Author Topic: FM10 SPL World Domination Simulation Draft - Discussion thread!  (Read 21815 times)

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: FM10 SPL World Domination Simulation Draft - Sign-up and discussion
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2019, 11:25:06 am »
I'd have loved a crack at this, but I'm on holiday next week, so can't unfortunately  :(

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2019, 11:31:45 am »
I'd have loved a crack at this, but I'm on holiday next week, so can't unfortunately  :(

Dammit. When would your first date of availability be?
Linudden.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2019, 11:40:27 am »
I return on Saturday, so it'd be some time that evening.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2019, 11:47:22 am »
I return on Saturday, so it'd be some time that evening.

It might work, actually. We're still only in the Last 16 stage of the other draft. I don't know what Elzar's plan are in terms of running the QF's and SF's in parallel, but by my estimation it's probably only finished in the middle of next week. I think it could work out regardless.

People do have more time doing picking during weekends anyway, so starting sometime there might work  :wave Starting on Saturday the 30th before lunch that is. If we have to start it a bit sooner than that, me as an FM10 expert could pick someone epic in your place in round one.

So, which side would you want?  ;)
Linudden.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2019, 11:50:18 am »
Fair enough, Motherwell please  :D

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2019, 11:59:58 am »
It might work, actually. We're still only in the Last 16 stage of the other draft. I don't know what Elzar's plan are in terms of running the QF's and SF's in parallel, but by my estimation it's probably only finished in the middle of next week. I think it could work out regardless.

People do have more time doing picking during weekends anyway, so starting sometime there might work  :wave Starting on Saturday the 30th before lunch that is. If we have to start it a bit sooner than that, me as an FM10 expert could pick someone epic in your place in round one.

So, which side would you want?  ;)

The 90s draft will be finished Wednesday.

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2019, 12:03:14 pm »
The 90s draft will be finished Wednesday.

Great. A two-day gap won't do any harm.

Are you up for this btw? :thumbup
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 12:08:39 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2019, 12:08:02 pm »
Fair enough, Motherwell please  :D

Also gives you Stevie's lookalike, scouser Steve Jennings!

They'd better be related. Seriously, he could've been his brother  ;D
Linudden.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2019, 02:09:48 pm »
Falkirk and Kilmarnock to go...

Someone invite Viva and Chakan --- and we be done.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2019, 02:39:17 pm »
Falkirk and Kilmarnock to go...

Someone invite Viva and Chakan --- and we be done.

KillieRed made hints he was ready to go for Killie, but let's see when/if he shows up  :D
Linudden.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2019, 02:57:28 pm »
KillieRed made hints he was ready to go for Killie, but let's see when/if he shows up  :D

Fantastic - he's a good one!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2019, 04:28:16 pm »
Fantastic - he's a good one!

Anyway, heaven forbid, we'd be stuck at 10, we'll still go in one week. Mentality monsters and all that  :wave
Linudden.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2019, 04:34:54 pm »
Yes I am here, as Kilmarnock.

That leaves Falkirk, a team we beat in the 1997 Scottish Cup Final. I was there.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2019, 04:43:47 pm »
Yes I am here, as Kilmarnock.

That leaves Falkirk, a team we beat in the 1997 Scottish Cup Final. I was there.

:thumbup
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2019, 08:40:10 pm »
Scott Arfield and his buddies at Falkirk are looking for a drafter-in-chief so he can get better company on the pitch  ;)

Fanciful bump that. Either way, any suitors?
Linudden.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2019, 04:25:14 pm »
Any luck Linudden? 

Would be willing to take Falkirk if someone wants Hearts instead --- not a problem. 

But I suspect the issue is not the team or drafting slot but the time involved.

Flexible here,

Trend
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2019, 05:15:33 pm »
No luck so far. Any ideas of people to invite? If we need to go with 11, we will. Then no-one will get relegated at least  ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 05:37:20 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2019, 11:35:54 pm »
Just to make sure I've gotten this right. The draft is from a fixed time and everyone makes their pick when it's their turn and then the years are simulated in fm? If so then I'd give it a try with Falkirk...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 11:41:26 pm by stoa »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2019, 11:38:57 pm »
Just to make sure I've gotten this right. The draft is from a fixed time and everyone makes their pick when it's their turn and then the years are stimulated in fm? If so then I'd give it a try with Falkirk...

Fantastic mate!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2019, 11:48:00 pm »
Just to make sure I've gotten this right. The draft is from a fixed time and everyone makes their pick when it's their turn and then the years are simulated in fm? If so then I'd give it a try with Falkirk...

Yes.

It starts on Saturday evening, free choice of any player in the football world (not in Scotland) who was active in 2010, eleven picks and then the game will simulate the teams versus one another for seven years in Football Manager with the players being tied to the club through the FM editor's "will end careet at club" function.

I'll sign you up for Falkirk rightaway! We then only have one First Division entry left and then entries are closed :thumbup
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
I'd like there to be one more sign-up if there's interest so that there's always 12 competitive teams in the top flight - even after one team has to be relegated after each year!

Any takers?
Linudden.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Great. A two-day gap won't do any harm.

Are you up for this btw? :thumbup
Sorry mate, I'm away until Wednesday now so will be no good
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
Sorry mate, I'm away until Wednesday now so will be no good

Ah. Okay. Sorry to hear, but I wish you a nice travel regardless  :wave
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
Selections will start 10 am UK time on Sunday due to the Saturday collision with the Brighton game  :wave
Linudden.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
Struggling with this a bit.

No idea who is a good pick really. Some are obvious like Benzema, but hard to know how good of a pick Torres, Suarez, Cavani, Neymar, Diego Costa will be.

Benzema was great at the time and is of the right age. The others were either slightly before their peaks or slightly after. I'm thinking the order you'd put the in, in hindsight is very different from the order you put them in for this.

You've got to imagine, off the back of 08/09, Torres is a far better pick than Suarez (who is just about to have his huge Ajax season but only had decent one the season before).
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
Struggling with this a bit.

No idea who is a good pick really. Some are obvious like Benzema, but hard to know how good of a pick Torres, Suarez, Cavani, Neymar, Diego Costa will be.

Benzema was great at the time and is of the right age. The others were either slightly before their peaks or slightly after. I'm thinking the order you'd put the in, in hindsight is very different from the order you put them in for this.

You've got to imagine, off the back of 08/09, Torres is a far better pick than Suarez (who is just about to have his huge Ajax season but only had decent one the season before).

Diego Costa is really mediocre and playing for Valladolid in that game. Stay away! Base it on the 08-09 season performances really.
Linudden.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
Diego Costa is really mediocre and playing for Valladolid in that game. Stay away! Base it on the 08-09 season performances really.

Haha that's helpful.

I looked at those and for Costa he looks like the numbers are decent for someone his age but nothing suggesting stardom.

So really we want to find lists of up and comers from 2008-09 season.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
Haha that's helpful.

I looked at those and for Costa he looks like the numbers are decent for someone his age but nothing suggesting stardom.

So really we want to find lists of up and comers from 2008-09 season.

Pretty much so. If a player delivered first half of 2009-10 they'll also be good. For example, I've seen Lukaku become world-class in that game based upon what he did that autumn. Another such example is actually former Red Danny Wilson but since he's at Rangers in the game he's not draftable since he's a Scottish-based player and only players from outside the Scottish league system at the time are able to be drafted. Not that there'd be a huge demand for SPL players among the 132 draft slots of the world's crême-de-la-crême  ;D

The playable nations in the database I'll simulate will be England, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Scotland, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland by the way, just so that was clear. I doubt these clubs will be able to poach many regens anyway due to the lowly staus of Scottish football, but at least that offers a more competitive playing field and more credible opponents in Europe to allow the game to have a 42 k-strong player database.

In either case selecting someone at 30 and they'll still last a good few years if they were world-class when the game started. It's a balance between top-heavy and winning early and low-heavy, potentially getting relegated and having to fight back later on. Merely looking for wonderkids won't cut it at all because if they don't get European experience and stuff they'll struggle to develop as well as they otherwise would. Remember that Scottish teams also had mediocre coaches compared to those in the big four leagues. Player development therefore ought to be a bit tough, which is why an older squad might actually work. Above all, this is a really interesting experiment for the game that I've been tempted to run myself, but it's more fun when other select players too :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 04:22:34 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
Loads of people probably wanted Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink... :D

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
Loads of people probably wanted Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink... :D

He's at Hull, but when up against the best defenders in the world I doubt they do  ;D
Linudden.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Selections will start 10 am UK time on Sunday due to the Saturday collision with the Brighton game  :wave

That's 5am my time mate... just so we are clear will not be up until the earliest at 6am --- so the 10th pick may be made after the first hour of drafting
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
That's 5am my time mate... just so we are clear will not be up until the earliest at 6am --- so the 10th pick may be made after the first hour of drafting

Sure. It's okay. I think people should be given six hours to make their pick and if it takes longer the one who misses out gets the first pick when they show up. I for one ain't online all day every day  ;D
Linudden.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Sure. It's okay. I think people should be given six hours to make their pick and if it takes longer the one who misses out gets the first pick when they show up. I for one ain't online all day every day  ;D

Time zones, man!
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
Time zones, man!

Indeed! Some nasty fuckers. The good part is that it's night what seems like day round this time of the year anyway.

Given drafting has worked before, I think setting a time like six hours for first dibs and then one can jump in and pick someone after that if they're next in line could make things a bit smoother perhaps and then the original pick gets theirs the moment they log on. I don't have the perfect answer though, but I'm not a fan of "picking for someone" because they're asleep. The difference between #72 and #73 picks aren't that great of course.

Should we do eight hours first dibs though? That's a sleep cycle after all and I'm a draft host rookie ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 05:28:51 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
Re: FM10 SPL World Domination Simulation Draft - Dundee United still available!
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2019, 01:21:53 pm »
RobbieRedman announced he was pulling out in a PM to me, so now we need to fill Dundee United, alternatively if someone wants to rather be them feel free to make the leap  :wave

Any ideas of people to PM an invite?
Linudden.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2019, 01:56:35 pm »
I’ll flip to Dundee United if that’s alright and I’m available to start tomorrow.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2019, 02:02:13 pm »
I’ll flip to Dundee United if that’s alright and I’m available to start tomorrow.

Okay! I'll fix that rightaway!

We'll start on Sunday before lunch courtesy of tomorrow being an Anfield matchday where I'm sure many RAWK-ites will attend. Mikey asked me to postpone the initial plans so there's a tiny delay so that everyone can focus on the game  :)

Now, Motherwell is the one club that don't have a drafter yet! Feel free to join in! If we'd end up 11 that's also okay though, that means no-one of us would get relegated during the sim.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 04:44:11 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
Re: FM10 SPL World Domination Simulation Draft - Motherwell still available!
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2019, 05:14:26 pm »
Give me Motherwell

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
Linudden.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: FM10 SPL World Domination Simulation Draft - Late 1st Div entry possible!
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2019, 12:18:56 am »
Linudden,

What do you think about drafting 12 players (1 extra for the bench --- even though the benches are filled with SPL's finest?)

I am thinking there are a hand full of players who started their careers 2010/11 season and could begin their careers on the bench - but be very useful down the line?

Thoughts
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN: