Author Topic: #SHANKLY100 Emlyn - A Tribute to Crazy Horse  (Read 26913 times)

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• Elevated to the RAWK Peerage. Furious Legend In His Own Lunchtime.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Humans were harmed in the making of this picture
Re: Emlyn - A Tribute to Crazy Horse
« Reply #80 on: September 3, 2010, 09:22:37 pm »
Made my bottom lip wobble a couple of times, I was there on so many of those nights, I remember his debut, just like yesterday.  You young lads (and girls) - don't waste one day, squeeze every drop you can out of them.   Cheers.
From the Country of Liverpool

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: September 3, 2010, 09:58:40 pm »
Thanks Phil, that was great, bringing back so many memories of a truly great footballer, He blotted his copy book with many of us for supporting Thatcher when so many of us fans were being cast aside by her policies and we forgot how much we loved him in a red shirt. However that should never let us forget his achievements, where he never gave less than 100% and what a 100% it was, enthusiasm married with skill and game intelligence. 'Come on without, come on within, you won't see nothing like the Mighty Emlyn'
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: September 3, 2010, 10:12:01 pm »
Saw him play many many times, saw him at a sportsman evening in 2002 in colwyn bay a star man answered so many questions that night and loved talking about Shanks that night RIP crazy horse, loved the goals you scored against blue noses away think it was 71 and your celebrations too ! we talk about legends many times on this site sometimes too easily and Emlyn you were a true legend and a great and a truly awesome defender and captain of LFC.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2010, 10:24:27 pm by gatcliffe »
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: September 4, 2010, 12:03:25 pm »
christ Phil,some real pride and effort has gone into posting this,thanks..
Emlyn was the 1st liverpool player i ever spoke to,as he got out of his car in the main stand car park before the match,i asked him for his autograph,remember him saying to me if i said please it would be no problem!!!!
was in the park end when he scored the 2 against everton,being a short arse i never saw the ball hit the back of the net,just saw him running towards us with that beaming smile on his face,looked forward to match of the day for months after cos they always started with one of those goals..
was also lucky enough to be in rome when he lifted that beautiful gleaming trophy,that i swear from our end looked about eight foot tall..
very good friend of mine presented him with a racing trophy at bangor on dee,just after he became ill,said he still had that beaming smile we will all remember him for..
Emlyn Hughes one of our all time liverpool legends.....

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: September 4, 2010, 12:11:51 pm »
That beaming smile lifting the FA Cup, the UEFA Cup, the League Championship, the European Cup in Rome is one of my favourite childhood memories.

What a very good player too. Two footed, strong as an ox, quick, could play the lot. Emlyn was so good he could have played anywhere across the back 4 or in midfield in his heyday.

Sadly missed.

Offline pooley

• No...! They're not baby wipes!
  • Kopite
« Reply #85 on: September 4, 2010, 04:17:26 pm »
Emlyn was a fabulous player, covered every blade of grass and never gave less than 100% and could play as well. Nobody will ever forgot his joyous celebrations after scoring a goal. It was like having a Kopite on the pitch, a true legend who is sorely missed.
I wish I could still climb up the drain-pipe that used to be at the back of the toilet that was outside the kop.

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: September 4, 2010, 04:24:48 pm »
Thanks for the memories. Top Player, sadly missed.

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: September 4, 2010, 05:47:32 pm »
This is a superb thread.  Many thanks for putting the information together.

I was fortunate enough to have seen his entire career with Liverpool so it brought back many happy memories of games I was at.

Emlyn lived in digs in Wavertree in his early years with us, just a few minutes walk from my house, so I used to see him very regularly.  You could set your watch by him going into the bookies on Lawrence Road before the first race practically every day of the week.  There were no airs and graces about him.  He had time for everybody and would always stop for a chat with fans.   He was absolutely down to earth, just one of the lads.

One thing that always sticks in my mind about him was after a midweek game at Anfield many years ago.  After the final whistle me and my mates would give it just five minutes or so to let the crowds die down and then would make our way down towards Queens Drive to get the 60 bus back to Wavertree.  After that particular game we decided to stop off on the way in a pub along Utting Avenue for a quick pint.  We were amazed to see Emlyn at the bar with a couple of people necking a pint!  How he managed to get showered, changed, out of the stadium, though the crowds and into the pub to be halfway through a pint no more than 15 minutes after the final whistle never ceases to amaze me.  Which of our overpaid prima donna players would even consider joining in with the fans in a local pub these days?  It just wouldn't happen

But as a player he was very under-rated generally.  He had the lot and would be the first name I'd have on my all-time best Liverpool XI.  He would walk into the team today - indeed he'd walk into any premier league club's team and probably be man-of-the-match most weeks

A truly great, great player and I feel privileged to have seen him for all those years in a red shirt

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #88 on: September 4, 2010, 06:03:00 pm »
Great read that Phil. I absolutely loved both the man and the player, a true gent with a soft charismatic side off the field and a goliath on it.

They broke the mould after The Mighty Emlyn..
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline redoneusa

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: September 4, 2010, 07:04:44 pm »
Fantastic post mate really good, well thought out and put together read. He really set the standards for what fans expect of there players today.

A real quality player, who deserves all of our respect. We miss you Emlyn and we all miss your big smile and never ending enthusiasm. Like the boss you signed you both will be remembered as one-off's from a unique mold.

God bless Emlyn.

You will find me on Twatter: Follow my Twatter

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #90 on: September 4, 2010, 07:25:54 pm »
I was very fortunate to see Emlyn play. He was the most energetic player I've seen. He was full of passion and commitment. A pleasure to watch. A great man who give his heart and his soul during every match. He could step into almost any position in defence (other than the keeper). He would solve our full back problem in an instant.

Oh how his enthusiasm is sorely missed.

We've had many legends at the club......Emlyn would be the first on my all-time best team.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2010, 07:28:21 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Re: #SHANKLY100 Emlyn - A Tribute to Crazy Horse
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2013, 02:12:42 pm »
Bump from Zeb

Nice one mate, some of my pictures aren't displaying but I'm hoping that's just my browser.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2013, 02:32:56 pm »
Nice one mate, some of my pictures aren't displaying but I'm hoping that's just my browser.

All the pics and videos seem to be showing for me Phil, though the two videos for Brugges have been taken down from Youtube.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2013, 02:49:01 pm »
All the pics and videos seem to be showing for me Phil, though the two videos for Brugges have been taken down from Youtube.

Thanks mate, am viewing on a shitty IE browser at work so can't really tell. I'll try and update the videos if possible later ta.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
« Reply #94 on: September 2, 2013, 02:58:40 pm »
The phrase "wears his heart on his sleeve" was surely coined for Emyln. One of a kind. I doubt anyone ever enjoyed the game/life as much as he did.

Bill Shankly's spirit and ethos flowed through him, it still pours into our club today and always will.
I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.