Author Topic: The Daniel Sturridge  (Read 289181 times)

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: The Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #1400 on: January 10, 2019, 12:04:51 am »
Us signing a striker and Newcastle is completely different, most teams usually have a striker delivering the goals.
Newcastle are getting a meagre return from Rondon hence why Sturridge would be needed as a starter.

But it doesn't mean he has to start 38 games as clubs can have more than one goalscorer.

If he wants to play in the PL, he'll have offers from PL clubs in the summer. 

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1401 on: January 10, 2019, 12:12:49 am »
Us signing a striker and Newcastle is completely different, most teams usually have a striker delivering the goals.
Newcastle are getting a meagre return from Rondon hence why Sturridge would be needed as a starter.

Not sure 5 in 15 for a poor Newcastle side is meagre from him, his issue is being on the pitch, keeps getting niggly injuries.

But hes only on loan anyway so they will need a striker come the summer.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:14:26 am by blacksun »

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #1402 on: January 10, 2019, 12:14:00 am »
But it doesn't mean he has to start 38 games as clubs can have more than one goalscorer.

If he wants to play in the PL, he'll have offers from PL clubs in the summer.

He probably will which more shows the stupidity of EPL clubs just like the appointments of Allerdeci et al.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #1403 on: January 10, 2019, 12:14:47 am »
Not sure 5 in 15 for a poor Newcastle side is meagre from him, his issue is being on the pitch, keeps getting niggly injuries.

So Sturridge is the perfect anecdote  ;D

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1404 on: January 10, 2019, 12:18:23 am »
He probably will which more shows the stupidity of EPL clubs just like the appointments of Allerdeci et al.

I think that's nonsense.

But then I don't think Sturridge is some broken shell of a player - he's 29 and has stayed fit, and he's proven more than once this season that his instincts and quality of finishing are as sharp as ever.  You'd think he was Victor Anichebe going by some of the stuff posted about him recently.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1405 on: January 10, 2019, 12:37:16 am »
If Klopp doesn't doubt it then that's fine with me. Klopp sets great store by a player's character, he'd be out the door by now if Klopp didn't trust him. Given his terrible injury history the fact that he is still here tells us something about how Klopp thinks of him.
This is good. Far too many body-language experts. I've been told he's mentally weak, gay but too afraid to come out, a Christian ashamed of his God-given talent. To be fair I haven't been told he's a boozer - Rooney, Fellaini - a coke fiend - Rooney, Gerrard - a gipsy living in the park - Carroll.
To me, he's an exceptional footballer who's been exceptionally unlucky injury-wise.

Personally, I'd keep him. But if he left I would just want to see him have an amazing season, a run of games, to show everybody how good he actually is - by far the most intuitive English striker, attacker of his generation.

And to go back to the beginning, his debut, half-time, Old Trafford, 2-0 down, he appeared for a tap-in. We hadn't had that for years.

As you've said, if Klopp hasn't shifted him, his attitude must be spot on.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #1406 on: January 10, 2019, 01:49:13 am »
Ok, what i saw against Wolves was two forwards in Origi and Sturridge. I saw one player, who had more desire and worked as hard off the ball as he did on it. I also saw one player who looked like he could be passed to. At half time commentary, there was no singling out, Alan Shearer laid into both of them and i thought he got it half wrong. Now i am not trying to say i know more about strikers or football than Alan Shearer. However in my opinion i felt they were both responsible for not scoring, but one made the other look bad. In the second half Divock came back a number of times to help out in defence and i was impressed with the way he held up the ball and his size that meant he kept the ball. I don't know if it is attitude, but it sure as hell looks like it with Sturridge. You'd look stupid trying to pass to him and losing the ball. You don't see Salah moping and hiding in behind defenders.  Look at his work rate at Bournemouth. So thats why i was left feeling Sturridge is finished at our club. After Chelsea away i thought he was back.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1407 on: January 10, 2019, 07:36:35 am »
He is still class on the ball, and is good at linking the play (see his second half against Burnley), can score from nothing occasionally, but he can’t run, he can’t handle defenders physically (never been great at winning headers or challenges, but is now even worse). Not sure what team he’d suit. Most teams lower in the table hit long, and expect their forward to win duels, you’re not going to get that from Sturridge.

I think he can be useful at times for us however, as he has been this season already, when we dominate the ball and can have him in and around the penalty area with as little running as possible. That means at the end of games when we’re not winning, but not when we look to counter and not when we expect a more chaotic game. I doubt he be able to play many full games regardless of opposition, but will come off the bench when we need a goal or have big lead to give Salah/Firmino a little rest.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1408 on: January 10, 2019, 05:08:47 pm »
If Klopp doesn't doubt it then that's fine with me. Klopp sets great store by a player's character, he'd be out the door by now if Klopp didn't trust him. Given his terrible injury history the fact that he is still here tells us something about how Klopp thinks of him.

Except he was out the door this time last season on loan at West Brom. As you say he has a terrible record with injuries and is also on huge wages so offloading him would be very difficult.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #1409 on: January 11, 2019, 09:24:13 am »
Except he was out the door this time last season on loan at West Brom. As you say he has a terrible record with injuries and is also on huge wages so offloading him would be very difficult.

Klopp clearly is the type of manager that lets players leave that want to leave and Sturridge wanted a chance of getting into the England squad as it was clearly the last time he'd be able to play in an international competition.
Offloading Sturridge isn't an issue as he is out of contract in the summer.

The important thing, for now, is that he has the ability to influence tight games as long as he is given the ball in and around the opposition penalty area. That's all I care about, anything outside of that I couldn't give a fuck about.

Offline Yesitsanextender

• Colonel Mustard in the en-suite bathroom with a lead pipe.
  • Anny Roader
  • i love klopp, kloppy klopp klopp, down in my belly
« Reply #1410 on: January 11, 2019, 09:52:04 am »
I honestly haven't felt more frustration about a player more than Sturridge before....He has something that most players don't when hes on the ball..he has a unique talent of hitting a ball harder than I've ever seen with next to no pull back and he can turn players in a way that most wouldn't know how to...He has massive confidence to his determent because it doesn't come through most of the time..

These last few years i have seen Sturridge become less involved with the football world and possibly he has something else he'd like to achieve some day.  I can only assume, but to me he comes over as a difficult person to be around if things don't go his own way and hence the sulking performances.

Its so frustrating to have a player of his unique quality in the squad not utilising it for the benefit of himself and the club. Personally Strurridge owes Liverpool a huge amount of gratitude, regardless if people believe otherwise.

yes he is an impact player off the bench but I honestly think he can be that starter too but playing a deeper role. he doesn't have Firmino's tenacity but he matches him in regards to skill set and technique. Also to add fuel, he's not injured now so i cant get my head round it other than he personally thinks that maybe hes done with football...i could be wrong

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1411 on: January 11, 2019, 05:14:13 pm »
Klopp clearly is the type of manager that lets players leave that want to leave and Sturridge wanted a chance of getting into the England squad as it was clearly the last time he'd be able to play in an international competition.
Offloading Sturridge isn't an issue as he is out of contract in the summer.

The important thing, for now, is that he has the ability to influence tight games as long as he is given the ball in and around the opposition penalty area. That's all I care about, anything outside of that I couldn't give a fuck about.

For him to influence games though he has to be match fit and sharp. To get that sharpness he needs minutes under his belt. That means effectively weakening your team in the hope that he can pull off a bit of magic like he did at Chelsea. For me Origi is a more viable option if we get injuries in the front three so personally I would rather he gets the minutes and builds up his match fitness and sharpness.

Origi may not have the same technical ability as Sturridge but he will work harder, will press, track back and offers us more in terms of raw pace.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1412 on: January 11, 2019, 06:52:49 pm »
Perhaps made for the Chinese league or MLS?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1413 on: January 11, 2019, 06:56:40 pm »
For him to influence games though he has to be match fit and sharp. To get that sharpness he needs minutes under his belt. That means effectively weakening your team in the hope that he can pull off a bit of magic like he did at Chelsea. For me Origi is a more viable option if we get injuries in the front three so personally I would rather he gets the minutes and builds up his match fitness and sharpness.

Origi may not have the same technical ability as Sturridge but he will work harder, will press, track back and offers us more in terms of raw pace.

They’re two completely different players, in the squad. It isn’t one or the other. Origi seems to be back up for the wide areas, Sturridge for the centre. They’ll both be important for the rest of the season.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1414 on: January 11, 2019, 07:27:00 pm »

The important thing is Sturridge is given the ball inside the box and it about his ability to work a yard of space to get his shot off. Match sharpness would help but in those circumstances I think Sturridge would be okay. When you talk about pressing and tracking back that's less of a concern in the last few minutes when you need a goal and a Wolves aside, that is how Sturridge has been used.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1415 on: January 11, 2019, 07:45:43 pm »
The important thing is Sturridge is given the ball inside the box and it about his ability to work a yard of space to get his shot off. Match sharpness would help but in those circumstances I think Sturridge would be okay. When you talk about pressing and tracking back that's less of a concern in the last few minutes when you need a goal and a Wolves aside, that is how Sturridge has been used.

I am not sure that is true though. Sturridge has started 6 games so far. PSG, Chelsea, Red Star, Huddersfield, Burnley and Wolves. He is a backup striker who comes in when the front three have a knock or are being rested. Personally I am not sure he has the physicallity to do that at the level we require.

If you look at them in their pomp then Sturridge was clearly the better striker but for me I think we have far more chance of getting back a peak Origi prior to the Everton injury than we have of getting back the Sturridge of 4 or 5 years ago.

I think pace is so important to how we play that for me I would rather see Origi getting minutes rather than Sturridge.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1416 on: January 11, 2019, 10:02:50 pm »
I am not sure that is true though. Sturridge has started 6 games so far. PSG, Chelsea, Red Star, Huddersfield, Burnley and Wolves. He is a backup striker who comes in when the front three have a knock or are being rested. Personally I am not sure he has the physicallity to do that at the level we require.

If you look at them in their pomp then Sturridge was clearly the better striker but for me I think we have far more chance of getting back a peak Origi prior to the Everton injury than we have of getting back the Sturridge of 4 or 5 years ago.

I think pace is so important to how we play that for me I would rather see Origi getting minutes rather than Sturridge.

Would rather see neither of them. One thing is for sure is that LFC fans have always had a soft spot for the 'underdog'. We always want to hear a good redemption story or the hear about the comeback good, the player who lost his way and then came good. Heck, there were even large sections who were hoping this about Balotelli.

The best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. For the better part of 2 seasons Origi's actually been fit and ready for selection and yet hasn't really progressed or done anything to suggest he's even close to good enough at this level. He was average at Wolfsburg and he's barely been able to force Klopp to select him otherwise. Hasn't managed to make the Belgium squad for a couple of years either. The only thing going in his favour is that he's 23, has still got most of his physical attributes and can still potentially learn and develop more and become a better player. But honestly, I don't think he possesses the game intelligence or nous to make the use of his personal/physical attributes. Is just another Borini or Ngog in my opinion. There are better talents out there. We would do better by giving Harry Wilson a chance instead of Origi in the wide areas next season, and perhaps Brewster will come into the fold

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1417 on: January 13, 2019, 01:58:21 pm »
Was he injured yesterday?

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #1418 on: January 13, 2019, 02:02:33 pm »
Perhaps made for the Chinese league or MLS?

I think he'd do great in the MLS given the lower quality and pace of the game. He could bend a lot of wicked left-footers in from distance given more time on the ball. Also, the league would be delighted to get a black star in its ranks, especially in one of the cities dominated by the African American demographic. There are still many years until Pogba is a possibility for the MLS, but I think he's destined to end up finish his career there given his marketing value for outreach into that community. It would definitely boost Sturridges' new club's diversity outreach in whichever location he'd end up in. Say Atlanta, DC United, Chicago Fire or Philadelphia Union maybe?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:06:59 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #1419 on: January 13, 2019, 02:57:02 pm »

The Origi vs Sturridge debate reminds of Baros vs Owen. Origi/Barros would have more positive involvements during a game if you were to count them, but it´s players like Sturridge/Owen that get the decisive ones which win games.

I far preferred Owen then and prefer Sturridge now, but it was Baros who ended up with a CL medal for us, and as you say it could be that Origi will be more useful for us in the run-in compared to Sturridge. Will surely depend on the situation we find ourselves in going forward. Think Origi can be useful for resting other players in the front three, and Sturridge to throw on if we need goals in the dying minutes, or starting at home against bus parkers. Don´t agree with the shouts that Sturridge is finished, he could have a few more Chelsea type goals in him yet.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:09:31 pm by Bjornar »

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #1420 on: January 14, 2019, 12:19:25 am »
I enjoyed watching him more than I did Suarez in his best season here, I hope he goes overseas, a sprinter hits their peak at 30 there's really no reason Sturrudge can't repeat his best again somewhere, If I were him I'd look for a side that plays two upfront, he thrived next to Suarez.Not that I know but motivation rather than talent seems to be his problem, so so talented when on,seems to play within himself these days maybe to avoid those niggling injuries, like to see him in Italy think it'd suit him perfectly.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1421 on: January 14, 2019, 08:24:41 am »
Was he injured yesterday?

Yes. He had flu and there are some that are saying he had it midweek as well.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1422 on: January 18, 2019, 09:03:14 am »
Paul Joyce apparently says he's off at the end of the season.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #1423 on: January 18, 2019, 09:30:30 am »

Not a surprise imo, he has been a good servant for the club but I hope everyone sees that now its time to part ways.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1424 on: January 18, 2019, 09:38:10 am »
Not a surprise imo, he has been a good servant for the club but I hope everyone sees that now its time to part ways.

He’s capable of game changing, world class cameos. I just hope he recaptures that light spirit he seemed to have earlier in the season, where he seemed content to contribute to the bigger cause and give these top class cameos. If he does leave at the end of the season, it would be a great way to finish if he gave us a few decisive game changing contributions from now until the end of the season.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1425 on: January 18, 2019, 09:54:36 am »
He’s capable of game changing, world class cameos. I just hope he recaptures that light spirit he seemed to have earlier in the season, where he seemed content to contribute to the bigger cause and give these top class cameos. If he does leave at the end of the season, it would be a great way to finish if he gave us a few decisive game changing contributions from now until the end of the season.

Agreed,his finishing and intelligence seems to still be there as it was against Chelsea,he just can't create the chances for himself anymore because the multiple constant little injuries have ravaged his body and overall athletism little bit like how Jari Litmanen was in his late career.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1426 on: January 18, 2019, 10:02:11 am »
Good Servant.

Hopefully goes out with a bang rather than a whimper.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1427 on: January 18, 2019, 10:12:52 am »

Seems about right. Would imagine the same for Divock. Expect Brewster to be knocking a bit louder on the door next year, and us to add a striker to really challenge Bobby's place in the team.

Daniel's had some unbelievable moments with us, but they'll be remembered as too few and far between sadly. Hope he's got a few more up his sleeve for the run in so he can be remembered as a legend though!
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1428 on: January 18, 2019, 10:20:34 am »
Best goal. His opener for the Uefa Final. World class.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #1429 on: January 18, 2019, 10:24:04 am »

My word, what a goal. Imagine if that goal had won us the cup...

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1430 on: January 18, 2019, 10:36:21 am »

A great but forgotten goal that one. Always loved that chip against WBA in 13/14.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1431 on: January 18, 2019, 10:37:11 am »

That or the chip against West Brom.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1432 on: January 18, 2019, 10:46:49 am »
Seems about right. Would imagine the same for Divock. Expect Brewster to be knocking a bit louder on the door next year, and us to add a striker to really challenge Bobby's place in the team.

Daniel's had some unbelievable moments with us, but they'll be remembered as too few and far between sadly. Hope he's got a few more up his sleeve for the run in so he can be remembered as a legend though!

If we win the title his goal against Chelsea will be remembered for ever!

Look, the season isn't over as yet. Let's not talk about what he will or won't be remembered for. He's part of the squad still and he will play a massive part in our run in.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1433 on: January 18, 2019, 10:47:40 am »
A real clear out going on at the top end of the pitch you’d imagine with Solanke gone and Divock likely to follow. Sturridge hatrick v Fulham was a great moment, we suddenly looked a threat in front of goal again for the first time since prime Torres.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1434 on: January 18, 2019, 11:23:47 am »
This 'good servant' stuff is bizarre.

Add up how many minutes he's played compared to how many pounds he's earned.

I'm absolutely not saying the injuries are his fault, and if we win the title by a point, his belter at Stamford Bridge will obviously have been crucial. Even so, he signed a 5 year contract worth £120k per week in the summer of 2014, and has been shit value for the entire duration of it.

It's a massive shame. He's still only 29.

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #1435 on: January 18, 2019, 11:30:48 am »
If we win the title his goal against Chelsea will be remembered for ever!

Look, the season isn't over as yet. Let's not talk about what he will or won't be remembered for. He's part of the squad still and he will play a massive part in our run in.

That Chelsea goal really was a crucial goal. Who knows how our form will have been if we had lost that match.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline KingKolo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1436 on: January 18, 2019, 11:33:58 am »
Since he signed his new contract, he's played 5 seasons, 14/15-18/19.

In that time:
66 league appearances = 13 per season
19 goals = 4 per season

£120k a week for a centre forward to average 13 league appearances and 4 goals per season.

'Great servant'  :butt

He was absolutely amazing for the first 18 months and he's been dreadfully unlucky with injuries, but it's been nothing short of a complete disaster since then.

Moments like Basel and at Stamford Bridge this season just underline what a massive disappointment he's been. Such a pity.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1437 on: January 18, 2019, 11:38:07 am »
Sad to say, I agree with the above. I lost all my sentimentality for Sturridge long ago due to his injury record. Lallana should be straight out the door after him too.

After the 13/14 season when Suarez left, I would easily have said Sturridge was the best striker left in the league - even ahead of Aguero. But it never worked out.

Offline KingKolo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1438 on: January 18, 2019, 12:04:26 pm »
Sad to say, I agree with the above. I lost all my sentimentality for Sturridge long ago due to his injury record. Lallana should be straight out the door after him too.

After the 13/14 season when Suarez left, I would easily have said Sturridge was the best striker left in the league - even ahead of Aguero. But it never worked out.
Lallana is definitely in the same bracket. Big potential, sadly unfulfilled due to an awful string of injuries.

A massive shame. Sad for the player, sad for Liverpool FC.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1439 on: January 18, 2019, 12:50:22 pm »
Thx for all the memory Daniel but I am afraid it is time to go.
Believer