Author Topic: Which Airline?  (Read 115187 times)

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
Re: Which Airline?
« Reply #80 on: January 7, 2011, 11:15:47 pm »
Shit. It has to be one of them. Oh well ta anyway.

Good luck anyways...fingers crossed things go well. Go to the airport early and get checked in early. US Airports are notorious for the long lines to get through the body search/scan and security.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: January 7, 2011, 11:18:13 pm »
When I get back to my computer, I'll post you a brilliant pic of why I'm going to try and avoid BA for the rest of history.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: January 7, 2011, 11:20:32 pm »

Talk about a fuckin tight squeeze! Imagine that for 15-18 hours from NY to Hong Kong! MF!!!

Nice shirt by the way..:)
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: January 7, 2011, 11:26:12 pm »
Talk about a fuckin tight squeeze! Imagine that for 15-18 hours from NY to Hong Kong! MF!!!

Nice shirt by the way..:)

Not me, that's lfsea.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: January 7, 2011, 11:26:47 pm »
Not me, that's lfsea.

Oh boy...............pity him.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: January 7, 2011, 11:27:39 pm »
Oh boy...............pity him.

I'm not that pasty.

Or blonde.

Or able to fit in that space.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: January 7, 2011, 11:28:53 pm »
I'm not that pasty.

Or blonde.

Or able to fit in that space.

hmm.....sounds like you need business class seats mate...

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 7, 2011, 11:29:54 pm »
hmm.....sounds like you need business class seats mate...

You paying? ;D

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: January 7, 2011, 11:30:55 pm »
You paying? ;D

Need to strike the lottery first mate.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 7, 2011, 11:38:27 pm »
If you were that blond, you'd look like Abel Fuckin' Xavier. Either him, or Neptune.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #90 on: January 8, 2011, 12:55:51 pm »
Brother in law has stopped flying First with BA cos the service has gone shite. Stuff like double booking his seat and asking him to move, having to repeatedly ask for a drink, not getting the food he ordered, stuff you just don't expect to be putting up with in First. Wasn't a one off either, had problems going to and from Dubai last year and continued on his transatlantic trips.

this is what we had to go through on the flight to japan.  first up they cocked up the catering and couldn't serve us any food apart from the economy in flight snack ie a pot noodle and a banana.  same problem with the seats.  when we complained we were offered a £75 in flight discount on any duty free the next time we flew with them.  first of never you c*nts.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #91 on: January 8, 2011, 12:57:15 pm »
This is a word-perfect description of those filthy Harpys. Avoid BA like botulism.

;D

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #92 on: January 8, 2011, 12:58:01 pm »
The stewardesses are ugly, aren't they?

old heifers that should have been put out to pasture - or boiled down for glue - a long time ago.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 8, 2011, 01:47:44 pm »
old heifers that should have been put out to pasture - or boiled down for glue - a long time ago.

It's down to the training they recieve at BA HQ. If Emirates, Qatar and the other airlines who have british cabin crew and european cabin crew working for them can get it so right, then why cant BA.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 8, 2011, 03:07:36 pm »

Holy shit can they even allow that?!  :o Can't you show the stewardess and hope against hope they'll move you?

I remember something similar happend to me on Gulf Air but I punched the seat a few times and the shithead got the message.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 8, 2011, 03:44:06 pm »
It's happened once to me..5 hour flight from Brunei back to Perth...guy in front was a big bloke and the flight was filled up with army types..all big blokes..seats in economy were relatively smaller than the other airlines..and everyone pretty much suffered for 5 hours...sitting like that from front to back

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2011, 06:36:45 pm »
Right guys. Im going to the States with work, flying with US Airways from Manc to Philly, then Philly on to Pittsburgh. The thing is, i only have 1hr 25 to make the connection. Surely thats not enought time with all the immirgation, and security?

Work has said it will be fine, and as long as my flight is on time i will piss it. Opinions please.

I'm also going down to Florida, and to get home im flying from Jacksonville into Philly (again, about 1hr 25 connection time) then back to Manc.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2011, 06:38:14 pm »
Personally I'd say the minimum comfortable time is 2 hours with no delays, giving yourself some margin then 3 hours is the best.

1 hour 25 is cutting it, I've done it before but others have missed connecting flights.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2011, 06:52:32 pm »
Personally I'd say the minimum comfortable time is 2 hours with no delays, giving yourself some margin then 3 hours is the best.

1 hour 25 is cutting it, I've done it before but others have missed connecting flights.

I know, i'm not looking forward to it. I cant get it through to them at work though. Tickets for a later flight are more expensive so they are not willing to change them.  :wanker

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2011, 07:17:41 pm »
Cutting it very fine, I would reckon. Not only do you have to get off the plane first, you have to navigate your way through whichever part of the airport you're in to customs and immigration, you then have to rely on the fact that you'll be one of the first in the queue, then you have to get through to transfers, and then get on your plane 15 minutes before take-off.

From my recent experiences they are closing doors earlier and earlier than they ever used to. My BA flight last month had closed the doors 25 minutes before take-off, and I was the last one on-board 30 minutes before take-off.

Are you flying business? At least that'll get you off first, and save you 15 minutes.

Unfortunately not. Hmm really dont know what to do. The MD has the final say and he is not budging. Guess if i miss it, i miss it, but that will fuck up the whole week of appointments.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2011, 07:56:55 pm »
It's an odd stance to take from your boss, given that if you miss appointments, it reflects dreadfully on the company, and presumably affects whatever business you do with those clients?

Is it a massive difference?

They seem to be. To be honest i havn't even looked, they get an agent to book everything and it's said agent who advised that 1hr 25 will be enough time, though all websites say give 2hrs minimum.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2011, 12:08:14 am »
Your MD lacks some brains to be fair. You assume your flight will depart from Manchester on time and then you have to assume you are not going to be flying circles over the airport before you get clearance to land.

US airports are notorious for arrival/departing delays because of severe congestions.

Another suggestion if you are that close to your connecting flight, don't check in bags and travel light then. Bring what you need to bring for your trip on the flight with you so no check in baggage. Should save you a wee bit of time. And get a seat at the front of the plane so you can hop out as soon as the doors open.

Good luck

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2011, 12:10:14 am »
if anyone is flying to India, I highly recommend Jet Airways and Kingfisher, both have brand new planes, great comfort and good stewards/stewardesses

apparently Vijay Malya handpicks the Kingfisher ones! :P
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Carllfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2011, 12:23:11 am »
Emirates or Singapore Airlines are the best for me.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2011, 04:27:35 am »
Came in here to ask about American Airlines, US Airways, and Delta (Cattle class)

Any good/bad experiences?

American Airlines we booked with but we flew with Continental might own them or something.. But it was fantastic value for money 4 flights (Heathrow-GWB Texas-San Diego then returns) and it cost about 1600 for 4 of us in economy. On the plane they had plugs for laptops, chargers etc which was perfect for a long football manager session. they had shit loads of films on their about 500 inc loads of new ones. The food wasn't even that bad and complimentary soft drinks as standard but they came round in good times. I even got to watch Live footy on the Texas-San Diego flight which was a CL qualifier. Would deffo recommend Continent which like I said, we book through American airlines :/

Also Livbes when we had the connecting flights in August we got off the plane and had 45 minutes (flight was 45 late) to get our connecting flight, we were fine in the end got to our gate 10 mins before we were meant to bored then found out it was delayed by 1hr30 :(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 04:32:50 am by Frank. »

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2011, 10:45:42 am »
Cheers for the info and good luck messages guys. I had a stern word, saying i find it uacceptable, and taht after a quick search this morning i found a connecting flight to Pittsburgh an hour later for the same price, so i have emailed the agent who booked the flights to see what they can come up with.

Yeah Mad Men, i was thinking of getting as much in my hand luggage as possible, but im there for basically a full week, including a cold Pittsburgh and a realtively warm Florida + i need my laptop.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2011, 01:59:18 pm »
Cheers for the info and good luck messages guys. I had a stern word, saying i find it uacceptable, and taht after a quick search this morning i found a connecting flight to Pittsburgh an hour later for the same price, so i have emailed the agent who booked the flights to see what they can come up with.

Yeah Mad Men, i was thinking of getting as much in my hand luggage as possible, but im there for basically a full week, including a cold Pittsburgh and a realtively warm Florida + i need my laptop.

Can't you get away with 2 carry on's then? Don't they count the lap top bag separately? You can squeeze some clothes into the lap top bag and then change of clothes in the other?

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2011, 02:03:12 pm »
Can't remember who I was flying with, but someone next to me had two pieces of luggage and was getting bollocked for it by some surly stewardess, so put the laptop bag in his Duty Free carrier bag. Shut her up sharpish.

My understanding is once your onboard, they don't do fuck all unless its a huge bag. Its getting the bags past ground staff thats the key. Never had a problem with a back pack full of clothes on my back and a separate lap top bag. They were fussy about the weight though. Max 7kg per bag.

cheers

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2011, 02:09:56 pm »
Im hoping it will all be sorted by today or tomorrow, one way or another.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2011, 02:10:22 pm »
Im hoping it will all be sorted by today or tomorrow, one way or another.

Hope so to. :)

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2011, 02:26:45 pm »
Thanks. I'm a fecking little girl when it comes to travelling. I ALWAYS (if it's down to me) get to an airport minimum 3hrs before departure, i would much rather be happy and chilling with a pint near the gate, than running around like a headless chicken minutes before the gate closes.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2011, 02:46:41 pm »
Thanks. I'm a fecking little girl when it comes to travelling. I ALWAYS (if it's down to me) get to an airport minimum 3hrs before departure, i would much rather be happy and chilling with a pint near the gate, than running around like a headless chicken minutes before the gate closes.

Same ere. :)

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2011, 03:42:20 pm »
The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Before now I've been at the airport 3 hours beforehand and still had got boarding call because I've been sitting in the bar.

;D

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2011, 04:22:48 pm »
Virgin Atlantic are the best I have flown with - non stop refreshments and good in flight entertainment.  I personally have never had a problem with BA but only used them for short haul and domestic flights.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2011, 09:50:10 pm »
I think also that hour gives you a little peace of mind too.

A lot of companies - mine included - seem to think that people are superhuman. Long-haul flying, unless you have the luxury of business class is tiring. What you don't need after an 8-hour flight, no sleep and 1 too many gins, is to be parading round an airport terminal, head in a spin, not knowing which way to turn. That hour just gives you some breathing space to get a cup of coffee, go for a quick shower, or whatever, before you start another flight.

I go through Dubai probably 12-15 times a year and have the same routine every single time. Off plane, Go to gate 220-odd to the Hub Bar or Down to the wine bar at gate 120-ish. 3 cigarettes and a Heineken. Talk to someone insufferably rich about what they do. Then through to the Emirates Lounge for a G&T and a sandwich, read the New York Times. Wee. Hear Final boarding call for me. Get on plane.

If anyone fucked with my system, I genuinely think I'd have a nervous breakdown.

i feel your pain :)

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2011, 10:37:15 pm »
Having done Heathrow to Dubai a few times now with Emirates I have to go Virgin next month. Shame really as I was about to get a bump on my Skywards account.

Now worried about Virgin, less good IFE, crap terminal at LHR, crap one at Dubai. Only hope is the flight attendants are as cute as they appear in the adverts and the A340-600 is comfortable ( I hear it is ok). The Emirates A380s and 777s are pretty sweet.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2011, 10:38:27 pm »
On a side note, company now trying to be tight by flying me around Europe on Easyjet instead of BA.....always found BA good in Europe, but after some of the comments on here I find myself about to be ridiculed for saying I miss 'em!
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2011, 10:48:47 pm »
It will be the 600 I am fairly sure rather than the 300.

No power sockets is a bit 3rd world though. So no iPhone music I guess for the flight or laptop use. My laptop battery is utter crap until I get a new one.

Feels as though I have been spoilt a bit now with Emirates. Oh how I miss them! ;D

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2011, 11:07:35 pm »
Just booked a flight to Cape Town to see the missus tonight with Etihad. I feel like I'm disrespecting my mother by not flying with Emirates.

Good avatar though. No idea why, but I really like that appointment even though I don't know his methods at all.

Anyhow, back on topic...

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2011, 11:29:45 pm »
On a side note, company now trying to be tight by flying me around Europe on Easyjet instead of BA.....always found BA good in Europe, but after some of the comments on here I find myself about to be ridiculed for saying I miss 'em!

You bloody snob, I'm sent all over Europe with Easyjet, Ryanair, and Wizz  ;)

My company are right tight arses, when we go to the Middle East its always KLM, and im certainly not their biggest fan.