Author Topic: The RAWK Investment/Trading Thread  (Read 153005 times)

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
Re: The RAWK Investment/Trading Thread
« Reply #1080 on: November 26, 2018, 12:15:38 pm »
Does anyone invest in their work share scheme?

Yup I do, used to be buy one and get one free but the tight buggers have changed it too buy 2 get one free.
Also a 3% dividend payed in shares so it’s a no brainer.

Only thing is there is a holding period, can’t remember how long otherwise you are liable to pay a higher rate of tax on the gains.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1081 on: November 26, 2018, 02:03:51 pm »
If you can afford it then you have to go for it, its an option to buy so if the shares tank at the end of the qualifying period (used to be if you keep them for 5 years you pay no tax) then you can refuse the option and get your money back, plus a bit of interest I believe. This may have changed now of course but the principle is the same - if you can afford it do it.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1082 on: November 27, 2018, 04:02:49 pm »

I didnt and regret it now - share price in one company was £3.50 15 years ago and now its £42 a share!

Online Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1083 on: November 27, 2018, 11:53:57 pm »
I didnt and regret it now - share price in one company was £3.50 15 years ago and now its £42 a share!

One of my mates worked for a really small IT company in London. An American company took them over and offered them shares in a similar scheme. He worked there for three years after and sold the shares. Him and three mates from the same company sold them and opened their own business.
I’ve a few shares in capita but not worth writing about . Currently looking for an investment. I can’t see beyond buying a flat renting it out tho. 😂🙈 I’ve no idea about shares etc totally clueless
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1084 on: November 28, 2018, 11:28:12 am »
Choosing individual shares is difficult and can be really risky. Any bit of bad news, especially profit warnings can cause a share price to tank - One of the holiday companies lost 1/3 this week on the back of a profit warning, and that's one of the 250 biggest companies.
It can be even more volatile on smaller markets such as AIM. If you want exposure to shares an investment fund is a good way of spreading risk.

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1085 on: November 28, 2018, 04:52:43 pm »
Yeah, I regularly pay into my works share scheme. I used to max it out, but have now decided to just overpay my mortgage instead. Wife puts the maximum in though so we're always saving. It's not life changing but we'd just spunk it on useless shit, rather than replacing cars every so often etc. If you can afford to it'd be stupid not to.
Nah.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1086 on: April 14, 2020, 12:44:26 pm »
Didnt want to start a new thread so raised this from the nearly dead.

I was thinking of buying some shares as I am soon to get a few quid and since interest rates are shit for cash thought buying some shares might be a better bet. I have read up a bit but still have a few questions if anyone could help.

I understand that I have to setup an ISA first then buy shares that I put in the ISA but does it really matter who I set the ISA up with/buy shares from ? I was looking at Hargreaves Lansdown as they seem a respectable name, I have a SIPP with Close Bros but this is for cash only I believe also it is managed so I pay a yearly fee, it has performed OK but nothing special. I am trying to contact them to see if they do these sort of things.

Any help appreciated.

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #1087 on: April 19, 2020, 05:08:20 pm »
Dont know much on this but wanna learn . Friend been raving about Degiro app
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: April 29, 2020, 10:14:00 pm »
Didnt want to start a new thread so raised this from the nearly dead.

I was thinking of buying some shares as I am soon to get a few quid and since interest rates are shit for cash thought buying some shares might be a better bet. I have read up a bit but still have a few questions if anyone could help.

I understand that I have to setup an ISA first then buy shares that I put in the ISA but does it really matter who I set the ISA up with/buy shares from ? I was looking at Hargreaves Lansdown as they seem a respectable name, I have a SIPP with Close Bros but this is for cash only I believe also it is managed so I pay a yearly fee, it has performed OK but nothing special. I am trying to contact them to see if they do these sort of things.

Any help appreciated.

You don't need to set up an ISA. An ISA is just a wrapper for up to £20,000 of deposits every financial year. You can put money into a cash ISA (like a regular savings account) or a stocks and shares ISA, and you can also split that £20,000 limit between the two types. If you're not using that allowance it may make sense to do that in this instance so that you're not missing out on any tax-free gains. You can also transfer ISAs between providers.

I just buy into funds on Vanguard but there may be better platforms out there if you want to buy and sell individual stocks. Vanguard is one of the cheaper platforms, though.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1089 on: January 12, 2021, 11:46:36 am »
Bump!!!

Anyone know about the Hargreaves Lansdown app? My friend uses it to buy stocks and shares on there, he keeps encouraging me to get in on the action saying now is the time to buy, but, I have my doubts as I’ve no experience in this sort of stuff. Thought I would turn to the Rawk brain trust before I do anything. Anyone used the app or done any investing recently?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1090 on: January 12, 2021, 07:14:10 pm »
I use IG, it's a good app and if you trade often (a few times a quarter) the rates are low.

I have a question for the experienced brains: I bought shares in a firm last March, sold them all for profit in July, then bought shares in the same firm in December (so all in the same tax year).

Based on my knowledge of 'bed and breakfasting' they will be considered two entirely separate transactions and gains/losses for tax purposes. Would I be correct in thinking that?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1091 on: January 12, 2021, 07:34:33 pm »
Not really much of an investment or trading but a few years ago i managed to purchase a lot of shares in Tesco through an employee save as you earn scheme, i've kept hold of these for few years now and next month will get a special one off dividend of 51p per share :D

Share price has risen recently too!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1092 on: January 12, 2021, 07:38:52 pm »
Those supermarket share schemes are pretty good usually. Know a few who worked in ASDA who bought into theirs and have quite a bit saved away.

For those looking to invest generally - if you're clueless about these things then just be careful how much you're investing. It's very very easy to mess up if you've no idea.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1093 on: January 12, 2021, 07:49:00 pm »
Bump!!!

Anyone know about the Hargreaves Lansdown app? My friend uses it to buy stocks and shares on there, he keeps encouraging me to get in on the action saying now is the time to buy, but, I have my doubts as I’ve no experience in this sort of stuff. Thought I would turn to the Rawk brain trust before I do anything. Anyone used the app or done any investing recently?
I've read Hargreaves Lansdown charge a big fee for buying and selling individual shares. Only worth it if you are dealing with huge number. Think they are cheaper for index fu ds though.

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1094 on: January 27, 2021, 03:43:24 pm »
Anyone else riding the Gamestop roller coaster? I bought in yesterday at a little over $120. It's currently around $290 and reddit are touting $1000 before Friday. I'm not sure I'll stay the course though.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #1095 on: January 27, 2021, 06:16:16 pm »
Anyone else riding the Gamestop roller coaster? I bought in yesterday at a little over $120. It's currently around $290 and reddit are touting $1000 before Friday. I'm not sure I'll stay the course though.

I just read about that this morning.
Whenever I see spikes like that, I usually see drops/dumps next day. Too volatile for me.

Good luck - it seems stuck around $310-330 today
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1096 on: January 27, 2021, 06:51:32 pm »

I just read about that this morning.
Whenever I see spikes like that, I usually see drops/dumps next day. Too volatile for me.

Good luck - it seems stuck around $310-330 today

The reddit theory is that the stock is 130% shorted by hedge funds so will have to pay any price asked if enough of us hold onto our stock as there just won't be any available for them. Margin call on Friday could see some frantic buying that will drive the price through the roof as that's the due date . This isn't normal speculation. It's been in the pipes for some time.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
« Reply #1097 on: January 28, 2021, 10:58:57 am »
The reddit theory is that the stock is 130% shorted by hedge funds so will have to pay any price asked if enough of us hold onto our stock as there just won't be any available for them. Margin call on Friday could see some frantic buying that will drive the price through the roof as that's the due date . This isn't normal speculation. It's been in the pipes for some time.

Up to $450 already - 2.5 hours before the bell
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #1098 on: January 28, 2021, 11:25:45 am »
So I missed the boat on the Gamestop thing. Had a look at it when it was just over $100 but never invested before so literally don’t even know how you buy stocks :lmao

What about AMC? That’s still $20 a share, how would I go about buying it? Trading 212 is closed to registrations now and that’s the only trading app I know of really. Any other that I could buy it on and not be charged out the  arse on fees etc?
Champions

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #1099 on: January 28, 2021, 05:03:29 pm »
Been watching the coverage today and it's very funny how these wall street lads are throwing their toys out the pram as soon as the poor people basically do what they've been doing for years.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1100 on: January 28, 2021, 05:04:45 pm »
Been watching the coverage today and it's very funny how these wall street lads are throwing their toys out the pram as soon as the poor people basically do what they've been doing for years.

S'not fair is everyone does it...

Offline Lotus Eater

• Kopite
« Reply #1101 on: January 29, 2021, 02:18:51 pm »
It was nice to wake up this morning to see my (actually my wife bought) CATB stock up 50% before the bell

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1102 on: January 29, 2021, 03:08:01 pm »
Up to $450 already - 2.5 hours before the bell
Gone from 469 yesterday to 303.
I hope people in on this know what they are doing. If not there'll be people who have paid hundreds of dollars per share for a business that has spent most of the last 20 years at around $20 and was at around $5 at the start of the month.

It's classic ramping and the people involved have made their dough.

Offline Thome1971

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1103 on: January 29, 2021, 03:23:52 pm »
Luckily i'm currently up a bit on GME, although could have sold for a lot more. Don't regret it one bit, this has become about the principle now :P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1104 on: January 29, 2021, 03:38:32 pm »
Luckily i'm currently up a bit on GME, although could have sold for a lot more. Don't regret it one bit, this has become about the principle now :P
Get out while you can!! Unless you think the principle is worth losing your cash for.
Look at how many shares you have, and what they would have been worth at pretty much any point in the last few years and make your decision based on that, and that's a generous valuation. The truer real value is possibly nearer the share price in early Jan.

Trying to time the market usually ends in tears and at a few points over the last year when the markets were going haywire, people were unable to place trades.

This may well go up further, but the challenge will be actually getting you sell trade in.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #1105 on: January 29, 2021, 05:36:24 pm »
I've never really had enough money to invest in anything so don't know much about this sort of thing.
The most I've got is a company pension.

But now the missus is getting heavily into this Bitcoin thing.
Her cousins are encouraging her and she's done loads of reading about it and I think she's gonna stick a bit of her savings in it before too long.
It's her money so I can't really say anything, but I am a bit concerned that she may lose her cash if she's not careful.
She studied Art so she knows nowt about investments!

She's also making some notes on Forex. I don't know where this will all end!
Any pointers about what I should warn her about?

Offline Lotus Eater

• Kopite
« Reply #1106 on: January 29, 2021, 06:09:07 pm »
It was nice to wake up this morning to see my (actually my wife bought) CATB stock up 50% before the bell

Now up 115%

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1107 on: January 29, 2021, 09:08:11 pm »
I've never really had enough money to invest in anything so don't know much about this sort of thing.
The most I've got is a company pension.

But now the missus is getting heavily into this Bitcoin thing.
Her cousins are encouraging her and she's done loads of reading about it and I think she's gonna stick a bit of her savings in it before too long.
It's her money so I can't really say anything, but I am a bit concerned that she may lose her cash if she's not careful.
She studied Art so she knows nowt about investments!

She's also making some notes on Forex. I don't know where this will all end!
Any pointers about what I should warn her about?

Volatility is the biggest thing. So don't invest any amount that you aren't willing to lose. Also since Cryptocurrencies are rather new there is little understanding of the factors that determine their value, unlike with stock markets. With a publicly listed company typically the stock value is somewhat tied to how profitable the company is, or how profitable investors think it may become. With Bitcoin, there is no such metric to determine its value. So how do you really know if you are overpaying for it or not?

Also, the main concern is despite all the claims by Cryptocurrency proponents, Bitcoin is still mostly just used for shady dealings on the internet and some niche business transactions. It's no more useful today than it was 5 years ago. It's mostly a thing for people to gamble on.

Basically, don't bet your house on it. If you are in a good position financially and she is ok putting a few thousand on it, with low expectations then it's not a big deal. But don't gamble your life savings on it.

I personally invest 10% of my salary every year into a bunch of broad market Exchange Traded Funds. It's basically like buying a small share in all the stocks in the market. It may not seem sexy but they have a track record of beating the returns of most hedge funds. Averaging around 7-9% annual return over long periods of time.

Disclaimer: Not a financial adviser.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 09:15:26 pm by Max_powers »

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1108 on: January 29, 2021, 09:26:00 pm »
Anyone looking into investing should seriously read into how compounding works, and thing as long-term as possible.

Day trading (trying to buy and sell individual stocks to beat the market) is a mug's game if you don't know what your doing or don't know how to research or perform technical analysis of stock charts well.

Investing regularly and heavily into ETFs and being content to have that money hang out there for a long time (25+ years) can make you very, very wealthy.

I've just started getting into it over the last couple of months.

https://www.investor.gov/financial-tools-calculators/calculators/compound-interest-calculator is a good place to start playing around with some numbers - if you can invest $1,000 p/m for the next 25 years, even without any initial down payment, then you'll have $1m+ in that account by the end (assuming a 9% interest rate annually which is about the norm for ETFs). 
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1109 on: January 29, 2021, 09:35:45 pm »
Second all the comments on investing in index funds. Day trading stocks it essentially just gambling.

Open a S&S ISA on Fidelity or Hargreaves Lansdowne or Vanguard etc, and put your money in a fund like Vanguard Lifestrategy or Global All Cap etc.

(Disclaimer: Not a financial advisor).

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1110 on: January 30, 2021, 02:27:10 am »
Sorry guys, but as someone who writes about this kind of thing for a living, that is bad advice. This is actually the worst time to be investing in an index fund, since the stock market is in the middle of a boom that's only concentrated on certain types of companies. Look at the difference between the share price movement for 'traditional' stocks like Coca Cola, IBM or Anheuser-Busch InBev in the past year, even in the last three months, and that of the big tech companies and you'll see what I mean.

Some people will tell you that this is only a temporary thing, and it's true that this kind of growth won't be sustained, but it's also true that the entire economy is being reshaped, to some extent permanently, but most people don't realise it because they're in the eye of the storm. If you want to know what to put your money into, I'd suggest three main areas:

Payment and financial technology (PayPal, Square; Klarna and Stripe when they float; Apple to some extent too). More and more business is shifting online and cash, unfortunately, is on the way out - mobile payment tech providers are going to see their revenues skyrocket in the next few years.

Cloud computing (Alphabet, Microsoft and - if you have no morals - Amazon). As more and more elements of the economy move online, more and more of it will rely on cloud service providers, and the main three are Google Cloud, Microsoft and AWS. All three also have substantial business interests in other parts of the economy set to grow: healthtech (Alphabet), enterprise software (Microsoft) and e-commerce (Amazon).

Gaming (Tencent, Nintendo, EA, Activision Blizzard, Sony). Gaming is getting further and further into the mainstream and as esports (still in a very early stage) emerges as a force, it's going to increasingly become a fixture in mainstream entertainment. The console producers are a decent bet but I'd say the big game distributors/publishers are more promising. As more gaming moves online, that's where the money will flow.

Other promising areas: Online food delivery, as these companies increasingly opt for cloud kitchens and decrease their reliance on local restaurants; and digital health, which is set to become the default rather than a side option. Pharma is much more hit and miss but if I had to recommend a company I'd go with Illumina: genomic medicine looks likely to be a huge growth area in the coming years and they're probably the ones in the lead there.

Now obviously, I'M not a financial advisor either, but these aren't day trade bets - they're solid long-term options in areas of the economy that are rapidly growing and which are set to keep doing so.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1111 on: January 30, 2021, 06:14:29 am »
Sorry guys, but as someone who writes about this kind of thing for a living, that is bad advice. This is actually the worst time to be investing in an index fund, since the stock market is in the middle of a boom that's only concentrated on certain types of companies. Look at the difference between the share price movement for 'traditional' stocks like Coca Cola, IBM or Anheuser-Busch InBev in the past year, even in the last three months, and that of the big tech companies and you'll see what I mean.

Some people will tell you that this is only a temporary thing, and it's true that this kind of growth won't be sustained, but it's also true that the entire economy is being reshaped, to some extent permanently, but most people don't realise it because they're in the eye of the storm. If you want to know what to put your money into, I'd suggest three main areas:

Payment and financial technology (PayPal, Square; Klarna and Stripe when they float; Apple to some extent too). More and more business is shifting online and cash, unfortunately, is on the way out - mobile payment tech providers are going to see their revenues skyrocket in the next few years.

Cloud computing (Alphabet, Microsoft and - if you have no morals - Amazon). As more and more elements of the economy move online, more and more of it will rely on cloud service providers, and the main three are Google Cloud, Microsoft and AWS. All three also have substantial business interests in other parts of the economy set to grow: healthtech (Alphabet), enterprise software (Microsoft) and e-commerce (Amazon).

Gaming (Tencent, Nintendo, EA, Activision Blizzard, Sony). Gaming is getting further and further into the mainstream and as esports (still in a very early stage) emerges as a force, it's going to increasingly become a fixture in mainstream entertainment. The console producers are a decent bet but I'd say the big game distributors/publishers are more promising. As more gaming moves online, that's where the money will flow.

Other promising areas: Online food delivery, as these companies increasingly opt for cloud kitchens and decrease their reliance on local restaurants; and digital health, which is set to become the default rather than a side option. Pharma is much more hit and miss but if I had to recommend a company I'd go with Illumina: genomic medicine looks likely to be a huge growth area in the coming years and they're probably the ones in the lead there.

Now obviously, I'M not a financial advisor either, but these aren't day trade bets - they're solid long-term options in areas of the economy that are rapidly growing and which are set to keep doing so.

Not that I am expert on finance but from what I know disagree with you on that. The economy has always been changing. There has been technological revolutions every 20-30 years for past 200 years.

So the question is that in long run, do these cutting edge large cap growth companies outperform the Market? and the answer is no. Not based on historical data.

If you are only looking at past 5-10 years, its true that some of these tech growth companies have grown at rate that beats the market. Its also true that some of these companies do have profitable business models. But still a lot of the price increase are based on the assumption that they will continue to become more and more profitable with not too much thought to back that up. Many are still making losses or have insanely high P/E ratios despite being established brands that control large Market shares.

Tesla and Uber are two prime examples. Two companies with insanely high stock prices and market caps that have barely made any profits at all. A lot will have to go right for them to live up to their current evaluation.  Basically, these companies may as well go and dominate the economy but that assumption is already built into the stock prices very optimistically sometimes.

I like the analysis by Ben Felix, he has podcast and YouTube channel and background in Finance and is a big proponent of evidence based investing. He made video discussing this exact topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZnVt_CvL3k

He has also has some other interesting videos  discussing topics like Factor Investing, Index funds and why stock picking and active management isn't as profitable in the long run.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1112 on: January 30, 2021, 11:16:55 am »

These are the top 10 holdings in the Vanguard Global All Cap fund:

1   Apple Inc   -   United States   3.18
2   Microsoft Corp   -   United States   2.46
3   Amazon.com Inc   -   United States   2.05
4   Facebook Inc A   -   United States   0.97
5   Alphabet Inc Class C   -   United States   0.79
6   Tesla Inc   -   United States   0.79
7   Alphabet Inc A   -   United States   0.74
8   S+p500 Emini Fut Mar21 Xcme 20210319   -   -   0.69
9   Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd   -   Taiwan   0.67
10   Tencent Holdings Ltd   -   China   0.62

The benefit of the fund though is that you are not all in on one sector (and prone to something like the dotcom boom).

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1113 on: January 30, 2021, 12:45:00 pm »
Volatility is the biggest thing. So don't invest any amount that you aren't willing to lose. Also since Cryptocurrencies are rather new there is little understanding of the factors that determine their value, unlike with stock markets. With a publicly listed company typically the stock value is somewhat tied to how profitable the company is, or how profitable investors think it may become. With Bitcoin, there is no such metric to determine its value. So how do you really know if you are overpaying for it or not?

Also, the main concern is despite all the claims by Cryptocurrency proponents, Bitcoin is still mostly just used for shady dealings on the internet and some niche business transactions. It's no more useful today than it was 5 years ago. It's mostly a thing for people to gamble on.

Basically, don't bet your house on it. If you are in a good position financially and she is ok putting a few thousand on it, with low expectations then it's not a big deal. But don't gamble your life savings on it.

I personally invest 10% of my salary every year into a bunch of broad market Exchange Traded Funds. It's basically like buying a small share in all the stocks in the market. It may not seem sexy but they have a track record of beating the returns of most hedge funds. Averaging around 7-9% annual return over long periods of time.

Disclaimer: Not a financial adviser.
Thanks for the reply mate.
Yep, disclaimer always important.

The thing is, we don't have much money anyway. And she's only got about 3k in savings. That money is sort of like our rainy day fund and for a big holiday (Covid permitting!) so just thinking that she's going to lump it all on something that to be honest we both don't know much about worries me a little.
Yes, it's her money. But we share the pain and gain ultimately.

I'd much prefer if she just kept it a bit more traditional and invested in gold or somat.

She's a housewife/homemaker, so I personally think she should look to be getting a job if she wants a bit of extra cash. I never tell her this cos we manage the house on my salary alone thankfully, but times can be tough on one wage. We can't afford a lot of luxuries that most take for granted like annual holidays, newer cars, tradesmen to work on DIY things etc.
End up doing most things meself to save money!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1114 on: January 30, 2021, 05:56:44 pm »

The thing is, we don't have much money anyway. And she's only got about 3k in savings. That money is sort of like our rainy day fund and for a big holiday (Covid permitting!) so just thinking that she's going to lump it all on something that to be honest we both don't know much about worries me a little.

I'd much prefer if she just kept it a bit more traditional and invested in gold or somat.

She's a housewife/homemaker, so I personally think she should look to be getting a job if she wants a bit of extra cash. I never tell her this cos we manage the house on my salary alone thankfully, but times can be tough on one wage. We can't afford a lot of luxuries that most take for granted like annual holidays, newer cars, tradesmen to work on DIY things etc.
After reading both your posts, gambling, because that’s what it sounds like on Bitcoin with the majority of your money is dangerous.
There will always be circumstances when you may get lucky and could say “what does he know, we’ve just doubled our money”, but you could lose a big chunk of what you’ve invested too.

Ask yourselves how you’d feel if your investment dropped by 80%, then based on the answer decide what to do next.

Not being a killjoy, just don’t want to see people taking more risk than they are comfortable with,and more importantly can afford to take.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1115 on: January 30, 2021, 06:50:54 pm »

Yeah based on what you say, Its probably not wise to invest that money in something so volatile.

I personally keep a rainy day fund of about 2 months of my salary in a easy to access place like Savings account.

Just in case some emergency pops up, say I lose my job I know I can still survive for a bit. I am not at the mercy of stock market or bitcoin prices. Many of my friends did end up losing their jobs last March and April and only were able to survive because of family help and COVID relief funds.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1116 on: January 30, 2021, 07:17:48 pm »
Experts: thoughts on the predicted commodities supercycle?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1117 on: January 31, 2021, 03:02:50 am »
Anyone in this thread that can advise me with some queries about shares/dividends?

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1118 on: January 31, 2021, 11:30:15 am »
Yeah based on what you say, Its probably not wise to invest that money in something so volatile.

I personally keep a rainy day fund of about 2 months of my salary in a easy to access place like Savings account.

Just in case some emergency pops up, say I lose my job I know I can still survive for a bit. I am not at the mercy of stock market or bitcoin prices. Many of my friends did end up losing their jobs last March and April and only were able to survive because of family help and COVID relief funds.
Yeah, the aspect of volatility needs to be considered. But I think because she's never really had loads of money and she's never really pinned down a long-term job before (the most she's ever worked in any of her jobs is a few months!), she is being sucked into the "amazing opportunity" her cousin is filling her ears with. It feels like she's turning into a sucker for those "get rich quick" schemes - she probably would fall for those too if cryptocurreny wasn't an option.
I think she's looking for an easy way to make money. But the hard truth is that there is no easy way to make money. Otherwise a lot more people would be rich. Even illegal ways to make money are difficult haha - and I feel this from watching crime dramas, I'm not a criminal myself  ;D

Based on our situation - and aside from cryptocurrency - are there any other less volatile investments that might be worth looking into?

Offline L4Red

• Kopite
« Reply #1119 on: January 31, 2021, 09:04:45 pm »
Yeah, the aspect of volatility needs to be considered. But I think because she's never really had loads of money and she's never really pinned down a long-term job before (the most she's ever worked in any of her jobs is a few months!), she is being sucked into the "amazing opportunity" her cousin is filling her ears with. It feels like she's turning into a sucker for those "get rich quick" schemes - she probably would fall for those too if cryptocurreny wasn't an option.
I think she's looking for an easy way to make money. But the hard truth is that there is no easy way to make money. Otherwise a lot more people would be rich. Even illegal ways to make money are difficult haha - and I feel this from watching crime dramas, I'm not a criminal myself  ;D

Based on our situation - and aside from cryptocurrency - are there any other less volatile investments that might be worth looking into?

Most of those social media forex/crypto things seem to be pyramid scheme types to me, one person at the top making a few bob and the rest skint and begging their friends and family to sign up.

Major alarm bells if it was me!