Author Topic: Maggie May's Recipe A Day  (Read 151883 times)

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
Re: Maggie May's Recipe A Day
« Reply #80 on: January 8, 2008, 11:17:52 am »
Pincho Moruno

1 Kg or 2.2 Pounds of pork (cut is unimportant)
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp of sweet paprika
1 tsp of hot paprika
1 tsp of ground black pepper
2 tsp of thyme
3 bay leaves
4 tbsp of good olive oil
Pinch of ground cumin

Preparation

• Start by chopping up the meat into 1.5 cm or 1/2 inch cubes.
  • Add the crushed garlic cloves and add all the spices to a bowl and mix them with a spoon before adding the olive oil and mixing a little bit more.
  • Add the meat to the mixture and mix until all the pieces are covered with the spice mixture.
  • Leave in the fridge to marinade for at least 12 hours (and up to 2 days) before cooking.
  • Thread onto kebab skewers and grill.

It works equally well under on the barbecue, or as a marinade for pork chops/steaks.

[/list][/list]

Offline El Genio

• Drops more than books in the bed. Voted RAWKite with the stickiest trousers 2009-10
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #81 on: January 8, 2008, 11:40:18 am »

Smoked Trout Mousse in Cucumber Cups

Something about this made me chuckle in a very childish way. Anyway......

Here is my chili recipe for what its worth

Serves approx 4-6

2 red Onions- finely chopped
3 cloves garlic- thinly sliced
1-2 fresh red chilies- chopped
about 200g sun dried toms- blitzed in a food processor
2 tins of good plum toms
500g Steak mince
2tsps crushed cumin seeds
1tsps hot chili powder
Cinnamon Stick

Gently heat your onions and garlic till soft (about 6 mins) then add your fresh chili and continue to fry for a minute or two. Add your spices for another minute or so. Add your minced steakand stir, heating meat  till slightly browned. Next add your sun dried tomatos, then your tinned tomatos and your cinnamon stick.

Cover with a lid and simmer very gently for one and a half to two hours.

Added ingredients- Once cooked I like to stir through a spoonful of honey- might sound a bit weird but it adds a subtle sweetness to offset the heat of the chilies. I also stir in a spoonful ofa  tomato and garlic  chutney or something similar. Just adds a nice texture and gives a twist of extra flavour.

EDIT:  Forgot about the kidney beans!! One tin, stick em in for the last half hour

« Last Edit: January 8, 2008, 12:07:20 pm by El Genio »

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #82 on: January 8, 2008, 11:51:01 am »

Here is my chili recipe for what its worth

Well I'm a chilli coward, but I've just read this through to my best mate Kath, who was wondering what to cook for tonight.  She took to it straight away, so we shall see.............  :D
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: January 8, 2008, 12:05:43 pm »
The chilli one sounds yummy, chili is my disaster area unless it comes from a jar, so I will have a go at this one at some stage  :D

Offline El Genio

• Drops more than books in the bed. Voted RAWKite with the stickiest trousers 2009-10
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #84 on: January 8, 2008, 12:08:16 pm »
Just edited the chili recipe cos I forgot about the kidney beans!

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: January 8, 2008, 12:54:01 pm »
Just edited the chili recipe cos I forgot about the kidney beans!

:missus   Tsk.  Baaaad lad.   ;D

Anyway.

Mr May's just phoned and said he wanted this soup for tonight.  I checked and it wasn't in the soup library, so I've just added it thereto, and so I claim another credit.  And here is the recipe:

Wild Mushroom Soup

Wild mushrooms are expensive, but dried porcini have such an intense flavour, so only a small portion is needed.  The beef stock may seem unusual, but is helps to strengthen the earthy flavour of the mushrooms.  This freezes like a dream.  And prepare until * and then freeze it to finish when you are ready.

Serves Four

25g/1oz dried porcini mushrooms
30ml/2tbsp olive oil
15g/½ oz butter
2 leeks, roughly chopped
2 shallots, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
225g/8oz fresh wild mushrooms of your choice
About 1.2 litres/2pints beef stock
2.5ml/½ tsp dried thyme
150ml/¼ pint double cream
Salt and black pepper
Thyme sprigs, to garnish

Put the dried porcini in a bowl.  Add 250ml/8floz warm water and leave to soak for 20-30 minutes.  Then lift the soaked mushrooms out and firmly squeeze them in your hand, letting the all liquid drain back into the bowl.  Strain the liquid into another bowl through a sieve with a clean dampened J Cloth, inserted and doubled thereover so as to strain all the liquids, and then cast aside the residue.  Reserve the strained liquid.  Finely chop the porcini.

Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan until foaming.  Add the sliced leeks, chopped shallots and garlic and cook gently for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft but not coloured.

Chop or slice the wild mushrooms and add them to the pan.  Stir over a medium heat for a few minutes until they begin to soften.  Pour in the stock and bring to the boil.  Add the porcini, their soaking liquid, the dried thyme, and season to taste.  Lower the heat, half cover the pan and simmer the soup for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Then pour three quarters of the soup in to a blender or food processor, and process until very smooth.  Return the puree to the soup remaining in the pan.  *

*Stir in the cream and heat through.  Check the consistency and add a little more stock if the soup is too thick.  Taste for seasoning.  Serve hot garnished with thyme sprigs.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline El Genio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #86 on: January 8, 2008, 12:57:07 pm »
I find Porcini mushies need a fair bit of seasoning. And dont let them soak too long.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 8, 2008, 01:09:40 pm »
I find Porcini mushies need a fair bit of seasoning. And dont let them soak too long.

I agree with you about the soaking, ElGee.    But I'm always wary of the seasoning aspect.  For instance.  Mr May and I have most different tastes when it comes to that.  So I always say taste and bite continually and adjust to what appeals.  So many people just take what whomever cook says as fact and never taste what they themselves are doing to adjust it to their personal taste. 

But yet again, specific personal taste must perhaps sensibly be put on the back burner for parties when one is catering for a large group of people.  Unless it is themed of course.

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #88 on: January 8, 2008, 03:59:20 pm »
Unless it is themed of course.

Especially if the theme is "Food that Rox likes, and everyone else can lump it."

I will share with you for amusements sake, the meal my mum was going to prepare for me once when I came home from school - and it may explain why we have no recipes handed down from my mum....

"What's for tea, mum?"

"Croquettes, Waffles and Chips."

"Mum, they're all made out of potato."

"No they aren't."

:(
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline El Genio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #89 on: January 8, 2008, 04:15:16 pm »

"Croquettes, Waffles and Chips."

Ungrateful swine, thats a quality tea.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #90 on: January 8, 2008, 04:17:34 pm »

Ungrateful swine, thats a quality tea.

It is, if you add tomato ketchup. You need your veg, after all.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #91 on: January 8, 2008, 06:16:15 pm »
It is, if you add tomato ketchup. You need your veg, after all.

Technically, a tomato is a fruit...
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline El Genio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #92 on: January 8, 2008, 06:36:05 pm »
Tomato ketchup has tomatoes in?

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 9, 2008, 10:08:42 am »
Today's offerings:

Sauteed Mussels with Garlic and Herbs

These mussels are served without their shells, just eat them with cocktail sticks.

Makes about 40

900g/2lb mussels
1 lemon slice
90ml/6tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
15ml/1tbsp parsley, finely chopped
2.5ml/½ tsp sweet paprika
1.5ml/¼ tsp dried chilli flakes

Scrub the mussels and pull off the beards.  Discard any mussels that do not close when tapped with a knife.  Put the mussels in a large pan with 250ml/8fl oz water and the lemon slice.  Bring to the boil and cook for 3-4 minutes, removing the mussels as they open.  Discard any that do not open.  Take the mussels out of their shells and drain them on kitchen paper.

Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the mussels and cook, stirring for one minute.  Remove them from the pan.  Add the shallots and garlic and cook, covered, over a low heat for about five minutes or until soft.  Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the parsley, paprika and chilli.

Return the pan to the heat and stir in the mussels.  Cook briefly.  Remove the pan from the heat and cover it for a minute or two, to allow the flavours to mingle, before serving.

Prawn Toasts

These can be prepared in advance and heated through in a hot oven.  Make sure they are really crisp and hot before serving to make them really crunchy when bitten. 

Makes 64

225g/8oz cooked peeled prawns, drained and patted dry.
1 egg white (Don’t discard the yolk.  Freeze it individually for use with another recipe)
2 spring onions, finely chopped
5ml/1tsp finely chopped root ginger
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
5ml/1tsp cornflour
2.5ml/½ tsp salt
2.5ml/½ tsp sugar
2-3 dashes hot pepper sauce
8 slices firm textured white bread
60-75ml/4-5tbsp sesame seeds
Vegetable oil for frying

Put all the ingredients apart from the bread and sesame seeds in a food processor and process until the mixture forms a smooth paste.  Spread the paste evenly over the bread slices, then sprinkle the sesame seeds over, pressing them to make them stick.  Remove the crusts and give them to the birdies.

Then cut each slice diagonally into four triangles, and each triangle in half again.

Heat 5cm/2in depth of vegetable oil in a frying pan until it is hot but not smoking.  Fry the triangles in batches for about 30-60 seconds, turning the toasts once.  Drain on paper towels, and keep them hot in the oven while you cook the rest (or set them aside to be reheated later).

Dates Stuffed with Chorizo

Makes 12

50g/20z chorizo sausage
12 fresh dates, stoned
6 streaky rindless bacon rashers
Oil for frying
Plain flour for dusting
1 egg, beaten
50g/2oz fresh breadcrumbs

Trim the ends of the chorizo sausage and then peel away the skin.  Cut into three 2cm/¾ in slices.  Cut these in half lengthways, then into quarters, giving 12 pieces.

Stuff each date with a piece of sausage, closing the date around it.  Stretch the bacon by running the back of a knife along the rasher.  Cut each rasher in half widthways.  Wrap a piece of bacon around each date and secure with a wooden cocktail stick.

In a deep pan, heat 1cm/½ inch oil.  Dust the dates with flour, dip them in the beaten egg, then coat them with the breadcrumbs.  Fry the dates in the hot oil, turning them, until they are golden.  Remove the dates and drain them on kitchen paper.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 9, 2008, 03:40:39 pm »

Dunno about the cookbook though.  Mr May's been saying for ages I should write one, and I keep meaning to get round to it but ...........  Perhaps if this works out and I get organised at last I might seriously have a go.  Who knows? 

Why not, Maggie - do it here:

www.lulu.com

Offline Joshytoohotty

• Potty Mouth
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 9, 2008, 04:41:49 pm »
What a great topic!

Who would have thought that Joshy was actually a white version of that soft arse chef Ainsley Harriot ;D

Why Ainsley Harriot?

I am far tougher than him.
They only drink water and bottles of coke, the Everton boys are a joke...

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
« Reply #96 on: January 9, 2008, 04:44:49 pm »
Anyone do a proper scouse?
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 9, 2008, 09:41:11 pm »
Heres a yummy soup one for you Mags
Sweet Potato & Red Pepper

Made this earlier and ate half :lickin half saved for tomorrow's lunch. Was absolutely gorgeous with some crusty bread and butter. I just added a splash (well alright, a sprinkle) of cayenne pepper.

Roasted tomato & pepper soup

The veggies for this one are currently roasting away in the oven and looking fab already :thumbup

Thanks Lo :wave
« Last Edit: January 9, 2008, 09:43:50 pm by Elli »

Offline berrno3333

• Taliban Arse
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Noodles i slipped",
« Reply #98 on: January 9, 2008, 10:17:17 pm »
Going to try the oxtail recipe on here.
Sounds like a long time in the making,but ill eventually get it right with a bit of tinkering.
Thanks for the advice Maggie. :wave
An arsehole of the first order and proud of it.                                                                                   Founder member of the Popular front of Judea

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 9, 2008, 11:08:21 pm »
Made this earlier and ate half :lickin half saved for tomorrow's lunch. Was absolutely gorgeous with some crusty bread and butter. I just added a splash (well alright, a sprinkle) of cayenne pepper.

The veggies for this one are currently roasting away in the oven and looking fab already :thumbup

Thanks Lo :wave

I made the squash and leek today that was yummy scrummy aswell :D

Can I come to yours for lunch tomorrow :P

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 9, 2008, 11:17:41 pm »
Yep feel free. As long as by "mine" you mean the office, where you may get roped into answering the phone cos it's all a bit manic and the staff are dropping like flies :D

Bring Lucas. I'll need cheering up by ooh, about 10 past 9. But at least I have lovely soup to see me through :wave
« Last Edit: January 9, 2008, 11:22:52 pm by Elli »

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 9, 2008, 11:20:48 pm »
Mags I'm planning on cooking the birds a meal on sat for a special occasion

Do you have any recipes for someone as bad at cooking as me, preferably something spicy

Ta

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #102 on: January 9, 2008, 11:21:45 pm »

Do you have any recipes for someone as bad at cooking as me, preferably something spicy

Ta

Zinger Tower meal from KFC with some hot wings!!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: January 9, 2008, 11:26:31 pm »
Zinger Tower meal from KFC with some hot wings!!

;D Don't tempt me

Offline Joshytoohotty

• Potty Mouth
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2008, 01:45:40 am »

Ta

If she likes pasta and seafood then I make this one quite a lot-

The great thing about this dish is it's a classic but everyone has their own way of doing it, I'm a big fan of chilli and think as long as you don't go too overboard it won't fuck up the seafood. Also with seafood it's very easy to change one or two ingredients depending on your taste, or what you can get hold of from your fish-monger.

Serves 2

Linguine- 400g

Tiger Prawns- 15
Muscles- 10
Calimari- 10 rings

For the sauce-

1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed and chopped
300g tinned, chopped tomatoes
2 medium red chillies, deeseeded, core scraped out and finely chopped

Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper to season

Flat leaf parsley

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Cook your linguine in boiling salted water according to packet instructions, meanwhile:

Sweat off your onions and garlic in a couple good lugs of extra virgin olive oil on a low heat until your onions turn translucent. Being careful not to burn the garlic, otherwise you'll end up with a horrible bitter taste. Add the chilli to the pan and continue to fry for a minute or two. Add your tomatoes and continue to cook for a couple minutes before adding a splash of white wine and simmering with the lid on to reduce for about half an hour, season to taste with the salt and pepper. Being careful to stir the sauce regularly to prevent it from sticking to the pan. When the sauce is ready it should have a reasonably thick consistency but still free to stir without taking on a stodgy appearence.

When the sauce is nearly ready heat a seperate pan, large enough to eventually house all your seafood and your sauce. Add the muscles to the pan with a small amount of olive oil and steam with the lid on for about 3-4 minutes, giving it a good shake half way through. Open the lid and check the muscles to make sure they are all open, discard any that aren't and take off the heat briefly.

Fry off your prawns and calimari in a seperate pan until just cooked. Add the sauce, prawns and calimari to the muscle pan and stir all together well. Drain your linguine and add to the sauce, toss all together so the pasta is well coated in the sauce and the seafood is spread out evenely throughout the pasta.

How you serve is really up to you, whether you prefer to put it all in one big bowl on the centre of the table and help yourselves or put it onto two seperate plates. Just make sure to serve with a wedge or two of line and roughly chop some of your parsley to garnish.

Lovely, one of my faivorate things to eat.
They only drink water and bottles of coke, the Everton boys are a joke...

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2008, 02:10:59 am »
Today I slapped on a couple of pork loin something or others in a bit of oil. Are they steaks? They're not chops anyway. In a half arsed manner I peeled some spuds (i like a bit of skin in mash) and boiled them. I did the spuds first. Ages ago I followed a recipe about this but forgot it, and fucked it up, dropping in a few hunks of chicory into the pan frying the chops. I'm pretty sure you need to take the chops out first, but they were nearly cooked so...
Threw in the rest of my glass of white wine to the chicory and removed the chops to a new pan. Chopped some leeks and prepared my steaming.

I love steaming vegetables. Greens especially. When did 'Greens' come about anyway? I always used to think that 'greens' was a generic term to describe all vegetables, but no.. you can actually buy 'GREENS'. Like a whole bag of 'greens'!. It says 'Greens' on the front of the package! Freaked me out a bit at first like I was being patronised or something, but I can't get enough of them. It's the most delicious thing in the world. Takes 2 minutes too. I like to cut the fat stems off and bung them in the boiling water bit underneath and I chuck in everything that normally goes into the bin, like leek and onion ends, carrot tops (unless the have the green leaves on of course), all sorts, plus squash a few cloves of garlic and let that all boil up and flavour the steam. I then freeze this to turn into veggie stock.

I was out of greens tho, so did leeks and kale instead. Why am I writing this? I mashed the spuds with butter and pepper, chucked it all on the plate then moved the leeks and kale to the frying pan that was cooking the chicory and stirred that in briefly, pouring some cream on top. Not bad at all.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2008, 05:50:46 am »
Anyone got a good curry recipe for a slow cooker/crock pot. One that involves many spices etc, not just a teaspoon of curry powder.

Did a split pea and ham soup last weekend and it was deeeeelish.

I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2008, 09:03:50 am »

Ta

Sorry Tom, and you too, Keithcun, but neither Mr May nor me are lovers of hot and spicy food (the most we manage is a half spoon of mild chilli flakes  :-[ :-\).  But Joshy's recipe sounds great, and El Genio's one sounds great as well.  I'm know there are loads of curry lovers on RAWK, Keith, as I've seen recipies posted in the past, so hopefully they'll look in here and help you out.

And yes, Filler, there are such things as "Greens".  They're also known as Spring Greens, and they are lovely, as you say.

Trigger.  There is a thread knocking about specifically dedicated to scouse.

And Berrno, I'll post that oxtail recipe for you properly tomorrow. 

And today's offerings are:

King Prawns in Crispy Batter

Makes 12

120ml/4fl oz water
1 egg
115g/4oz plain flour
5ml/1tsp cayenne pepper
12 raw king prawns, unpeeled
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Flat leaf parsley and lemon wedges, for garnishing

For the dipping sauce

30ml/2tbsp soy sauce
30ml/2tbsp dry sherry
10ml/2tsp clear honey

In a large bowl, whisk the water with the egg.  Add the flour and cayenne, and whisk until smooth.

Carefully peel the prawns, leaving just the tail sections intact.  Make a shallow cut down the back of each prawn, then pull out and discard the dark intestinal tract.

Stir all the ingredients for the dipping sauce together until well combined.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan or deep fryer, until a cube of day old bread tossed in browns in one minute.

Holding the prawns by their tails, dip them into the batter, one at a time, shaking off any excess batter.  Drop the prawns into the oil and fry for two to three minutes, until crisp and golden brown.  Drain them on kitchen paper and serve with the dipping sauce and garnishes.

Five Spice Rib-Sticker

If you like, you could ask the butcher to cut the ribs across widthwise into bite size pieces.

Serves 8

1kg/2 ¼ lb pork spare ribs
10ml/2tsp Chinese five-spice powder
2 garlic cloves, crushed
15ml/1tbsp grated fresh root ginger
2.5ml/½ tsp chilli sauce
60ml/4tbsp dark Muscovado sugar
15ml/1tbsp sunflower oil
4 spring onions

If the spare ribs are still attached together, cut them to separate (or get the butcher to do this). Place the spare ribs in a large bowl.

Mix together all the remaining ingredients except the spring onions, and pour the mixture over the ribs.  Toss well to coat evenly.  Cover the bowl and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight.

Cook the spare ribs under a preheated medium-hot grill, turning frequently, for 30-40 minutes.  Brush the ribs frequently with the remaining marinade.

While the ribs are cooking, finely slice the spring onions, on the diagonal.  To serve, place the cooked ribs on a platter and scatter the spring onions over the top.

Courgette Soup

Serves 4

30ml/2tbsp butter
1 onion, finely chopped
450g/1lb young courgettes, trimmed and chopped
750ml/1 ¼ pints chicken stock
120ml/4fl oz single cream, plus extra for swirling
Salt and ground black pepper

Melt the butter in a saucepan and fry the onion until it is soft but not coloured.  Add the courgettes and cook, stirring, for about 1-2 minutes.

Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil over a moderate heat, and then simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the courgettes are just tender.

Strain the stock into a saucepan, then puree the vegetables in a food processor and add the puree to the pan.*  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Stir the cream into the soup and heat it through without allowing it to boil.  Serve hot with a little extra cream swirled over the top.

*At this stage I like to rub the puree through a metal sieve, which gives the soup a lovely velvety texture - but if you prefer a more hearty soup then omit this step.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2008, 02:24:08 pm »
Satay skewers

Can use chicken, pork or beef or combination.

12oz lean boneless pork

12oz rump steak

12oz boneless chicken breasts skinned

6 tblsp oil

6 tblsp soy sauce

1 garlic clove crushed

1 tblsp curry powder

1 1/2 tblsp caster sugar

Cut the meat into cubes or strips depending upon if you are skewering  and it is individual taste as to sppearance.

Mix the oil with the soy sauce, garlic, curry powder and sugar blending well. Marinade the meat for about 4-6 hours (not always necessary)

Thread the meats onto skewer.

Place under grill or barbecue -6-8 mins each side.

If you want: peanut sauce to accompany:

2tblsp oil

4oz ground salted peanuts

1 onion peeled and minced

1 garlic clove peeled and crushed

1 tsp chilli powder

1/4 tsp ground coriander

1/4 tsp ground cumin\

1/2 pint coconut milk or light chicken stock

2 tblsp light brown sugar

1tblsp soy sauce

1 tblsp lemon juice

Heat oil in the pan. Add the peanuts, onion, garlic,chilli powder, coriander, cumin and fry for 2 mins. Add stock, sugar , soy sauce and lemon juice. Bring to boil, lower the heat and simmer 10 mins or until creamy. Allow to cool.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2008, 12:24:37 am »
Anyone got a nice recipe for a chicken soup/broth?
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2008, 12:28:49 am »
Thanks for the suggestion Josh but I hate seafood. Ah Maggie I imagined you as a spicy lady ;)

Had a quick look on the internet, this looks well nice and has a video which will deffo help ;D

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-beef-wellington

Offline jim.

• Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2008, 01:32:39 am »
Calling Soup Experts (Maggie & Lo)

Creamy Broccoli and Stilton

Please?

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2008, 09:20:33 am »

Please?

Whoa hold on there bald eagle...i'm still waiting for me proper scouse recipe ;)

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2008, 09:33:32 am »
Whoa hold on there bald eagle...i'm still waiting for me proper scouse recipe ;)

1. Make a pot of irish stew
2. Have a re-naming ceremony
3. Eat.

:wave
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2008, 10:04:54 am »

Please?

:wave

Broccoli and Stilton Soup

50g butter
2 large onions
1lb broccoli, trimmed
1/2 tsp each of salt, sugar and nutmeg
2 pts weak vegetable stock or chicken stock
3 tbsp double cream
150g blue Stilton, crumbled

Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add onions, broccoli, salt, sugar and nutmeg. Cover and steam gently on a low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the stock to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat immediately and simmer for 10 minutes
Blend until smooth. Return to the pan and stir in the cream and Stilton. Stir over a low heat until the cheese is well combined giving a lovely smooth soup.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2008, 11:09:43 am »

Here's your link to a Scouse dedicated thread....

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=199329.0

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2008, 11:10:42 am »

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2008, 11:55:49 am »
Plenty of threads on here with Scouse recipes in squire - have a search :wave

Oh he's so very harsh and strict.  I do so require that in a Mentor.   

Thanks for the suggestion Josh but I hate seafood. Ah Maggie I imagined you as a spicy lady ;)

Had a quick look on the internet, this looks well nice and has a video which will deffo help ;D

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-beef-wellington

I do have my moments, but alas not as far as spicy food is concerned. 

I put to down to my formative youth when my taste was formed by chinese restaurants, when you used to do a lunch for the value of your luncheon voucher 3/9p (or if you wanted to impress and a girl you could go large on the dessert and have ice cream for an extra 3p). 

It was before the Indian cuisine took off.  We did eat an Indian meal in a restaurant in Bold Street once.  The most memorable memory was that they had a life sized tiger which which was inexpertantly stuffed (possib

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2008, 12:30:15 pm »
And since I shall not be online tomorrow and possibly not on Sunday, here are my contributions for today and those days:

Aubergine and Smoked Mozzarella Rolls

Serves 4

1 large aubergine
45ml/3tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
165g/5 ½ oz smoked mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 slices
2 plum tomatoes, each cut into 4 even sized slices
8 large basil leaves
Balsamic vinegar for drizzling

Cut the aubergine lengthways into 10 thin slices and discard the two outermost slices.  Sprinkle the slices with salt and set them aside for 20 minutes.  Rinse them, then pat them dry with kitchen paper.

Preheat the grill and line the rack with foil.  Place the dried aubergine slices on the grill rack and brush them liberally with the oil.  Grill them for 8-10 minutes until they are tender and golden, turning them once.

Remove the aubergine slices from the grill, then place a slice of mozzarella and a slice of tomato and a basil leaf in the centre of each aubergine slice, and season to taste.  Fold the aubergine over the filling and cook, seam side down, under the grill until heated through and the mozzarella begins to melt.  Serve drizzled with olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar.

Scallop-Stuffed Roast Peppers with Pesto

Serves 4

4 squat red peppers
2 large garlic cloves, cut into thin slivers
60ml/4tbsp olive oil
45ml/3tbsp pesto sauce
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to serve#
Salad leaves and basil sprigs, to garnish

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.  Cut the peppers in half lengthways, through their stalks.  Scrape and out and discard the cores and seeds.  Wash the pepper shells and pat them dry with kitchen paper.

Put the peppers, cut-side up, in an oiled roasting tin.  Divide the slivers of garlic evenly between them, and season to taste.  Then spoon the oil into the peppers and roast them for 40 minutes.

Then cut each of the scallops in half horizontally to make two flat discs, each with a piece of coral.  Remove the cooked peppers from the oven and place a scallop and coral half in each pepper half.  Then top with the pesto sauce.

Return the tin to the oven and roast for 10 minutes more.  Transfer the peppers to individual serving plates and sprinkle them with the grated parmesan.  Garnish with a few salad leaves and basil sprigs, and serve them warm.

Chicken with Lemon and Garlic

Serves Loads

225g/8oz skinless chicken breast fillets
30ml/2tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
5ml/1tsp paprika
Juice of 1 lemon
30ml/2tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Salt and ground black pepper.
Flat leaf parsley, to garnish
Lemon wedges, to serve

Sandwich the chicken fillets between two sheets of clingfilm or greaseproof paper.  Bat them out with a rolling pin until the fillets are about 5mm/ ¼ in thick.

Cut the chicken into strips about 1cm/ ½ in wide.  Heat the oil in a large frying pan and stir-fry the chicken strips with the shallot, garlic and paprika over a high heat for about 3 minutes until they are lightly browned and cooked through.  Add the lemon juice and parsley and season to taste.  Serve with the lemon wedges and garnish with the flat leaf parsley.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2008, 12:39:25 pm »
It was before the Indian cuisine took off.  We did eat an Indian meal in a restaurant in Bold Street once.  The most memorable memory was that they had a life sized tiger which which was inexpertantly stuffed (possib

You can't leave a story like that unfinished!  I demand a resolution, dammit!