Author Topic: * Inquests 2015/16 - News Only Updates *  (Read 132289 times)

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
Re: * Inquests 2015/16 - News Only Updates *
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2016, 02:05:52 pm »
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2016, 02:33:00 pm »
Hillsborough inquests end, criminal investigation to conclude

Now the Hillsborough inquests have concluded, the police watchdog said it was focusing on the criminal investigation into the disaster.

Rachel Cerfontyne, deputy chair of the Independent Police Complaints Commissioner said: “Now the inquests have ended our role in providing documents and other material to support the Coroner is over.

"However the end of the inquests does not mark the end of the process.Our attention now focuses on concluding our criminal investigation into the aftermath of the disaster."
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2016, 02:44:22 pm »
John Ashton, so eloquent and so succinct:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ouzMwv-pE_E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ouzMwv-pE_E</a>

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2016, 03:53:25 pm »

Offline Phil_88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2016, 04:35:32 pm »
Following the return of the jury's determinations at the Hillsborough inquests today, Liverpool FC's chief executive officer Ian Ayre has released this statement.

“After 27 long years the true verdict has finally been delivered, confirming what the families always believed – their loved ones were unlawfully killed.

“Liverpool Football Club welcomes the jury’s decision, once and for all, that our supporters were not in any way responsible for what happened at Hillsborough. We will always remember the selfless bravery and heroism of the many fans that helped their fellow supporters in the most harrowing of circumstances that day. We praise those who, since the beginning of the inquest, have had to find the courage and strength to re-live what they went through.

“Since April 15, 1989, the solidarity shown by Liverpool fans towards the families and survivors encapsulates the unique character of both the club and city. We are also hugely thankful for the unwavering support the wider football community has so generously shown these past 27 years.

“It has been a painful journey for the families and survivors, who have endured and sacrificed so much for so long. The resilience and dignity they have shown throughout their tireless campaign has been humbling and inspirational. Their conduct and actions throughout their struggle has brought pride to the city of Liverpool and will serve as a lasting tribute to the victims.

“The 96 men, women and children who were unlawfully killed at Hillsborough will never be forgotten.”

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/218435-ian-ayre-statement-on-hillsborough-inquests

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2016, 06:06:39 pm »
I don' think I have an adequate vocabulary to describe how harrowing this piece is:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/26/football/margaret-aspinall-hillsborough-liverpool-football/index.html

What a woman. There are a number of lines in the interview that broke me.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2016, 05:21:22 pm »
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-36154201

South Yorkshire Police chief suspended over Hillsborough

South Yorkshire Police's chief constable David Crompton has been suspended in the wake of the Hillsborough inquest findings.

He admitted the policing of the match was "catastrophically wrong" and "unequivocally" accepted the findings.

Jurors concluded the 96 victims of the 1989 disaster were unlawfully killed and there were police failings.

Shadow Home Secretary Andy Burnham said "those responsible must be held to account" over the "27-year cover up".

'Heavy heart'

The force's Police and Crime Commissioner Dr Alan Billings said he had no choice but to act "based on the erosion of public trust and confidence".

He said: "I have been left with no choice other than to suspend David from his duties as chief constable of South Yorkshire police.

"I have reached this decision with a heavy heart following discussions with David."

Mr Crompton was due to retire in November.

Tributes are being left at Hillsborough stadium following the conclusion of the inquests

In 2012, Mr Crompton admitted "grave errors" were made during the Hillsborough disaster and has apologised "profoundly".

Hours before the BBC learned of his suspension, the force issued a statement which said the coroner, Sir John Goldring "ruled that to admit the previous 2012 apology by the Chief Constable into proceedings would be 'wrong' and 'highly prejudicial'."

He issued a further apology after the inquests conclusions were heard on Tuesday.

(please delete or move if I've put this in the wrong place)

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2016, 07:07:14 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36156906
Retired police officers who served in South Yorkshire in the 1980s have been told to be proud of their work, despite the Hillsborough inquests' verdict.

A message on a website for the force's retired officers said they had served dedicated and courageous careers.

The force's current chief constable was suspended on Wednesday because of the approach the force took to the inquest.

A statement by the retired officers said they were "proud" 200 of them had co-operated with the proceedings.
'Bile and hatred'

After hearing more than two years of evidence, jurors concluded the 96 victims of the disaster were unlawfully killed and there were police failings.

They found Liverpool fans were not to blame for what happened.

The message on the website of the South Yorkshire branch of the National Association of Retired Police Officers (Narpo) was made public by accident.

In the message, South Yorkshire Narpo secretary Rick Naylor said former officers had "great sympathy" for the families and friends of the victims killed.

"Mistakes were made and we would all like to turn the clock back," he wrote.

But despite criticism of the force in the wake of the jury's conclusions, his message pointed out "there were many examples of outstanding actions and selflessness by police officers on that tragic day as they did their best to deal with the disaster unfolding before them".

Mr Naylor said in his message that the group had tried to remain dignified while "bile and hatred" was directed towards the force.

He said South Yorkshire Police had faced "immense challenges" in the 1980s, including Hillsborough and the Miners' Dispute.

"Along the way we caught the Yorkshire Ripper!" he wrote.

"You will be feeling sore, angry and disheartened, but you did a good job - we all did," he added.

The comments were later removed from the website and Mr Naylor said they had not been intended for public consumption and were not designed to offend.

He was a co-signatory on a later press statement by the group, which said that many of the force's former officers - some of them elderly and in failing health - had voluntarily travelled to Warrington to give evidence at the inquests.

Many of them had also made statements to the Independent Police Complaints Commission and Operation Resolve, a criminal investigation into the disaster, the statement added.

"This was completely voluntary as there was no legal obligation to submit themselves for interview."
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:53:19 am by One of those »

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2016, 10:41:36 am »
"colleagues caught up"

I think that's a particularly interesting way of putting it.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2016, 10:52:26 am »
"tried to remain dignified..."

I don't think you did.
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2016, 10:55:35 am »
"You will be feeling sore, angry, disheartened"

They have no shame
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2016, 12:28:07 pm »
http://www.saunders.co.uk/our-work/hillsborough/

UPDATED 28 April 2016 – Our work for the Hillsborough Family Support Group

We have been acting for many of the Hillsborough families for some years and welcome the inquest jury findings that the 96 were unlawfully killed by South Yorkshire Police, and that neither the 96 nor the fans were in any way to blame. The stark truth about how the 96 died has at last been officially recognised and the families’ long campaign is vindicated. After truth, the families now seek Justice, and look to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) and Operation Resolve to work with the Crown Prosecution Service in bringing merited criminal charges relating to the unlawful killings.

In addition to the police wrongdoing that caused the deaths, there is evidence of the systematic cover up intended to transfer the blame for what happened from South Yorkshire Police to the innocent, by spreading lies, doctoring evidence, pressurising witnesses and suppressing the truth. The evidence points to abuse on an industrial scale by both South Yorkshire and West Midlands Police, beyond any “one bad apple” analysis. In addition to actions by individuals, the evidence suggests institutional misfeasance by these bodies directed against our clients and the fans generally.

Our clients believe that Justice will only be established through accountability. Accordingly we issued High Court Claims for Misfeasance in Public Office against South Yorkshire and West Midlands Police in 2015 on behalf of several hundred of those affected. The claims concern the cover up and actions intended to wrongly blame the deceased and Liverpool Football Club supporters for the tragedy, for which there has still been no proper admission or apology. Despite a half hearted admission after publication of the Hillsborough Independent Report, we now learn South Yorkshire Police spent an estimated £19m of tax payers’ money on defending the indefensible at the inquest.

Misfeasance in Public Office is a cause of action in the civil courts of England and Wales. It is an action against the holder of a public office, alleging that the office-holder has misused or abused their power. A police force is vicariously liable for the Misfeasance of its officers.

We hope to meet the IPCC and Operation Resolve in the near future. They have been investigating allegations against individual officers, and so have material relevant to the misfeasance action. Our clients also wish to ensure that the right of any suspects to a fair criminal trial is not diminished by the misfeasance action.

After issuing the claims last year we secured a Contempt of Court Act order from a High Court Judge preventing publication of any information about the claims until the inquest ended, to avoid any risk of prejudice to the inquest. The claims were also stayed until the inquest verdicts were given, which was on 26th April 2016, and we now propose to move the claims forward to secure accountability.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2016, 01:13:19 pm »
"Along the way we caught the Yorkshire Ripper!" - 1,400 people in Rotheram will sleep better remembering that little victory.....

(and this is the thing that annoys me about the pathetic reactions out there from apologist - yes, there are undoubtedly some 'good eggs' amongst SYP's ranks and no, not *every* officer played a part in the cover-up of Hillsborough - HOWEVER, SYP's rap sheet extends way beyond Hillsborough in 1989 - it probably doesn't even start with Orgreave but the point is made that is goes at least from there and all the way up to, well, the Coroner's summing up, with their repeated submissions and attempts to dilute the effect of what was inevitable coming to them. Fuck 'em.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 01:15:52 pm by 24/7 »

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2016, 01:33:14 pm »
"Along the way we caught the Yorkshire Ripper!" - 1,400 people in Rotheram will sleep better remembering that little victory.....

(and this is the thing that annoys me about the pathetic reactions out there from apologist - yes, there are undoubtedly some 'good eggs' amongst SYP's ranks and no, not *every* officer played a part in the cover-up of Hillsborough - HOWEVER, SYP's rap sheet extends way beyond Hillsborough in 1989 - it probably doesn't even start with Orgreave but the point is made that is goes at least from there and all the way up to, well, the Coroner's summing up, with their repeated submissions and attempts to dilute the effect of what was inevitable coming to them. Fuck 'em.)

There was an example even I would struggled to have believe - but my grandparents (both originally quite reactionary, my grandad remained an unreconstructed Thatcherite even so) both witnessed it. Visiting their son (my uncle) - who happened to be a striking miner - back in my (and Kevin Keegan's) birthplace of Armthorpe, the 'village' was invaded by a hundred or so police, who smashed in doors, arrested or gave a bit of a beating to tens of supposed strike ringleaders and verbally abused women and children.

There remains little documentation of it, of course, because it didn't fit a narrative.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2016, 01:47:27 pm »
The policing of Hillsborough was in no way an "immense challenge."

It was a fairly routine policing operation, similar to those that had taken place many times before, including at that very ground.

The only "challenge" that these contemptible, morally bankrupt, incompetent, cowardly, lying twats did actually face, was the organisation of the huge cover-up and smear campaign that followed.

I know that some individual officers behaved well on the day, and I applaud those who have since given truthful versions of the events they witnessed, but you can almost count these on one hand. The vast majority of current and former SYP officers involved in all aspects of Hillsborough have remained resolutely shtum [apart, of course, from those that stuck to their vile fabrications at the inquests too]. They are cowards, one and all.

Same in respect of Orgreave.

That's why I don't buy the "lets not tarnish all bobbies" argument. The police generally, and SYP and West Midlands in particular, look after number one first, last, and forever when things go tits up. The message on the SYP website yesterday, and this latest grubby little missive, show that Mr Mansfield is absolutely correct; All you have to do is scratch the surface to see that they are not sorry, and they haven't changed.

I sincerely hope that every one of the c*nts guilty of any wrongdoing is brought to book, and I hope that many sleepless nights follow in the meantime. One thing that makes me smile, is the sure knowledge that bullies like SYP are exactly the kind of people who turn out to be the worst kind of shithouse when you face them down, like the families did. They'll be shitting their collective pants now, make no mistake.

Tick, tock, gobshites.

Hopefully, very soon, you might actually get to know what "a bad day" really is.

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #142 on: May 7, 2016, 01:05:04 pm »
See ya.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/discredited-hillsborough-coroner-stefan-popper-11246522

I wish Poppers widow would have just kept her mouth shut rather than defend him with ignorant sick insulting remarks. the shame is too much to bear for some people so they prefer to ignore the facts and throw mud.
 2 yrs of overwhelming evidence and that's the best she can come up with, sick

An obituary for a Vincent Hale appeared in the Sheffield Star in Nov 2014, he died roughly a month after Roger Marshall gave evidence at the new inquest in Warrington.
Marshalls legal representation at the first inquest was Vincent Hale. many of his  smears and accusations to blame the fans and the victims were brought up at the inquest, to describe these tactics and actions to defend Marshall from possible prosecution as vile is an understatement.
Marshall tried to disassociate himself from these threats and smears at the new inquest. he was not very successful.

http://announce.jpress.co.uk/thestarcouk/obituary/vincent-hale/39636076

http://www.west-bar-italians.co.uk/#/vincent-hale/4532707239
« Last Edit: May 7, 2016, 05:46:53 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2016, 02:39:22 pm »
Hillsborough disaster: why the FA still has serious questions to answer

Trevor Hicks, who told the inquests he lost ‘everything, the present, the future and any purpose’ at Hillsborough, wants the FA to accept responsibility over its choice of ground and safety issues

Kenny Dalglish, the Liverpool manager, and the FA chief executive Graham Kelly watch the tragedy unfold at Hillsborough in 1989. Photograph: Bob Thomas/Getty Images

Two weeks since the jury at the inquests into the deaths of 96 people at Hillsborough in 1989 determined they were unlawfully killed, the South Yorkshire police, which was principally responsible, has taken the torrent of blame. Bereaved families’ fury at the police’s stance at the inquests, alleging again that Liverpool supporters misbehaved despite the force having made a full apology in 2012, produced the removal of the chief constable, David Crompton.

Yet sitting through two long years at the inquests, it was also jarring to recall the Football Association, which selected Sheffield Wednesday’s Hillsborough ground to host its FA Cup semi-final despite a history of safety problems, had made a “full and unreserved apology” in 2012. The FA’s then chairman, David Bernstein, following the damning report of the Hillsborough Independent Panel, said: “We are deeply sorry this tragedy occurred at a venue the FA selected. This fixture was played in the FA’s own competition, and on behalf of the Football Association I offer a full and unreserved apology and express sincere condolences to all of the families of those who lost their lives.”

Bernstein’s term as chairman ended in 2013. Neither he nor the FA ever explained exactly what, specifically, it was apologising for: whether English football’s governing body was taking responsibility itself, for selecting Hillsborough repeatedly as a venue throughout the 1980s despite its squalid Leppings Lane away terrace and the ominous warning signs.

Throughout the two-year adversarial trauma of the inquests, during which the bereaved families had to revisit the horrors and hear Liverpool supporters repeatedly accused again of misbehaviour, neither the FA’s barrister, Jonathan Laidlaw QC, nor any of the former FA officials who gave evidence, offered any such apology. Mostly, Laidlaw stayed in his seat on the fourth, back row of lawyers ranked in front of the coroner, Sir John Goldring, while Hillsborough’s architecture of squalid neglect and South Yorkshire police’s disastrous failings at the 1989 FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest, were laid bare.

When Laidlaw did intervene, the FA’s case appeared to be that in fact the governing body did nothing wrong, that it did ask clubs to certify safety legislation had been complied with, and that officials had no knowledge of the crush on the Leppings Lane terrace at the semi-final the year before the disaster.

Pete Weatherby QC, who represented 22 bereaved families, told the Guardian: “The families were left scratching their heads over the role of the FA, which selected Hillsborough despite the history of near misses and crush injuries at previous FA Cup ties there. What did David Bernstein give the families a ‘full and unreserved apology’ for in 2012? At the inquests, the FA’s lawyers sought to avoid any responsibility for the stadium selection or safety issues.”

The inquests heard evidence of problems at all three semi-finals the FA held at Hillsborough in the 1980s, before it selected the ground again in 1989. In 1981, there was a serious crush on the Leppings Lane terrace where catastrophe would descend eight years later: 38 Tottenham Hotspur supporters suffered injuries serious enough to be treated in hospital or by St John Ambulance, including broken arms, legs and ribs.

Hillsborough did not host a semi-final again for six years but its then head of competitions, Adrian Titcombe, giving evidence at the inquests, said that was not because the ground had a “black mark” owing to the 1981 crush but because there were no appropriate ties for it. After 1981, as the inquests heard, modifications were made to the Leppings Lane end, principally dividing the terrace into “pens” which made it more dangerous. As the jury determined in its devastating verdicts, key features of the terrace were “dangerous or defective”, including crush barriers not complying with the official safety Green Guide and there being only seven turnstiles to process 10,100 people.

The jury also determined the capacity figure had been incorrectly calculated originally then not updated after the “pens” were built and that the safety certificate had not been reissued by the local authority since 1986.

Yet the FA chose Hillsborough again in 1987 for the semi-final between Leeds United and Coventry City. The kick-off was delayed because the crowd could not access the ground on time, as happened in 1989 when the kick-off was not delayed. In 1988, the FA selected Hillsborough again, for the same tie as 1989, Kenny Dalglish’s Liverpool playing Brian Clough’s Nottingham Forest.

Liverpool supporters at the 1988 semi-final were trapped in a crush in the pens and one supporter, Harry Whittall, wrote to the FA complaining of “disgraceful overcrowding”, saying “at times it was impossible to breathe”. When Laidlaw rose to question Whittall, it was to say the FA could never find his letter. Laidlaw asked Whittall if his office might have written the wrong address on the envelope as they had misdirected a similar complaint to the sports minister.

Titcombe gave evidence on 17 July 2014. He said the FA was not responsible for safety; it was the responsibility of clubs themselves, local authorities which licensed the grounds and police.

“My understanding is we always steered clear of anything to do with safety,” he said.

Hosting semi-finals was prestigious and lucrative for the host club, which kept 10% of the income, Titcombe agreed, while the FA kept 25%, the competing clubs sharing the rest. He confirmed there was “lobbying” from club secretaries to have a semi-final at their ground.

Christina Lambert QC, for Goldring, asked Titcombe: “Was the quality of the hospitality – I don’t mean this to sound too flippant – a consideration in selection of the club to host a match?” He replied: “It was traditional that the host club put on a lunch for the two teams and FA dignitaries … it was part of almost the obligation. And there was a certain rivalry to make the occasion as convivial and the menus as attractive as possible.”

In the context of South Yorkshire police allegations about Liverpool supporters drinking before the match the jury determined no behaviour by supporters contributed to the disaster – Titcombe’s former FA colleague, Glen Kirton, confirmed alcohol was served at the lunch for FA and club dignitaries.

The relevant FA committee in 1989 spent “not more than 10 minutes” debating before deciding on Hillsborough again, the inquests heard. An internal FA note after the disaster said: “There were no complaints whatsoever about last year’s game with regard to supporters, police or MPs etc. There was some speculation in the press about dissatisfaction with the Leppings Lane end but the FA had not received anything.”

The inquests heard that Kevin Traynor, then 16, who died with his brother Christopher, 26, in the lethal crush on the Leppings Lane terrace in 1989, had reacted to the news of Hillsborough’s reselection by saying: “Oh no, not that stadium again.”

When Laidlaw rose to question Titcombe, he pointed to an FA rule in the 1980s, rule 3. It required clubs every season to fill in a form, certifying their grounds had been inspected in accordance with safety legislation and the appropriate licence obtained.

Titcombe said he never knew about that rule at the time, adding he was “frankly surprised”. He accepted from Laidlaw the rule was in place and that it was “a disciplinary offence not to fulfil that requirement”.

The Guardian has sent detailed questions to the FA about the stance it is adopting in the legal processes after the 2012 “full and unreserved apology”.Laidlaw responded on the FA’s behalf, saying he was restricted due to the criminal investigation into the disaster, Operation Resolve. Jon Stoddart, the former Durham police chief constable heading Operation Resolve, has confirmed the FA, along with Sheffield Wednesday, South Yorkshire police, Yorkshire ambulance service and other organisations and individuals, is subject to investigation.

Laidlaw said the FA’s position is as summed up by Goldring, that it did not have the expertise to be involved in practical matters of safety. The FA trusted the safety certificate procedure, Laidlaw said, and believes Sheffield Wednesday always complied with rule 3.

The Guardian asked the FA if it believed its safety approach in 1989 was adequate and whether its approach to the legal process and continuing investigation is that it did nothing wrong, and has instructed its lawyers to avoid any liability. The FA referred the questions to its lawyers. Its solicitors, Charles Russell Speechlys, repeated the FA’s position, that it relied on the clubs to comply with safety legislation but did have rule 3 with which it believed Sheffield Wednesday complied.

The solicitors did not answer questions about what, specifically, Bernstein apologised for in 2012, nor whether their instructions are to avoid any liability for the FA.

Trevor Hicks, who told the inquests he lost “everything, the present, the future and any purpose” when his teenage daughters, Sarah, 19, and Vicki, 15, were unlawfully killed at Hillsborough, said he wants the FA to accept responsibility.

“The FA has got off lightly,” he said. “They chose the ground. All these organisations have to take responsibility, admit they were wrong, say it publicly, explicitly, where it matters, not give a lily-livered apology on a website. We want them to say it and mean it.”

David Conn

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/10/hillsborough-disaster-fa-serious-questions-ground-safety?

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2016, 11:18:36 am »
Hillsborough: IPCC to investigate South Yorkshire Police 'spin' claims

Hayley Court worked as South Yorkshire Police's Hillsborough communications specialist

The police watchdog has launched an investigation after a former South Yorkshire Police press officer claimed she was asked to "spin" news during the Hillsborough inquests.
Hayley Court claimed she was asked to encourage the media to report evidence favourable to the police, including that fans were partly to blame.
She said she was told to "get the media together and tell them what to write".
The force has said Ms Court's claims were "not substantiated".

'Wholly unethical'

A spokesman for the Independent Police Complaints Commission said: "Following an assessment of the available evidence, the IPCC has decided to conduct an independent investigation into this matter."
Ms Court claimed she felt trapped when she realised she had been given an "impossible job" that was "wholly unethical".
"It seemed to me to be more about how we could share the blame," she said.
"If South Yorkshire Police was going to be found partly responsible for what happened then all the other interested parties should be found partly responsible as well.
"If that meant perpetuating comments about fans being drunk, if that meant perpetuating comments about fans forcing gates then that was how they were going to do it."

Ninety-six football fans died in the 1989 disaster, which unfolded during an FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.
A jury at the inquests concluded the fans had been unlawfully killed.
They also criticised SYP's planning for the match, and highlighted a catalogue of failures by senior officers on the day.
The stadium was also said to have contained "defects" that contributed to the disaster, and Sheffield Wednesday FC and South Yorkshire Metropolitan Ambulance Service were criticised.
The supporters were exonerated of any blame.
SYP's chief constable David Crompton was suspended the day after the inquests concluded because there had been an "erosion of trust".
Meanwhile, the 96 victims of the disaster are to be awarded the Freedom of Liverpool.
Other key figures in the 27-year campaign to receive the city's highest civic honour are former Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish and his wife Marina; the former Bishop of Liverpool, the Rt Rev James Jones and Prof Phil Scraton from the Hilllsborough Independent Panel.
The victims' families were awarded freedom of the city of Liverpool in 2009.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-36282471

Offline BrianL

• Anny Roader
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2016, 09:23:49 pm »
Hi, I'd like to contact a mod, are any online?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2016, 09:24:53 pm »

Try "John C" mate, he's online.

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2016, 09:31:48 pm »
hi, online for the next few minutes :wave

Offline BrianL

• Anny Roader
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2016, 09:32:04 pm »
Cheers Chakan

Offline BrianL

• Anny Roader
« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2016, 09:38:28 pm »
hi, online for the next few minutes :wave
hi Michael, I thought I just sent a PM to John C but it's not in my 'sent items'.
I wanted to post this on behalf of some of us on RAOTL who are having a whip round for Gerry and some of the other volunteers at HJC:

Can you help me raise £2000 to To send the hardworking volunteers from the HJC on a well deserved break. . Please donate to my JustGiving Crowdfunding Page: https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/Saying-thanks-HJC?utm_id=92&utm_term=z5y9wqrEW

Where is the best place for it?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2016, 10:06:04 pm »
Just made a small donation, thoroughly deserved.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2016, 09:12:33 pm »
hi Michael, I thought I just sent a PM to John C but it's not in my 'sent items'.
I wanted to post this on behalf of some of us on RAOTL who are having a whip round for Gerry and some of the other volunteers at HJC:

Can you help me raise £2000 to To send the hardworking volunteers from the HJC on a well deserved break. . Please donate to my JustGiving Crowdfunding Page: https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/Saying-thanks-HJC?utm_id=92&utm_term=z5y9wqrEW

Where is the best place for it?

Done
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: May 23, 2016, 12:07:47 pm »
Hillsborough campaigners want top prosecutor barred from Norman Bettison investigation

The Crown Prosecution Service is under pressure to replace the prosecutor involved in the investigation – because she knows the former chief inspector.

Former South Yorkshire Police Chief Inspector and former Chief Constable of Merseyside Police, Norman Bettison

Hillsborough campaigners want a top prosecutor barred from ruling on the ex-police chief accused over a plot to blame fans for the tragedy.

Retired chief constable Norman Bettison – a chief inspector in South Yorkshire at the time of the disaster – is being investigated over allegations he was involved in the force’s strategy to deflect blame away from the police onto Liverpool supporters.

Files on Mr Bettison are expected to be sent to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) later this year, reported the ECHO's sister paper, The Sunday Mirror.

But the CPS is under pressure to replace the prosecutor making charging decisions on the horrific events at Sheffield – because she knows him.

Sue Hemming recently took over as chief decision-maker on Hillsborough from CPS chief executive Peter Lewis, who retired in March.

Her role will include deciding whether Mr Bettison should face charges over allegations made during the Hillsborough inquest that he was part of a team tasked with shifting blame onto fans.

Hemming and Mr Bettison have both been active in UK anti-terror policing strategy.

They have spoken at the same event and both contributed to a counter-terrorism book. Steve Kelly, whose brother Michael, 38, died in the tragedy, said: “If there’s been previous contact between them then she shouldn’t been making decisions on him.”

He said former officers with any link to South Yorkshire Police have been barred from involvement in the criminal investigation, adding: “This should be the same.”

Survivor Richard Greaves, 51, who gave evidence at the new inquests, said: “It’s important that all the people that were at fault are nailed for what they did. Any potential conflict of interest has to be taken out of it before the off.”

Liverpool MP Steve Rotheram said those involved in investigations must have “the confidence of the families to carry out their duties unhindered by previous working or personal relationships.”

He warned: “For the avoidance of doubt, any potential conflict of interest must be disclosed and that person should be recused of involvement.”

He Hemming has headed the CPS counter-terrorism unit for a decade and was “actively involved” in training prosecutors and police.

At the same time, West Yorkshire chief constable Mr Bettison was a key member of the police service response to tackling terrorism.

Both of them spoke at a counter-terrorism event at London’s City Hall seven or eight years ago.

An inquest jury decided last month that the 96 fans who died in the 1989 tragedy had been unlawfully killed and that police failings had contributed to their deaths.

As well as deciding whether officers should be charged, the CPS will be asked if charges should be brought over the police cover-up. Mr Bettison has strongly denied wrongdoing.

A CPS spokesman said: “In December 2013 the CPS sent letters to families outlining Sue Hemming’s role.

“It explained that while Sue once shared a platform with Mr Bettison, no personal or professional relationship exists between them. No issue was raised subsequently.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-campaigners-want-top-prosecutor-11367789

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: May 23, 2016, 12:56:37 pm »
How much were lawyers paid to represent senior police officers at Hillsborough inquests?

Figures show legal spend for retired officers

Former Assistant Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police Walter Jackson (left), with barrister Andrew Nuttall

Almost £25m has been spent on legal fees for serving and retired senior police officers at the Hillsborough inquests.

Figures show the South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner Dr Alan Billings spent a total of £24.7m on legal costs for the inquests up until March 2016.

That total included a barrister for the current chief constable of the force, as well as barristers for retired former officers who served at the time of the tragedy.

From October 2013 up until January this year, Lewis Hymanson Small solicitors - the firm representing match commanders David Duckenfield, Roger Marshall and Roger Greenwood as well as retired chief superintendents Terry Wain and Donald Denton - was paid more than £14m.

Of that, £10.4m was spent on counsel fees - paying the six barristers who represented the officers.

The three match commanders were represented by a team of four barristers, which included lead counsel John Beggs QC.

During the course of the inquests Mr Beggs questioned fans about alcohol and argued for the jury to be asked to consider whether fans were “in drink” .

Mr Wain and Mr Denton, who were both involved in evidence gathering after the disaster, were represented by barristers Chris Daw QC and Austin Welch.

During the inquests, Mr Daw accused former officer Clive Davis of telling “barefaced lies” after he alleged that Mr Wain had told a meeting: “We are going to put the blame for this disaster where it belongs: on the drunken, ticketless Liverpool fans.”

The police and crime commissioner’s figures showed that £5.8m was paid to law firm Burton Copeland,representing former deputy chief constable Peter Hayes and former assistant chief constables Walter Jackson and Stuart Anderson.

Of that, £4.3m was spent on counsel fees.

The three officers were represented at the inquests by two barristers, Guy Gozem QC and Andrew Nuttall.

The PCC had a legal obligation to support both the chief constable and former officers who were granted ‘interested person’ status at the inquests into the 96 deaths.

Special Grant funding of £20.4 million was secured from the Home Office, leaving a net cost to the PCC of £4.3 million.

Rank and file officers have been represented by the Police Federation of England and Wales (PFEW).

In a document available online, the federation says it has spent in the region of £5m on the inquests, with legal costs continuing to come in.

The document says: “PFEW is funded by member subscriptions and is not publicly funded.

“South Yorkshire PCC has recently contributed £2m towards the substantial legal costs of PFEW members.

“In contrast, the PCC has paid for the match commanders’ legal costs from the outset.

“Because until recently there was no contribution from the PCC we were left with no other option but to step in as a safety net and provide legal support to ensure that our members had the best possible representation.”

The federation is supporting 324 members - including current and former officers - in relation to Hillsborough, some of whom were witnesses at the inquests.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: September 5, 2016, 08:48:28 pm »
Jon Stoddart - the man leading the criminal investigation - is quitting on health grounds,

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/head-criminal-probe-hillsborough-disaster-11846217
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 7, 2016, 11:39:24 pm »
Here's another excellent article by David Conn on Orgreave - providing vital context to the culture surrounding South Yorkshire Police. Well worth a read.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/16/orgreave-inquiry-calls-grow-after-damning-hillsborough-verdict-for-south-yorkshire-police?CMP=share_btn_tw

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #156 on: September 8, 2016, 11:26:50 am »
Hillsborough Law launched to ensure officials act with 'candour'

A draft bill to ensure public officials act with “candour” and do not fall prey to “institutional defensiveness” is being launched on Thursday by relatives of the victims of the 1989 Hillsborough stadium tragedy.

The proposed legislation, supported by their lawyers and many MPs, draws on lessons learnt by the families during the protracted second inquest into those 96 deaths.

That two-year-long hearing concluded the fans had been unlawfully killed after damning evidence was given of failures by South Yorkshire police, the ambulance service and the football club.
Analysis The other villain of Hillsborough saga: legal system that left families in torment
The inquest delivered the basic justice people had waited 27 years for – but a detached judge and police repetition of old, putrid claims prolonged the nightmare
Read more

Lawyers for the victims believe proceedings were rendered unnecessarily complex and lengthy because police, including the former chief constable of South Yorkshire police, David Crompton, and other officials approached the inquests in a defensive manner aimed at minimising their responsibility.

In the aftermath of the inquest, the families called for new laws preventing public authorities and officials from acting in their own institutional defence when it is against the public interest.

Their lawyers, including the barristers Pete Weatherby QC and Michael Mansfield QC, have now drafted a Hillsborough Law, entitled the public authority accountability bill, which has already been referred to the inquiry led by Bishop James Jones, the former Anglican bishop of Liverpool, who is drawing up a report on the experiences of the families.

Published on Thursday, the draft bill attempts to codify a duty of candour which should apply to all public authorities, officials and civil servants. If enacted it would criminalise officials who mislead the general public or media “intentionally or recklessly”. Those who mislead court proceedings or inquiries or fail to provide witness statements could also be prosecuted.

The bill’s opening section states: “Public authorities and public servants and officials shall at all times act within their powers: (a) in the public interest, (b) with transparency, candour and frankness.

“Public authorities, public servants and officials shall be under a duty to assist court proceedings, official inquiries and investigations: relating to their own activities, or where their acts or omissions are or may be relevant.”

The proposed law draws on developments in other inquiries and international legal advances. The Mid-Staffs NHS Foundation Inquiry, known as the Francis Inquiry, in 2013 also recommended a statutory duty of candour with criminal sanctions for professionals and managers who mislead the public. That duty of candour has now been adopted within the NHS.
Andy Burnham to call for 'Hillsborough law' for bereaved families
Read more

A recent report by the Equalities and Human Rights Commission about deaths among detained adults with mental health conditions recommended that a duty of candour similar to the NHS regulations be extended to prisons, police stations and mental health institutions.

Pete Weatherby QC, one of the authors of the draft bill, said: “There was a problem of pervasive institutional defensiveness, a culture of denial [during the inquest]. A duty of candour would allow the bereaved and other citizens to cut through the difficulty of the law.” He added it would also “empower ordinary, decent public officials” to give evidence and prevent “cover-ups”.

The Hillsborough Law website says: “The families of those who died in the Hillsborough disaster have spent 27 years fighting not only for justice for their loved ones, but so that what happened to them can never happen again. The recent Hillsborough inquests made it all too clear that not enough has changed when it comes to public institutions acting in the public interest. It is past time to put that right.”

By coincidence, earlier this week, the Law Commission put out to consultation proposals to reform the offence of misconduct in public office.

It admitted that the law “governing misconduct in public office is unclear, ambiguous and in need of reform”. The Law Commission suggests that a new, clear statutory offence would remove ambiguity.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/08/hillsborough-law-launched-to-ensure-officials-act-with-candour

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2016, 09:53:04 am »
Hillsborough 96 posthumously awarded Freedom of Liverpool

The 96 victims of the Hillsborough disaster and former Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish have been awarded the Freedom of Liverpool.

Scrolls bearing the name of each victim were presented to their families along with a medal to denote the city's "highest honour".

Dalglish's wife Marina was also honoured, as were the former Bishop of Liverpool, and Prof Phil Scraton.

Their medals were presented during a ceremony at St George's Hall.

In April, an inquest jury found the fans who died as a result of a crush at the 1989 FA Cup game in Sheffield were unlawfully killed.

Mr Dalglish, who was manager at the time of the tragedy, ensured the club was represented at the fans' funerals and, along with his wife, helped support the bereaved families.

He said: "We only did for the families what they did for us - support us."

Former bishop, the Rt Rev James Jones led the Hillsborough Independent Panel, which uncovered evidence in 2012 about the disaster.

Prof Scraton led the panel's research team and his book, Hillsborough: The Truth, first published in 1999, is widely accepted as the definitive account of the disaster.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-37433343

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #158 on: September 23, 2016, 02:29:57 pm »
Hillsborough 96 posthumously awarded Freedom of Liverpool

The 96 victims of the Hillsborough disaster and former Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish have been awarded the Freedom of Liverpool.

Scrolls bearing the name of each victim were presented to their families along with a medal to denote the city's "highest honour".

Dalglish's wife Marina was also honoured, as were the former Bishop of Liverpool, and Prof Phil Scraton.

Their medals were presented during a ceremony at St George's Hall.

In April, an inquest jury found the fans who died as a result of a crush at the 1989 FA Cup game in Sheffield were unlawfully killed.

Mr Dalglish, who was manager at the time of the tragedy, ensured the club was represented at the fans' funerals and, along with his wife, helped support the bereaved families.

He said: "We only did for the families what they did for us - support us."

Former bishop, the Rt Rev James Jones led the Hillsborough Independent Panel, which uncovered evidence in 2012 about the disaster.

Prof Scraton led the panel's research team and his book, Hillsborough: The Truth, first published in 1999, is widely accepted as the definitive account of the disaster.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-37433343

Excellent. Well done Liverpool. 
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2016, 06:48:43 pm »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God