Author Topic: Corners- why are we so poor at them? (Dates from 2005)  (Read 75692 times)

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
Re: Corners!!
« Reply #720 on: November 27, 2016, 10:56:29 am »
Skrtel scored twice when we beat Arsenal 5-1 in the 13/14 season
We got 2 at Palace last month from Matip and Lovren sorry to correct you.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #721 on: November 27, 2016, 11:10:33 am »
It's no coincidence that we always seem to do much better when the team is competent at set pieces (at both ends).
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #722 on: November 27, 2016, 11:12:53 am »
We got 2 at Palace last month from Matip and Lovren sorry to correct you.

The post asking when the last time was, and subsequent answer was straight after the palace match.....

Offline Hash91

• Anny Roader
« Reply #723 on: November 27, 2016, 11:15:12 am »
Skrtel scored twice when we beat Arsenal 5-1 in the 13/14 season

Wasn't the first Skrtel goal from a freekick?

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: November 27, 2016, 11:15:23 am »
And they all missed Sakho and Lovren against Dortmund anyway.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: November 27, 2016, 12:58:23 pm »
And they all missed Sakho and Lovren against Dortmund anyway.

Lovrens was from a free kick. Arguably from open play following the free kick.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #726 on: November 27, 2016, 03:11:14 pm »
One element of our play that has significantly improved under Jurgen Klopp. Lovren & Csn seemed a constant threat to Sunderland yesterday.

Offline Goobs10

• Main Stander
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #727 on: February 19, 2020, 10:29:36 pm »
I wanted to create a thread on this but I haven't done enough posts.  Just wanted to put this out there as it's been annoying me.  What Liverpool have done this season and the run they are on is simple ridiculous so obviously it's difficult to criticize them and Klopp.

However, why are we so utterly inept from corners?! It's an observation I've made from watching a number of Liverpool games this season which seems to have gone unnoticed, presumably because we are still winning the games anyway.

What I've noticed as a constant theme is that either we piss about playing it short and mess it up resulting in no cross coming into the box, or the cross that does come in straight from the corner very rarely gets past the first defender and is easily headed away.

Robertson is the worst offender.  It drives me mental.  Trent is better but his deliveries are also not getting above the first defender far too often.

When you have someone in the box who is such a threat from set pieces like van diyk waiting for a delivery that never reaches him, it baffles me why Klopp doesn't address it.

Robertson's crosses into the box from open play where he doesn't have to kick it as far and can slide it along the floor across the box are fine but he seems to lack the technique to get the ball into the box from a corner.  He should be either taken off corner duty or given technique coaching.

These guys are professional footballers who should be able to kick the ball into the box from a corner!

Compare Liverpool's corners to City.  I have just watched the City game tonight and they had 3 corners in the space of few minutes.  Every corner, De Bruyne was able to get the ball right into the danger area every single time with ease and they scored from one of them.

Just wanted to get that off my chest!

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #728 on: February 19, 2020, 10:31:57 pm »
I wanted to create a thread on this but I haven't done enough posts.  Just wanted to put this out there as it's been annoying me.  What Liverpool have done this season and the run they are on is simple ridiculous so obviously it's difficult to criticize them and Klopp.

However, why are we so utterly inept from corners?! It's an observation I've made from watching a number of Liverpool games this season which seems to have gone unnoticed, presumably because we are still winning the games anyway.

What I've noticed as a constant theme is that either we piss about playing it short and mess it up resulting in no cross coming into the box, or the cross that does come in straight from the corner very rarely gets past the first defender and is easily headed away.

Robertson is the worst offender.  It drives me mental.  Trent is better but his deliveries are also not getting above the first defender far too often.

When you have someone in the box who is such a threat from set pieces like van diyk waiting for a delivery that never reaches him, it baffles me why Klopp doesn't address it.

Robertson's crosses into the box from open play where he doesn't have to kick it as far and can slide it along the floor across the box are fine but he seems to lack the technique to get the ball into the box from a corner.  He should be either taken off corner duty or given technique coaching.

These guys are professional footballers who should be able to kick the ball into the box from a corner!

Compare Liverpool's corners to City.  I have just watched the City game tonight and they had 3 corners in the space of few minutes.  Every corner, De Bruyne was able to get the ball right into the danger area every single time with ease and they scored from one of them.

Fuckin hell you wanted to make a new topic for that ;D

Aren't we one of the best set piece teams in the league? Both in attack and defence?
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
Re: Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #729 on: February 19, 2020, 10:36:35 pm »

Did you only start watching us this year?? We used to be woeful at corners for literally years, as it is we are just off the back of a couple of games with ineffective corners having been great for most of the season.

Offline Goobs10

• Main Stander
« Reply #730 on: February 19, 2020, 10:37:05 pm »

Fuckin hell you wanted to make a new topic for that ;D

Aren't we one of the best set piece teams in the league? Both in attack and defence?

We have scored a few from set pieces I'm sure.  Obviously some crosses are good enough. We get a lot of corners though and far too many times, the cross isn't coming into the box due to either playing it short or the technique of the crosser not being good enough.

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #731 on: February 19, 2020, 10:38:56 pm »
We have scored a few from set pieces I'm sure.  Obviously some crosses are good enough. We get a lot of corners though and far too many times, the cross isn't coming into the box due to either playing it short or the technique of the crosser not being good enough.

We're 22 points clear, I wouldn't let it bother you that much.

Offline Goobs10

• Main Stander
« Reply #732 on: February 19, 2020, 10:40:51 pm »

Just find it frustrating and baffling.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: February 19, 2020, 10:45:56 pm »

Are we not one of the best set piece teams in the league?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: February 19, 2020, 10:48:04 pm »
Inept at corners? Are we in 2011?

We're the most efficient side at set pieces in the league and probably in Europe.

Online MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #735 on: February 19, 2020, 10:49:40 pm »

I'm sure I read recently that only 3% of corners result directly in a goal (the corner taker getting the assist). The same piece also said that the most goals assisted by the corner taker are scored at the near post. Apparently there was an area of about 3 inches that you can aim at that is high enough to clear the first man but low enough to drop at the near post rather than the goalkeepers hands.

That's a 3 inch target to aim for, which is invisible & almost 30 yards away. Effectively taking corners isn't easy. If Trent & Robbo are aiming for that spot, they're going to hit the first man a lot.

Obviously there's other types of corners and plenty of other places to aim. Stick it over the centre circle & let Virgil do the rest I say.

Edit: found it - https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/27/in-defence-of-the-corner-a-much-maligned-set-piece
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:53:02 pm by MJD-L4 »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: February 19, 2020, 11:02:20 pm »

Thank fuck you couldn't start a new thread, because that is shite from start to finish.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: February 19, 2020, 11:04:09 pm »
Oi Goober! this is what you wanted to create a thread for?

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #738 on: February 19, 2020, 11:04:33 pm »

With our goal difference it's more like 23 points.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline muszka

• Anny Roader
« Reply #739 on: February 19, 2020, 11:08:34 pm »

For City to catch us we need to lose 8 games so at least -8 while City wins 8 so at the minimum 16 goal difference. We now have only 8.

Offline Six Beardy

• Granby Half-Brick Dodger!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #740 on: February 19, 2020, 11:10:55 pm »
Inept at corners? Are we in 2011?

We're the most efficient side at set pieces in the league and probably in Europe.

Haha yeah, one of the very first LFC fanzines back in the early 90's was called 'Another Wasted Corner'

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: February 19, 2020, 11:11:19 pm »
We scored 14 goals from corners last season in the League; the next highest had 10. The league average was scoring from 3.57%, we scored from 5.41%. We also scored from corners against Barcelona, Porto, Bayern Munich and Tottenham (2nd phase) in the Champions League from what I can remember.

This season we have so far scored from 8 in the League, so are pretty much on course to replicate what we did last season. Add a goal against Napoli as well.

I think all fans have a perception that they are shit at corners because the reality is that so few are scored from in general. But we're actually pretty fantastic at them.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 11:13:46 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #742 on: February 19, 2020, 11:14:26 pm »
either you are not being  serious or you are piss poor at maths.

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: February 19, 2020, 11:35:20 pm »

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #744 on: February 19, 2020, 11:35:39 pm »
I have broken through space-time using the now working flux capacitor in my DeLorean..
..and discovered that the post above was the one that created a parallel discussion in this thread centered around birthdays, kids, ages etc.

Time to rename the thread?
 ;D
I am now 5 days older than I was when that was posted. I cannot fit that into the narrative. Neither the fact I have 3 other kids whos age and the year they were born are totally irrelevant to winning the title, past or present, no matter how hard I try to make them fit. Hopefully by the time this is all finished we might have actually won it. So the thread title will definitely have changed. 😂
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #745 on: February 19, 2020, 11:36:46 pm »

We did ok from a corner against Barcelona at Anfield last season.  ;)

Overall though, I agree that we aren't so good at them. Having said that, this is not a new thing with Liverpool. As far back as, if I recall correctly, the 1980s there was a Liverpool fanzine called 'Another Wasted Corner'. The title acknowledging our relative ineptitude at them.

Over many years I've been known to tear my hair out because we seem unable to beat the first man with a corner on so many occasions. It's definitely something we could improve on but, as I said, it's been like this for decades.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #746 on: February 19, 2020, 11:43:59 pm »
Oi! Bad at corners? That's an awful shout. We're amazing at them. Two that I can think of right off the top of my head that we've recently scored from just in the last few weeks were Virgil vs United and Hendo vs Wolves. In years prior we used to be hopeless at them, but nowadays when we get a corner and Trent steps over the ball you'd almost be surprised if we didn't turn it into a chance rather than the other way around.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #747 on: February 19, 2020, 11:54:50 pm »
About 1 in every 40 corners results in a goal. They are low percentage opportunities, it's always worth remembering that.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: February 20, 2020, 12:08:26 am »
The 13-14 season was brilliant for corners. I just looked it up and Skrtel scored 7 league goals that year! :o

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #749 on: February 20, 2020, 03:59:07 am »
We've been brilliant at corners and set pieces for the last 2 seasons. It's nonsense

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #750 on: February 20, 2020, 04:12:47 am »
Every set of fans in the World thinks they're shit at corners because its such a low percentage of conversion. However Liverpool have been brilliant statistically at both defending and scoring off set pieces over the last two years

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #751 on: February 20, 2020, 06:54:38 am »
Another wasted corner

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Corners- why are we so poor at them?
« Reply #752 on: February 20, 2020, 07:42:38 am »
There's rarely a need for a new thread though Goobs, there's duplicate threads on most subjects. The throw-in's thread could even be bumped, I've always got a lot to say on that subject :)

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: February 20, 2020, 08:20:02 am »
The value of corners is often over stated as the conversion rate generally in football is small. Important to be good at breaking from defensive corners and also protecting from the back as well. Thankfully we're probably the best at all 3 in the league even though crossing the other night was frustrating to watch
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #754 on: February 20, 2020, 08:22:08 am »
Are we not one of the best set piece teams in the league?

Not one of. The.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline themightybeard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #755 on: February 20, 2020, 08:39:19 am »
To be fair I find it amusing to watch van Dijk when we take a short corner and lose it or play it back to Gomez on halfway. Safe to say he's not a fan of playing it short!

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #756 on: February 20, 2020, 09:25:03 am »
Ask yourself is creating a new thread worth it?
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #757 on: February 20, 2020, 10:28:29 am »
Most assists from corners in the Premier League this season.
6 - Liverpool
3 - Arsenal, Burnley
2 - Bournemouth, Leicester, Man City, Tottenham
1 - nine teams
0 - four teams

Trent alone has five, and important ones too - winner at Villa, decisive goal against Brighton, and the opening goals against Arsenal, United and Wolves.

Close the thread  ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:30:48 am by BassTunedToRed »

Offline JordanTremenderson

• Kopite
« Reply #758 on: February 20, 2020, 10:32:49 am »
And defensively:

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: February 20, 2020, 10:57:57 am »
We're also so good at corners that we end up scoring from other teams' ones too