Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12250428 times)

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #99680 on: May 23, 2019, 04:00:37 am »
Joyce and Hunter are reporting that Ojo will be offered a new five year deal and then sent back on loan next season
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/22/liverpool-champions-league-spain-friendly-jurgen-klopp

I get the feeling that Klopp has a lot more patience then most when it comes to young players development

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #99681 on: May 23, 2019, 06:54:44 am »
Saw a headline on SSN that says Saints, Brighton and Newcastle interested in £25m rated Harry Wilson.
Really hope we keep this lad, looks a real talent, we can't just sell our best young players, even for good money.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #99682 on: May 23, 2019, 07:26:50 am »
Saw a headline on SSN that says Saints, Brighton and Newcastle interested in £25m rated Harry Wilson.
Really hope we keep this lad, looks a real talent, we can't just sell our best young players, even for good money.

It’s great when academy players come through and make it, and Harry is a cracking talent, but realistically you have to back the manager on these decisions. Look where we’re at, and how many of the young players we’ve sold in the last 5 years would we now be clamouring to get back because they’d make the match day squad? Probably none.
If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99683 on: May 23, 2019, 07:40:40 am »
Joyce and Hunter are reporting that Ojo will be offered a new five year deal and then sent back on loan next season
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/22/liverpool-champions-league-spain-friendly-jurgen-klopp
Think.at this point he's better off not signing and making a permanent move somewhere to try and kick start his career

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99684 on: May 23, 2019, 07:42:19 am »
It’s great when academy players come through and make it, and Harry is a cracking talent, but realistically you have to back the manager on these decisions. Look where we’re at, and how many of the young players we’ve sold in the last 5 years would we now be clamouring to get back because they’d make the match day squad? Probably none.
Only one I can think of that would be worth it would be Gulacsi and he not good enough to start over Alisson. He also at the age where u want to start as a Goalie.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99685 on: May 23, 2019, 08:07:33 am »
Think.at this point he's better off not signing and making a permanent move somewhere to try and kick start his career

Possibly but at the same time Football is not always full of stability. Any manner of things can go wrong and knowing you have a five year contract to fall back on at a club like ours is a huge incentive.

If he does well he will have clubs after and if not we are always there plus being at Liverpool will always attract attention of other clubs.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #99686 on: May 23, 2019, 08:09:02 am »

I do trust the manager, however whilst you can argue how much game time he will get I do feel Wilson is a cut above the likes of Brad Smith and Ibe.
He has an eye for goal, and is very good at set pieces, anyway I hope we keep him.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:18:36 am by Frank Becton »
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99687 on: May 23, 2019, 08:18:10 am »

Klopp rates Harry and Harry said Klopp is always on the phone to him.

A lot of senior players will miss most of the pre season and Harry plus others will have a major part in this years pre season.

I doubt we would sell such talent at this early stage. I can see him on our bench next season or loaned out to a PL club.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99688 on: May 23, 2019, 08:22:21 am »
Possibly but at the same time Football is not always full of stability. Any manner of things can go wrong and knowing you have a five year contract to fall back on at a club like ours is a huge incentive.

If he does well he will have clubs after and if not we are always there plus being at Liverpool will always attract attention of other clubs.
True, but the loan market makes it harder to get that chance to shine. A slow start and that's you pretty much done as the club look to their other loans or players they can actually profit off.

He signed a long term deal last summer so surprised we're already looking to extend it after an unsuccessful loan.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99689 on: May 23, 2019, 08:23:23 am »

Conor Coady has probably kicked on more than what most expected.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99690 on: May 23, 2019, 08:24:40 am »
After the article in the NYT, I feel as if any decision made by the club on players is grounded on valid inferential stats that accurately predict future success. Whoever is let go and signed, I am cool with it for now.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99691 on: May 23, 2019, 08:27:25 am »

Suso and Coady might make our squad now.

We don't need to spend loads in the summer and I think it would be also pointless selling top talent that want to be at the club.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #99692 on: May 23, 2019, 09:08:59 am »
Klopp rates Harry and Harry said Klopp is always on the phone to him.

A lot of senior players will miss most of the pre season and Harry plus others will have a major part in this years pre season.

I doubt we would sell such talent at this early stage. I can see him on our bench next season or loaned out to a PL club.

That’s a big boost if the manager is always on the phone to him!!

Could you post the link to that interview please mate :)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99693 on: May 23, 2019, 10:19:30 am »

Have to agree with that. He isn't getting a sniff here for the foreseeable not in midfield or as a forward at least. The only way I can see him working here is if he converts to full-back. He has the physical qualities, but does he have the tactical nous?
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99694 on: May 23, 2019, 01:08:34 pm »
Suso and Coady might make our squad now.
Only because they've been getting valuable game time elsewhere.

There's no way either would be near the starting line-up.

Offline KingKolo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99695 on: May 23, 2019, 01:12:31 pm »
Have to agree with that. He isn't getting a sniff here for the foreseeable not in midfield or as a forward at least. The only way I can see him working here is if he converts to full-back. He has the physical qualities, but does he have the tactical nous?
Makes total sense to sign the lad up and then hope he does enough on loan to bring in some money.

If he does amazingly well elsewhere and starts living up to the hint of potential he was showing a few years ago, then maybe there's even a route back for him. After all, we thought Origi's Liverpool career was dead and buried.

If he does quite well elsewhere, then we can sell him for a profit on what we sold him for.

If he bombs to shit, then we haven't really lost anything as long as the contract we've given him isn't too silly. He can just keep going out on loan until a permanent move materialises, or his deal runs out, whichever happens soonest.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99696 on: May 23, 2019, 02:11:22 pm »
Only because they've been getting valuable game time elsewhere.

There's no way either would be near the starting line-up.

But that's why it makes no sense selling top talent so early.

If they're willing sign a deal with the club and go out on loan then we bring them back as squad fillers to see how they get on.

As shown with Wilson and Kent we can still increase their value doing it this way.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99697 on: May 23, 2019, 02:24:58 pm »
Makes total sense to sign the lad up and then hope he does enough on loan to bring in some money.

Yes, from our POV. From his? Depends how good the money is I suppose.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99698 on: May 23, 2019, 02:31:07 pm »

If they're willing sign a deal with the club and go out on loan then we bring them back as squad fillers to see how they get on.

As shown with Wilson and Kent we can still increase their value doing it this way.

How do you know Suso and Coady weren’t offered long term contracts and instead chose to leave? Same source as your Wilson interview?  ;)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline KingKolo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99699 on: May 23, 2019, 07:16:44 pm »

Yeah, I guess that's right.

As long as the player is playing games and advancing their career, then we might as well hold the registration and be in position to make some money.

But I do think a player is more likely to bed in and excel at a club if they know it's their permanent home.

Offline KingKolo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99700 on: May 23, 2019, 07:17:38 pm »
How do you know Suso and Coady weren’t offered long term contracts and instead chose to leave? Same source as your Wilson interview?  ;)
They left before Edwards was in charge of such things, but you're right, we don't know for sure what the situation was.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99701 on: May 23, 2019, 09:19:52 pm »

I think you're right, they actually was.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99702 on: May 23, 2019, 10:30:59 pm »
I think you're right, they actually was.

Suso certainly either ran it down or bought it out a few months early.

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #99703 on: May 30, 2019, 03:14:51 am »
Seems like Tagseth is leaving, sadly...

Read it on Paul Glatzel Insta-story.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99704 on: June 1, 2019, 02:36:46 pm »
Really sad to hear about Tagseth.  Loved his tenacity in his first season in the U18s under Gerrard.

It seems we have 2 kids from Sunderland joining us next season according to the Echo. 

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99705 on: June 1, 2019, 06:20:51 pm »
Gutted if Tagseth is off, love his playstyle and think he could become a wonderful talent. Really smart player

Offline KingKolo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99706 on: June 5, 2019, 04:09:06 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/05/premier-league-youth-teams-reality-brighton-coach-simon-rusk

“I can’t blame [Hughton] for not giving younger players an opportunity,” says Rusk. “To play a young player you’ve got to put three, four or five noses out of joint in the dressing room. So, unless it’s an absolute screaming talent, it’s a hard thing to do. You need to keep all your squad happy as you are going to war once or twice a week. It’s incredibly tough in the Premier League as there’s millions of pounds resting on every finishing position.”

Imagine it's the same at LFC, except more so.

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99707 on: June 5, 2019, 04:20:09 pm »
Any updates on Ojo, has that contract extension been mentioned ?

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #99708 on: June 5, 2019, 04:25:28 pm »

Suso was the mistake but he was badly managed by Rodgers. When he did start he'd be hauled off early because Rodgers had got his tactics wrong rather than anything Suso had done wrong particularly. When he came off the bench he'd usually make a big impact but he was rarely used off the bench at all and went months and months without minutes. He could have easily been developed into a good squad player. It's no wonder he ran his contract down.

Coady maybe the same but it wasn't until Nuno came in at Wolves and built a system that worked for him and he really matured as a player. Before that he was an average Championship player in terms of his standing. I always thought he could come good though, he reminded me of Carragher who also took time to mature but got the minutes here to do it. The difference now though is Carra wouldn't have got the years at full back to do it because the nature of the position has changed.

Rossiter was another one I thought could come back to bite us but he's been absolutely battered by injuries at Rangers.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #99709 on: June 5, 2019, 11:07:54 pm »
Once Klopp comes back from his well earned break, plans will inevitably turn to the pre-season. I am wondering who has a good chance of making the pre-season tour. The African players may still be away or at least on their hols, which youngsters will make the cut this season. There has been some good performances at both under 18's and the under 23's who does everyone want to see on the tour?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99710 on: June 5, 2019, 11:18:20 pm »
Once Klopp comes back from his well earned break, plans will inevitably turn to the pre-season. I am wondering who has a good chance of making the pre-season tour. The African players may still be away or at least on their hols, which youngsters will make the cut this season. There has been some good performances at both under 18's and the under 23's who does everyone want to see on the tour?

Curtis Jones, Larouci maybe?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99711 on: June 6, 2019, 12:25:00 am »

I think Curtis is a given Larouci is someone I would really like to see out there really enjoyed watching him this season. I will throw in a few more names, Ki-Jana Hoever, Adam Lewis, Edvard Tagseth, Luis Longstaff, Paul Glatzel and Bobby Duncan perhaps a couple from that group as well. I would really like a few to go on this tour especially with possibly some familiar faces missing, be fascinating to see who makes an impression.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99712 on: June 6, 2019, 07:17:17 am »
Doubt Tagseth, Jill, if it's true he's leaving. I'd love to see Larouci and Hoever on this tour.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99713 on: June 6, 2019, 07:31:22 am »
Unless they have a loan already sorted wilson, ojo and kent will be going. Then with those who usually train up in Jones, hoever, phillips, woodburn, camacho if he stays, Herbie Kane as well if hes not on loan. Don't think there is going to be many new faces initially.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2019, 07:51:08 am by Chris~ »

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99714 on: June 6, 2019, 10:31:42 am »
Rhys Williams might be in with a shout.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99715 on: June 6, 2019, 01:38:24 pm »
What kind of player is this Larouci? Remember hearing good things when we signed him and thats continued in his time here but i haven't seen him play. Whats his playstyle and am i right in thinking he came in as a winger but is playing as more of a fullback or have i completely made that up?

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99716 on: June 6, 2019, 02:39:17 pm »
What kind of player is this Larouci? Remember hearing good things when we signed him and thats continued in his time here but i haven't seen him play. Whats his playstyle and am i right in thinking he came in as a winger but is playing as more of a fullback or have i completely made that up?

Judging by the final, he's a LB with a lot of energy and aggression. Was our best player on the day. I'd imagine he's some way off being given an opportunity with the first team as he hasn't even progressed fully from the U18s to the U23s yet.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99717 on: June 6, 2019, 02:53:02 pm »
Judging by the final, he's a LB with a lot of energy and aggression. Was our best player on the day. I'd imagine he's some way off being given an opportunity with the first team as he hasn't even progressed fully from the U18s to the U23s yet.

Cheers mate, sounds good. I'm not too worried with the whole first team thing as i'd assume he's behind Lewis in that pecking order anyway

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99718 on: June 6, 2019, 07:20:45 pm »
Unless they have a loan already sorted wilson, ojo and kent will be going. Then with those who usually train up in Jones, hoever, phillips, woodburn, camacho if he stays, Herbie Kane as well if hes not on loan. Don't think there is going to be many new faces initially.

Not even Adam Lewis or Hoever?

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99719 on: June 6, 2019, 07:22:37 pm »
Jones was on the tour last year would expect him to be on the tour again.