Author Topic: Corners- why are we so poor at them? (Dates from 2005)  (Read 75542 times)

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
Re: Corners- why are we so poor at them?
« Reply #760 on: February 20, 2020, 11:16:13 am »
Note the league average given before of about 4% of corners scored, was it? So 1/25 corners scored/conceded is performing to par. Condensing from 1/120 corners is absurd, then - we're over quadruple the league average, and as said above we actually break terrifyingly from them too. Those Chelsea and Utd figures are dreadful. Presumably they don't do any real coaching with it at all, or use a system which is unsuitable for their players.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #761 on: February 20, 2020, 11:31:40 am »

The real question here is why, when we are the best team at corners in the PL, we opted to take half of them short against Atletico. From his reaction VVD would appear to agree.

About the only way teams can defend against VVD is to rugby tackle him so in the second leg we should put it into the mixer and have the crowd and players scream for a penalty every time.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #762 on: February 20, 2020, 11:36:04 am »
I guess the idea against Atletico was to move them out of their defensive shape for corners by moving the ball around and changing the angle.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #763 on: February 20, 2020, 11:41:30 am »
I guess the idea against Atletico was to move them out of their defensive shape for corners by moving the ball around and changing the angle.
I really don't understand why people are so against short corners. If you want to cross the ball in, would you, ideally, choose to do it from the corner flag?
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: February 20, 2020, 12:14:04 pm »
I really don't understand why people are so against short corners. If you want to cross the ball in, would you, ideally, choose to do it from the corner flag?

The problem is that we ended up either not putting the ball in at all due to or putting it in from too far back which is easier to defend. Short corners are essential for variety and to prevent the opposition from setting up the same way every time but if you have a dead ball opportunity with all of your best headers of the ball in the box, it is insane not to do so more times than not.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #765 on: February 20, 2020, 12:22:38 pm »
The real question here is why, when we are the best team at corners in the PL, we opted to take half of them short against Atletico. From his reaction VVD would appear to agree.

Just a guess but as Atleti have conceded the most set piece goals in La Liga this season, our analysts had presumably spotted something relevant.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #766 on: February 20, 2020, 03:26:46 pm »
This thread dates from 2005 btw Mr Beasley. Don’t be dissing the site on Twitter ya fanny.  :no
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Re: Corners- why are we so poor at them? (Dates from 2005)
« Reply #767 on: February 20, 2020, 03:27:48 pm »
We're also so good at corners that we end up scoring from other teams' ones too
Yes. We’re lethal.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #768 on: February 20, 2020, 03:40:24 pm »

The advantage to the straight corner is that you can't be offside from it.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #769 on: February 20, 2020, 03:45:07 pm »
This thread dates from 2005 btw Mr Beasley. Don’t be dissing the site on Twitter ya fanny.  :no

Sorry. Was more the point that we're bad at corners is wrong, rather than dissing RAWK.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #770 on: February 20, 2020, 04:00:00 pm »

Variety is important to keep defenders guessing and to try and catch them sleeping or work a better angle.

What isn't good is hitting the first man time and time again. It's a cardinal sin in football.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline scutty

• Kopite
  • Know nothing.
« Reply #771 on: February 20, 2020, 04:37:01 pm »
Goobs.

Like some have said, I think it just seems like that because corners have a low conversion rate, has it turns out we're pretty good at attacking and defending corners.

Take no mind of the piss takers, half of them will have had to check the stats before deciding whether to agree or not 🤔

P. S.

It would have made for a shite thread though 😉
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 04:38:39 pm by scutty »
Why was my post deleted?

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #772 on: February 20, 2020, 05:30:36 pm »

In response to the above title, anybody here remember The End- Another Wasted Corner in the 80's?
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #773 on: February 21, 2020, 08:20:40 am »
Sorry. Was more the point that we're bad at corners is wrong, rather than dissing RAWK.

Apologies for the snippy post mate. I’m just protective of the site - it gets flak like none of the other sites despite so many good writers, sites and sundry other things having pecked their way out of their eggs here. It happens occasionally with TAW and I swear at the phone.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: February 21, 2020, 08:34:34 am »
PS I’m no longer a social media type other than in very select contexts, but your twitter feed is one of my few bookmarked links (hence me noticing).

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #775 on: February 21, 2020, 09:09:14 am »
Everybody knows Manchester United are the best at taking corners.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: February 21, 2020, 10:14:15 am »
What isn't good is hitting the first man time and time again. It's a cardinal sin in football.

It really isn't a cardinal sin. Its a consequence of trying to deliver a good corner. One that is played with pace and stays flat. Ideally, you need your corner to miss the first man by a couple of inches, but by trying to do that you're going to bring him into play more often.

The alternative is just to float a corner into the middle of the box or towards the back post, which not only gives the defenders a massive advantage, it also means its more likely that the 'keeper can come and claim it. Even if an attacking player gets to it, the lack of pace on the ball makes it much more difficult to score as they will need to generate the pace themselves. Or they will be too far out to do anything.

In short, I dislike anyone who trots out the cliche around not beating the first man from a set-piece. Any footballer in the World could do it if they tried. But they aren't putting in a corner with the aim of beating the first man, they're putting in a corner with the aim of providing the best possible chance to score.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #777 on: February 21, 2020, 10:18:32 am »

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: February 21, 2020, 10:35:30 am »
It really isn't a cardinal sin. Its a consequence of trying to deliver a good corner. One that is played with pace and stays flat. Ideally, you need your corner to miss the first man by a couple of inches, but by trying to do that you're going to bring him into play more often.

The alternative is just to float a corner into the middle of the box or towards the back post, which not only gives the defenders a massive advantage, it also means its more likely that the 'keeper can come and claim it. Even if an attacking player gets to it, the lack of pace on the ball makes it much more difficult to score as they will need to generate the pace themselves. Or they will be too far out to do anything.

In short, I dislike anyone who trots out the cliche around not beating the first man from a set-piece. Any footballer in the World could do it if they tried. But they aren't putting in a corner with the aim of beating the first man, they're putting in a corner with the aim of providing the best possible chance to score.

This is really well said.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #779 on: February 21, 2020, 11:05:49 am »
Apologies for the snippy post mate. I’m just protective of the site - it gets flak like none of the other sites despite so many good writers, sites and sundry other things having pecked their way out of their eggs here. It happens occasionally with TAW and I swear at the phone.

No worries at all mate, no need to apologise. Up the Reds.

Offline BTGH

• Anny Roader
« Reply #780 on: February 21, 2020, 01:59:45 pm »
To be fair I find it amusing to watch van Dijk when we take a short corner and lose it or play it back to Gomez on halfway. Safe to say he's not a fan of playing it short!

obviously we have scored quite a few from corner kicks, most of the time from direct kicks, so not sure why we would waste so many playing it short against AM.  Does not look like those short corners were well practised

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #781 on: February 21, 2020, 02:00:10 pm »

In response to the above title, anybody here remember The End- Another Wasted Corner in the 80's?

It got a couple of mentions on the previous page.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #782 on: February 21, 2020, 02:02:22 pm »
It got a couple of mentions on the previous page.  :)
soz lads, deal with the page in front of me and that's it.  Lazt tw@ I know.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #783 on: February 21, 2020, 03:17:45 pm »

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: February 21, 2020, 07:01:11 pm »
No worries at all mate, no need to apologise. Up the Reds.

Marvellous. :)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #785 on: February 21, 2020, 07:03:47 pm »
That's insane!

Hence my horror when we conceded from a corner on Tuesday. I used to dread giving corners away but that fear has long gone. But......... ;)

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: March 16, 2023, 01:07:33 am »
Are we shit again at corners?

Offline BassTunedToRed

• Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #787 on: March 16, 2023, 04:48:54 pm »
Are we shit again at corners?

Not really, scored nine league goals from them this season. Tottenham (12), Arsenal (11) and Fulham (10) have more, but not by much.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #788 on: March 16, 2023, 11:15:30 pm »
Fuck corners when was the last time we kept possession from a throw in? Drives me mad, we might as well just throw the ball straight to the opposition or let them have all the bloody throw ins.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #789 on: March 16, 2023, 11:17:53 pm »
Fuck corners when was the last time we kept possession from a throw in? Drives me mad, we might as well just throw the ball straight to the opposition or let them have all the bloody throw ins.
That won't work. We are poor to the second balls too...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: March 17, 2023, 06:01:14 am »
Not really, scored nine league goals from them this season. Tottenham (12), Arsenal (11) and Fulham (10) have more, but not by much.

that is reassuring - just my recency bias from the other night, was desperate for a Virgil goal. That one pinged in low by Trent could've done some damage another day

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #791 on: March 17, 2023, 08:02:35 am »
What happened to that throw in coach we got?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #792 on: March 17, 2023, 08:08:35 am »

Noticed in recent matches opposition players seem to swarm around us when we have a throw in.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: March 17, 2023, 08:36:48 am »

Injured

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: March 17, 2023, 09:54:54 am »
Noticed in recent matches opposition players seem to swarm around us when we have a throw in.

Also why does Trent take an age to take a throw in? I have never seen a player take so long, apart from time wasters.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #795 on: March 17, 2023, 09:58:29 am »
He chucked it in.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #796 on: March 17, 2023, 03:25:25 pm »
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #797 on: March 17, 2023, 07:41:59 pm »

It's been happening for the last 3 seasons at least. It annoys the crap out of me. We've conceded from it more than once directly and several times indirectly.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Online Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #798 on: March 17, 2023, 07:50:52 pm »
Man when I saw this bumped and opened it, it opened on February 2020, that may have broken my heart.

Offline worthers

• originals
  • Legacy Fan
"We can not walk alone" Martin Luther King 1963

In nine years, Paisley won three European Cups, a Uefa Cup, six League titles and three League Cups. He won three European Cups in nine years, while Mr Ferguson has managed two in 24.