Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12249975 times)

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #99600 on: May 16, 2019, 12:45:39 pm »
We have quite a few players who can deputise for Trent. Not ideal but the Moreno replacement is more important.

Great point, how do we replace Alberto?

;-)

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99601 on: May 16, 2019, 12:47:41 pm »
 :) You know what I mean -- we were bloody lucky Robertson motored through that season. Doesn't seem as if Lewis is going to be the next big breakthrough; Larouci a bit young still? (Anyone who's watched the youth teams more than I have, please feel free to disagree).

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99602 on: May 16, 2019, 01:23:43 pm »
:) You know what I mean -- we were bloody lucky Robertson motored through that season. Doesn't seem as if Lewis is going to be the next big breakthrough; Larouci a bit young still? (Anyone who's watched the youth teams more than I have, please feel free to disagree).

I agree, we have been linked to the Ajax and Bristol City LBs.  Quite like the look of the latter - Lloyd Kelly I think

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #99603 on: May 16, 2019, 01:26:33 pm »
We have quite a few players who can deputise for Trent. Not ideal but the Moreno replacement is more important.

Yep we need a LB and I don't think anyone from the academy is ready. I wonder if we might go for Lloyd Kelly of Bristol. His name keeps popping up and he seems to fit the profile of a youngster with a bit of first team football who would be happy to be deputy to Robbo and learn his trade.

As you say, we have a few players who can fill in at RB and that's why I don't think we'll recruit there and instead give Hoever the chance to develop in to the number option ahead of the likes of Gomez and Milner.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #99604 on: May 16, 2019, 07:27:27 pm »
Yep we need a LB and I don't think anyone from the academy is ready. I wonder if we might go for Lloyd Kelly of Bristol. His name keeps popping up and he seems to fit the profile of a youngster with a bit of first team football who would be happy to be deputy to Robbo and learn his trade.

As you say, we have a few players who can fill in at RB and that's why I don't think we'll recruit there and instead give Hoever the chance to develop in to the number option ahead of the likes of Gomez and Milner.
Lloyd Kelly is supposedly someone we’re no longer interested in.

We are supposedly looking for a left back, but in region of £15m as a fee.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #99605 on: May 16, 2019, 07:55:42 pm »
From the little I have seen of him, he seems to be a versatile, talented forward, good eye for goal, good determination, reasonable size, strength, pace, shooting - all adding up to a good proposition

JK clearly loves him and that's good enough for me!
Is he like Rashford then?

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99606 on: May 16, 2019, 08:41:06 pm »
Lloyd Kelly is supposedly someone we’re no longer interested in.

We are supposedly looking for a left back, but in region of £15m as a fee.
Are you implying that Lloyd Kelly's £18m price tag is what's putting us off, or is it his performances/stats that don't impress us?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99607 on: May 16, 2019, 08:50:49 pm »
Are you implying that Lloyd Kelly's £18m price tag is what's putting us off, or is it his performances/stats that don't impress us?
Who knows.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99608 on: May 16, 2019, 09:02:09 pm »
Dammit, Tepid, I was relying on you. The transfer jizz maestro has flopped already.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99609 on: May 16, 2019, 09:04:06 pm »
Dammit, Tepid, I was relying on you. The transfer jizz maestro has flopped already.
The general consensus is that we sign one or at most two players and neither will be above the £15m region (give or take).

One left back one versatile forward.  (Although we do seem to have been properly linked with Pepe who would be quite a bit more than this.)
W

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99610 on: May 16, 2019, 09:08:42 pm »
The general consensus among journalists? Where do we find a quality attacker for 15million? That is what Ibe was sold for a few years ago, and it’s 4 million less than Solanke.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99611 on: May 16, 2019, 09:11:55 pm »
The general consensus among journalists? Where do we find a quality attacker for 15million? That is what Ibe was sold for a few years ago, and it’s 4 million less than Solanke.
Doesn’t mean that they are right of course...
W

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #99612 on: May 17, 2019, 09:12:00 am »

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #99613 on: May 17, 2019, 01:58:12 pm »
Doesn’t mean that they are right of course...

Not quite related to the thread, but why is there a common opinion among journalists and among some fans that we don't have money?

Last season, I remember that the general talk was that we had money because we were back in CL, reached the Final, nice little revenue and we'd sold Coutinho as well. Now the TV revenue is higher (genuine query?), we've reached the same CL stage (could be better), and what else has changed except we haven't sold Coutinho. So, considering that, we can chop off the money we had to get Alisson and VVD, we may not have that. That should still leave us enough to get a Fabinho level and a Shaqiri level (not positions, but in terms of cost) signing instead of 2 Shaqiri level signings as being mentioned right? Why are we short? And this without considering outgoings, we have a few that we may let sell for decent prices put together. We won't get such cheap signings that we're looking for our level unless there are some abnormal clauses like Shaqiri had, and the chances of it is remarkably small.

I mean, I'm ready to be educated here by those good with accounts and stuff, I just want to know if there's something substantial behind this common idea that we're short on money for this window. One or two educational posts and then we can hold it for the transfer forum.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99614 on: May 17, 2019, 01:59:52 pm »
The consensus is that we’ve spent loads so probably can’t spend that much again. In addition any one improving the team would be vastly expensive and not really needed.
W

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99615 on: May 17, 2019, 02:10:46 pm »
Not quite related to the thread, but why is there a common opinion among journalists and among some fans that we don't have money?

Anything to get LFC fans clicking with no games for 2 weeks.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #99616 on: May 17, 2019, 02:31:49 pm »
The consensus is that we’ve spent loads so probably can’t spend that much again. In addition any one improving the team would be vastly expensive and not really needed.

It looks like a BS kind of a fantasy where if they keep throwing this around then the narrative will catch on. Then they can hope that Klopp will buy the narrative that we don't have any money & our squad is complete, while the clubs these journalists write about make progress in the window?

Our team is complete, not our squad, although it is close to. We've spent loads but only because we could afford to, we sold heavily (not just Coutinho, but other players adding to the overall sales), and we reached the CL final, and TV money. While all that has remained the same again, except the big sale and with our popularity & pedigree going higher, isn't it all bollocks? Not needed? How? We'll be in trouble if any one of Salah, Mane, Firmino, Robertson, or TAA gets injured. I'm not saying we should go VVD and Alisson in terms of spending, but I'd be thinking we can go Fabinho and Shaqiri, spend about 60m plus sales on a couple of players. Who can tell me legit that we don't even have the cash to do that?

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99617 on: May 17, 2019, 02:50:22 pm »

The lad that played LB in the Youth cup final, looked awesome to me, a bit rough around the edges, and possibly like camacho not a full back but was different class.

Anybody help me out with his name?

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #99618 on: May 17, 2019, 02:52:08 pm »
Larouchi.
AHA!

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99619 on: May 17, 2019, 02:53:36 pm »
yep that's him Larouchi. Thanks mate

looked big powerful fast and technical.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99620 on: May 17, 2019, 04:23:13 pm »
He's probably 2 years from being ready for PL level first team.  Needs to do it at U23 level then at pro level.  As he is a reasonably recent convert to LB, the challenges are greater and he would be exposed if rushed.  He did look very good and you would like to think both he and Adam Lewis would have very careful progression plans and we will monitor both.  That might be part of the difficulty with deciding whether to go for Lloyd Kelly - it would really risk shutting the door on promising slightly greener prospects we have coming through.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99621 on: May 17, 2019, 04:44:55 pm »
Hopefully Larouci gets a full season with the u23s against better, more physically developed players and isn't moved around a lot like Lewis, or kept away from the u23s like Hoever was.

For Lloyd Kelly, everything I've read about him paints him more as a Joe Gomez type fullback back, playing there to get minutes but long term more likely to be a centre back. He also seemed to lose the left back position to jay DaSilva for the second half of the season.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #99622 on: May 17, 2019, 06:01:35 pm »
What I really like about Woodburn and Brewster is their confidence.
You can see and hear it when they're interviewed.......and of course when they play.
This bodes well.
I think all the great players either have shining confidence or inner confidence....but confidence in their abilities to affect the game nevertheless.

The opposite would be players like Lazar Markovic.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99623 on: May 17, 2019, 07:09:33 pm »
What I really like about Woodburn and Brewster is their confidence.
You can see and hear it when they're interviewed.......and of course when they play.
This bodes well.
I think all the great players either have shining confidence or inner confidence....but confidence in their abilities to affect the game nevertheless.

The opposite would be players like Lazar Markovic.

Yes - likewise consider Trent, God, Owen, Stevie, Macca, Carra
Youth players breaking through at our level will have to feel they belong

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #99624 on: May 18, 2019, 08:34:12 am »
Both Adam Lewis and Yasser Larouci looks interesting for the future, none of them are ready to cover for Robertson yet in my opinion though. Adam should go on pre-season with us and then look for a loan while Larouci makes the step-up to the U23's.

Which "youngsters" do you think will join for pre-season? Wilson? Brewster? Woodburn? Ojo? Lewis? Hoever? Grabara?

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99625 on: May 18, 2019, 08:39:55 am »
Both Adam Lewis and Yasser Larouci looks interesting for the future, none of them are ready to cover for Robertson yet in my opinion though. Adam should go on pre-season with us and then look for a loan while Larouci makes the step-up to the U23's.

Which "youngsters" do you think will join for pre-season? Wilson? Brewster? Woodburn? Ojo? Lewis? Hoever? Grabara?

Wilson nailed on as firmino and salah will be back late

Brewster is first team squad now anyway so he’ll get a good run

I’d expect Grabara to go on tour as well but suspect  hoever won’t

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99626 on: May 18, 2019, 09:11:41 am »
Wilson nailed on as firmino and salah will be back late

Brewster is first team squad now anyway so he’ll get a good run

I’d expect Grabara to go on tour as well but suspect  hoever won’t

I think Hoever will be on tour. 
There'll be plenty of opportunity for the early games against lower opposition before they go on tour you would have thought with the Copa America, Africa Cup and Nations Cup, because so many of our players will need a good break.   But the missing players might be back midway through the tour.  I think the best of the rest up front (so not including current first team squad of Wilson, Brewster, Woodburn, Curtis Jones), is Liam Millar but not sure he's fancied and neither has he set the world on fire with Kilmarnock since January - although he's come off the bench is just about every game.    I'd really like Camacho to stay because I think he has quality, and is more consistent (a year older may be why) than Curtis Jones.  He'd get time on tour, but then he got time last year.  Glatzel and Duncan seem to come as a package, bit mean to give one a go and not the other, unless the headline the other day is true and Duncan wants to move on to further his career opportunities.  In one way I can understand that.  He's already wasted a year not playing while trying to leave Man City.  Still he has time on his side, he's only 17 or 18 and might have some growing to do, so probably should test himself in U23s more.

Christie Davies is probably one of the older U23s  who if not on the tour, needs to move on.  Ojo and Ejaria will be gone (I think). 

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #99627 on: May 18, 2019, 09:11:51 am »
Wondering would Kelleher or Grabara be considered as a no2 if Mignolet leaves  or best their playing regular at this stage of their development

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99628 on: May 18, 2019, 09:15:58 am »
Wondering would Kelleher or Grabara be considered as a no2 if Mignolet leaves  or best their playing regular at this stage of their development
They need games at whatever level they can get.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99629 on: May 18, 2019, 09:23:13 am »
They need games at whatever level they can get.
That’s my point as a no2 they won’t get games  even if good enough to be a no2

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99630 on: May 18, 2019, 09:27:25 am »
If true about Duncan seem he is getting worried about his future progression unnecessarily , still only 17 and Plenty of time , a season with the u23s seems the right pathway and then see where he at

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99631 on: May 18, 2019, 09:34:16 am »
If true about Duncan seem he is getting worried about his future progression unnecessarily , still only 17 and Plenty of time , a season with the u23s seems the right pathway and then see where he at

Problem with young stars now

They see 1 in 1000 breaking through at 17 and panic

Hopefully we show he can progress with us

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99632 on: May 18, 2019, 09:42:42 am »
I dont think there's anything wrong with players looking at their situation at any age and wondering if its the best thing for them. Next contract Duncan signs is likely going to be 3-5 years, taking him in to his early 20s which wil cover his break through in to senior footbaall. He isn't reportedly doing anything different to what Brewster or Solanke did for example. If you're not getting convincing gurantees from the club, or theyre signing players to bloke your path then it's the right thing to start looking elsewhere. People criticise youth players for just signing up for the loan farm of teams and for looking to move away from that.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99633 on: May 18, 2019, 09:50:26 am »
I dont think there's anything wrong with players looking at their situation at any age and wondering if its the best thing for them. Next contract Duncan signs is likely going to be 3-5 years, taking him in to his early 20s which wil cover his break through in to senior footbaall. He isn't reportedly doing anything different to what Brewster or Solanke did for example. If you're not getting convincing gurantees from the club, or theyre signing players to bloke your path then it's the right thing to start looking elsewhere. People criticise youth players for just signing up for the loan farm of teams and for looking to move away from that.

No fair points

Think he’ll have to stay for a little while yet unless he drops a level which he is too talented for

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99634 on: May 18, 2019, 10:18:30 am »
Wouldn't be worried about losing Duncan.

He will very likely be another Morgan. No outstanding attributes.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99635 on: May 18, 2019, 11:16:55 am »
Problem with young stars now

They see 1 in 1000 breaking through at 17 and panic

Hopefully we show he can progress with us

I’d guess he will know Sancho well enough with both Been at City

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #99636 on: May 18, 2019, 11:57:23 am »

But how much were we going to pay for Fekir last season? Surely we have cash for transfers.

I think the club is just trying to dampen the hopes of clubs and agents.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99637 on: May 18, 2019, 12:55:07 pm »
But how much were we going to pay for Fekir last season? Surely we have cash for transfers.

I think the club is just trying to dampen the hopes of clubs and agents.

More the Agents

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99638 on: May 18, 2019, 02:18:35 pm »
I think the best of the rest up front (so not including current first team squad of Wilson, Brewster, Woodburn, Curtis Jones), is Liam Millar but not sure he's fancied and neither has he set the world on fire with Kilmarnock since January - although he's come off the bench is just about every game

Just had a look on a Killie forum.  They like him, are surprised at Steve Clarke’s gradual, long term approach to playing him.  They seem to be making moves to another years loan and hope he will stay.  They fear Gerrard swooping.  Clarke rumoured to be appointed Scotland manager though.  But sounds like Millar has been doing quite well

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #99639 on: May 18, 2019, 02:20:12 pm »
Sky Sports News

Verified account

@SkySportsNews
 57m57 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: @AFCBournemouth have agreed a £13m fee with @BristolCity for defender Lloyd Kelly, according to Sky sources.
Y.N.W.A.