Author Topic: The System is the King  (Read 40800 times)

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Re: The System is the King
« Reply #80 on: September 9, 2013, 05:28:00 pm »
Autonomy or autonomous?

Or we could just say 'appears instinctive'

That will do nicely.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: September 9, 2013, 07:04:38 pm »
On the first bolded part: As I've said earlier (in other threads), I do believe this has been our 'default' back-up plan, whenever the primary plan (control through possession, passing, and fluid movement with bursts of creativity) sputters and becomes ineffective.

On the second bolded part: I believe that the two approaches are "equifinal". Training (and player selection) for both would probably be ideal. That ideal is probably unattainable in the real world.

the promising thing is that they can mix it up it would seem. sometimes the game dictates how you have to play, if they are comfortable playing both ways and interchanging between the two its going to mean a more robust team. Last year it appeared that if it wasn't flowing we were going to get beaten. This year we have won ugly. all power to Rodgers in my opinion. The defensive reinforcements this summer if anything look to me like we are better set than ever before to get men behind the ball if the period of the game or even the fixture itself calls for it.

Offline Homo rubrum

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Knock it and run, son.
« Reply #82 on: September 9, 2013, 07:27:29 pm »
I just read through a rather dense page of (excellent) discussion, the apotheosis of which was settling on "appears instinctive," when 'instinctive' alone offended the pedants. 

This is why I love this forum.

This discussion about the differences in game intelligence as required by a player versus a manager is close to a topic I have been giving increasing thought. 

I always played sports, and I'm fairly tall and reasonably athletic, so I was generally one of the better players at a younger age.  Then, as self-discipline/fascist soccer moms began to play a role, my peers were increasingly more skilled than I.  But, outside of the highest levels (available to a kid in rural Virginia, at least), I could just about hold my own against them, fitter and more skillful though they were. 

I really do not mean to sound boastful, because we're talking about some inglorious fields of competition here, but the central point remains- I have always had a knack for knowing where to be.  I threw up regular triple-doubles on a basketball team with two wins in four years. I was the Gerd Müller of my recreational soccer league, and it became a point of pride.   I could tell they were 'better' than me, but I was scoring more. 

*An interesting sociological aside there on the slacker heroes of my youth and their insidious influence on my value system.

As I have gotten more and more interested in the tactical side of the game (thanks almost entirely to RAWK), I have grown frustrated with myself.  Why can't I see the large scale patterns that become so obvious when they are pointed out to me?  If I was player x in situation y, I fancy I would've made that same run that has got everyone in here so excited, but I have no idea why I would've in relation to the role of player x in that system (also I obviously would really have been winded/vomiting on the sideline).  Somewhere in the transition from 11 men to the gestalt that is a side I am missing something fundamental. 

I'm not so Dunning-Kruger'd as to be surprised that after 2 years of lurking on a forum I don't have an expert level of insight, but this is happening slower than my usual learning curve- on top of my own perceived 'in-game intelligence' as a starting point.  This leads me to believe that it would hardly be a skill that it was practical to train for, and potentially very difficult to scout for. 

Which brings me to my question.  Do you even want the cogs to be aware?  From my own perspective, it seems plausible to have 11 players that all knew (seemingly instinctively!) what it was they needed to do in any given situation without having the slightest idea how it related to the whole.  Is there really a benefit to them understanding the why's? 

And, if not, can the system be the king when the cogs don't even know they are in thrall?
And if you can do it all with a proud boner, then why the hell not?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: September 9, 2013, 07:51:55 pm »
I just read through a rather dense page of (excellent) discussion, the apotheosis of which was settling on "appears instinctive," when 'instinctive' alone offended the pedants. 

This discussion about the differences in game intelligence as required by a player versus a manager is close to a topic I have been giving increasing thought. 

I always played sports, and I'm fairly tall and reasonably athletic, so I was generally one of the better players at a younger age.  Then, as self-discipline/fascist soccer moms began to play a role, my peers were increasingly more skilled than I.  But, outside of the highest levels (available to a kid in rural Virginia, at least), I could just about hold my own against them, fitter and more skillful though they were. 

I really do not mean to sound boastful, because we're talking about some inglorious fields of competition here, but the central point remains- I have always had a knack for knowing where to be.  I threw up regular triple-doubles on a basketball team with two wins in four years. I was the Gerd Müller of my recreational soccer league, and it became a point of pride.   I could tell they were 'better' than me, but I was scoring more. 

*An interesting sociological aside there on the slacker heroes of my youth and their insidious influence on my value system.

As I have gotten more and more interested in the tactical side of the game (thanks almost entirely to RAWK), I have grown frustrated with myself.  Why can't I see the large scale patterns that become so obvious when they are pointed out to me?  If I was player x in situation y, I fancy I would've made that same run that has got everyone in here so excited, but I have no idea why I would've in relation to the role of player x in that system (also I obviously would really have been winded/vomiting on the sideline).  Somewhere in the transition from 11 men to the gestalt that is a side I am missing something fundamental. 

I'm not so Dunning-Kruger'd as to be surprised that after 2 years of lurking on a forum I don't have an expert level of insight, but this is happening slower than my usual learning curve- on top of my own perceived 'in-game intelligence' as a starting point.  This leads me to believe that it would hardly be a skill that it was practical to train for, and potentially very difficult to scout for. 

Which brings me to my question.  Do you even want the cogs to be aware?  From my own perspective, it seems plausible to have 11 players that all knew (seemingly instinctively!) what it was they needed to do in any given situation without having the slightest idea how it related to the whole.  Is there really a benefit to them understanding the why's? 

And, if not, can the system be the king when the cogs don't even know they are in thrall?

Great post, sums up for most of us how it feels to be trying to get it, I would imagine.

I would imagine most systems would need at least a couple of players who got it, who see the whole rather than their very narrow role within the system. And I can only imagine the more players that get it, the better the team and the outcomes from a systemic perspective.

fascinating discussion around the "instinctive" nature of football. For me Even the greats didn't just pitch up and do wonderful things, it all comes from observation trial and error and then almost obsessive compulsive repetition. George Best practiced.

if that's the case then the cognitive effort needed to learn and then repeat until instinctive is more likely to be replicated.

my own experience suggests that when broken down into small bite size chunks that technique and skill can be taught quite impressively to even the most un-gifted of young players. Why not movement why not the ability to look to take a complete picture, why not the ability to make better decisions.? Why cant game intelligence be taught? Can we really teach insight? Fuck it we can teach maths.

Great discussion.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: September 9, 2013, 08:04:07 pm »
and is it harder to "get" it as you get older? i'm sure it must be.

The intellectualisation of the game is what's needed at grass roots if you ask me. I have found this week that concepts I have never even consider until the last 18 months when broken down a little bit are listened to, digested, understood and then carried out by seven year olds within a matter of minutes, and what's more because its essentially a game the majority get the insight into the why's all by themselves.

once you start seeing it its harder not to see it, and once you see it young enough it becomes instinct, almost magical. Never the less its been learnt at some point, even if it was at 3 in the back garden watching your brother, its still learnt behaviour even if it was never taught.

all in my humble of course.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #85 on: September 9, 2013, 08:29:06 pm »
Good post Homo, and a great response from Exiled'  :D

I think we're seeing the significance of this line of thinking.  Great debate all round.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: September 9, 2013, 10:36:08 pm »

I was shit even for a park footballer, so I've never had to answer this question, having never known what form was in the first place. What happens when you lose form? Is it better to just continue doing what instinct tells you, as it affords you a quicker reaction time and an uncomplicated thought process. Or is it better to think through what you do so that you can work out what's changed and what's not working. I can see the argument for both, but I've never had to face the question, so I don't know what the answer is. I know that in cricket, it's a process of recalibration that takes time to reattune one's reflexive mechanics, but cricketers have traditionally been more open to indepth analysis than footballers.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Homo rubrum

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Knock it and run, son.
« Reply #87 on: September 9, 2013, 11:50:20 pm »

The intellectualisation of the game is what's needed at grass roots if you ask me. I have found this week that concepts I have never even consider until the last 18 months when broken down a little bit are listened to, digested, understood and then carried out by seven year olds within a matter of minutes, and what's more because its essentially a game the majority get the insight into the why's all by themselves.

I think it'd be hard to put together an argument for any negatives of teaching your seven year olds system, especially given that you say it is working so well.  (Congratulations by the way, I really enjoy reading what you and the other practicing youth coaches have to say about the real world application of these ideas).  My question would be how much actual 'systemization' of these system ideas is actually going on, and how much the kids are just 'individualizing' system concepts.  Or are those functionally the same thing? 

Like Sangia with form, I fundamentally do not grasp this thing holistically and so cannot answer my questions.  Maybe seeing the playing forest for the trees is nothing more than seeing, and understanding, those 22 individual trees; they are the component parts the system, after all.  I can get my head around that at least, but I have doubts reality works anything like it. Maybe that is just me trying to mystify something I'm ashamed of my own showing in, though. 

I would imagine most systems would need at least a couple of players who got it, who see the whole rather than their very narrow role within the system. And I can only imagine the more players that get it, the better the team and the outcomes from a systemic perspective.

fascinating discussion around the "instinctive" nature of football. For me Even the greats didn't just pitch up and do wonderful things, it all comes from observation trial and error and then almost obsessive compulsive repetition. George Best practiced.

My counter point would be that the greats could absolutely 'pitch up and do wonderful things;' what they practiced for was the consistent ability to do them, and the knowledge of when to do what for maximum affect.  I have seen some very average athletes do some supremely impressive things, once.  If teenage Kenny had never really cared for the fitba, but got dragged down the game on occasion, something tells me he'd still have had some degree of 'it.'

I like to think virtually anything is teachable to a degree, but my own observations tell me that 'vision/instinct/intelligence' is either only improvable by a relatively small degree, or else we are collectively shite at teaching it.  Further extending that vision/instinct/intelligence beyond yourself to the collective level- and being able to do so at game speed- well maybe I should just go back to reading only...

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2013, 07:26:26 am »
I think it'd be hard to put together an argument for any negatives of teaching your seven year olds system, especially given that you say it is working so well.  (Congratulations by the way, I really enjoy reading what you and the other practicing youth coaches have to say about the real world application of these ideas).  My question would be how much actual 'systemization' of these system ideas is actually going on, and how much the kids are just 'individualizing' system concepts.  Or are those functionally the same thing? 

Like Sangia with form, I fundamentally do not grasp this thing holistically and so cannot answer my questions.  Maybe seeing the playing forest for the trees is nothing more than seeing, and understanding, those 22 individual trees; they are the component parts the system, after all.  I can get my head around that at least, but I have doubts reality works anything like it. Maybe that is just me trying to mystify something I'm ashamed of my own showing in, though. 

My counter point would be that the greats could absolutely 'pitch up and do wonderful things;' what they practiced for was the consistent ability to do them, and the knowledge of when to do what for maximum affect.  I have seen some very average athletes do some supremely impressive things, once.  If teenage Kenny had never really cared for the fitba, but got dragged down the game on occasion, something tells me he'd still have had some degree of 'it.'

I like to think virtually anything is teachable to a degree, but my own observations tell me that 'vision/instinct/intelligence' is either only improvable by a relatively small degree, or else we are collectively shite at teaching it.  Further extending that vision/instinct/intelligence beyond yourself to the collective level- and being able to do so at game speed- well maybe I should just go back to reading only...

You don't need to teach everything to the highest degree. You practise what you need to use. And that will enable you to perform things quicker. And that gives you the edge. In football, Shanks summed it up, that it's about passing the ball to someone wearing the same shirt as yourself. And it's about passing and receiving the ball and about making yourself available for the next pass. For some, that means they get more options. For others, it means they go through the motions, which may only serve the purpose that they also hand over that extra time to someone else. Which may well be the right decision.

How much do you need to understand? It varies. Initially, not a lot. With time, the more people who learn to spot the patterns, the better.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2013, 02:15:27 pm »
Agreed, but it's better for the discussion to accept the colloquial definition of "instinct" then to have to preface the entire thread of posts with a précis on "subconscious learned behaviour" and "automatism" :D

Fair enough. The same goes for the other folks who responded. It does appear that the term "instinct" is being used, and more importantly being understood by others and taken up in their responses, in ways that do not connote "innate" and stereotyped behavioral pattern.

I hope it wasn't JUST a pedantic point on my part (I am sure it was, IN PART, as that's my 'instinct') Ha ha!  :wave
Ludi Circenses!

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2013, 02:57:27 pm »

I think this is really getting to the point of the thread, and I think fundamentally that 'game intelligence' (without being very careful of what we mean by it) is of rather limited (and entirely subjective) value in assessing a player.

I can't play football to save my life. I have no pretensions to understanding the game at an individual, pitch level. But I stood on the Kop, over a period of about 15 years, watching and studying the very best Paisley-Fagan-Dalglish sides (and some less stellar Souness sides). Incidentally, the most impressive thing I ever heard Terry Venables say was that he always watched videos of a game from one end terrace, because you get a different - and better - view of shape and movement in the game, of banks of four, of players dropping into space, of the depth of the play.

Now, this doesn't make me a tactical expert, but I have found over the years I have some understanding of the shape and flow of a game, the cohesion and fluidity of a team, which seems to be lacking in many people I've met who can actually play (and also often it seems, pundits and players). Their focus is always on the individual - the battle against his opposite number, his responsibilities in any given situation, his weaknesses and his errors. But really this is natural. It's a reflection of their perspective of the game - of seeing it happen around them, at close quarters, at high speed, at ground level. If your experience of football is primarily as participant sport, it's natural that reflecting on the game you still often see it through the eyes of a participant. Even the view from the dugout or the bench (or to a lesser extent, the main TV cameras) is seeing the game almost from within it, compared to being stood halfway up the Kop. Over the last year or so I've watched my partner's son in youth games from the touchline and the difference is very obvious. You focus on the individuals, the exertions and the minutae of touch or contact, runs and restricted views and angles.

PoP, Yorkykopite and others write very eloquently about the technique and awareness required at the top level from an understanding of this viewpoint of a game (and that's not to imply they don't of other viewpoints). An intelligent player thus understands his immediate surroundings, the options available to him, how to create time and space for himself with the right type of touch or turn. The best, most intelligent players - and I think here we come back to a player like Souness (speaking of Yorkykopite and Souness, search for 'souness' by 'yorkykopite' and see the 2nd result) - ally a technical and intelligent mastery of their immediate surroundings with a broader awareness of the tempo and the ebb and flow of a game. But I think (using managerial and punditry evidence after the event), he still saw it all essentially from an individual perspective, from the centre of the pitch with the ebb and flow of battle all around him (the notion of 'midfield general' being quite apt). His understanding of momentum and tempo I think was a self-focused one; about stamping his authority on the game, seeing his immediate opponents chasing in vain, slowing the tempo to conserve energy.

But as PoP says, Souness - who had a decent managerial record, overall - didn't have remotely the 'managerial intelligence' of those he played under at Anfield. His teams reverted to the 'English stereotype' of expecting 11 individuals to win their personal battles. He recruited players like Saunders, Ruddock, Dicks and Paul Stewart - none of whom anyone would accuse of great football intelligence. Incidentally, Paul Stewart effectively ousted from the team a very intelligent young player, who was then sent to West Ham in the deal for Dicks. Thankfully, Mike Marsh is now back at Anfield and I think is going to make a very successful coach, at least. Marsh was something like a cross between Lucas and Joe Allen; I believe in one game he basically sat dictating the game in the middle of the park and completed something like 100 of 107 passes, or thereabouts. Souness (and every media pundit) preferred Jamie Redknapp, a player I always categorised as 'nice feet, no brain' (something like Jonjo Shelvey, if he had better feet).

Anyway. Does this have a point? Yes. Initially at the discussion of Souness, he's a challenge I think to the point Prof and I were making. He was undoubtedly an 'intelligent' player, who directed games (if partly at times by sheer force of will and arrogance, as much as intelligence and awareness). He understood momentum, tempo, flow. But ultimately it seems, he really understood them from that individual vantage point within the game. He didn't, as it transpired, particularly understand shape and tactics, or what sort of player was actually needed. He reverted to the blood and thunder of the stereotyped British manager, rather than the (apparent) intelligence and subtlety of the players he'd actually been surrounded with. That does beg the question of how much he actually understood the players around him that he'd played with for years, why they were the ones recruited and selected, what their important attributes were. In common with some other ex-Liverpool pundits, he appears to have pictured his own teammates of the past purely as mentally tough, combative, 'winners', ignoring awareness, technical ability and - of course - the system they had been playing within. How much of it did he really 'get'?

So the point - and coming back to the bolded bits - is that even a great, 'intelligent', player doesn't actually need to have (and very, very rarely has) 'managerial' type intelligence. He's not the manager's tactical substitute on the field. He can influence tempo and flow, because those happen around him. He can't influence shape and strategy, because he can't see them from within. But then a truly successful team needs all of it's components to be able to do that, in their sphere of the game. A single, driving, dominant force (inevitably restricted in it's own viewpoint of the action) is neither necessary or desirable, because his appreciation of the state of the game is incomplete, and his assertion of control can inhibit or be counter productive to others.

To return to an analogy posted above, borrowed from Shankly, the team needs a conductor (or three), not a composer.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:03:52 pm by redmark »
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2013, 03:29:47 pm »
Spot on again Redmark  :D

It reminds me of the 'analysis' after one of our games under Rafa, where Souness and Strachan were the pundits.  Souness was hammering zonal defending, when Strachan calmly (and very tactfully) said that he thought the reason Rafa uses it is because the data says it is more effective.  Souness blew his top (even more) and basically said that he can't accept that as it lets the players off the hook.  He needed someone to blame.  Strachan started to try to tell him that every player has a zone, so individual responsibility still mattered, but I think just gave up.

Souness was a great player, and knew his role in a great system.  Strachan educated himself (particlularly after playing) to understand the game.

There's something about Strachan, because I recall being impressed enough by something(s) he'd said to have thought he would go on to be a very good manager, back while Houllier was still at Liverpool. I recall it, because I even mentioned him on the official site as an outside bet to succeed Houllier :). He's not really progressed as I thought he would as a manager, yet, at least.

Zonal vs man marking is a really good analogy for this subject as a whole, I think. Players instinctively (or apparently instinctively? :)) favour man marking, because they understand it on that individual-battle level. Analytical managers (and I suspect chubby blokes in their 40s whose football experience is the result of standing on the kop) understand the appeal of zonal - and why it should be more successful - because of the appreciation of space from a distant, 'top-down' perspective - indeed, a view of football as a whole as taking place in 'zones'.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2013, 03:29:57 pm »

yep its an argument that isn't anywhere near clear cut at this stage, we are still a fair way off any definitive answers over nature versus nurture.......but.

not one single 6 year old I have ever seen who hasn't been practising in the back garden can do keepy uppies. not one. We all coo and ahhh over the little maestros who come to organised football for the first time and do skills but they haven't plucked them out of the ether. Its all practice, some get it quicker just like some pass their driving test after 5 lessons and some (ahem) need 3 tests.

its perfectly possible a three year old with a quick and clever mind thinks if I do this he cant get the ball. The fact that dad didn't get the ball re-inforces that that's the way to do it then he does it all the time. Football is a game, its evolved over a substantial time curve so in that regard it needs teaching just like any subject matter. But their must be something in the human psyche something more intuitive around kicking that may well mean there is a gene that makes eye foot co-ordination better. So it has to be a mixture of natural aptitude and practice like most things are. My point though is that its not just Zidane who can pull off a zidane turn, pretty much any 7 year old can do it once they understand the small details that make the move in slow time. To invent it thought that's special, the execution not so much.

And my point is I suppose, its surely the same as seeing stuff. Ok so we don't see it at first, that's fine but it is possible to train yourself to see it, and once you get the nack of what to look for you see it and quickly. It like anything.

if all zogs are zigs, are all zigs zogs?

that catches a huge amount of people out who haven't seen it before but once you have seen that and understood it, its very difficult to be caught out by a statement like that again. You learn.

and the problem is that for most people and I include myself here, if we don't understand something we fuck it off. So all this high faluteing tacticalm football talk goes over most of oour heads and the average football fan simply fucks it off as people trying to sound clever "football is a simple game" they will say, and it is but if your like me and don't actually see the matrix then you have to dig. and as you dig you start to learn.

an example for you of trying to keep it simple. Started with 6 year olds last year and my motto was keep it simple. Everybody nodded and agreed. my style was going to be "pass and move" everybody thought "yep that's fucking bang on. Try teaching pass and move to six year olds. Move where? well into space. what space there's loads of it? well good space, not not that close to him, and not behind him. so then your onto to passing lanes. and its not just pass and move, it should be control pass and move, control is the really key bit. Hold on though, surely there should be a look or head up in there too, don't forget on your toes...................fuck me Bartlett now your complicating things.

I find that for any simple maxim or sound bite, I have to reverse engineer in order to understand and then coach. And I tie myself up in all sorts of knots, but I cant possibly show anybody anything until I understand it properly. And then I usually discover that i'm not in actual fact re-inventing the wheel because other people have laid out excellent explanations in language that i'm beginning to understand. Its just that before I fucked it all off as bollocks.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:38:07 pm by exiledinyorkshire »

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2013, 03:39:10 pm »
Just on the general points of coaching and style in English football, it's been informative and depressing listening to the recent hand-wringing about the state of English football, again. The most considered of the mainstream analysis - yes, the most considered, beyond 'foreign managers buy foreign players' - seems to be that we've 'done the passing thing' and it doesn't work, and we need to get back to coaching youngsters to 'beat a man' and use flair. Back to winning individual battles. No understanding of what passing is actually supposed to accomplish, allied to movement and tempo. You can see it in Hodgson's England at times - we do pass the ball. Slowly and aimlessly. So we've tried it and it doesn't work.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2013, 03:43:34 pm »
and just in case anybody was wondering this is where I am so far with the king of all ideologies "pass and move".

on your toes/ take a picture/ soft touch control/look and check/ pass or dribble/ move forward to support.  :butt

not very catchy is it. Fucking "pass and move" thanks Bill.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2013, 03:54:03 pm »
Incidentally, Paul Stewart effectively ousted from the team a very intelligent young player, who was then sent to West Ham in the deal for Dicks. Thankfully, Mike Marsh is now back at Anfield and I think is going to make a very successful coach, at least. Marsh was something like a cross between Lucas and Joe Allen; I believe in one game he basically sat dictating the game in the middle of the park and completed something like 100 of 107 passes, or thereabouts. Souness (and every media pundit) preferred Jamie Redknapp, a player I always categorised as 'nice feet, no brain' (something like Jonjo Shelvey, if he had better feet).

Yes! Another fan of Mike Marsh.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2013, 04:22:02 pm »
Yes! Another fan of Mike Marsh.

I loved Mike Marsh. His departure was actually my final straw with Souness, as I recall. I think he was ahead of his time as a footballer in a sense; small build, technically good and intelligent, so he was too often pushed into an attacking midfield role, but he could boss the game sitting in midfield with Lucas-style slick passing.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2013, 04:29:37 pm »
I loved Mike Marsh. His departure was actually my final straw with Souness, as I recall. I think he was ahead of his time as a footballer in a sense; small build, technically good and intelligent, so he was too often pushed into an attacking midfield role, but he could boss the game sitting in midfield with Lucas-style slick passing.

I was too young and too uneducated to understand why I loved watching him play, but I had this feeling that he looked "right" as a Liverpool player. Someone older and wiser than me explained here that he was balanced, was two footed and had quick feet, and hence didn't look out of place wherever he played. All I knew at the time was that, among the newer and younger crop of players, Marsh was my favourite, and I mourned his exit.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2013, 04:30:41 pm »
Cracking post that Redmark,  a lot of truth resonates within it.

It’s fairly clear that within football and the system itself, there are two or more types of intelligence as you say, and they are pretty far from mutually exclusive in many cases. You could look at a player like Zinedine Zidane as an intelligent player, with his movement patterns, proactivity, awareness and vision. ‘Always two steps ahead of everybody else’ is possibly one of the most trotted out quotes when football people talk of Zuzou, and rightly so, because he had a remarkable habit of finding space, creating avenues for himself to play within and the ball to travel through. He seemed to always have time on the ball. He was an exquisite player to watch and I would always describe him as an intelligent player. I think that we could possibly refer to this as ‘momentary intelligence’. What he is doing is something that comes naturally to him as he has an eye for how the play will pan out over the next phase and can see where to make himself available. Although ‘two steps ahead’ – always very much playing in the moment. However, with all the intelligence that applies to Zidane, his technical abilities can not be over looked. Perfect first touch, excellent posture and turning circle, quick in the first two steps as well as the obvious qualities such as being a superb passer, finisher, header of the ball etc etc. Momentary intelligence isn’t in itself enough for a player to become successful – ability is very much relative and must at least run parallel with it; Zidane, Souness, Gascgoine, Cantona and several others were fortunate to have enough of both in spades.

The other could probably I like to refer  to as ‘universal intelligence’. This is less about natural instincts and habits and more in tune with understanding the game as a whole picture from beginning to end, and from a players point of view it would be more about understanding their role within the system, what is required of them and why. This will usually be a very different type of player to the ones aforementioned who will have to work harder for success. Players like Kuyt, Guttuso, Gilberto and Allen strike me more as players who have universal intelligence. They understand what it is the manager wants to do and are very good at following instructions with the understanding of why it is being asked of them. Yes they are usually less talented players but that is because a truly talented player doesn’t have to understand what it is he is doing he just has to do it. It’s why the most talented players often don’t succeed as managers because they have never been able to comprehend exactly what it is they are doing because they are always in the moment, rather than viewing it. Maradona, Pele, Best, the players I’ve mentioned above as well haven’t and are unlikely to make top managers in the game, in my humble opinion. As I say, they are so gifted they often don’t actually perceive what it is they are doing, whereas lesser players do – hence the likes of Rafa, Ferguson, Capello, Mourinho, Rodgers and many more ‘average’ footballers have gone on to be the very best coaches. Its one reason why I fear Steven Gerrard will never manage Liverpool, because he’s so fucking good.

It’s worth another consideration, and that’s general intelligence and management skills. The best players have often been idolised since they were 20 years old or so. The human brain for a majority of its life is learning and that translates into our life skills. Call me a cynic, but I’m not sure being idolised at the age of 20 is good for a young person in terms of their life and particularly people skills. Who apart from his boss did Michael Owen have to answer to at the age of 18?  It breeds arrogance in the persona, because at an age where 95% of people are having to work very hard to make a modest living and dealing with multiple people above, below, and all around them, a young extremely talented footballer is simply getting plaudits constantly for going out and doing something which he is very naturally good at. There’s little balance.  Add to that many of his academic years where other kids are at school whilst he is playing football, and they are also missing out on social skills and academic educations. Does that bode well long term for them to become a well-rounded human being?

There are other problems for the talented ones as well. Life after football is an issue for many talented players. Having missed out on vital social and academic skills there is the ‘what do I do now’ process because playing football is the only thing they have ever known. Suddenly that isn’t a way of making a living, the spotlight and perks are gone. Many go down a dark alley towards alcoholism or drug abuse, some get into punditry and some just get fat (I’m looking at you Ronaldo). The things that they missed out on because of their talent are now needed and at 35-40 the brain is becoming less and less spongy and isn’t a million miles away from actually regressing as it does in our latter years. It’s too late, really. Whereas the less talented players have watched and learnt, with less or no spotlight on them and have developed their people skills over the years because they were not of such a high status, and this leads to good people management as well as understanding the game which most top coaches at least, need in order to be successful.

Excellent thread this by the way – first time I’ve got round to posting in it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 04:32:13 pm by -Daws- »
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2013, 04:34:58 pm »

I liked Thompson too.

Offline Jizzinho

• Mr. Twanslatable methods
  • Main Stander
  • Ayre carumba!!!
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2013, 07:02:27 pm »
/snip/

To return to an analogy posted above, borrowed from Shankly, the team needs a conductor (or three), not a composer.

The team actually needs some crazy assed genius kids with attitude to drink, smoke, snort and **** their way to taking the music world by storm rather than having a continental producer using the latest Autotune software to deliver acceptable music for the sheeples.

I realise i'm torturing the analogy.

Offline Homo rubrum

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Knock it and run, son.
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2013, 11:26:36 pm »
Its one reason why I fear Steven Gerrard will never manage Liverpool, because he’s so fucking good.

I have been thinking more about Gerrard's game intelligence (or whatever it is we decided to call it) and I just keep going in circles.  At least in the context of his passing.

To explain where I am coming from- I am an ultimate (frisbee) player.  A sport very much in its nascent stages, and one with very limited tactical influence currently but with an almost limitless ceiling for tactical manipulation. Because the player with the disc cannot move from a pivot foot, and because he has up to ten seconds (once the defensive 'mark' is on him and counting) to move the disc on, the game can be reduced to a series of set plays.  Conversely, you are allowed to play a pass with still- moving feet if it occurs within two steps of the catch- in about twenty years, if it continues to popularize and develop at this rate, I'm predicting a Stoke v Barcelona tactical supremacy showdown (one side of which I have aspirations of championing).

For the purposes of this Gerrard discussion, though, the key here is every player has as much time as they could want to assess his or her options.  So actual passing ability is at a comparative premium.  Also because turnovers are much more important. 

When I am really feeling it, and my passing is on point, I almost stop seeing defenders, and I totally stop thinking about my throws.  A quick word to anyone who hasn't seen someone who knows what they are doing throw a disc, but you can make it bend either direction, or make it start one way then go the other, you can throw it in a helix if you hold it upside down, you can make it fall almost vertically out of the sky if you throw it on its side- you can even make it jump up and down vertically on straight line, if you want to get fancy.
I see the movement of a target player, my mind makes the calculation of where he'll be when my throw gets there, and the motion starts.  Only after I am watching it do I notice that I threw with an outswinging curve to avoid a congested area of the field. 
And I'm starting to think that Gerrard is in a similar situation because of his almost singular ability to play any kind of ball.   Any.  He can do with his feet and a ball what I can sometimes do with a disc.  When you are able to put that much bend on a pass (or topspin/backspin)- and your receiver is moving- it is almost impossible to prevent. 

So now I'm thinking- where is the intelligence?  Yeah, he's got to keep his head up to know where the players  on the field are, but after that isn't it just being intelligent enough to trust in his striking ability? 

Not that this is in any way an indictment on his mental abilities.  Simply put, I think the prodigious skill in his right foot has superseded his need for a brain, at least once he's on the ball- much like the point above about the truly greats never needing to learn the 'why' of their greatness. 

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2013, 12:07:17 am »
I think this is really getting to the point of the thread, and I think fundamentally that 'game intelligence' (without being very careful of what we mean by it) is of rather limited (and entirely subjective) value in assessing a player.

I can't play football to save my life. I have no pretensions to understanding the game at an individual, pitch level. But I stood on the Kop, over a period of about 15 years, watching and studying the very best Paisley-Fagan-Dalglish sides (and some less stellar Souness sides). Incidentally, the most impressive thing I ever heard Terry Venables say was that he always watched videos of a game from one end terrace, because you get a different - and better - view of shape and movement in the game, of banks of four, of players dropping into space, of the depth of the play.

Now, this doesn't make me a tactical expert, but I have found over the years I have some understanding of the shape and flow of a game, the cohesion and fluidity of a team, which seems to be lacking in many people I've met who can actually play (and also often it seems, pundits and players). Their focus is always on the individual - the battle against his opposite number, his responsibilities in any given situation, his weaknesses and his errors. But really this is natural. It's a reflection of their perspective of the game - of seeing it happen around them, at close quarters, at high speed, at ground level. If your experience of football is primarily as participant sport, it's natural that reflecting on the game you still often see it through the eyes of a participant. Even the view from the dugout or the bench (or to a lesser extent, the main TV cameras) is seeing the game almost from within it, compared to being stood halfway up the Kop. Over the last year or so I've watched my partner's son in youth games from the touchline and the difference is very obvious. You focus on the individuals, the exertions and the minutae of touch or contact, runs and restricted views and angles.

PoP, Yorkykopite and others write very eloquently about the technique and awareness required at the top level from an understanding of this viewpoint of a game (and that's not to imply they don't of other viewpoints). An intelligent player thus understands his immediate surroundings, the options available to him, how to create time and space for himself with the right type of touch or turn. The best, most intelligent players - and I think here we come back to a player like Souness (speaking of Yorkykopite and Souness, search for 'souness' by 'yorkykopite' and see the 2nd result) - ally a technical and intelligent mastery of their immediate surroundings with a broader awareness of the tempo and the ebb and flow of a game. But I think (using managerial and punditry evidence after the event), he still saw it all essentially from an individual perspective, from the centre of the pitch with the ebb and flow of battle all around him (the notion of 'midfield general' being quite apt). His understanding of momentum and tempo I think was a self-focused one; about stamping his authority on the game, seeing his immediate opponents chasing in vain, slowing the tempo to conserve energy.

But as PoP says, Souness - who had a decent managerial record, overall - didn't have remotely the 'managerial intelligence' of those he played under at Anfield. His teams reverted to the 'English stereotype' of expecting 11 individuals to win their personal battles. He recruited players like Saunders, Ruddock, Dicks and Paul Stewart - none of whom anyone would accuse of great football intelligence. Incidentally, Paul Stewart effectively ousted from the team a very intelligent young player, who was then sent to West Ham in the deal for Dicks. Thankfully, Mike Marsh is now back at Anfield and I think is going to make a very successful coach, at least. Marsh was something like a cross between Lucas and Joe Allen; I believe in one game he basically sat dictating the game in the middle of the park and completed something like 100 of 107 passes, or thereabouts. Souness (and every media pundit) preferred Jamie Redknapp, a player I always categorised as 'nice feet, no brain' (something like Jonjo Shelvey, if he had better feet).

Anyway. Does this have a point? Yes. Initially at the discussion of Souness, he's a challenge I think to the point Prof and I were making. He was undoubtedly an 'intelligent' player, who directed games (if partly at times by sheer force of will and arrogance, as much as intelligence and awareness). He understood momentum, tempo, flow. But ultimately it seems, he really understood them from that individual vantage point within the game. He didn't, as it transpired, particularly understand shape and tactics, or what sort of player was actually needed. He reverted to the blood and thunder of the stereotyped British manager, rather than the (apparent) intelligence and subtlety of the players he'd actually been surrounded with. That does beg the question of how much he actually understood the players around him that he'd played with for years, why they were the ones recruited and selected, what their important attributes were. In common with some other ex-Liverpool pundits, he appears to have pictured his own teammates of the past purely as mentally tough, combative, 'winners', ignoring awareness, technical ability and - of course - the system they had been playing within. How much of it did he really 'get'?

So the point - and coming back to the bolded bits - is that even a great, 'intelligent', player doesn't actually need to have (and very, very rarely has) 'managerial' type intelligence. He's not the manager's tactical substitute on the field. He can influence tempo and flow, because those happen around him. He can't influence shape and strategy, because he can't see them from within. But then a truly successful team needs all of it's components to be able to do that, in their sphere of the game. A single, driving, dominant force (inevitably restricted in it's own viewpoint of the action) is neither necessary or desirable, because his appreciation of the state of the game is incomplete, and his assertion of control can inhibit or be counter productive to others.

is my mind playing tricks ...i always thought souness swapped mike marsh ,budgie burrows plus cash for julian dicks?...might be wrong but its stuck in my head all these years
saw mike marsh play a pre season friendly at stafford rangers and he was center fireworks....had a stormer and i always assumed he was a striker.....shocked to see him playing full back under souness
but getting back on track,the discussions about zonal v man marking for me both work if the individual does his job right?
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2013, 12:56:12 am »
i was told mike marsh had the fastest feet at the club as a player.....dont know how intelligent that makes him - didn't somebody come out with a stat saying footballers are highly intelligent and Rooney's ability to compute certain spatial patterns etc was extraordinary/genius level due to the speed of connection (dont know what he's like with  a frisbee mind) - bet he'd struggle with a child proof lid though - so 'intelligence' itself is an ill defined concept  - emotional intelligence is another beaut - I presume different people simply have different tracks through the galaxy of connections we have in the old noggin - those tracks and rate of processing dicate the 'natural' ability - how they are generated and why certain people develop fast track routes to achieve whatever greatness they do will be a combination of genetics and nurture

I think you can train those abilities and yet certain people can do things instinctively without training and others have an ability to learn quickly which means others must learn slower and others have no instinctive ability

would knowing the game plan help players then - some yes, some no.  would triggers help some players know when to move, when to pass, would training them with those triggers - I dont think there are yes and no answers - for some no level of patience or informed training are going to make a difference for others they will

the managers job is to build  a team with people - real people - who'll all react individually - some managers will ditch those who dont conform - others will use those players and mould the system - I dont think there is a right or wrong answer for obtaining success - 'the system' is merely an integration of different components to achieve an objective - is the system therefore King? It can't be because the system will need to evolve - therefore the king is the person who designs the system?

any how now they are starting to map the connections between the various synapses maybe all will be revealed over the next few years - I'll be slightly disappointed when it is.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2013, 01:22:37 am »
Woah, after making a short post here in response to Redmark a few days ago, I return to find this wonderful discussion of ideas!

Can anyone suggest a text/article about sports psychology, specifically one that explores the meaning of sports/football 'intelligence'?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2013, 02:02:40 am »
Woah, after making a short post here in response to Redmark a few days ago, I return to find this wonderful discussion of ideas!

Can anyone suggest a text/article about sports psychology, specifically one that explores the meaning of sports/football 'intelligence'?

http://janderson99.hubpages.com/hub/Game-Intelligence-Soccer-Elite-Players-Have-It-How-to-Get-It

http://www.bettersoccermorefun.com/dwtext/insight.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120405092919.htm (this is a key one, because game intelligence is essentially "executive function". But the interesting thing is that executive function as a player and executive function as a manager/coach are different, which is why a lot of top coaches have a background in lower leagues/youth teams, or are anomalies in terms of ex-player-turned-manager).

http://www.soccereyeq.com/A5-Continuum%282193918%29.htm

Better looking than Samie.

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2013, 07:52:59 am »
A couple of points/questions for any coaches on here. How far can you coach in game intelligence and how much is it innate? My sense is that it's an aptitude that some players have and some don't have, or at least it's a sliding scale of that aptitude. And that you may be able to improve a player with coaching (and crucially by improving their technique), but do individuals have an upper limit for their executive function that you can't coach beyond? So for example, if a player is technically excellent and has reasonable executive function, they can control the ball quicker and get their body in the right position to play a through ball better than a player with better executive functions who sees the pass even earlier but maybe isn't technically as good? So it's a balance of the two. But, however technically good you get, if you don't have that brilliant executive function element you will never be world class? I think someone like Coutinho is a perfect example of the balance between the two elements, technically brilliant with highly intuitive executive function.

I have played a lot of different sports to different levels and it gave me an interesting perspective in a sense. The sports I was good at came easy in terms of doing things other players couldn't do and these were sports I had been coached at from a very young age, but sports I just picked up later for fun, I could see a pass but couldn't get my body in the right position to play what I could see. Very frustrating!

Just one more quick point alluded to by PoP there. I find the ex player turned manager thing very interesting. I long felt in England we thought ex players turned managers were the way to go. But so many good players are not great managers. It references back to earlier comments made on here re Souness as a player and as a manager. Two very different things and there are plenty of other examples. Bryan Robson, Mark Hughes, etc etc. Finally it seems that it is changing here, and that people can see the success of progressive managers who perhaps didn't play the game at the highest level but are clearly high class coaches, which is why I always felt Rodgers would be a cracking appointment. That tedious old school idea of jobs for the boys, for ex Englnd players as pundits and as managers might slowly be overturned and maybe we can get some of this enlightened new thinking not only into the English game but into the punditry we have to watch and really get to have a more interesting debate on this sport.
If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Online Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2013, 08:28:18 am »

I've often felt that Gerrard sometimes hasn't trusted some of his team mates, and has chosen to bypass them.  Almost like he knows they aren't on his level, or he feels that as he has to take responsibility.  He never had this issue with Alonso, Torres, Suarez, Owen etc. 

I think you're absolutely right there..

I'm coaching kids which can be pretty interesting because they can be pretty easy to read when you get to know them. From time to time, we set-up teams for matches
where the skills can differentiate pretty much. (6-a-side). In a couple of matches we probably had the least skilful player playing up front. Centre mid we alternate between
probably the two most skilful players. One of them is a very disciplined guy; always follow instructions and always plays the "right" ball up to the striker; normally with
no end-result.. The other one looks up, sees the alternative and go for a more difficult option or tries on his own.. Problem being that he plays the "correct" ball when there is
a good striker with higher likelihood of scoring playing..

It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2013, 09:38:04 am »
I think you can train those abilities and yet certain people can do things instinctively without training and others have an ability to learn quickly which means others must learn slower and others have no instinctive ability

would knowing the game plan help players then - some yes, some no.  would triggers help some players know when to move, when to pass, would training them with those triggers - I dont think there are yes and no answers - for some no level of patience or informed training are going to make a difference for others they will

the managers job is to build  a team with people - real people - who'll all react individually - some managers will ditch those who dont conform - others will use those players and mould the system - I dont think there is a right or wrong answer for obtaining success - 'the system' is merely an integration of different components to achieve an objective - is the system therefore King? It can't be because the system will need to evolve - therefore the king is the person who designs the system?

any how now they are starting to map the connections between the various synapses maybe all will be revealed over the next few years - I'll be slightly disappointed when it is.

On the practical build up of a team using individual human beings, it may be interesting to return to Shankly's description of a team being 2 playing the piano and 9 carrying it (or similar numbers). That may be a realistic proportion of players who can capture the moment without needing to be directed, or needing the team to fit around them, and players who need the team structure in order to contribute to the same impression of fluidity. If the first lot doesn't fit into the second lot, the team falls apart. If there are too many of the first lot, the team falls apart. In that sense, the second lot are more important to the conductor in chief, aka the manager. But any members of the first lot who can fit into the second lot, in a manageable proportion, will disproportionately improve the performance of the team.

If we accept this argument, I wonder what it says about Suarez. Gerrard was surely one of the first group in the past, but he seems to have fitted more and more into the second, and arguably we seem to look better as a result.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2013, 10:18:45 am »
i was told mike marsh had the fastest feet at the club as a player.....dont know how intelligent that makes him - didn't somebody come out with a stat saying footballers are highly intelligent and Rooney's ability to compute certain spatial patterns etc was extraordinary/genius level due to the speed of connection (dont know what he's like with  a frisbee mind) - bet he'd struggle with a child proof lid though - so 'intelligence' itself is an ill defined concept  - emotional intelligence is another beaut - I presume different people simply have different tracks through the galaxy of connections we have in the old noggin - those tracks and rate of processing dicate the 'natural' ability - how they are generated and why certain people develop fast track routes to achieve whatever greatness they do will be a combination of genetics and nurture

In the context of the thread and the point I was making, it was sloppy of me to call Marsh an 'intelligent' player. That was the impression I recall from watching him, but as you say (and as the thread is touching on), there are a lot of attributes that might be conflated with 'intelligence'; or 'intelligence' extrapolated beyond meaningful limits in the context of a player. Most of all on RAWK and 'game intelligence', I think it's particularly misused to take a player's awareness and mastery of his immediate surroundings and role, to a broader 'tactical intelligence', that isn't necessarily demonstrated, but more importantly, isn't really relevant or pertinent to a player's success in his role.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2013, 10:30:37 am »
is my mind playing tricks ...i always thought souness swapped mike marsh ,budgie burrows plus cash for julian dicks?...might be wrong but its stuck in my head all these years
saw mike marsh play a pre season friendly at stafford rangers and he was center fireworks....had a stormer and i always assumed he was a striker.....shocked to see him playing full back under souness
but getting back on track,the discussions about zonal v man marking for me both work if the individual does his job right?

Yes, Burrows/cash was involved in the deal, but not really pertinent to the point that Souness bought Paul Stewart to play a midfield role that Marsh would have been much more suitable for, if he was really seeking a 'Liverpool' pass and move side. Marsh played the 'second striker' role at times, but my own memories of him are that he was much more impressive in an orthodox central midfield role.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2013, 10:37:40 am »
Yes, Burrows/cash was involved in the deal, but not really pertinent to the point that Souness bought Paul Stewart to play a midfield role that Marsh would have been much more suitable for, if he was really seeking a 'Liverpool' pass and move side. Marsh played the 'second striker' role at times, but my own memories of him are that he was much more impressive in an orthodox central midfield role.

Stewart was a prolific scorer for Tottenham IIRC, and I got the impression that Souness was always on the lookout for the next big thing going by conventional wisdom. Not to put myself above him, as I was thinking the same way at the time, and it took me ages to understand why it wasn't working. But then I was a know nothing nobody, and he was the manager, and he should have been on a much higher level of understanding the game than I was.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2013, 11:12:19 am »
not one single 6 year old I have ever seen who hasn't been practising in the back garden can do keepy uppies. not one. We all coo and ahhh over the little maestros who come to organised football for the first time and do skills but they haven't plucked them out of the ether. Its all practice, some get it quicker just like some pass their driving test after 5 lessons and some (ahem) need 3 tests.
The whole of this post is excellent, but there are so many things I could comment on, I'm just choosing this bit at the moment.

Talent ID is an absolute minefield.  The evidence we have is that we don't know enough yet for it to work, unless we only look at physiological indicators.

For example, if we want a basketball player, looking at the parents gives us an idea of height, and there are specific cardiovascular and power based attributes we might be able to measure early which are relatively stable.

The practical application is the problem (and I persoanally think immoral) as it basically says, "based on your predispositions, you will get these chances, and others won't".  Therefore measuring the impact is invalid.

When you see your six year olds the first time, the kid (for grammar ease I'll assume it's a boy) who is the best is the one who gets the ball the most (because his mates pass to him) and gets the most attention off most coaches.  Therefore, he has the best chance to be the best 7 year old - ad infinitum.

The most important measure of potential success in athletes is actually their family background.  Not whether their parents were superstars, but do they have the emotional, financial and motivational support that is needed to make an athlete.

The application for me has to be around a concept that we create the best environment possible for each individual to succeed.

I'm coaching kids which can be pretty interesting because they can be pretty easy to read when you get to know them. From time to time, we set-up teams for matches where the skills can differentiate pretty much. (6-a-side). In a couple of matches we probably had the least skilful player playing up front. Centre mid we alternate between probably the two most skilful players. One of them is a very disciplined guy; always follow instructions and always plays the "right" ball up to the striker; normally with no end-result.. The other one looks up, sees the alternative and go for a more difficult option or tries on his own.. Problem being that he plays the "correct" ball when there is a good striker with higher likelihood of scoring playing..

This example is a microcosm of sport all around the world.  The fact you have said 'from time to time' is reassuring, but putting kids together with obviously huge skill differences creates a lot of challenges.  You can't move the weak kid down as he'll think he's playing with babies.  You could move the good kids up, but then is there room in the next age group?

The weak kid needs the coaching and the opportunity to receive the correct ball, but the midfielder who doesn't play the pass isn't interested in the other kid's development, he wants to win that game.

To get back to the point of this post, with correct practice, any one of those kids could be the gem that makes it to the top, even the striker.  It takes 10,000 hours of practice to reach the top of your potential in any field (sport, music, dance etc), so we need to recognise that some kids are further through their 10,000 than others.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2013, 11:44:14 am »
Stewart was a prolific scorer for Tottenham IIRC, and I got the impression that Souness was always on the lookout for the next big thing going by conventional wisdom. Not to put myself above him, as I was thinking the same way at the time, and it took me ages to understand why it wasn't working. But then I was a know nothing nobody, and he was the manager, and he should have been on a much higher level of understanding the game than I was.

That's just another aspect of Paisley/Fagan's team building approach Souness just didn't 'get' though - Stewart was three months short of 29 when we bought him, the age Paisley would be looking to sell a player who wasn't really top class (if I recall correctly, only Bob Bolder was older than Dalglish, at 26, as a Paisley signing; the vast majority were under 23).

Souness's actions and 'eye' as a manager beg real questions not just about the difference between 'player intelligence' and 'manager intelligence', but about how aware he actually was as a player of the makeup of the team around him; what attributes his own teammates had - and ultimately therefore, whether that really matters in a player. Whether his 'game intelligence' was rather a combination of technical ability, self awareness and sheer force of will. On the face of it, one of our most 'intelligent' players, in one of our greatest sides, but actually it appears he had a rather limited understanding of what was involved in making the team do what it did. One would think at the very least, he understood Rush's pace and Dalglish's touch, for example, as these affected his own game directly. Yet when looking to build his own team, he doesn't appear to have recognised these things. Stewart scored goals, he can play second striker/attacking midfield. The fact that his touch was abysmal and he couldn't pass don't seem to have registered as an issue. Several of his signings indicated an attempt to buy snarling, hard, arrogant players in his own image. Yet none of them had remotely the same technical ability, vision or awareness that Souness himself had. Did he not even truly recognise his own key attributes? Did he regard a level of technical ability as a 'given' and reduce football - again, in that individual vs individual analysis - to a test of character and mental toughness? Does that really demonstrate self-awareness and 'game intelligence', or an instinctive (innate or otherwise) approach?

The point of course, is that none of this actually mattered, as a player. Souness remains one of the best players ever to play for Liverpool. But these points do question just how important any degree of 'game intelligence' was to his overall game, compared to technical ability, mentality, speed of thought and execution - and to the performance of the team. Not least, in context of 'the system is king', because despite being regarded as irreplaceable, he was replaced - by Wark, McDonald, McMahon; all 'lesser' players. We lost a great player, but carried on winning.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:46:02 am by redmark »

Offline Jizzinho

• Mr. Twanslatable methods
  • Main Stander
  • Ayre carumba!!!
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2013, 12:40:14 pm »
/snip/

These are interesting questions posed however I feel that some conclusions that we have reached have already been determined before the facts are fully considered in the analysis.

If Souness didn’t “get” the advantage of youth, why introduce the likes of Fowler, Mcmanaman, Redknapp and Jones to build the team on?

If he didn’t “get” the need for technical proficiency how did he win title after title in Scotland?

As manager at Liverpool he took over a team that was aging and had a “soft” core with (according to him) low commitment levels. Did Kenny get any approbriation for allowing that situation to arise? Or of signing players like Downing, Coates, Carroll or Adam who may have had power, speed or technical ability but were missing the requisite character to succeed?

The fact is that character, which is expressed through the medium of the game as a form of intelligence which encompasses thought, instinct and execution, is vitally important in any competitive human activity. I think our conclusions may have been radically different about Dalglish and Souness had they swopped management eras.

I’m not, by the way, trying to deny that Souness had major failings as a manager only that there is so much “noise” in the system that it’s difficult to delineate a clear signal that “game intelligence” was the reason for his failure.

As a manager the “game” itself is different and encompasses the character of the players and the team as a necessity. As we have already noted, the job of managing other people and transmitting a vision for success is completely different to succeeding as an individual.

However, if conclusions are to be drawn from Souness’s failure we cannot simultaneously ignore those which sprang from his success.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2013, 12:56:19 pm »
The weak kid needs the coaching and the opportunity to receive the correct ball, but the midfielder who doesn't play the pass isn't interested in the other kid's development, he wants to win that game.

And, at grass roots I fear the parents and the 'coach' are primarily interested in winning.  I fervently hope that kids that make it to the academies tied to professional clubs benefit from a structure that understands improvement in players is FAR more important that short term wins. Up to quite a late age, I'm fairly sure we could take the biggest / fastest kids from each age group and play hoof ball and win most games.
Few coaches have the luxury of more than a hundred hours over a season to improve their players. And if they're bottom of the table by Christmas because they are working on improving every players' first touch, the pressure to play to win is immense.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2013, 01:30:26 pm »
And if they're bottom of the table by Christmas
What's the mistake here?

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2013, 01:43:05 pm »
What's the mistake here?

Having tables in the first place...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2013, 01:44:09 pm »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2013, 01:47:08 pm »
Having tables in the first place...

How else will we know who the best U8 coaches are? :D
Better looking than Samie.