Author Topic: Man-made items that are no longer around, but you wish they were  (Read 6272 times)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
Re: Man-made items that are no longer around, but you wish they were
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2018, 10:41:16 pm »

Still got mine, beautifully engineered to take into account temperature changes and the consequences of such, though to be honest I rarely ever used it then (now 45-46 years ago..time flies..) as although I did Pure and Applied Maths and Physics A's, most of the stuff was straightforward or it was just as easy using Log/Antilog/Sin/Cos/Tan tables which I was comfortable with, well at least then, though I can't say for sure these days as there's so much now forgotten or increasingly fading due to lack of use since those days.

Didn't you have to mark your answer with the letters SR or S/R over in the right hand margin if you had employed one to answer a question in GCE O and A exams back then?

I picked up an old Engineering tables book that was looking sad and lonely around 30 or more years ago in a jumbly that had a circular slide rule inside. Still got it and it's an amazing gadget, though like old vernier micrometers and calipers, just totally obsolete now with modern calculators and the digital revolution.

But all this sort of stuff is now lost or simply a funny curiosity these days, probably a bit like Napier's Bones was to us back then.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2018, 03:34:09 pm »
Dethlac

I know you can still get it, or at least a piss-poor imitation of it. I'm talking the proper stuff. The stuff you used to spray and it'd leave a film on everything it came into contact with - doorsteps, concrete, wood, bricks, respiratory systems. Used to stink for days afterwards - and no fucking evil shit ant would cross the mighty barrier.

The modern stuff might not give you emphysema, but it also doesn't really deter ants.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 05:33:59 pm by Nobby Reserve »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2018, 05:31:58 pm »
Hours of fun with one of these bad boys!
Had the white version of this...can't remember the game through
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2018, 08:54:07 am »
Ever use one of these? Batteries not included.

Yes - incredible what you could do with one.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2018, 10:53:21 am »
Ships, built on the Tyne.

We built the best ships in the world, bar none.     :P

Ahem, Belfast boy married to Glasgow girl here...

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2018, 08:13:43 pm »
Ever use one of these? Batteries not included.

Every hour on the hour for every shift I did as a meteorologist for five years..... until computers replaced them..... then me.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2018, 10:12:02 pm »
It’s available to buy online so guess it doesn’t count really. But the greatest board game ever ‘the really nasty horse racing game’ really should be in shops! Shits on almost any board game ever.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.