Author Topic: Plausible lies  (Read 6892 times)

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Plausible lies
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2017, 08:43:56 pm »
Because the technical group who agreed on the first set of TV broadcasting standards were so concerned about how unpopular it would be, they broadcast the first set of television signals (a 5-minute static shot of Lake Eerie) entirely on AM frequencies so they could advance radio technology if TV failed as a commercial entity ensuring their work would not have gone to waste.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2017, 08:49:55 pm »
If you drink an even amount of alcoholic units, you don't get hungover.

Offline ArthurDooley82

• Box-clever, non-pink, manly man's man. Contact for more details. No bibs! Grrrr :)
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2017, 09:43:36 pm »
Old wives tale this - Pete Price is actually half human half lizard and eats men alive down otterspool promenade when it's a full moon.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:45:44 pm by ArthurDooley82 »

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2017, 09:48:55 pm »
Vaccines cause autism
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2017, 09:56:07 pm »
Queen Victoria was a pioneer of plastic surgery.  She was one of the first people to have rhinoplasty.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2017, 11:30:55 pm »
Scotch Tape was originally developed at Edinburgh University in 1920 by a Bulgarian émigré research Scientist, Zhgobgkn Bozklphécghp, whose name was so unpronounceable in the English tongue, it became easier to simply refer to it as 'Scotch' derived from its place of origin.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2017, 12:14:04 am »
The shape of the modern Tee used in the game of golf to hold the ball when tee'ing off was designed by Henry Dreyfuss, the famous US Industrial Designer who was also responsible for the shape of the original Streamliner Trains in the 1930's.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2017, 12:20:23 am »
The invention of the Diesel engine by Otto Diesel should really be attributed to his wife, Adelgunde, who accidentally poured oil into the petrol tank of his original engine.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2017, 12:25:24 am »
It wasn't just very clever autistic humans that helped our species develop into what they have become today.
It was, in fact, aliens.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2017, 12:43:14 am »
Prior to 1832 when it was officially renamed, New Brighton was always referred to by the old Norse place name recorded on medieval maps, Skita.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2017, 12:59:58 am »
In the aftermath of the Spanish Armada of August 1588, though most of the Spanish fleet sailed around Ireland, three ships, the Santa Rosamunde, the Il Esperanto and the Jose Perquinus, all attempted to instead navigate back to Spain through the Irish sea but foundered in heavy swells off Llanbadrig on the North coast of Anglesey.

It's estimated that as many as 350 of the crews survived the wrecking and made it ashore and were welcomed and assimilated within the local population resulting in the fact that many of the inhabitants of Anglesey today now have dark hair.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2017, 01:21:48 am »
One of the chemical byproducts of a nuclear power station's cooling facility is a substance which is visually and chemically almost identical to (a highly irradiated) fabric softener.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2017, 01:26:40 am »
The Phillips screwdriver originated in Northern China around the turn of the first Millennium, where it originally had 3 bladed tip rather than the now synonymous 4-blade tip. It was changed to 4 blades by the leaders of the Northern song dynasty as 3 was considered an unlucky number and anything constructed with a 3-blade screwdriver would be cursed and doomed to failure.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2017, 01:34:40 am »
Howard Carter used his twin brother's death as an opportunity to conjure his own demise and escape from the intense public scrutiny his discovery of Tutankhamun had brought about. Accounts from Lord Carnarvon's estate showed that Carter was employed by Carnarvon himself until Carter's real death on January 2nd 1951 - nearly 12 years later.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2017, 07:14:06 am »
The Crinan canal in the west of Scotland has a small but thriving population of illegally introduced North American Snapper Turtles, the largest being estimated to be in excess of 12Kg in weight. The Scottish Wildlife trust is calling for a cull due to their predation of water fowl.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2017, 08:01:07 am »
In the early 1970's, British Ropes Ltd, a UK manufacturer, was forced to withdraw a cheap and heavy (1/4" diameter) gauge parcel wrapping string manufactured from Hemp that was commonly available to purchase in 50' lengths from Post Offices and branches of W.H.Smiths across the UK.

It was discovered the string manufacturing process had failed to reduce the potency of the hallucinogenic properties of the raw material and had in fact considerably enhanced it. This had resulted in it becoming hugely popular amongst certain members of the population when it was found that a 3" length could be simply placed inside a rollup paper or placed in a pipe and then smoked.

As the Police found it impossible to confiscate or to prosecute anyone found in possession of a piece of string, the then Heath Government stepped in and ordered British Ropes Ltd to stop manufacturing that particular brand, and subsequently all stocks held in shops were withdrawn, recalled and destroyed though some stocks allegedly still remain available to this day in some rural Post Offices.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2017, 08:03:52 am »
The largest spider ever found in the UK was a female common house spider with a body length of 6 cm (almost 2.5") and a leg span of 14cm (or almost 5.5").

It was discovered living in a potting shed at an allotment in Guildford in August 1953 and was donated to and put on display at Guildford Museum until its death the following year. Its body was then mistakenly placed in a solution of ether rather than formaldehyde by a technician tasked with preserving it and as a result, it unfortunately disintegrated.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2017, 08:22:40 am »
Fucking hell Gully, you should get a job as a journalist.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2017, 09:05:33 am »
That would be plausible if this jump wasn't beaten by another jump 2 years later  ;)

Or that Eustace's record was beaten last year.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2017, 09:07:56 am »
Hermann Göring, senior Nazi and the head of the Nazi German Luftwaffe, had a vast collection of vintage highly decorated Chinese Ming dynasty era bamboo framed silk and rice paper stunt kites at his residence in Carinhall in the Schorfheide forest northeast of Berlin.

Whenever conferences with Hitler or of senior Nazi or Luftwaffe commanders were held there, he would insist that before any discussion about war plans took place, they would all first go and play outside with the kites.

While most of the other extensive art collections he amassed were removed to Berchtesgaden, unfortunately the priceless kite collection was somehow forgotten about and it was believed to be totally destroyed when Carinhall was blown up on 28th April '45 before the advancing Russian armies.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2017, 09:08:51 am »
According to his biographer, and as reported on Fox news in 2002, Donald Trump's favourite card game when relaxing is Snap.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2017, 09:23:23 am »
According to his biographer, and as reported on Fox news in 2002, Donald Drumpf's favourite card game when relaxing is Snap.

:lmao oh come on that's blatantly true!
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2017, 09:24:54 am »
i love you!
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2017, 09:25:56 am »
The earliest window tax we know about heralds from Herculaneum - the oft forgotten other city destroyed in the cataclysmic eruption of Vesuvius in AD 79. The tax was implemented by the high council of Ercolano, the date being just a decade or so before the death of Jesus.

It wasn't designed to punish the rich - like the 1696 UK implementation was - but as a way to control the rampant spread of brothels in the enclave, which had reached fever pitch with the arrival of male and female sex slaves from Hammamet in Northern Tunisia. Brothel owners who boarded up their windows and refused to pay the levies had their shutters removed by a team of carpenters and weren't returned until the debts - and excess fees - had been paid.

Only too aware of clientèle discretion even then, the brothel owners paid this tax religiously and the few surviving records indicate that only a handful of shuttered windows were ever removed.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2017, 09:33:59 am »
Charles Aznavour did the voiceover for the character Frenchy Boy in 5 episodes of the 1960's British chidrens cartoon series, Captain Pugwash.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2017, 09:50:01 am »
Fermat's last theorum - his famous 200-year-old unsolved note (proof was found in 1996 by the great Andrew Wiles) which states that no three positive integers a, b, and c satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2 - was, ironically not his theory at all, but that of his wife.

He was working on some Pythagorean formulae when his wife Bridgitte brought him a bowl of oxtail soup late into the night and she commented in passing "does it matter what numbers the triangle has?".

This off the cuff remark led to him working on his last theorum for 15 years until his death in 1665 from tetanus. It is believed Bridgitte threw away Fermat's proof by accident whilst looking for his will. Something he rewrote daily.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2017, 03:19:23 pm »
The modern English spelling of the name Thor, the Norse God, is the result of a copying error in the latter part of the 19th Century.

In Anglo Saxon-Viking times he was commonly known by the old Norse name Sog meaning Saw in modern English, as in a thing that cuts wood, his famous hammer afterwards being largely employed to subsequently put nails in, and he was primarily worshipped as the God of carpentry and boat building.

In 1876, the learned scholar of the Dark Age period, Dr J.E.Hulme of Cantebury, produced his Opus considered to be the definitive Academics guide to Norse Mythology and one that is still employed widely today as a primary reference book of that period.

By this late stage in his life, Dr Hulme suffered from a debilitating muscle wasting illness preventing him from physically writing much so the tedious copy work was largely produced by him instead dictating to a secretary his translation of the fragmentary evidence contained in the old Annals of that period.

Unfortunately, Dr Hulme had adopted the then briefly popular and allegedly Spanish inspired lisp speech affectation and he consistently pronounced Saw as Thor which was how his secretary then wrote it down.

The mistake wasn't spotted until after the first edition had sold out and although intended to be corrected for subsequent editions, unfortunately Dr Hulme died in November 1877 and the correction has to this day, never been issued.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2017, 03:35:21 pm »
Mick Jagger, of Rolling Stones fame, is a keen collector of early scratch and sniff cards from the 1960's.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2017, 04:57:38 pm »
The actor Wilfed Bramble (as in You Dirty Old Man of Steptoe and Son fame) spoke fluent German with a Munich accent and secretly served in the SOE during the latter stages of the second world war. He was parachuted solo into Nazi occupied territory in mid January '45 on a successful mission to assassinate three senior SS Officers of the 9th SS Panzer Division Hohenstaufen at their divisional headquarters then in the Eifel region.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2017, 04:58:04 pm »
Paul McCartney is known to sometimes remove his wig allowing him to then travel totally unrecognised on Public Transport when in London and when visiting his old haunts in Liverpool.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2017, 05:54:15 pm »
The actor and presenter Nicholas Parsons, when visiting Hollywood for a screen test for MGM in 1959, embarked on a torrid two week affair with Marilyn Monroe who allegedly had a thing for suave speaking Englishmen. Unfortunately, having failed the screen test, and since he had no US work permit, he then had to return to the UK and the affair came to an abrupt end.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2017, 06:40:30 pm »
This video is full of Plausable lies...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TrS0uNBuG9c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TrS0uNBuG9c</a>
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2017, 09:42:59 pm »
Though the entry on his birth certifcate says differently, the Liverpool born comedian Jimmy Tarbuck was in 1940 actually christened Dixie Dean James Joseph Tarbuck by his fanatical Everton supporting Father, a detail he would these days was rather not widely publicized.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:46:38 pm by The Gulleysucker »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2017, 10:07:19 pm »
Robbie Savage, the one time 'dirtiest' footballer and now a media commentator, upon retirement from playing football in 2011 and while waiting for his media career to take off, joined and for two years intermittently performed as a member of a semi-professional Male Striptease group in Doncaster called The Firemens Hoses.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:11:29 pm by The Gulleysucker »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2017, 10:16:24 pm »
Paul McCartney is known to sometimes remove his wig allowing him to then travel totally unrecognised on Public Transport when in London and when visiting his old haunts in Liverpool.

As Macca is a renowned tight wad I can see him doing this to use his bus pass.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2017, 10:21:21 pm »
Richard Desmond, the Express and OK magazine owner, started his media mogul career when in 1974 he purchased from Richard Branson the rights to the obscure and then failing 'specialist' magazines 'Spanking Weekly' and 'Beardy Pleasures'.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2017, 11:09:33 pm »
Barack Obama was born in Kenya.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2017, 12:07:03 am »
JFK was the youngest US president.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2017, 12:34:01 am »
Steve Bannon, recently sacked by Trump and subsequently reinstated as Editor of Breitbart, despite being a pacifist, is a keen and active member of an American Civil War re-enactment society.

His favourite role is that of a Muleteer attached to the Confederate Army 2nd Virginian Sharpshooters though he has also played the role of a Blacksmith in the Confederate 1st Carolinas Independent Mounted Skirmishers.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2017, 01:03:04 am »
Steve Cram, the 1980's UK Olympic Running Athlete and the first man to run 1500m in under 3 minutes and 30 seconds, was largely inspired to run by the character Alf Tupper from the 1960's Boys comic The Victor that he read as a child, and just like his fictional hero, rather than any specialized sports diet, Steve insisted on instead consuming a large portion of fish and chips from a takeaway prior to his record setting run performed in 1985.