Author Topic: Fleetwood Mac  (Read 3022 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Fleetwood Mac
« on: October 20, 2019, 10:18:55 pm »
No idea if there has been a thread on this band, but let's make one anyway. I was doing my iPhone music before and forgot how many of their songs I had on it. Great band, also their history reads like a rock version of Game of Thrones. Have they all bonked each other by now? Anyway fav songs in no particular order:

Little Lies
The Chain
Tusk
Big Love
Albatross
Black Magic Woman
Don't Stop.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
Re: Fleetwood Mac
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 10:40:55 pm »
Two distinct bands for me.

The Peter Green period one I hold dear, I remember it well from my formative teens, just so raw at the time, but the later one is just a bit too cute and dare I say Californian for me, though I still liked some of their output.

So...

Shake your money maker.
Black magic woman.
Need your love so bad.
Albatross
and of course the pinnacle... Oh Well.... which was truly inspired stuff.

Of the later output post Greeny, only Everywhere still does it for me though it does veer towards the twee.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 10:45:52 pm »
Two distinct bands for me.

The Peter Green period one I hold dear, I remember it well from my formative teens, just so raw at the time, but the later one is just a bit too cute and dare I say Californian for me, though I still liked some of their output.

So...

Shake your money maker.
Black magic woman.
Need your love so bad.
Albatross
and of course the pinnacle... Oh Well.... which was truly inspired stuff.

Of the later output post Greeny, only Everywhere still does it for me though it does veer towards the twee.

I'm the other way around prefer their newer stuff. Rumours is still one of my favourite albums, the original band I haven't listened to as much, apart from the obvious ones. 

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 03:52:05 am »
Rumours is excellent. A proper album, hardly a weak track on it.

But I'm with Gulleysucker - love the Peter Green era. Wouldn't have known about that side of them if it weren't for all those 60's revival programs and reruns in the 90s on BBC and Channel 4.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 09:23:31 am »
Didn't one of them defer to the Family International?

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 02:28:03 pm »
My favourite song is actually 'Seven Wonders'.

They were never as good as me though.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:53:06 pm by Davidbowie »
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Shite Name

• With a post history to match it.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 10:26:25 am »
Got some brilliant songs, I love how Nicks & Buckingham sing The Chain at each other when they sing it live.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 10:57:29 am »
Mirage as an album should not be underestimated.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 01:21:01 pm »
The self-titled album has hits but also a couple of very underrated songs, World Turning and So Afraid. The latter has some great guitar work by Buckingham.

And for me, Rumours is the same way. Songbird is absolutely gorgeous.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 01:41:57 pm »
Rhiannon was written and performed by Buckingham & Nicks before they ever joined Fleetwood Mac.

This is the first ever live performance of the song.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nDHpcnHGYkM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nDHpcnHGYkM</a>
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 07:16:12 pm »
Watched them in Wembley this year,' brilliant' and the Finn lad did well also:
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 07:54:20 pm »
Watched back to back documentaries on Fleetwood Mac on BBC4 the other week when I was in the lakes one night (rock n roll I know).

Amazing how long they've been going. Great band with so many hits.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 11:05:35 pm »
I have a hugely problematic relationship with Fleetwood Mac. I never listen to them. I did however have a beautiful moment listening to Rumours for the first time after hearing the Formula 1 theme tune aged 10? 12? 13? Think I sucked everything out of that album in 3 listens.

Thing is... if I put that on on in the car now with a 9 and 6 year old in the back... i'd be living the nightmare. Why is that?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 11:16:34 pm »
Rumours out loud tomorrow.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 10:13:33 pm »
I had forgotten all about this little gem.

https://youtu.be/qrU1Zg0wugE

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2019, 08:18:11 pm »
It's Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac for me. Still play some of the old stuff in the car - Green Manalishi, Oh Well, Need your Love so Bad. Terrible shame, ended up as a postman in Teddington with massively long curly fingernails. I'm convinced they tried to kill him so I don't like any of their other stuff.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 08:29:49 pm »
It's Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac for me. Still play some of the old stuff in the car - Green Manalishi, Oh Well, Need your Love so Bad. Terrible shame, ended up as a postman in Teddington with massively long curly fingernails. I'm convinced they tried to kill him so I don't like any of their other stuff.

One of the first things I learnt to play on the guitar was black magic woman
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 08:35:05 pm »
One of the first things I learnt to play on the guitar was black magic woman
The Santana version?
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 09:02:35 pm »
The Santana version?

Nope, Fleetwood Mac

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hRu7Pt42x6Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hRu7Pt42x6Y</a>
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2019, 09:11:26 pm »
This track seems appropriate for Halloween, Sisters of the Moon..incredible live version. Not sure what Nicks is on here but that is some bizarre performance towards the end!

Love how all hell breaks loose at 5.45!

https://youtu.be/Sujmxj9TmDY
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 09:15:09 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2019, 09:12:37 pm »
I'm surprised because I would have expected someone of your age group to have been more used to the Santana version, which to be fair is pretty damn good!
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2019, 09:25:55 pm »
I can't stand some of the ultra fluffy pop stuff like Little Lies etc, but love loads from every era otherwise. Future Games is a brilliant album, very underrated.

I'm so Afraid, live is fantastic, a Buckingham masterpiece on guitar, the list is endless. Saw them a few times, the last time at the IOW festival 3 or 4 years ago.

They are a band who because of their huge diversity I will never tire off, there is always something from The Mac I can turn to, whatever mood I'm in.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 1, 2019, 07:36:27 am »
I'm surprised because I would have expected someone of your age group to have been more used to the Santana version, which to be fair is pretty damn good!

It was all down to my guitar teacher, he was more into the original version. We're talking 30 years ago so he had recorded the original onto a cassette, along with let it be, AC DC let me put my love into you and an early Def Leppard song, so that was the one I listened to and learned.

I've never been a fan of Santana anyway, never really listened to his stuff, but his was the version I was more familiar with and like you say is a damn good version. I honestly cannot say if I was even aware of the original, I'd have heard it on the radio as a nipper, as well as a lot of other Peter Green stuff, but you know how one thing blends into another.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2019, 07:38:42 am by rob1966 »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #23 on: November 3, 2019, 04:06:11 pm »
Tusk. In it's entirety. With the pauses. As Lindsay Buckingham intended it to be heard. 

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #24 on: November 5, 2019, 02:00:09 pm »
Yeah, why don't you just give me a .44 so I can spray my brains on the decks?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #25 on: November 8, 2019, 12:10:54 pm »
Didn't one of them defer to the Family International?

Yeah, back when they were 'The Children of God'.

Funny that this thread has popped up as I was reading their history the other week. It really is like a soap opera script, with some dramatic exits from the band:

Peter Green got into LSD, culminating in him getting utterly brain-fucked at a Munich commune when on tour. His behaviour became more erratic, including trying to persuade the rest of the band to give all their money away. After leaving, he spent time in a mental hospital, and has had periods of mental health problems since - once being arrested for threatening his accountant with a gun (Green was annoyed that his accountant kept sending him money!)

Jeremy Spencer, whilst considered more sensible (and apparently a practising Christian throughout) was also partial to a bit of LSD. On a US Tour, he became increasingly twitchy, nervous and fragile, amplified by a session on mescaline in California. The band were due to play at the Whiskey-a-Go-Go that night and Spencer popped out the hotel, telling the others he was going getting a magazine. He didn't return. He was located several days later at the Children of God compound, where he'd had his long hair cut short and was wearing robes. He maintains he had just had enough of the band, and is still involved with the Family International.

Danny Kirwan, recruited when he was just 18, was always a bit sensitive and shy, and a musical perfectionist. After Green left the band, he had to take on more of a front role, which increased when Spencer left, and he was never comfortable. He clashed with Spencer's replacement, Bod Welch. His drinking and drug use got worse and it all blew up backstage before a US concert when he started arguing with Welch about tuning, began beating his fists on the wall, then smashed up the room with his vintage Les Paul. He refused to go on stage, and was sacked shortly after. Sadly, mental health problems and addiction followed for the rest of his life, and he spent time homeless and in hostels, before dying last year.

Bob Weston, who replaced Kirwan, was only with the band a year. He began an affair with Fleetwood's wife and although Fleetwood tried to continue gigging at first, he soon cancelled the tour and Weston was fired. This led to their manager claiming to own the Fleetwood Mac name and bringing in new musicians to fulfill the tour, followed by a bitter lawsuit.

Bob Welch's departure was less dramatic, but his walk-out was caused by the frictions in the band leading from Fleetwood's marital problems and the McVie's own marriage issues. Welch later had a falling out with the band, accusing them of ripping him off with royalties and taking legal action against them.

Amongst all the intra-band shagging:
Christine McVie had an affair with the band's sound engineer. Her and John McVie split. She then had a fling with the lighting director. Buckingham & Nicks split. She began an affair with Fleetwood, which ended when Fleetwood began shagging Nicks' best mate. Buckingham left in 87 after Tango in the Night,

The final chapter of lunacy (so far!) came last year when the band - having reformed in 97 - were preparing for a big tour. Buckingham wasn't happy with the musical content of the show and wouldn't sign it off. So he was fired. He took out a lawsuit and the band settled out of court. He's still out of the band.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2020, 05:17:13 pm »
I know he’s no longer part of the band but I’ve just seen Peter Green has died.

I recall he suffered with mental health issues for a long time before making a come back in the 90s I think. Big fan of the song Oh Well from the early Peter Green Fleetwood Mac days

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53539989
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 05:20:13 pm by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2020, 05:26:09 pm »
I know he’s no longer part of the band but I’ve just seen Peter Green has died.

I recall he suffered with mental health issues for a long time before making a come back in the 90s I think. Big fan of the song Oh Well from the early Peter Green Fleetwood Mac days

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53539989

Man of the Workd is brilliant. I preferred the 60s Blues oriented version, not so much the AOR 70s/80s version.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2020, 05:26:53 pm »
Early Fleetwood Mac the best..sad news about Peter Green. One of the great guitarists and had an amazing voice

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2020, 10:24:53 pm »
Loved the early Fleetwood Mac, and Peter Green was a great member of that band,think he joined a commune at the height of their fame,packed in the band and disappeared off the radar.
The early songs he wrote were so good,bluesy and melodic.

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2020, 04:54:16 am »
RIP Peter Green.
― Christine Szymanski

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2020, 02:28:33 pm »
I came across this post-Green song. One that displays how underrated Buckingham has always been as a guitarist. Marvelous solo.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/v5kOzGwsHXw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/v5kOzGwsHXw</a>
― Christine Szymanski

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2020, 08:26:43 am »
I came across this post-Green song. One that displays how underrated Buckingham has always been as a guitarist. Marvelous solo.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/v5kOzGwsHXw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/v5kOzGwsHXw</a>

Buckingham is a top guitarist - have you seen the way he plays all the time without a pick  ;D

Just when I feel like I'm getting more accomplished as a guitar player I just watch someone like LB and feel I have a long way to go  ;D

Yep saw Mac last year and really enjoyed it - a couple of my photos attached to bore you with  :wave

Peter Green - legend. Shame he blew his brains out - not literally of course.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 3, 2020, 05:18:20 am »

RIP Peter Green, unquestionably one of the greats. Not exactly my cup of tea though, I can only dig blues for a bit.

When Lindsey and Stevie joined the band, they produced what, for me, is all around brilliant music. Songs are just so,so rich and melodic.

Buckingham was a huge part in that: he understood how a demo song of Dreams, with just two chords, could become this 'ethereal movement', crystalized in the studio version of it. As an aside, he also was an extremely good 'song over guitar' kinda player, which is a tremendously underrated quality, but he could still let go sometimes, like with I'm So Afraid, or with this cut from Buckingham Nicks (from min 3:39 onwards, if you don't have the time for the whole amazing song haha):

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/m94Xpx91w2E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/m94Xpx91w2E</a>

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2020, 02:39:45 pm »
Really interesting article here about Peter Green.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2020, 04:00:58 pm »
Really interesting article here about Peter Green.

As you say, a good read.

I was never that struck with mega Fleetwood Mac, much keener on Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Man of the World being one of my all time favourite songs.