Author Topic: New York... have you been?  (Read 233847 times)

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: New York... have you been?
« Reply #1960 on: January 14, 2022, 06:29:55 pm »
We eloped and got married in NY - I proposed on top of the Rockefeller building and we went and bought a ring and wedding gear the next day. Married a couple of days later in the Shakespeare Garden in Central Park, just us, the officiant and a photographer.

On the day, we were wondering about in our wedding clothes. We ate in Ellen's Stardust Diner. As we left, we got a round of applause from everyone in the restaurant, haha.

did you propose while skiing over New York though  ;D

Offline Big Swifty

• Main Stander
« Reply #1961 on: January 14, 2022, 06:45:57 pm »
did you propose while skiing over New York though  ;D

Maybe I'm just tired after a long day, but whether that's a reference or a general joke I don't get it, sorry!

Offline Lfc19ynwa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1962 on: January 14, 2022, 07:00:15 pm »
Maybe I'm just tired after a long day, but whether that's a reference or a general joke I don't get it, sorry!

Read the small things that really Hannoy thread , that will clear it up for you

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #1963 on: January 17, 2022, 11:38:25 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-iGfCYRKdVQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-iGfCYRKdVQ</a>
Kill the humourless

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1964 on: April 11, 2022, 12:18:42 am »
Are there any RAWKites in NY and if so, do you usually head anywhere to watch the matches? Going to be there for the Spurs, Villa and Southampton games and wouldn't mind hanging with some like minded people in a bar somewhere.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1965 on: April 11, 2022, 10:26:21 am »
Are there any RAWKites in NY and if so, do you usually head anywhere to watch the matches? Going to be there for the Spurs, Villa and Southampton games and wouldn't mind hanging with some like minded people in a bar somewhere.

Manhatten has loads of bars that you can watch the game in.

Carraghers is a decent shout - good staff and a great atmopshere

https://www.carraghersnyc.com/
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1966 on: April 11, 2022, 04:31:21 pm »
11st bar in East Village, I suggest if you go there, go very early, even Daniel Craig got turned away a few years ago.

https://11thstbar.com/

11th St. Bar is the long-standing Official home of the New York Liverpool Supporters Club. Although LFCNY has expanded their reach with new bars, membership is still handled exclusively at the 11th St. Bar (on match days only).

The bar typically opens one hour before each game. Please check our events page for exact times. We do not accept reservations. It is first come first serve until we hit our capacity of 125.

Anyone can come to the bar, but if you are under 21, you must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. For big games, we would always recommend getting to the bar as early as possible to gain entry. We can’t tell you exactly how early to get here as it varies every game.

11th St. Bar itself is becoming quite famous in Liverpool and is on the list of tourist attractions for visiting fans. On game days the fans tend to be exclusively Liverpool fans, though opposing fans are also very welcome. Game days are well worth the visit, especially the big games with all the singing, chanting, and excitement associated with the great tradition of Liverpool Football Club.

You’ll Never Walk Alone at 11th St. Bar!
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1967 on: April 11, 2022, 11:31:00 pm »
Cheers, wanted to alternate during the trip! Got most of the stuff lined up, only regret is I can't make AEW live. Didn't realise it was nearly two hours from Long Island to Brooklyn and didn't fancy navigating that after 11 on my own in a strange city.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #1968 on: April 12, 2022, 12:24:48 am »
The only game I saw in New York was at a "sports bar" in the upper east side in 2016. A truly bizarre experience comparing to the hundreds of games I've watched in bars in Europe. It's early in the afternoon for a start. We had visited the Met and needed something close by. This bar was not a franchise but it sure looked like one; no soul whatsoever. I suppose some of that is up to general American aesthetics. There were two middle aged men sitting at the bar talking about golf. I was the only one watching the game. Origi scored away at Dortmund in the Europa. They reacted somewhat when I shouted but swiftly went back to talking about buying things, plastics, and golf.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1969 on: April 13, 2022, 03:22:08 pm »
If you want to have a decent pint and watch a match in comfort, find any Irish pub in Mahattan.
Kill the humourless

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1970 on: June 4, 2022, 09:20:15 pm »
Got back from a few days there. The first 2 days was a family celebration, the last two taking the girls around Manhattan. The Empire State Building tour is much improved, my head for heights is not sadly.

Due to the pound being worth nothing (thanks Johnson you utter ****) it’s expensive now.
Justice for the 96!

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1971 on: June 4, 2022, 09:47:55 pm »
Will be in Southern California for summer but will be in NYC in July staying for 5 nights, going to the Anjunadeep Weekender open air event in Brooklyn, we'll be staying in Manhattan, I deffo want to check out the Vanderbilt Tower glass deck city view.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1972 on: December 20, 2022, 10:01:47 am »
I'm looking to book for April. I've been once before for my 21st but that was a surprise so I didn't book it myself so I'm just looking for some advice on the best way to go about booking, package deals etc? If anyone would be so kind to point me in the right direction :)

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1973 on: March 25, 2023, 09:41:46 pm »
Going back in November. Booked today. This time, a strict no chain restaurant rule.

When do fixtures for basketball, football and hockey games normally become available? Been to see the Rangers before but would love to see the Giants. Jets, not so much.

Offline ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1974 on: March 25, 2023, 10:21:56 pm »
Going back in November. Booked today. This time, a strict no chain restaurant rule.

When do fixtures for basketball, football and hockey games normally become available? Been to see the Rangers before but would love to see the Giants. Jets, not so much.

Good rule, out of interest, which chains did you eat at last time?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1975 on: March 25, 2023, 11:07:17 pm »
I've been a few times, family wanted to go to Olive Garden and Applebee's. Absolutely shite. But they keep wanting to go back. Boils my piss.

And that Starlight Diner place can fuck off as well this time.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 11:09:24 pm by Musketeer Gripweed »

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #1976 on: March 27, 2023, 01:33:07 pm »
Olive Garden is the stinkiest nasty chain of them all . Can smell parmesan in the car park!

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #1977 on: March 27, 2023, 02:31:59 pm »
If your in Lower Manhattan you need to try O'Hara's Pub on Cedar Street near to the WTC memorial. Belter of a pint of Guinness, good food, shows Premier League and Champions League games and a really nice vibe inside.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #1978 on: March 27, 2023, 02:38:37 pm »

NFL release date is early May.

I went to Jets v Eagles in 2015. Was quite easy to get a ticket and wasn't a sell out either. It was a Sunday afternoon game.

Decent transport to MetLife too. Penn Station to Jersey and then direct train to the stadium as it is in the middle of nowhere!
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1979 on: March 27, 2023, 02:52:02 pm »

The Jets will be the team to watch in New York this year. Demand for Jets tickets is supposedly through the roof since Aaron Rodgers said he will be joining them.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1980 on: March 27, 2023, 08:42:25 pm »
Some good advice there, thanks. It looks like the city is vastly different from the last time I was there in 2019, well, shopping and eating wise anyway. Good restaurant prices seem to have gone through the roof and lots of decent shops have been replaced by dollar shops. I shouldn't be surprised, I guess. Been there and done that and I really need to take in the museums this time as I have never got round to it. I will need to visit my niece in Bloomfield one of the days though.

As for going to a Jets match, it would be like me coming to Liverpool on holiday and wanting to go to Goodison for a match, last resort if I can't do anything else. Rodgers is good though, hope the rest of them stink the place out next season.

Pink is seemingly playing MSG when we are there, but the tickets are $300 a pop I've been told. Fucking really?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1981 on: March 27, 2023, 11:16:03 pm »
I'm looking to book for April. I've been once before for my 21st but that was a surprise so I didn't book it myself so I'm just looking for some advice on the best way to go about booking, package deals etc? If anyone would be so kind to point me in the right direction :)
My lad has gone today via Dublin, apparently it saves a few quid rather than going directly. Adds a few hours on the trip though.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1982 on: March 27, 2023, 11:50:41 pm »
My lad has gone today via Dublin, apparently it saves a few quid rather than going directly. Adds a few hours on the trip though.

The good thing about flying from Dublin to the US is you go through pre-clearance in Dublin. So when you land in New York you just pick up your bags and go instead of having to queue for a few hours to go through customs and immigration.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1983 on: March 28, 2023, 08:12:34 am »
The good thing about flying from Dublin to the US is you go through pre-clearance in Dublin. So when you land in New York you just pick up your bags and go instead of having to queue for a few hours to go through customs and immigration.

For real? Didn’t actually know that. Might have to look at some flights!

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1984 on: March 28, 2023, 11:40:15 am »
My old boss used to do exactly that, and we worked out that the door to door time was actually quicker for him than for me flying direct.  Partly because he was able to fly from City airport instead of Heathrow through.

Offline ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1985 on: March 28, 2023, 03:37:18 pm »
Some good advice there, thanks. It looks like the city is vastly different from the last time I was there in 2019, well, shopping and eating wise anyway. Good restaurant prices seem to have gone through the roof and lots of decent shops have been replaced by dollar shops. I shouldn't be surprised, I guess. Been there and done that and I really need to take in the museums this time as I have never got round to it. I will need to visit my niece in Bloomfield one of the days though.

As for going to a Jets match, it would be like me coming to Liverpool on holiday and wanting to go to Goodison for a match, last resort if I can't do anything else. Rodgers is good though, hope the rest of them stink the place out next season.

Pink is seemingly playing MSG when we are there, but the tickets are $300 a pop I've been told. Fucking really?

This place opened up in 2021, which is neat to spend a couple of hours https://littleisland.org/ . It's off the high line path too, so if you haven't done that, it's a fun, free thing to do if the weather is playing nice. I think you mentioned November, which should be nicely mild to be out and about.

DUMBO is good too across the Brooklyn Bridge, and they have a good food court that overlooks the Manhattan skyline.

Restaurants are crazy expensive. I know you said no chains, but if you havent had it, Shake Shack is a good option for a quick fast food option if you don't want to sit down at a place.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1986 on: March 28, 2023, 05:01:03 pm »
Yep, he said it was very convenient that way.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1987 on: April 1, 2023, 09:18:38 pm »
This place opened up in 2021, which is neat to spend a couple of hours https://littleisland.org/ . It's off the high line path too, so if you haven't done that, it's a fun, free thing to do if the weather is playing nice. I think you mentioned November, which should be nicely mild to be out and about.

DUMBO is good too across the Brooklyn Bridge, and they have a good food court that overlooks the Manhattan skyline.

Restaurants are crazy expensive. I know you said no chains, but if you havent had it, Shake Shack is a good option for a quick fast food option if you don't want to sit down at a place.

I love DUMBO. My phone screen photo is the Manhattan Bridge with the Empire State Building in the background.  Best photo I ever took. The vibe in that area was so chilled out. Need to go there again, cheers.

The High Line is a must do for me this time, keep putting it of.

A good place to go is the aircraft museum place on the Hudson. I could have spent a full day there. Concorde looks so small. So does the space shuttle. The thing is enormous.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1988 on: April 2, 2023, 03:25:00 pm »
There are loads of cheap hotels in Sunset Park Brooklyn.  Midweek under $125 per night, Convenient via N & D trains at 36th st.

1 stop from Barclays Center, 3 stops to Union Sq. 5 to W4th.

Fab cheap restaurants: Latino of all types on 5th Avenue, Asian on 8th.

Prospect Park, Bush State Park, Sunset Park, access to incredible harbor touring ferry to NYC or Rockaway Beach $2.75. 

Kill the humourless

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #1989 on: April 12, 2023, 11:43:14 pm »

Someone told me that recently as well. Sounds totally like the way to do it. While you are waiting around for the plane and are wide awake you can clear US customs in Dublin. Makes so much sense if you need at least one connection anyway. I’m going to look into it next time.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1990 on: June 1, 2023, 09:17:54 pm »
https://www.amny.com/news/rosie-ogradys-the-famed-midtown-pub-and-steakhouse-to-close-july-1/

That's a bit annoying. Really liked it there and was only looking it up the other day to make sure it was still around.

Offline Carllfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1991 on: June 6, 2023, 08:40:32 pm »
Does anyone know how easy it is to get an Uber back from the tennis after a day or evening session? Looking to get it after tennis in September back to hotel in Jamaica. Thanks

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1992 on: June 7, 2023, 01:43:39 pm »
Levon Helm:

"New York, it was an adult portion. It was an adult dose. So it took a couple of trips to get into it. You just go in the first time and you get your ass kicked and you take off. As soon as it heals up, you come back and you try it again. Eventually, you fall right in love with it."
Kill the humourless

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1993 on: June 8, 2023, 05:58:44 am »
Levon Helm:

"New York, it was an adult portion. It was an adult dose. So it took a couple of trips to get into it. You just go in the first time and you get your ass kicked and you take off. As soon as it heals up, you come back and you try it again. Eventually, you fall right in love with it."
Brilliant quote.

My first time i went was at 17 in September for a work experience thing for 2 weeks , just remember the humidity and with having Asthma it was horrible, I went in December for Xmas shopping around mid 00's when the dollar was like $1.90 to the Pound thanks to Dubya's wars and shit handling of the Economy, went for 3 nights and was brilliant.

Met a girl in London from Forest Hills, she worked for a Duetschbank and ended up dating for 5 years, used to go in summers for like 5-6 weeks and was a blast every time.

Had my first born with her, Daughter was born in London grew up a Brooklynite for a few years and now they live in Hoboken now, absolutely dig her accent. :D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1994 on: August 23, 2023, 11:25:37 am »
Just checking the ticket prices for basketball and ice hockey games for when I am going. Rangers - $106.00 Knicks - $116.00 (obviously MSG is going to be more expensive for both those options), Nets - $60 and New Jersey Devils - $56.00.

I think the last time we were there the beer was $18 a pop at MSG as well. Brooklyn or Newark it is then.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1995 on: August 23, 2023, 01:18:21 pm »
Just checking the ticket prices for basketball and ice hockey games for when I am going. Rangers - $106.00 Knicks - $116.00 (obviously MSG is going to be more expensive for both those options), Nets - $60 and New Jersey Devils - $56.00.

I think the last time we were there the beer was $18 a pop at MSG as well. Brooklyn or Newark it is then.

Have you seen basketball salaries????????
Kill the humourless

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #1996 on: August 24, 2023, 09:04:23 am »

When are you going?

We got tickets to see the Knicks at MSG in 2021, bought them a month before the game on SeatGeek and $85 for 2 - that included all the fees too. Think the tickets themselves were $27 each.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1997 on: August 24, 2023, 11:35:07 am »
If you are flying back to London then it's always oversubscribed.

A couple of times we've said we're happy to be bumped, spent another couple of hours in the first class lounge in JFK and then got upgraded to business class coming back.

Worth having a think about if you don't need to get back at a specific time (We could do it as there was a 3 hour wait for the flight back to Manc)

Also - if you are on a BA flight for instance and you allowed yourself to be bumped, they'll arrange a different internal flight back from London

Can happen to Manc, but London tends to be more overbooked.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 01:10:35 pm by Andy @ Allerton! »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1998 on: August 24, 2023, 12:20:03 pm »
When are you going?

We got tickets to see the Knicks at MSG in 2021, bought them a month before the game on SeatGeek and $85 for 2 - that included all the fees too. Think the tickets themselves were $27 each.

Going in November this time. Went to see the Rangers in 2019 and the prices were about the same, but was told I was daft getting the tickets as early as I did and should have waited until I got to the city. Will probably do the same this time. If I can't get anything, I'll just do a Broadway show or something. I'll check out SeatGeek though, thanks for that.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #1999 on: August 24, 2023, 12:38:34 pm »
Going in November this time. Went to see the Rangers in 2019 and the prices were about the same, but was told I was daft getting the tickets as early as I did and should have waited until I got to the city. Will probably do the same this time. If I can't get anything, I'll just do a Broadway show or something. I'll check out SeatGeek though, thanks for that.

I think it's definitely worth waiting then, if you aren't absolutely set on going to a particular game/see a certain team - will almost certainly be brilliant availability nearer the time if it's not an important game. I remember that from 2021.