Author Topic: Android Phones - Apps and stuff  (Read 260060 times)

Offline my name canged back to tucker?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Android Phones - Apps and stuff
« Reply #2320 on: April 3, 2016, 07:01:34 pm »
best app for free music downloads?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Android Recovery
« Reply #2321 on: May 20, 2016, 02:37:57 am »
I've been trying to find a program or app, that helps recover deleted images/videos on my Galaxy S5 [without needing to root the phone]. Do you lads have any recommendations? I have tried several apps but none are working.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
Re: Android Recovery
« Reply #2322 on: May 20, 2016, 01:38:47 pm »
from the SD card? There should be a million PC apps (if you have a pc) that recover from disk and SD card

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2323 on: May 20, 2016, 08:26:29 pm »
No mate its not on my card, its internal on the phone

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2324 on: May 22, 2016, 10:16:11 am »
No mate its not on my card, its internal on the phone

When you delete something on the phone it simply makes that space on disk available for writing. So if you install an app to recover things, it might install over the data that you want to recover.

Follow this guide: https://www.recovery-android.com/recover-data-from-android.html

Install the program on your PC, connect the phone and use the program to recover everything. Do not install anything on your phone before you have the data that you want back, otherwise you might overwrite it.

Edit: backup everything important. Things like photos and videos can be set to backup automatically with Google Photos
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 10:18:26 am by Packalacky »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2325 on: May 23, 2016, 11:32:37 pm »
Cheers for the link and the advice. I tried the program and it eventually asks to root the phone, which I want to avoid doing, as I have a feeling with my luck, it will brick the phone.

Offline slamjam

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2326 on: June 2, 2016, 08:00:24 pm »
Has showbox stopped working for anyone else. Mine now is just 15 mins of a film.

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #2327 on: June 5, 2016, 06:20:22 pm »
How're they getting away with it? I've been using it for about a year and have been waiting for the party to end.

What's it good for?  Can you get live sport on it?  What about TV or movies?
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline skooma

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our change into rain is no change at all.
« Reply #2328 on: June 6, 2016, 05:52:05 am »
My LG G3 is incapable of connecting to wifi now. Just waiting for September to replace it.

This phone has been trouble. Tons of UI and notification light bugs, poor battery life, becomes a hot plate if you tax it. I'm definitely not going to LG next go around, I may not even stick with Android because I'm tired of the carrier fucking with the OS.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #2329 on: June 6, 2016, 05:58:33 am »
Sim free is the way to go!

Phuk yoo

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #2330 on: June 6, 2016, 07:03:31 am »
Sim free is the way to go!
Got to agree. Currently paying £5.50 a month for 4gb plus calls and texts. Admittedly it's with the abominably reputationed talktalk but the network service is good and there - touch wood - haven't been any major problems that they haven't sorted out quickly.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #2331 on: June 6, 2016, 12:29:02 pm »
Got to agree. Currently paying £5.50 a month for 4gb plus calls and texts. Admittedly it's with the abominably reputationed talktalk but the network service is good and there - touch wood - haven't been any major problems that they haven't sorted out quickly.

Pretty good deal imo.  Much cheaper than buying on a contract.

If you are ok paying for a phone up front, there is simply no reason to go for a contract, other than slight convenience.
Phuk yoo

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2332 on: June 7, 2016, 06:11:34 pm »
My LG G3 is incapable of connecting to wifi now. Just waiting for September to replace it.

This phone has been trouble. Tons of UI and notification light bugs, poor battery life, becomes a hot plate if you tax it. I'm definitely not going to LG next go around, I may not even stick with Android because I'm tired of the carrier fucking with the OS.

My LG G3 is unusable as the screen is no longer responsive to touch, so going to have to pick up a new phone.

Anyone got any suggestions? I was going to pick up the Nexus 6P as you get 70 quid off in a current offer, however I heard the One Plus 3 is coming out soon which sounds like it could be pretty interesting.

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #2333 on: July 5, 2016, 06:40:58 am »
I'm using the Galaxy s7, I'm trying to find out what the name of that screen is on the left hand side of the home side. I'm using the Google launcher at present and when you swipe that screen in it has the latest news and weather etc. Is there a way to have different type of news feed widget in there? Or are you locked to what ever comes with the launcher you're using? I tried he nova launcher and its using some thing entirely different.

I love the nova launcher icons and layout (it also lets you move the "OK Google search bar" on the home screen), but I prefer the Google now on the left hand side screen for the news instead of nova launchers gmail widget. So I'm wondering if it's possible to have a widget/news feed of your choice in there? Ideally I want to find out what it's called then search for alternatives.

thanks

Online Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2334 on: August 1, 2016, 04:48:20 pm »
Is there way to wireless backup pictures, videos, text messages, etc, on Android? An equivalent to iTunes?

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #2335 on: August 29, 2016, 09:19:06 pm »
So I'm having some issues with the photos on my phone.
I used to back up pics regularly and save them to a flash drive.... haven't done it for some time and went to do it today as my phone is saying it's running low on memory.
It's the internal memory that's low... anyway, usually my pics are in DCIM but I checked in there when connected to my laptop and there's only one folder in there called thumbnails and it has only 62 items in it.

My gallery on my phone says I have 2257 camera shots/some are on the internal memory and some on SD card.... I cannot find the internal ones on my phone when connected to my laptop.
I transferred several hundred from my memory card but all of the ones going back the last few months I cannot find.

As I said, they're there on my phone... I can see them, edit them, look at them individually and send them to people via hangouts or whatsapp etc etc.... but I cannot find them when connected to my laptop.

Any ideas?

I probably didn't explain it very well.

The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline filthy1980

• tax dodger
  • Kopite
  • conspiracy shite
« Reply #2336 on: August 30, 2016, 11:29:24 am »
Is there way to wireless backup pictures, videos, text messages, etc, on Android? An equivalent to iTunes?

for pictures & videos any of the cloud storage apps will work fine [dropbox / onedrive / amazon etc] within storage account limits of course

for a backup of the phone you can use the same cloud storage services, you can download backup apps, that create a backup file to includes pic / texts / settings / apps etc, then upload that file to your cloud account

if you ever need to restore you use the same app, and select that file as restore point

Offline filthy1980

• tax dodger
  • Kopite
  • conspiracy shite
« Reply #2337 on: August 30, 2016, 11:32:57 am »
So I'm having some issues with the photos on my phone.
I used to back up pics regularly and save them to a flash drive.... haven't done it for some time and went to do it today as my phone is saying it's running low on memory.
It's the internal memory that's low... anyway, usually my pics are in DCIM but I checked in there when connected to my laptop and there's only one folder in there called thumbnails and it has only 62 items in it.

My gallery on my phone says I have 2257 camera shots/some are on the internal memory and some on SD card.... I cannot find the internal ones on my phone when connected to my laptop.
I transferred several hundred from my memory card but all of the ones going back the last few months I cannot find.

As I said, they're there on my phone... I can see them, edit them, look at them individually and send them to people via hangouts or whatsapp etc etc.... but I cannot find them when connected to my laptop.

Any ideas?

I probably didn't explain it very well.

how are you accessing them on your phone, using a pic viewer app like Photo's or QuickPic?

look for them via the file manager on your phone which usually separates the folders via Internal Memory and External Memory to begin with then see if you can find the right folder (file path) that way

then when plugged into your laptop follow the same file path to locate the folder your pics are in

(i.e. Internal Memory>Pictures>DCIM)

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2338 on: August 30, 2016, 05:14:20 pm »
how are you accessing them on your phone, using a pic viewer app like Photo's or QuickPic?

look for them via the file manager on your phone which usually separates the folders via Internal Memory and External Memory to begin with then see if you can find the right folder (file path) that way

then when plugged into your laptop follow the same file path to locate the folder your pics are in

(i.e. Internal Memory>Pictures>DCIM)

I just click "gallery" on my phone and they're all in there.
No apps or anything.
I'll try what you suggested...I'm working late tonight so it'll probably be tomorrow.

Will this make them locatable/transferable once I plug phone into laptop then?
Cheers.

I mean they're on my phone...it's weird that they stopped appearing when I plug phone into laptop.

Cheers.

Edit:

So I just used ES File Manager and looked in internal storage and then DCIM and they're there on my phone in the file called 100 media.
I just hope they will be when I try it on my laptop.
It looked exactly how it used to when I connected to laptop, with sub folders within the DCIM folder.
But last night when i tried on my laptop, there was nothing in the DCIM folder except a sub called "thumbnails"

Hmmmm
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:28:51 pm by johnsmithlfc »
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline filthy1980

• tax dodger
  • Kopite
  • conspiracy shite
« Reply #2339 on: August 31, 2016, 10:25:55 am »
100 media sounds familiar, think that's the default folder directory in Samsungs

when your phone is plugged into your laptop, go to the DCIM folder and if you can't see 100 media check that the folder isn't hidden, there should be a "view hidden files" setting

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2340 on: August 31, 2016, 07:16:36 pm »
So just looking now and no.... still the same - the only folder in DCIM is "thumbnails" and this only contains a handful of files and is only 5mb in size.

When I use the File Manager and look on my phone, They're there in the file 100 Media and 100 burst etc.... but when plugging into laptop there are none of these folders in the DCIM folder.

No idea?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline Priest078

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2341 on: August 31, 2016, 08:02:39 pm »
My Samsung won't switch on seems to have just died after being on charge over night, got a new battery but it's goosed.
Choice between a iPhone 5s or a Samsung j3 at similar price, which shall I go for? 

Offline filthy1980

• tax dodger
  • Kopite
  • conspiracy shite
« Reply #2342 on: August 31, 2016, 08:23:19 pm »
So just looking now and no.... still the same - the only folder in DCIM is "thumbnails" and this only contains a handful of files and is only 5mb in size.

When I use the File Manager and look on my phone, They're there in the file 100 Media and 100 burst etc.... but when plugging into laptop there are none of these folders in the DCIM folder.

No idea?

Anyone have any suggestions?

sign up for a onedrive or dropbox account and just sync the 100 Media folder to that account, you should have 5gb worth of storage for free

then access your onedrive or dropbox account from your laptop and copy them to wherever you want to put them

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2343 on: August 31, 2016, 08:40:45 pm »
Yeah I'm currently synching to Google Drive but I think I'll try one of the others.

Cheers for your help mate.

8)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2344 on: September 6, 2016, 06:04:42 pm »
My Galaxy S6 had a software update the other day. Since the update, my phone vibrates when I get an email. I've checked all settings, and it shouldn't vibrate, but still does. How the fuck do I stop it?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2345 on: September 8, 2016, 12:13:59 pm »
My Galaxy S6 had a software update the other day. Since the update, my phone vibrates when I get an email. I've checked all settings, and it shouldn't vibrate, but still does. How the fuck do I stop it?
Mines doing the same

Pissing me off

Online Stevo79

• Kopite
New Sports App
« Reply #2346 on: September 21, 2016, 02:59:01 pm »
United Games are bringing a new sports app out next month which is free to download, free to use (although like always there will be a paid element) with real prizes to be won. It's an app where you play alongside watching live sport, whatever sport you are interested basically. You use tokens to play the app and the better you do the bigger chance of winning prizes like sports tickets, airline tickets, hotel stays etc.

The app launches next month and by pre-registering before it launches you get significant rewards, which include a load of free tokens so you can be on the way to winning prizes from day one.

It is currently invite only, therefore if you wish to pre-register (takes 30 seconds), drop me a PM with your name and e-mail address and I'll send you a private invitation. There are absolutely no obligations with this. It's free and should be a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:57:43 pm by Stevo79 »

Online Stevo79

• Kopite
Re: New Sports App
« Reply #2347 on: September 25, 2016, 04:01:50 pm »
There has been a lot of interest in this so far, with over one million players pre-registering already.

As mentioned in my first post, if you want to find out more, send me your name and email address and I'll send you a private invite.

Online Stevo79

• Kopite
Re: New Sports App
« Reply #2348 on: October 1, 2016, 03:49:27 pm »
For anyone interested in being an affiliate with the above, there's just ten days left before the doors are closed permanently. Just send me a message if you'd like anymore info.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2349 on: October 4, 2016, 06:26:44 pm »
So Google's new Pixel phone is £600 for the basic 32GB 5" version. £819 if you want the 5.5" 128GB version.

Alternatively the OnePlus 3 has better specs in some areas and is nearly half the price. I know which one I'll be considering for my next phone.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2350 on: October 4, 2016, 07:18:45 pm »
Ridiculous pricing for a Google phone.  Hope it sells fuck all.  :wave

In the meantime, as I'll be stuck with my Moto X Play, does anyone have any advice for stopping the fucker from forgetting there's an SD card installed?  Every day or two I'll go to launch something like Evernote and it'll pop-up that a memory card is needed.  Then I reboot and it's fine again.   :-\
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2351 on: October 4, 2016, 07:32:23 pm »
Want!

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2352 on: October 4, 2016, 07:33:25 pm »
I've got the Oneplus 3 and never looked back. Bloody bargain for the specs.

Google were apparently making a loss on every single Nexus branded device. This smacks of trying to make a profit now

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2353 on: October 4, 2016, 08:34:43 pm »
Just looked on the UK Carphone Warehouse Website:

iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Sim Free = £819.00
Google Pixel XL 128GB Sim Free = £819.00

God knows what they were thinking when setting these price points.
They are up against the very cream of the crop iPhone 7+ or latest Samsung Edge Models.

Unless they had some jaw-dropping design/build to justify it, (which they don't) it's bizarre how they must have not listened to anyone.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2354 on: October 4, 2016, 08:45:25 pm »
Just looked on the UK Carphone Warehouse Website:

iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Sim Free = £819.00
Google Pixel XL 128GB Sim Free = £819.00

God knows what they were thinking when setting these price points.
They are up against the very cream of the crop iPhone 7+ or latest Samsung Edge Models.

Unless they had some jaw-dropping design/build to justify it, (which they don't) it's bizarre how they must have not listened to anyone.

I wouldn't say the latest iPhone and Samsung are jaw dropping. In fact Samsungs biggest selling point going off the adverts is a waterproof phone which Sony has been doing since the Z1. Add the fact it's bundled with shovelware that nobody wants or uses and an inferior camera and an OS which will always be behind the Pixel (like the nexus)  well I think the pricing is fair to be honest.

I mean the price is ridiculous but only as ridiculous as similar priced products.

I definitely want this though, owning a nexus a few years ago, well it was the best experience of Android I've had.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2016, 08:47:08 pm by Upinsmoke »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2355 on: October 4, 2016, 09:03:25 pm »
I wouldn't say the latest iPhone and Samsung are jaw dropping.
The Samsung Edge phones are absolutely stunning.  The Apple not so much but the Pixel certainly isn't, so I've no idea how that equates to them taking sales from the 2 juggernauts that they've decided to price themselves in line with.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2356 on: October 4, 2016, 09:13:20 pm »
Disappointing price but I'd still take it over the Iphone or Samsung any day.

Having said that there is no point (IMO) in buying the flagship phones anyway unless you've got money to burn.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2357 on: October 4, 2016, 09:15:17 pm »
The Samsung Edge phones are absolutely stunning.  The Apple not so much but the Pixel certainly isn't, so I've no idea how that equates to them taking sales from the 2 juggernauts that they've decided to price themselves in line with.

Do you mean stunning Like appearance wise? Or what's inside the phone? Specs, functionality?

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2358 on: October 4, 2016, 10:43:43 pm »
I watched the livestream today. The phone seems excellent in what it can do, and comfortable to hold according to reporters on site. Only thing I think it's missing for that price is some level of water resistance.

People should still wait until the inevitable price drop, of course.  :P
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #2359 on: October 5, 2016, 08:52:34 am »
Software experience and imaging aside, it is priced too high for the current market. Unless they have done it deliberately due to limited production capacity, i dont see how it is going to help Google.  The pixel phones are competing with the 7/7 plus at these prices and the latter ones can at least point to the uberpowerful custom chipset and other proprietary technologies to justify the price. The Pixel phones have powerful but hardly unique hardware, with 300 GBP phones offering almost similar specs.

Obviously you have the advantage of a very smooth phone with the latest OS and guaranteed updates, but is that enough to justify the Iphonesque pricing?  Dont think so.

The new Leeco phone is offering 8 GB ram with a SD 821, for half the price. With more memory, better looks and better battery. And a marginally inferior camera.  The Mi5 is less than 300 GBP for Snapdragon 820 and 4 GB RAM, the same as the Pixel phones. The Oneplus 3 has been mentioned already.  Just to put things into perspective.
Phuk yoo