Author Topic: PL: Liverpool 0 vs 1 Burnley ‘83 Barnes (p)  (Read 53689 times)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
PL: Liverpool 0 vs 1 Burnley ‘83 Barnes (p)
« on: January 21, 2021, 07:12:40 pm »
So, after the biggest fixture in British football turned out to be somewhat of a damp squib, we're left with more questions than answers. Those questions we'll revisit shortly but for now let's focus on our upcoming match against our Lancashire neighbors. There is no getting away from our recent poor form, one win in our last five league games has seen us surrender top spot to our biggest rivals and we currently find ourselves in 4th place with it all to do to get back to the top.

Our injury issues are well documented, we've been hit hard this season and they've really impacted our form. For all the worry and grief of losing our CB's to injury, it seems the biggest impact at this moment in time has been the loss of summer signing Diogo Jota. The Portuguese forward has hit the ground running since his surprise £45m move from Wolves in the summer, scoring 9 goals in 17 games this season. With our usually brilliant front three struggling for goals and form in recent games, Jota's absence has been duly noted, hopefully it's not long before we see him return.

Thursday sees us welcome struggling Burnley to Anfield, they sit in 17th position in the table and find themselves in a real dog fight for Premier League survival. For all their critics, they must be credited for finding ways to continuously survive despite having one of the worst styles of football you're likely to see. Anyways, each to their own, they have a style that works for them and the onus will be on us to break them down. Their tactics will be obvious, men behind the ball, soak up pressure and look to hit us on the break or hope to hurt us via a set piece, a blueprint that has worked quite well for other teams in recent games. It's not just us struggling for goals of late, Dyche's men have scored 9 league goals all season and are not the most creative of sides, but this time round they seem to be letting a few in, having conceded 22 in their 17 games so far this season. (Don't ask for a fancy xG table, I can't make heads or tails of them).

There is no denying recent results have been poor and we've dropped points in some very winnable games which means the pressure is really on. But, in Klopp we have a wonderful manager that has seen it all before and we have a very good squad that can get us out of this rut. We need something to fall our way, in recent weeks we've been hampered by injuries, poor form, bad luck and shit officiating, yesterday was just another incident in a long list of bizarre calls when Tierney decided to blow early for half time with Mane through on goal. We can't control the aforementioned issues, but, we can control how much fight and effort we put in. So, I'm hoping Burnley feel the brunt of our frustrations and the lads swarm them in a style that we've been accustomed to.

Recent meetings

11/07/2020 Liverpool 1-1 Burnley
31/08/2019 Burnley   0-3 Liverpool
10/03/2019 Liverpool 4-2 Burnley
05/12/2018 Burnley   1-3 Liverpool
01/01/2018 Burnley   1-2 Liverpool
16/09/2017 Liverpool 1-1 Burnley

Current league form

Liverpool - DLDDW
Burnley   - LLWLW

Injury news

For Liverpool, the long term injured personnel will remain out but there is a welcome boost in the form of Joel Matip, the CB is likely to return for this fixture.

Burnley have an almost fully fit squad to pick from with usual left back Charlie Taylor close to a return.

Questions and discussion points.

What is going on with our attacking play?

Is this game tailor-made for Nat Phillips Joel Matip CB partnership?

Keep the same attacking players or is it time to rotate?

finally, your predictions?

Come on Redmen, let's twat these Brexit voting, banner flying, gravel voiced, Rugby tactics loving twats.  :wave

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:04:53 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Liverpool 0 vs 1 Burnley ‘83 Barnes (p)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 07:13:46 pm »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 07:18:11 pm »
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 08:00:21 pm »
Burnley kick off.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 08:02:54 pm »
2 An early corner for the Reds after some good early play from Mane, but the shot goes wide.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 08:04:35 pm »
3 A freekick for Burnely is cleared by us and we turn it into a quick counter attack, but Burnley win the ball back.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 08:05:33 pm »
Nick pope has taken a world record time to take a goal kick there I reckon... remarkable
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 08:07:00 pm »
5 A good move there ends up in another corner for us. So close to opening the score there, a really good Mane header is just about cleared. A second corner is cleared.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 08:07:51 pm »
7 A really nicely curled shot there from Sadio, but it just goes out.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 08:09:19 pm »
8 Shaq is very visible early doors nipping and winning balls and some nice passing from him so far.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 08:10:52 pm »
10 Another crazy last ditch flag when it was clear Barnes was offside.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 08:12:52 pm »
There’s a wee bit of space between their full backs and centre backs .. which is promising ...
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 08:13:48 pm »
13 Getting plenty of possession Burnley playing a dangerous game trying to catch us offside. We just need to work on the final ball in.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 08:15:40 pm »
15 We try to build again, but another example of the last ball not being quite good enough and Burnley fumble away.

Over to Tepid.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 08:15:54 pm »
15.  Bright enough start

Lots of tight offsides for Burnley though
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2021, 08:18:46 pm »
So wonderful having Alisson back, he sees things so early and deals with them quickly.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 08:19:29 pm »
19 long ball over the top.. Matip magnificent in dealing with Wood... but it’s then given offside
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 08:21:12 pm »
21 corner to the reds

It’s headed behind and the follow up is cleared

Shaq then fires a stinger just wide of Pope’s post.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 08:22:53 pm »
23 now Ox has a shot from outside the area which Pope holds.
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 08:23:23 pm »
We are at least having shots this game, think we look quite lively.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2021, 08:24:07 pm »
24. Oooohn

Thiago beats two in no space and fires a ball out wide.

The cross is somehow cut out to prevent Origi getting a tap in.  Greta football.  Good defending.
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 08:25:42 pm »
We are playing some really, nice stuff we just need a bit of luck. A nice United type deflection wouldn't go amiss just to get us going.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2021, 08:27:09 pm »
27 free kick to the left of the area after Robbo is bundled over way after the ball had gone.

Free kick for a push in the area. 
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2021, 08:29:09 pm »
29 Origi shoots at the keeper now...

Good build up play, needed a better contact though
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2021, 08:30:17 pm »
Over to Sir Bob
W

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2021, 08:32:14 pm »
32 Decent break from Mane and Origi ends with Divock firing straight at the keeper. Burnley certainly not shy to come forward.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2021, 08:33:17 pm »
He got some real power on that.  Any where else and that goes in.
W

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2021, 08:33:45 pm »
33 Again decent approach play but it ends with a wasted cross from Trent

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2021, 08:35:11 pm »
35 Free kick Burnley out on the left after a daft foul by Shaq. Half cleared and then a tame shot easily held by Alisson

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2021, 08:37:33 pm »
37 Trent smashes over from outside the box.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2021, 08:39:10 pm »
38 Robbo smashes a shot which is well saved by Pope. Previously Barnes scythes Thiago down, nasty tackle, yellow card.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2021, 08:39:16 pm »
Dreadful dreadful tackle on Thiago there. Gone straight through him two footed.
W

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2021, 08:41:04 pm »
40 Decent move ends with Trents shot deflected over. We’re playing quite well but can’t create anything clear cut. Another half chance but Mane offside at the back stick.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2021, 08:43:07 pm »
Oh FFS... Divock no!
W

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2021, 08:43:31 pm »
43. Fuck off. Huge mess by Mee, should clear it and miss kicks. Divock clean through, all day to make a decision  and hits the bar. Simply has to score.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2021, 08:46:03 pm »
44 Mane taken out as he tries to work his way into the box. Free kick on the edge. Trent and Thiago over it, Shaq too. It’s awful. They try to tee up Trent and he smashes it over.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2021, 08:46:35 pm »
Should have hot Shaq to smash it.  Too close for a curler
W

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2021, 08:46:40 pm »
HT No surprises. 0-0. Oh it’s kicking off. VAR getting involved. It’s a nothing. Goal kick Burnley just on the whistle, fab backs into Barnes. Absolutely nothing in it. Fab booked, no idea why
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:48:12 pm by BobPaisley3 »

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2021, 08:49:08 pm »
Fabinho bumps into their player ...

Who goes down wanting a red.

Fabinho gets a yellow and it’s reviewed for a red.  Two players just bumped into each other.

Nothing happened what so ever.  Extraordinary
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2021, 08:52:30 pm »
Just sell Divock.

What the utter fuck

I think he’s been useful tonight though...
W