Author Topic: Ben Woodburn.  (Read 131481 times)

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Ben Woodburn.
« Reply #880 on: March 16, 2021, 01:38:44 pm »
Fair to say things haven't gone as we all hoped with Ben's career so far,think sadly he'll be released if we can't sort out another loan for him.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #881 on: March 16, 2021, 01:57:29 pm »
Just done some brief research.

Now 21 years old and only played 48 first team professional games across 5 seasons.

Odd career so far and possibly shows the perils of coming through at an elite club. Had he, for example, come through at a lower league side you feel he'd have played a lot more first team football and be a more accomplished player.
The club is more invested with the player if they own the player. If the loan isn't working ut early on they have no incentive to let the player play himself into form. The leg break didn't help either when he was just starting to play well at Oxford.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #882 on: March 16, 2021, 02:02:43 pm »
A reminder that despite the massive rewards for a select few, the life a footballer really isn't easy. Such a shame for him.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Online Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #883 on: March 16, 2021, 02:09:22 pm »

Odd career so far and possibly shows the perils of coming through at an elite club. Had he, for example, come through at a lower league side you feel he'd have played a lot more first team football and be a more accomplished player.

Personally I think it's more a case of showing how players just develop at different stages. Ben is not the only example of someone that looks to have the potential to be a world beater at 17/18 only for time to show they have already peaked. Michael Owen did have a pretty long and succesful carreer but I always thought he was at his very best as an 18 year old. Conversely you have someone like Vardy that was playing amateur football upto 25 and was an England international a few years later

I'm not having a dig at Ben by the way, would love him to prove me wrong and go onto have a successful career somewhere 

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #884 on: March 16, 2021, 02:16:14 pm »
Ben's progression has really influenced my opinion of young players now.  He was never the quickest or biggest and despite his good footballing brain and great touch, that really held him back once he reached the top level.

Which is why I don't think Neco is going to be a valid option as a back up right back.  But Curtis has both the size and speed to make it at the very top.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #885 on: March 16, 2021, 02:21:01 pm »
I can never figure out his position really, he's not really a forward and not really a midfielder or a number 10 so?

Online Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #886 on: March 16, 2021, 02:28:28 pm »
Ben's progression has really influenced my opinion of young players now.  He was never the quickest or biggest and despite his good footballing brain and great touch, that really held him back once he reached the top level.

And despite all the promise he show's that's my concern with Harvey Elliot.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #887 on: March 16, 2021, 02:29:13 pm »
Woodburn should be looking at the likes of Bradley Dack as to how to model his game for a 10 in the lower leagues.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #888 on: March 16, 2021, 02:35:10 pm »
And despite all the promise he show's that's my concern with Harvey Elliot.

Think Elliott is a different proposition, he proper scampers around, Woodburn was slower in his movement.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #889 on: March 16, 2021, 02:46:52 pm »
Elliott is also a very different type of player who's biggest plus point is his passing/creativity. Woodburn broke through and stood out due to his goals/movement. It'll be easier finding a role in senior football for someone who's creative but may not have explosive athleticism.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #890 on: March 16, 2021, 05:43:48 pm »
The club is more invested with the player if they own the player. If the loan isn't working ut early on they have no incentive to let the player play himself into form. The leg break didn't help either when he was just starting to play well at Oxford.

I saw him play at Oxford - in one of the last games before he got seriously injured. He was terrific, and the locals knew he was. They absolutely pasted....trying to think who it was....Gillingham perhaps.  And Woodburn was excellent in what looked like a very progressive team. (Brannagan, formerly of this manor, looked pretty decent too).
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #891 on: March 17, 2021, 08:20:46 am »
He had quite a weight of expectation on his shoulders as well. He was being touted as the "next big thing" from a very early age which can make or break a player. Players (like all of us) develop both mentally and physically at different rates.

Obviously his injury problems set him back completely.

I wish him well when he inevitably moves on, but he will always be a "what if?" player for me.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #892 on: March 17, 2021, 09:40:48 am »
I saw him play at Oxford - in one of the last games before he got seriously injured. He was terrific, and the locals knew he was. They absolutely pasted....trying to think who it was....Gillingham perhaps.  And Woodburn was excellent in what looked like a very progressive team. (Brannagan, formerly of this manor, looked pretty decent too).

I've always thought Karl Robinson was a good manager, he has Oxford playing some good stuff. Much to the annoyance of my brother who is a Swindon fan.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #893 on: March 17, 2021, 10:07:49 am »
He had quite a weight of expectation on his shoulders as well. He was being touted as the "next big thing" from a very early age which can make or break a player. Players (like all of us) develop both mentally and physically at different rates.

Obviously his injury problems set him back completely.

I wish him well when he inevitably moves on, but he will always be a "what if?" player for me.

Wouldn't rule him out just yet.

Ben was playing well at Oxford before he got injured. The issue Ben had was he was playing as front 3 for us in the early days but it was clear he won't play there. Now hes in midfield he stands a chance.

If we don't get into the CL I think Ben won't go out on loan and will stay with us to captain the under 23 and play in the EL if we get into that competition.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #894 on: March 23, 2021, 12:19:33 am »
Great to see Ben back in the limelight. Took his goals ever so well. Keep going, kid  :thumbup
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #895 on: August 9, 2021, 09:42:05 pm »
A curate's egg, isn't he?
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #896 on: August 9, 2021, 09:46:38 pm »

what does that mean?
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #897 on: August 9, 2021, 09:47:42 pm »
what does that mean?

It means he’s like the egg belonging to the curate in the famous (but apocryphal) story.

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #898 on: August 9, 2021, 09:51:41 pm »

Certainly it's difficult to understand how Critchley didn't view him as worth more minutes last season.

His talent deserves a long term home at a decent level........ Surprised Stevie hasn't tried to take him to Glasgow.

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #899 on: August 9, 2021, 10:07:45 pm »
Had forgot all about him . thought he had became a bus driver or somethin.

Offline Szemerényi

• Anny Roader
  • We all ride the red and white gallop
« Reply #900 on: August 9, 2021, 10:15:04 pm »
It means he’s like the egg belonging to the curate in the famous (but apocryphal) story.

What does that mean?

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #903 on: August 9, 2021, 10:20:37 pm »
Happy that he played well tonight. Can’t be easy when there was so much hype around him. I personally never saw why but that has to have affected him mentally. Would be great to see him kick on and have a good career, still plenty of time.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #904 on: August 9, 2021, 11:04:24 pm »
what does that mean?

It's a religious connotation that suggests a man can produce fertilizable eggs if and when he wears a long flowing gown. Very now.

Online thechangingman_ynwa

• Kemlynite
« Reply #905 on: August 10, 2021, 11:09:38 am »
Sounds like he might have a future...

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/440418-ben-woodburn-jurgen-klopp-pep-lijnders

“I’m so happy for him. Like many of the team it didn’t come easy for him, but he has an Anfield future.”
Who's bigger than Liverpool?

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #906 on: August 10, 2021, 11:15:41 am »
Sounds like he might have a future...

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/440418-ben-woodburn-jurgen-klopp-pep-lijnders

“I’m so happy for him. Like many of the team it didn’t come easy for him, but he has an Anfield future.”

I really hope so. I love watching this player. The closest substitute for Bobby Firmino that we have. High technique, unexpected flicks and backheels which land, a calmness when things start getting busy around him, and a decent eye for goal.

I saw him play for Oxford just before he got his last big injury. After 30 minutes the team was already 3-0 up and would have been 5 or 6 up if the rest of the Oxford lads could have read his game perfectly.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline abetts

• Anny Roader
« Reply #907 on: August 10, 2021, 11:18:47 am »
What happened to him exactly? Through the youth teams and reserves, I always thought he was a very good prospect because he played with such intelligence. He was never the quickest, the strongest, or the trickiest; but he was very good at finding space, linking play, and finishing.

It's always hard to predict the career trajectory of a youth player, but honestly I thought by now he'd have been a solid member of the squad.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #908 on: August 10, 2021, 11:35:09 am »
I really hope so. I love watching this player. The closest substitute for Bobby Firmino that we have. High technique, unexpected flicks and backheels which land, a calmness when things start getting busy around him, and a decent eye for goal.

I saw him play for Oxford just before he got his last big injury. After 30 minutes the team was already 3-0 up and would have been 5 or 6 up if the rest of the Oxford lads could have read his game perfectly.

Yeh I love watching Woodburn play as well.

His problem is how well stacked we are with players younger than him who arguably have a higher ceiling. The likes of Jones, Elliot, Gordon, Clarkson, Balagizi and Musialowski.

He isn't going to get ahead of the likes of Jones and Elliot for the first team and playing for the U23's is going to block the progress of the next wave of talent.

He needs first team minutes somewhere but hasn't really showed enough whilst on loan. I think the most likely outcome is a sale with a buy back or a percentage of a future sale.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #909 on: August 10, 2021, 02:16:16 pm »
Would love him to kick on. As others have said, he has qualities that others don’t, but his lack of those assets so highly prized - pace, power and swagger, have stalled his progress.

I watched the Osasuna game last night. He and Clarkson stood out for their consistently good decision making - two slight, rather slow technicians with terrific football intelligence. I couldn’t help comparing their performances with that of an established player - albeit one playing a different role. I’m referring to Origi; he is an infuriating footballer to watch because he has, as has been chronicled to death on these boards, all the physical attributes Clarkson and Woodburn are short of, but lacks the innate football brain they both possess.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #910 on: August 10, 2021, 02:22:30 pm »
Would love him to kick on. As others have said, he has qualities that others don’t, but his lack of those assets so highly prized - pace, power and swagger, have stalled his progress.

I watched the Osasuna game last night. He and Clarkson stood out for their consistently good decision making - two slight, rather slow technicians with terrific football intelligence. I couldn’t help comparing their performances with that of an established player - albeit one playing a different role. I’m referring to Origi; he is an infuriating footballer to watch because he has, as has been chronicled to death on these boards, all the physical attributes Clarkson and Woodburn are short of, but lacks the innate football brain they both possess.

Probably a fair assessment Robin.

But it makes you think 'what is pace?' Practically every time the ball came to Woodburn and Clarkson last night they injected speed into the team. With the super-quick Origi the opposite happened, as it always does. The pace was sucked out of the side. 

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #911 on: August 10, 2021, 02:30:14 pm »

But it makes you think 'what is pace?' Practically every time the ball came to Woodburn and Clarkson last night they injected speed into the team. With the super-quick Origi the opposite happened, as it always does. The pace was sucked out of the side. 

All I can add is “The first five yards”🤗
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #912 on: August 10, 2021, 02:41:17 pm »
It's a religious connotation that suggests a man can produce fertilizable eggs if and when he wears a long flowing gown. Very now.

;D

Would be quite the turnaround if Jurgen somehow developed him into the new Mario Gotze.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: August 10, 2021, 03:03:07 pm »
;D

Would be quite the turnaround if Jurgen somehow developed him into the new Mario Gotze.
If there's anyone that could pull this off, it's Klopp and his coaching team. Woodburn was ahead of Trent once upon a time lest we forget. We don't really know what happened to him since Leeds but he looks more ready now physically and perhaps he is now completely injury free. Both Klopp and Lijnders were complimentary of Woodburn performances this pre-season post game last night (perhaps to 'jack up' his value?)

I'll be delighted if he makes it here. He may appear to be lagging behind Jones and Elliott but you never know. Stranger things have happened before in football ... 
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #914 on: August 10, 2021, 03:04:23 pm »

Because Woodburn and Clarkson know how to place a forward pass to a teammate already on the run. I remember watching Rafa's Valencia dismantle us and thinking the same thing about them. Slow to a man, but they moved so swiftly up the pitch. Klopp's Dortmund, too, to some degree. Origi's passing slows our ball progression.   
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 03:06:30 pm by wemmick »

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #915 on: August 10, 2021, 03:10:03 pm »
Because Woodburn and Clarkson know how to place a forward pass to a teammate already on the run. I remember watching Rafa's Valencia dismantle us and thinking the same thing about them. Slow to a man, but they moved so swiftly up the pitch. Klopp's Dortmund, too, to some degree. Origi's passing slows our ball progression.   

Made me think of Pablo Aimar, that mention.  What a player.  What a team!

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #916 on: August 10, 2021, 03:29:41 pm »
I could watch him play all day, but I'm not sure it will translate to a career at Liverpool.

He should have a good career elsewhere though. At the very least.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #917 on: August 10, 2021, 06:28:06 pm »
Before you all start making decisions on his future, why not just praise a lad who has had it tough these last couple of years with injuries and a loss confidence, yet, he's still swinging, chasing his dream of playing for the reds. I wish him every success. A good 'un is Ben Woodburn. Hell of a player and will keep on improving, no doubt about that
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #918 on: August 10, 2021, 09:52:57 pm »
I could watch him play all day, but I'm not sure it will translate to a career at Liverpool.

He should have a good career elsewhere though. At the very least.
I've heard this sentiment many times and have never understood what it is based on.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #919 on: August 10, 2021, 11:10:26 pm »
Before you all start making decisions on his future, why not just praise a lad who has had it tough these last couple of years with injuries and a loss confidence, yet, he's still swinging, chasing his dream of playing for the reds. I wish him every success. A good 'un is Ben Woodburn. Hell of a player and will keep on improving, no doubt about that

Any idea what that black strapping he was wearing on his back and neck is for?