Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12250123 times)

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #99760 on: June 15, 2019, 11:29:51 pm »
Anyone know when we can expect to see a list of new first-year scholars in the academy? Always curious to see who will be taking the step up to the u18s. This year could be particularly interesting, as I think we'll see a lot of the FA youth cup winners take the step up to u23 level.
With so many u23 players off to find new opportunities, could be a year of significant change in the two main academy squads.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99761 on: June 16, 2019, 04:18:13 pm »
Anyone know when we can expect to see a list of new first-year scholars in the academy? Always curious to see who will be taking the step up to the u18s. This year could be particularly interesting, as I think we'll see a lot of the FA youth cup winners take the step up to u23 level.
With so many u23 players off to find new opportunities, could be a year of significant change in the two main academy squads.

No idea when.  It is usually a bit after they return for pre-season and some way through playing their first few friendlies.   But you’re right, it is potentially a huge cohort of second year U18s moving up: Boyes; Clayton; Dixon-B; Duncan; Glatzel; Jaros; Larouci; Longstaff; Raitanen; Sharif; Tagseth; Alex Turner; Varesanovic; Neco Williams; Rhys Williams; winterbottom. 

Even assuming Raitanen (barely played), Turner and Varesanovic (never seen play) are not offered contracts, you can understand why some of the others listed as ‘contract offered’ are unlikely to sign.

Who joins the U18s in the new season?  Well those LFC have bought recently, ie 2 from Sunderland one of which must be Luca Stephenson, Billy Koumetio, a CB bought from France in January, and the new Polish Goalie.   Now there seems to be less mention of those under 16 in any thread anywhere (probably a very good thing), it’s difficult to know who is progressing through the ranks unless you are family of friends of the boys.  But I’ve seen mention of a couple with Eng U16s caps, namely James Norris and Jarell Quansah.  Then there were those names in the U19 Ueafa champions League squad last season from the U16s, but can’t find that list anymore. 

Offline accyred

• Kemlynite
« Reply #99762 on: June 16, 2019, 05:14:20 pm »
Think that fa youth cup squad will test themselves in the checkatrade trophy With Liverpool entering an u21 team this season.

The competition is pants but will be a test against physical, strong football league sides.
In sunny Spain , we won it six times  🇪🇸

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99763 on: June 16, 2019, 05:33:41 pm »
It's something that's been happening since the 16-17 season, 16 under 21 teams from Premier and Championship, Don't like it myself, taking the chances away from a lower league team of winning a trophy

Yeah, it’s ridiculous. Why should the lower leagues reduce their chances of a Wembley trip and trophy to help PL clubs with competitive football for their academies? Chelsea have already made the semis, so they would have knocked a few clubs out along the way. I’d like to think the league one, and below, clubs are gaining financially from the arrangement?
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #99764 on: June 16, 2019, 05:37:22 pm »
Grabara playing in the Euro U21’s on Sky atm.
AHA!

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99765 on: June 16, 2019, 05:37:54 pm »
Looks like we've definitely signed Jakub Ojrzynski based off his Instagram. Polish media seem to suggest price is at least £200,000

https://www.instagram.com/p/BydROxUixmp/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

This was announced back in May. Juventus and United also tried to sign him. Must be highly rated.
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-clinch-transfer-deal-polish-16314607
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99766 on: June 16, 2019, 06:16:50 pm »
I think the sunderland players we just signed will be club u15s. Luca stephenson we signed from last year and us seperate to those 2. Also apparently we've agreed to send some academy players on loan there as part  of those deals.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99767 on: June 16, 2019, 06:33:59 pm »
Yeah, it’s ridiculous. Why should the lower leagues reduce their chances of a Wembley trip and trophy to help PL clubs with competitive football for their academies? Chelsea have already made the semis, so they would have knocked a few clubs out along the way. I’d like to think the league one, and below, clubs are gaining financially from the arrangement?

Very few league clubs were taking the competition seriously anyway so the change was as much to try and get them more interested as it was to try and satisfy bigger clubs. If youre going for promotion or battling relegation then this competition is the last thing you care about.

Not saying it's a good thing, but last season you had Sunderland vs Newcastle u21s and Port Vale vs Stoke u21s which were the most high profile games the competition has seen for years and drew attention to it that it hasn't received for a long time.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99768 on: June 16, 2019, 06:48:55 pm »
I think the sunderland players we just signed will be club u15s. Luca stephenson we signed from last year and us seperate to those 2. Also apparently we've agreed to send some academy players on loan there as part  of those deals.

Now that is interesting, and you’re obviously well informed.  I wonder is that was behind the sudden announcement by Sunderland  of Liam Miller signing for them last Summer?  Then the signing was off. 
Good if a couple of our go there on loan as with our numbers, they they’re more likely to get some game time there.  No slur on their academy intended.  It is surely better than their league position suggests. 

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99769 on: June 16, 2019, 07:05:59 pm »
Now that is interesting, and you’re obviously well informed.  I wonder is that was behind the sudden announcement by Sunderland  of Liam Miller signing for them last Summer?  Then the signing was off. 
Good if a couple of our go there on loan as with our numbers, they they’re more likely to get some game time there.  No slur on their academy intended.  It is surely better than their league position suggests.
I just read the loan bit in the chronicle haha. Their owner seems to have mentioned it a fan podcast

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/six-youngsters-sunderland-could-sign-16400174.amp

Their acdemy is certainly good enough to produce players at league one level, assuming top clubs dont keep all their decent ones.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 07:08:28 pm by Chris~ »

Offline accyred

• Kemlynite
« Reply #99770 on: June 16, 2019, 09:39:11 pm »

Don’t quote me 100% but I think I read they get 10Kfor every game they win in the group and then 100K every round they progress (or something along those lines) plus the small amount they’ll make from tickets etc
In sunny Spain , we won it six times  🇪🇸

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #99771 on: June 17, 2019, 03:22:23 am »
No idea when.  It is usually a bit after they return for pre-season and some way through playing their first few friendlies.   But you’re right, it is potentially a huge cohort of second year U18s moving up: Boyes; Clayton; Dixon-B; Duncan; Glatzel; Jaros; Larouci; Longstaff; Raitanen; Sharif; Tagseth; Alex Turner; Varesanovic; Neco Williams; Rhys Williams; winterbottom. 

Even assuming Raitanen (barely played), Turner and Varesanovic (never seen play) are not offered contracts, you can understand why some of the others listed as ‘contract offered’ are unlikely to sign.

Who joins the U18s in the new season?  Well those LFC have bought recently, ie 2 from Sunderland one of which must be Luca Stephenson, Billy Koumetio, a CB bought from France in January, and the new Polish Goalie.   Now there seems to be less mention of those under 16 in any thread anywhere (probably a very good thing), it’s difficult to know who is progressing through the ranks unless you are family of friends of the boys.  But I’ve seen mention of a couple with Eng U16s caps, namely James Norris and Jarell Quansah.  Then there were those names in the U19 Ueafa champions League squad last season from the U16s, but can’t find that list anymore.

Interesting note on the u16 internationals, wouldn’t have known that myself. Have to keep an eye out for their names popping up. I do imagine a significant amount of movement will happen so they could get a chance to shine for the u18s this coming year.

Excited to see the Stephenson lad also, seemed like that was regarded as a bit of a coup last year when we signed him.

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #99772 on: June 17, 2019, 01:59:16 pm »
Probably now a bit older for this thread but Sheyi Ojo is having a medical with Rangers today with a view to another loan
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99773 on: June 17, 2019, 07:05:22 pm »
The LFC website has Meet the Academy: Matteo Ritaccio article, which tends to suggest he is not leaving after one season here, which was previously suggested in one list of those going, I think by the Echo.  Bravo.  He looked a neat, technical player, just struggle to get some game time last season. 

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99774 on: June 17, 2019, 08:16:44 pm »
I don't get the Ibe/Ojo comparison, Ojo has much better movement and positioning and always looked like a potentially much more productive player. I don't think the series of loans and injuries have helped, plus he's not a super hard worker which is a must for a youngster trying to impress Klopp.

Offline g1norris

• Kemlynite
« Reply #99775 on: June 19, 2019, 12:39:42 pm »
But I’ve seen mention of a couple with Eng U16s caps, namely James Norris and Jarell Quansah.  Then there were those names in the U19 Ueafa champions League squad last season from the U16s, but can’t find that list anymore.

My 8 year old will love seeing someone with his name playing for Liverpool if James Norris makes it into the under 18's.
'In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside - Liverpool and Liverpool reserves.'

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99776 on: June 21, 2019, 07:57:05 pm »
As suggested by others before, at least elsewhere if not here, Patrick Raitanen has left.   He wasn’t on the released list but presumably decided he’d have more of a chance of playing abroad.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #99777 on: June 23, 2019, 03:19:41 pm »
LFC have signed a young Northern Irishman, Conor Bradley. Will join up in July when he turns 16. He's described as a winger with "blinding pace, mesmerizing skill and an eye for goal" by the Ulster Herald.

We are also linked with Rekeem Harper of WBA. 19 yo central midfielder who is soon to be out of contract.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99778 on: June 23, 2019, 04:38:39 pm »
Harper looked really good the couple times I've seen him but don't think it'd good for him to join us at this time.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99779 on: June 23, 2019, 05:04:56 pm »
LFC have signed a young Northern Irishman, Conor Bradley. Will join up in July when he turns 16. He's described as a winger with "blinding pace, mesmerizing skill and an eye for goal" by the Ulster Herald.

We are also linked with Rekeem Harper of WBA. 19 yo central midfielder who is soon to be out of contract.
Sounds like he could be a future Ballon D'or winner, going by that. Or standard newspaper hyperbole. Hopefully the former.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99780 on: June 23, 2019, 05:10:37 pm »
Harper looked really good the couple times I've seen him but don't think it'd good for him to join us at this time.

Possibly a Kevin Stewart type of signing, a player out of contract in a position where our U23 squad is short of players at.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #99781 on: June 23, 2019, 05:11:04 pm »
Sounds like he could be a future Ballon D'or winner, going by that. Or standard newspaper hyperbole. Hopefully the former.
The article definitely sounded like it was dictated by his mum lol. Always exciting to see new youngsters arrive nonetheless.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #99782 on: June 23, 2019, 05:14:55 pm »
Possibly a Kevin Stewart type of signing, a player out of contract in a position where our U23 squad is short of players at.
A much more highly rated youngster than Stewart was though, to be fair. Will be interesting to see if he thinks he can get immediate first team minutes elsewhere or decides to play the long game with us. His other "links" are to clubs like Spurs and Juve- so either his agent is just trying to attach his name to the big boys, or hes not making too many demands for first team football just yet.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99783 on: June 23, 2019, 05:19:04 pm »
The article definitely sounded like it was dictated by his mum lol. Always exciting to see new youngsters arrive nonetheless.
Definitely mate, I always enjoy when we sign youth players too. Especially when they sound like the bestest things ever.

In all seriousness, I do sometimes think it's an area we could be focusing on a little bit more. I wonder whether our current policy of not offering the big bucks to youngsters is hampering our ability to sign the very best youth players around. Would be a shame if so, but maybe it's for the best.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #99784 on: June 23, 2019, 05:32:14 pm »
Definitely mate, I always enjoy when we sign youth players too. Especially when they sound like the bestest things ever.

In all seriousness, I do sometimes think it's an area we could be focusing on a little bit more. I wonder whether our current policy of not offering the big bucks to youngsters is hampering our ability to sign the very best youth players around. Would be a shame if so, but maybe it's for the best.

I think it's partly an issue with the youth setups in England as well. Such a massive gap between the u23 level and first team football, which is why I think we are seeing more kids going abroad now. I'm not sure what the solution to this is, but with very few teams in the top half of the table consistently bedding in their top youngsters, you can see why more might be hesitant to sign up.

On the bright side, the article on the Bradley lad mentions that he's been training sporadically with LFC for the past year, and even went on that trip to Germany with them when they won the indoor tourney. That at least speaks to our dedication to finding these potential gems early on.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99785 on: June 23, 2019, 06:01:54 pm »
Hes a lot better than stewart was and was already getting decent minutes in the championship. Wouldn't make sense to sign to play for our u23s  when he could play at a much higher level now.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99786 on: June 24, 2019, 07:21:21 am »
Hes a lot better than stewart was and was already getting decent minutes in the championship. Wouldn't make sense to sign to play for our u23s  when he could play at a much higher level now.

Maybe the club will just loan him to a better team? Win, win for all concerned really.

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99787 on: June 24, 2019, 08:19:06 am »
I think it's partly an issue with the youth setups in England as well. Such a massive gap between the u23 level and first team football, which is why I think we are seeing more kids going abroad now. I'm not sure what the solution to this is, but with very few teams in the top half of the table consistently bedding in their top youngsters, you can see why more might be hesitant to sign up.

On the bright side, the article on the Bradley lad mentions that he's been training sporadically with LFC for the past year, and even went on that trip to Germany with them when they won the indoor tourney. That at least speaks to our dedication to finding these potential gems early on.

Another problem that comes from there being too much at stake in the PL. That and the fact that you can lose 1 game all season and still not be champions. The PL is so short sighted.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #99788 on: June 27, 2019, 03:33:41 pm »
I see Abdi Sharif has now signed his first professional contract, so he is staying.  On the official site if you don't believe me!

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99789 on: June 27, 2019, 03:43:04 pm »
our coaches must see something special in abdi to get him to sign on the dotted line.

any idea what kind of midfielder he is?

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #99790 on: June 27, 2019, 08:49:11 pm »
our coaches must see something special in abdi to get him to sign on the dotted line.

any idea what kind of midfielder he is?

My impression is he is closest to Hendo.  Good running power, some ability on the ball, just keeps going
He seems one of those "handy" players.  One of those midfielders who can do a bit of everything but doesn't have one outstanding attribute.  But that's my take from limited viewing, others might know more

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99792 on: June 28, 2019, 05:20:51 am »
What happened with Camacho? I thought he had a bright future here.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99793 on: June 28, 2019, 06:59:17 am »

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99794 on: June 28, 2019, 07:00:20 am »
He was never going to get any real playing time here and wanted out. I never really got where all the hype came from, he wasnt as good as good as ojo/kent/canos/wilson were for the academy and they've all struggled to get near the first team. He was also never a right back so it was odd he was with the first team as cover for there.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #99795 on: June 28, 2019, 08:49:21 am »
We wanted to give him game time at right back.

He only wants to play as a forward.  So he chose to move on.

Amicable agreement I reckon
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99796 on: June 28, 2019, 09:41:15 am »
Camacho officially gone.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/354846-rafael-camacho-completes-transfer-to-sporting-cp

Shame but he wanted to play as a forward instead of RB but should of waited because we do need cover for our front 3 and he could of been that.

Great deal though for us considering he has 1 year left on his contract plus we get 20% sell on and have buy back on him plus we might have first pick to sign Bruno.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 09:47:35 am by Fordy »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #99798 on: June 29, 2019, 01:33:56 pm »
Best of luck , feel we’ve let a good one slip away

Offline The Naby Keita fan club

• Kopite
« Reply #99799 on: June 30, 2019, 11:44:04 am »
Hi lads, anyone seeing Taiwo Awoniyi enough to give a proper scout report of this guy and what type of forward he is? Still any chance he will make it to the first team of LFC? cheers