the next generation behind, hopefully as best equipped as we can make them to live fully. What you're feeling is probably the loss of that unconditional love we get from our parents, but they would have gone through that too and the fact you're feeling like this isn't a failing - it's how pretty much all of us feel in that situation in one way or another. You're only human. The fact you have friends and family who love you is a testament to the kind of person you are, and it's okay to lean on them. They want to help, just like you would if the situation was reversed.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7429 on: October 21, 2021, 09:11:50 am »
I probably think this is the most appropriate thread to post in, because whilst it hasn’t left me depressed, it’s re-opened a few old wounds.
Last weekend was boss for me, I spent Friday in a pub with a beautiful woman who I was lucky enough to hear she’s in love with me, Saturday I went into town to watch the game with my mates (and ended up on The Anfield Wrap in the background – it was being filmed in The Old Bank, James Street).

Sunday, I was knackered, two days of bevying had took its toll, but I had a good day watching telly, chilling, and tidying up.
I’m sat there in my shorts, watching Heat for the millionth time, debating whether to order myself a takeaway when there’s a knock on my door.

Stood at my door is a lad I went to school with, he only lives a few streets away and whilst I haven’t seen him in over 15 months, he’s someone I know well enough. He’s married to a girl I know really well, a girl who I went through nursey, infants, juniors, seniors and grew up with.

So, this lad stood at my door and he’s crying and looks like shit, this takes me aback a bit and I say, “alright pal, are you ok?”, he tells me his wife’s dead! It was like getting punched in the stomach and when you’re in shock you say stupid things, “are you sure?!”, I ask him incredulously.

His missus had collapsed suddenly in the bathroom only a few hours previously, because she fell against the door he couldn’t reach her and by the time the ambulance came, smashed the door in, there was nothing they could do for her.
I brought him in, give him a beer, sat him down, put a reassuring hand on his shoulder but genuinely didn’t know what to say.
He’s not someone who I would call a close mate, even though we’ve known each other since school.

Whilst he spoke to someone on the phone I went into the kitchen and with my eyes stinging I phoned a girl I know well who was in our class and knew his wife well. She came round straightaway and between the pair of us we supported him, comforted him, and talked to him.

All the memories of my mum came flooding back, the shock, the conversations, the emotions, it was horrible. After an hour or so when everyone had gone home, I sat back down on the couch, Heat paused at the spot where I paused it when he knocked on the door.
I was, and probably am stunned, this girl was the same age as me, this girl posted on Facebook the night before she died having taken her two kids to a Halloween party and just like that she’s been snatched away.

For me, the horror of a girl of 43, mother of a 5-year-old and 11-year-old, dying so suddenly, really frightened me. Stuff like this never happened in our 20s, or 30s, or maybe it did, and we were just lucky not to experience it.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7430 on: October 21, 2021, 04:40:49 pm »
I probably think this is the most appropriate thread to post in, because whilst it hasn’t left me depressed, it’s re-opened a few old wounds...

Oh mate, what an absolutely tragic post.  :'(  I could feel the emotions rising inside me just reading it.

All I can say is you did a good thing and were there when this poor person was going through the worst experience of their lives.

After reading you on here for quite some time now I know you are a good soul. Sometimes, people in real distress somehow find their way to a good soul to comfort them in their moment of greatest need. Thankfully, he had you.

The ephemeral nature of life always frightens me, and hearing experiences like this does shake a person. I'm not surprised it's prised some of your own relatively fresh wounds open once more. How could it not?

Take care, mate. I'm sure the support you offered was very much appreciated. I'm so sorry for the guy's loss and for their poor children.  :'(
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7431 on: October 22, 2021, 09:01:14 am »
Oh mate, what an absolutely tragic post.  :'(  I could feel the emotions rising inside me just reading it.

All I can say is you did a good thing and were there when this poor person was going through the worst experience of their lives.

After reading you on here for quite some time now I know you are a good soul. Sometimes, people in real distress somehow find their way to a good soul to comfort them in their moment of greatest need. Thankfully, he had you.

The ephemeral nature of life always frightens me, and hearing experiences like this does shake a person. I'm not surprised it's prised some of your own relatively fresh wounds open once more. How could it not?

Take care, mate. I'm sure the support you offered was very much appreciated. I'm so sorry for the guy's loss and for their poor children.  :'(

Thanks SoS, you're a bloody diamond pal, you really are.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #7432 on: October 22, 2021, 09:35:12 am »
I am sorry for the loss. He came up to you knowing he could could on you during this horrible horrible time. I got it from your reading how you feel that you have good intentions in your heart. And it was important for your mate to find that cathartic. And you did what you had to do. I feel genuinely sorry for the dad and the kids.

But it did make me think. The number of times we were rude to someone, or unruly to someone, or told someone off, or fought with them, or shouted at them, or cussed them, or ignored them, or whatever it is that we did. What would we be thinking if that was the last ever reaction that we would ever have with that person? How would we even forgive ourself if it was someone we know or close to us?

It does put somethings into perspective. But as Son of Spion says, that's the ephemeral nature of life. One second you are full of it. Next second, you are gone.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7433 on: October 22, 2021, 09:54:50 am »
I am sorry for the loss. He came up to you knowing he could could on you during this horrible horrible time. I got it from your reading how you feel that you have good intentions in your heart. And it was important for your mate to find that cathartic. And you did what you had to do. I feel genuinely sorry for the dad and the kids.

But it did make me think. The number of times we were rude to someone, or unruly to someone, or told someone off, or fought with them, or shouted at them, or cussed them, or ignored them, or whatever it is that we did. What would we be thinking if that was the last ever reaction that we would ever have with that person? How would we even forgive ourself if it was someone we know or close to us?

It does put somethings into perspective. But as Son of Spion says, that's the ephemeral nature of life. One second you are full of it. Next second, you are gone.

100% agree with you, I've gone through life trying my hardest never going to bed or out to work with an argument unsettled (mostly with my mum or a girlfriend at the time), because it was in the back of my head 'what if something happens, how could you live with yourself'.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7434 on: October 22, 2021, 10:24:39 am »
My depression and anxiety seems to have subsided.    No booze or smoking seems to have helped

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7435 on: October 27, 2021, 11:38:23 pm »

Some really harrowing stories shared on this thread, I’ve not been having a great time of things myself but if anyone wants to chat feel free to dm me, I’ll be there

Offline Giz a Gobble

• Scouse Turkey that's hard to swallow.....
  • Main Stander
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 97.
« Reply #7436 on: November 13, 2021, 05:54:37 pm »
Taking the plunge and checking in here  :-\ :wave

Not having a great period of weeks at the moment. Has anyone tried St John's Wort, was tempted to give that a shot and see if it can get me through this "turbulence".... Tried kalms, doesn't seem to have done much.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #7437 on: November 14, 2021, 10:33:36 pm »

Not having a great period of weeks at the moment. Has anyone tried St John's Wort, was tempted to give that a shot and see if it can get me through this "turbulence".... Tried kalms, doesn't seem to have done much.

You need to check what the side effects of St Johns Wort are before going ahead with them;

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/drugs-and-treatments/st-johns-wort/side-effects-and-withdrawal/

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7438 on: November 14, 2021, 10:52:04 pm »

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time at the moment.

I also used Kalms many years ago when I was trying to cope with the nerves of learning to drive. I never tried SJW though, so can't really comment there.

I agree with Howard regarding checking out the potential side effects and issues around taking it alongside other medications. It sounds like you aren't on any prescribed antidepressant meds, but it's worth saying here that taking SJW alongside antidepressants can cause serotonin syndrome, so is not encouraged.

I hope you get through your current issues. All the best to you.

Online kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7439 on: November 14, 2021, 11:25:03 pm »

Never tried SJW mate, so couldn't tell you much there.

I don't know if you've tried these things, but they all helped me massively.

Sleep... getting 7-8 hours undisturbed sleep every night is hugely helpful.

Food... avoid/cut down processed foods. Healthy, whole foods are the way to go. Tumeric, salmon, whole almonds are great.
Any foods that help reduce inflammation (veg, fruits, whole grains, nuts fish etc). A bowl of porridge works great for me every morning.

Exercise... getting out for a 20 minute walk every day helps a lot. It took a bit of discipline for me at first this, but now I never miss it and always enjoy it, whatever the weather.

Vitamins/minerals... vitamin D3 is said to be good, especially when we don't get much sunlight in the winter. Vitamin B12 is good for mood regulation. Magnesium is great for anxiety and helps you relax in the evening.