539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1440135 times)

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
Re: Brexit Magic Flying Rainbow coloured Unicorn jolly tip-top-ho! Gosh! Thread.
« Reply #24400 on: August 16, 2019, 12:59:44 am »
I'm not exactly sure how yet, but I just can't see that this proposal and the thinking behind it hasn't got some kind of contingency, a careful calculation, for just such a thing to be able to occur.

It just wouldn't have been made otherwise, not with Murray and Milne behind it.

It's a trust thing. Do you trust them, really? Does anyone trust them other than the acolytes and the delirious?

Exactly.

Milne is the puppet master. Everything we know about him strongly suggests he’s just as wedded to Brexit as Johnson, Frottage, Cummings, Martin, Dyson, Banks, JRM, IDS, Widdecombe, Patel, et al.

And I am unconvinced a No Deal Brexit isn’t Milne’s Brexit of choice. Politically, it’s just expedient to position Corbyn as the champion of the movement to prevent it. It’s Machiavellian, but entirely plausible.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brexit Magic Flying Rainbow coloured Unicorn jolly tip-top-ho! Gosh! Thread.
« Reply #24401 on: August 16, 2019, 01:25:52 am »
And I am unconvinced a No Deal Brexit isn’t Milne’s Brexit of choice. Politically, it’s just expedient to position Corbyn as the champion of the movement to prevent it. It’s Machiavellian, but entirely plausible.
tiny problem is he’s about 3 years late to that party

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #24402 on: August 16, 2019, 01:52:32 am »
Keep in mind the timeline. VoNC happens when? End of October, last moment possible? That's first week sorting out extension and brass tacks of new government. We're into November. Five weeks to call an election, that's mid-December and sucks nuts for turnout reasons - which is why we've not had one in December post-war. Decision is, after consultation, pushed to after Parliament's Christmas recess. Election is called first full week back, the election is mid-to-late February (making it only the third post-war election as early as February). They've six or seven weeks of Parliamentary time to fill. Anyone going to bring down the government if the SoS for the DWP reports the Universal Credit regulations need urgent amending? Or the Home Secretary says there's an absolute disaster been going on and some quick fixes need rushing through? And so on. Asquith > Clegg > Swinson would be the treble for the Lib Dems.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24403 on: August 16, 2019, 02:20:47 am »
Keep in mind the timeline. VoNC happens when? End of October, last moment possible? That's first week sorting out extension and brass tacks of new government. We're into November. Five weeks to call an election, that's mid-December and sucks nuts for turnout reasons - which is why we've not had one in December post-war. Decision is, after consultation, pushed to after Parliament's Christmas recess. Election is called first full week back, the election is mid-to-late February (making it only the third post-war election as early as February). They've six or seven weeks of Parliamentary time to fill. Anyone going to bring down the government if the SoS for the DWP reports the Universal Credit regulations need urgent amending? Or the Home Secretary says there's an absolute disaster been going on and some quick fixes need rushing through? And so on. Asquith > Clegg > Swinson would be the treble for the Lib Dems.
Am not sure what you mean Zeb your usually clued up on these things but the VONC in MAY was called on the 15th Jan and the vote took place the following day.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #24404 on: August 16, 2019, 03:05:34 am »
Am not sure what you mean Zeb your usually clued up on these things but the VONC in MAY was called on the 15th Jan and the vote took place the following day.

Yeah, that's right. Sorry, that wasn't the clearest. I'm saying that the VoNC has happened, Johnson's thrown a wobbler, MPs have convinced the Queen to call X to have tea with her, and X is now the PM but only just in time for the last week of October and to request and accept an extension before Thursday, 31st October. [edit: if it helps with figuring out the timing, 17/18th October is the European Council meeting so that's the cutoff point for legislative attempts to force Johnson to request an extension. So there's a clear week after that to try and have the VoNC and begin trying to form a government etc.]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 04:42:27 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24405 on: August 16, 2019, 07:01:06 am »
I'm not exactly sure how yet, but I just can't see that this proposal and the thinking behind it hasn't got some kind of contingency, a careful calculation, for just such a thing to be able to occur.

It just wouldn't have been made otherwise, not with Murray and Milne behind it.

It's a trust thing. Do you trust them, really? Does anyone trust them other than the acolytes and the delirious?
No, but I trust basic maths. A minority government in this house won't be able to do anything beyond a narrow scope pre-agreed with all of its backers.

If Murray, Milne and Corbyn want a no deal - and I certainly don't rule that out - then Corbyn will act a twat in discussions with the other parties and then refuse to support any other minority PM - or even refuse to bring a VONC. That would give a good chance of a no deal with plausible deniability for the resulting fallout and general election.

But the first point I was responding to was on the idea that a Corbyn minority government could try and cling on to power for months and enact radical non-Brexit related legislation. I think that's nonsense.

Though to repeat, I'd rather the Stop-No-Deal PM was someone else, a senior figure like Ken Clarke. If anything, Swinson's slight overplaying of the Lib Dems' hand has made the choice between Corbyn and No Deal more likely as she's backed him into a lose-lose position, which wasn't smart politics. But if the Change UK MPs are going to scupper even the VONC, this may all be moot anyway.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24406 on: August 16, 2019, 07:33:09 am »
Cannot describe my hatred(always disliked them  :wanker)for the lib dems since that Tory loving bitch got elected party leader a few weeks ago  :wanker :no

You selfish 2 faced cow labour and Corbyn are HM official opposition party!
Not you and the spineless snake chukka umumma 

Kinder gentler politics. Gendered offensive language, name calling, suspicious targeting of only one of the many to leave Labour aswell. You’re like every hard left troll on here and on Twitter.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24407 on: August 16, 2019, 07:49:15 am »
Kinder gentler politics. Gendered offensive language, name calling, suspicious targeting of only one of the many to leave Labour aswell. You’re like every hard left troll on here and on Twitter.
the one who happens to be a black man who doesn’t bow down to corbyn or the labour party, the same people who attack minority Tories on racial lines not their (lack of) competency

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #24408 on: August 16, 2019, 08:49:35 am »
No, I don’t agree. 

I don’t agree with what he says, but if I’m going to describe Corbyn asa useless c*nt, he’s got every right to do the same to Swinson
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #24409 on: August 16, 2019, 08:50:05 am »
Cannot describe my hatred(always disliked them  :wanker)for the lib dems since that Tory loving bitch got elected party leader a few weeks ago  :wanker :no

You selfish 2 faced cow labour and Corbyn are HM official opposition party!
Not you and the spineless snake chukka umumma 

Utterly bemused by this visceral hatred for the Lib Dem’s, proper Life of Brian splitter stuff.

As a Lib Dem I can understand you don’t think we’re far enough to the left, albeit some of our progressive policies definitely have been and in all honesty should’ve been Labour inceptions in the first place, but ultimately in my head that’s what the Party system should be about as no one has a monopoly on good ideas.

But at its core most would accept the Lib Dem’s are a sensible party and more often than not with their view of the would would be on the same page as Labour.  From my part I would always feel comfortable with a Labour government because I know they’re ‘like me’. The far bigger issue is the rapacious capitalism of the Conservatives, that has to be faced down at every opportunity. It’s obviously why we managed to shoot ourselves in the foot , abdomen, leg , arm and head by the death cult alliance with the Conservatives , I know we’d preached working with anyone but it was of course never meant to be with that lot. Never the less as was seen when we weren’t with them we tempered their worst instincts and we got genuinely groundbreaking policies like the £12500 tax allowance through to the top table.  Regardless it was horrible and left me party less for years, we’ll never really know , both Labour and Lib Dem blame each other saying the other was to blame for not working together but it’s a crying shame it didn’t work as our nation would be a wholly better place now.

I’ve got to say though Nayia2002 this sort of shit above is the perfect demonstration of the infighting that allows the Tories in, it certainly has allowed them to force Brexit on us and unless we stop this playground fighting soon could well have No Deal thrust upon us.  It’s short termism of the worst type and we have to thing longer and more constructively. Tactical voting is one aspect but it’s sticking plaster.

The issue is the first past the post system, and here Labour needs to take its own responsibility, it should’ve seen the long term benefit from PR and backed the Lib Dem referendum as it would’ve marginalised the Tories for a long time. Most people in this country vote centrist and left and its a crying shame that the Conservatives manage to play the system so well that they derive power so often. 

Cue the first person now to rush in with tuition fees and Tory collaborators as if every party doesn’t have fuck off skeletons of their own to be embarrassed about.

So Nayia2002 what I’m saying is if you can’t even work with the likes of us placid Inbetweeners then you’ve got little chance of government again if the landscape looks like changing to this multi party system for the foreseeable.
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #24410 on: August 16, 2019, 08:57:58 am »
What I find funny about the Blairites for months they were saying that the country needs is a 2nd Ref, and as soon as  Jeremy agreed to a 2nd Referendum in all circumstances they went oh fuck and then when to immediately campaigning for a National Unity Government.

Why do you keep saying 'Blairites' - what is the actual point you are personally making here?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24411 on: August 16, 2019, 08:58:49 am »
Why do you keep saying 'Blairites' - what is the actual point you are personally making here?
because he’s copied it off twitter/Facebook.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #24412 on: August 16, 2019, 09:07:58 am »
Utterly bemused by this visceral hatred for the Lib Dem’s, proper Life of Brian splitter stuff.

Bemused? You shouldn't be.

For the far left, the true enemy aren't the Tories or other right wing parties - they are their opponents and are truly necessary for their existence. They can campaign against them, rage against their policies and uncaring actions, sometimes beating them in elections (in theory), more often losing to them (and let's face it, they probably secretly prefer that as it avoids the messy compromises of actually governing).

No, their true enemy are other parties of the left and centre-left - be they social democrats or liberals. Because those parties show that progressive politics can be successful, both electorally and in governing, without being stuck in the old far left mindset. And in doing so, render the existence of the far left as redundant (certainly as a serious electoral force). That's why you'll see their really visceral hatred directed at those parties you might expect to be political allies.

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #24413 on: August 16, 2019, 09:44:14 am »
That’s an answer to a different question...

Go back and answer my question...  I don’t know the answer too it, I don’t have an answer, I'm interested in what others think

No he shouldn't step aside and I'm 100% sure no other opposition leader(past/present/future) would allow a back bench mp to lead a  TEMPORARY government until a GE.
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24414 on: August 16, 2019, 09:51:50 am »

It's all well and good calling Corbyn a c*nt/tw*t and every other word under the sun!
Some of you need to get off your high horses!

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #24415 on: August 16, 2019, 09:55:22 am »
The Lib Dem's have done plenty to erode any amount of trust or affection they might have from genuinely left leaning voters.

It really isn't a case of they're disliked because they're moderate or centrists, they're disliked because they enabled the Tories to implement nasty, damaging and cruel austerity *this decade* much of which is still being felt, still fresh in the memories of most.

They also flip flopped on their one actual policy which garnered them some amount of votes to even enable them to be able to cosign on austerity in that whole tuition fee fuck up.

Now here we are again and for the second time in my life the Lib Dems are ready to fuck shit up and undermine the one thing they claim to stand for.

They earned any and all of the vitriol they get.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #24416 on: August 16, 2019, 09:58:42 am »
No he shouldn't step aside and I'm 100% sure no other opposition leader(past/present/future) would allow a back bench mp to lead a  TEMPORARY government until a GE.

Every government is temporary.

I actually think Corbyn is perfectly correct that he should have the first chance of forming a government. The question is who gets the chance after he fails.

----

Thought this was interesting on how voters have responded to the past few years in politics in terms of their trust in democracy and MPs etc. Via Will Jennings, one of Sky's boffins as well as a few other things including his academic career.

Spoiler

[close]

Obviously, you can draw your own conclusions about likely future trends given whichever outcome you see as being most likely or preferable.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:06:01 am by Zeb »

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24417 on: August 16, 2019, 10:01:40 am »

Read your history. A government with a working majority has allowed the opposition to name a replacement leader in the past.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #24418 on: August 16, 2019, 10:02:33 am »
Remembering BJ's tactics for disposing of Gove in the leadership election, I wouldn't be surprised to see a steady stream of Tories 'joining' Corbyn's call for a VoNC to give it a false momentum.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #24419 on: August 16, 2019, 10:07:11 am »
Corbyn is going to need quite a few Tories, because it seems a few former Labour Indepedents aren't exactly rushing to vote for him as PM.

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24420 on: August 16, 2019, 10:08:07 am »

So Nayia2002 what I’m saying is if you can’t even work with the likes of us placid Inbetweeners then you’ve got little chance of government again if the landscape looks like changing to this multi party system for the foreseeable.

She has refused to work/cooperate with the oppision party leader to support a vonc and lead a gonu to stop no deal and call a GE which all other party leaders have accepted!

She's a lying selfish 2 faced tory bitch!

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brexit Magic Flying Rainbow coloured Unicorn jolly tip-top-ho! Gosh! Thread
« Reply #24421 on: August 16, 2019, 10:10:44 am »
I think this is playing out as expected up to now, it all depends on whether Corbyn makes a bad tactical error. he is leader of the opposition, he should be the person who has the first chance to form a government so there's nothing wrong with him asking other parties to form a government with him, this is how things have always worked, the Lib Dems see Corbyn as a remainer they can't trust, they don't trust him and would never endorse him as leader so it's no suprise to hear them say they won't support him but this is the first stage, it's a opportunity for the Lib Dems to show the country they are not willing to jump into bed with Corbyn unless they are given no choice, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Lib Dems walked away telling Corbyn he has to allow another leader to be chosen or we will finish up with a no deal. Corbyn will go on record saying he's not prepared to allow another MP to be leader, imo the Lib Dems will back down and support him and we hopefully win the VONC,
Corbyn now has to campaign to win a GE, the Lib Dems will rip him apart for being prepared to allow us to crash out with no deal unless he became leader, being leader was more important to Corbyn than stopping a no deal.
a fair analysis but I believe the lib dems wont support him though.
this is on Corbyn and he knows it no matter what his aficionados think
swinson is playing a blinder throwing out names such as Clarke and harman( although am looking forward to seeing the abuse both get for daring to consider the job)
if Corbyn is so self absorbed that he would rather have a no deal  go through than not be elected then the lib dems will destroy labour at the next elections
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:17:38 am by naka »

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #24422 on: August 16, 2019, 10:13:09 am »
The Lib Dem's have done plenty to erode any amount of trust or affection they might have from genuinely left leaning voters.

It really isn't a case of they're disliked because they're moderate or centrists, they're disliked because they enabled the Tories to implement nasty, damaging and cruel austerity *this decade* much of which is still being felt, still fresh in the memories of most.

They also flip flopped on their one actual policy which garnered them some amount of votes to even enable them to be able to cosign on austerity in that whole tuition fee fuck up.

Now here we are again and for the second time in my life the Lib Dems are ready to fuck shit up and undermine the one thing they claim to stand for.

Thank you.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24423 on: August 16, 2019, 10:14:43 am »
Corbyn hasn't got a chance of commanding a majority in the HoC.

It's hard to see him commanding their respect either. 

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24424 on: August 16, 2019, 10:17:10 am »

She has refused to work/cooperate with the oppision party leader to support a vonc and lead a gonu to stop no deal and call a GE which all other party leaders have accepted!

If you think this kind of ranting does anything to convince those of us who are no fans of the current Labour leadership that we are wrong in our views, I can assure you, you are very much mistaken.

Back on the issue in hand, I haven't seen much to change my view from yesterday, if Corbyn can get close enough in terms of support from other MPs, so that he can form a GNU with LD support the LDs wll fall in line after having an approriate length grump about it, but it looks even less likely today than yesterday that Corbyn can get those votes from elsewhere.

In short the LDs will fall in line if Corbyn gets the numbers (you can already see indications of this) but he almost certainly won't get the numbers.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #24425 on: August 16, 2019, 10:18:47 am »

As I said skeletons. If the electorate can forgive an illegal war with 100’s of thousands dead they can forgive being called to power at the countries greatest need since the Second World War.  As I said all conjecture but with labour pulling the Yes Prime Minister/New Statesmen trick of leaving the next lot to clear up your own shit whilst they rebuild and snipe from the sidelines. Even with little comedy notes to say the moneys all gone.

Dead dead easy to throw stones from glass houses but we all end shredded because every party has blood on their hands
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24426 on: August 16, 2019, 10:21:49 am »
As I said skeletons. If the electorate can forgive an illegal war with 100’s of thousands dead they can forgive being called to power at the countries greatest need since the Second World War.  As I said all conjecture but with labour pulling the Yes Prime Minister/New Statesmen trick of leaving the next lot to clear up your own shit whilst they rebuild and snipe from the sidelines. Even with little comedy notes to say the moneys all gone.

Dead dead easy to throw stones from glass houses but we all end shredded because every party has blood on their hands

All political parties fuck you over in the end, Labour have just done it more recently and under current leadership as far as I am concerned!

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24427 on: August 16, 2019, 10:23:00 am »

That’s true...

And we shouldn’t forget that the Lib Dem’s supported the Tories because they wanted to change the voting system to make politics in this country  fairer

It would have revolutionised the way our country worked.  That was an admirable aspiration.. 
W

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #24428 on: August 16, 2019, 10:25:34 am »

🤣 half his own MP’s can’t stand Corbyn and you’re worrying about what the LIb Dems have to say, which btw is the main reason she’s saying she can’t work with him because any concept of unity goes out of the window with the Labour and Tory MP’s who won’t work with him.

Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24429 on: August 16, 2019, 10:25:52 am »

100% well said mate

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #24430 on: August 16, 2019, 10:26:44 am »
That’s true...

And we shouldn’t forget that the Lib Dem’s supported the Tories because they wanted to change the voting system to make politics in this country  fairer

It would have revolutionised the way our country worked.  That was an admirable aspiration.. 

That’s the biggest regret and missed opportunity I believe . Would’ve genuinely improved this countries democracy
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24431 on: August 16, 2019, 10:27:08 am »
🤣 half his own MP’s can’t stand Corbyn and you’re worrying about what the LIb Dems have to say, which btw is the main reason she’s saying she can’t work with him because any concept of unity goes out of the window with the Labour and Tory MP’s who won’t work with him.

It’s about 80% who don’t have confidence in him...

Plus there are Tories who will say they will support a vonc just to screw up the numbers
W

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #24432 on: August 16, 2019, 10:28:45 am »
Bemused? You shouldn't be.

For the far left, the true enemy aren't the Tories or other right wing parties - they are their opponents and are truly necessary for their existence. They can campaign against them, rage against their policies and uncaring actions, sometimes beating them in elections (in theory), more often losing to them (and let's face it, they probably secretly prefer that as it avoids the messy compromises of actually governing).

No, their true enemy are other parties of the left and centre-left - be they social democrats or liberals. Because those parties show that progressive politics can be successful, both electorally and in governing, without being stuck in the old far left mindset. And in doing so, render the existence of the far left as redundant (certainly as a serious electoral force). That's why you'll see their really visceral hatred directed at those parties you might expect to be political allies.

I can recognise this 100%
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24433 on: August 16, 2019, 10:29:35 am »
That’s the biggest regret and missed opportunity I believe . Would’ve genuinely improved this countries democracy
Indeed....

And in response they promised to support the Tories.

Now the general feeling is that they shouldn’t have done this and they should have gone back on their word.

However, we also want politicians who are honest and do what they actually say...

So it’s complex.
W

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24434 on: August 16, 2019, 10:29:58 am »
100% well said mate
And all without a hint of misogyny. You should take note.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #24435 on: August 16, 2019, 10:31:27 am »

If I had any sort of confidence the Lib Dems wouldn't do it all over again if afforded the opportunity I might agree they should be cut some slack, alas here we are and the first opportunity they have to act like the sensible centrists they claim to be and avoid no deal and Swinson steams out of the traps to make a needless and reckless move which flies in the face of what the party has claimed it stands for.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24436 on: August 16, 2019, 10:33:00 am »
If I had any sort of confidence the Lib Dems wouldn't do it all over again if afforded the opportunity I might agree they should be cut some slack, alas here we are and the first opportunity they have to act like the sensible centrists they claim to be and avoid no deal and Swinson steams out of the traps to make a needless and reckless move which flies in the face of what the party has claimed it stands for.
What reckless move is that?

(Bit lost here)
W

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #24437 on: August 16, 2019, 10:33:47 am »

Plus there are Tories who will say they will support a vonc just to screw up the numbers

I was plucking figures I honestly don’t know

So regardless of what I think about the Corbyn- Momentum- Watson spat it just rams how the fuck anyone can start reviling the Lib Dem’s when their own party is utterly dysfunctional and unfit for purpose

Oh and by the way that doesn’t make me happy this country desperately needs a strong Labour , unfortunately it’s balsa wood at the mo.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:35:31 am by fudge »
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24438 on: August 16, 2019, 10:35:54 am »
At this stage its not even clear the numbers are there to pass a VONC never mind to get a GNU in play.

The remaining Change MPs saying they won't support a VONC unless its clear there are the numbers in Parliament to get a GNU inp place, otherwise the VONC would just allow Johnson to run out the time on Article 50 by calling an election after it had expired

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24439 on: August 16, 2019, 10:37:52 am »

Probably a bit early to call it a reckless move, no? Maybe if the VONC had already been tabled by Labour as hoped, it could be argued to be potentially reckless.

Labour's prioritising of a bukake over a couple of hundred SWP weirdos in parliament square over tabling the motion, as it stands, is looking far more reckless and concerning at this point.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:39:57 am by Classycara »