Author Topic: Racism in Football  (Read 148962 times)

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
Re: Racism in Football
« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2018, 01:19:08 pm »
Booing, hissing, jeering & shouting is fine (within limits). Its all part of the game and what makes the 'intimidation and atmosphere' unique, i'm talking about losing control of yourself to the point of looking like an utter twat and an embarrassment to your fellow fans.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:21:32 pm by Machae »

Offline ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2018, 01:37:02 pm »
Booing, hissing, jeering & shouting is fine (within limits). Its all part of the game and what makes the 'intimidation and atmosphere' unique, i'm talking about losing control of yourself to the point of looking like an utter twat and an embarrassment to your fellow fans.

All of Anfield must have been a embrassement then when we scored the winner in the derby, I certainly lost control then.... ;)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #162 on: December 11, 2018, 01:59:17 pm »

Unless you are a Bitter.

In which case the more purple headed you are just before you launch your four year old at the opposition player taking a corner the more likely you are to win fan of the year.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #163 on: December 11, 2018, 03:17:35 pm »
Sterling is a fucking hero. He’s showing a level of maturity way beyond his years in the face of horrendous provocation and hostility. Most of us would have bust a fuse.

I shall now treat him as I would my son. Other than when he comes to Anfield when I shall hope that he falls over every time he tries to kick the ball.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2018, 03:20:10 pm »
Lord Ousley standing down at the end of the season.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2018, 03:51:39 pm »
Sterling is a fucking hero. He’s showing a level of maturity way beyond his years in the face of horrendous provocation and hostility. Most of us would have bust a fuse.

I shall now treat him as I would my son. Other than when he comes to Anfield when I shall hope that he falls over every time he tries to kick the ball.

I think this is spot on. Raheem deserves everyone's respect.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2018, 03:56:07 pm »
The sad truth is that Europe is going to be more and more racist, intolerant, xenophobic etc. People saying "I can't believe this is still happening" - well, believe, because this is the worst period of Europe since Nazism. All over Europe the far right politics are getting more and more popular, and as a result, we'll see more and more incidents like this.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2018, 04:14:04 pm »

To be honest, seeing how he reacted to that abuse the other night has given me a new respect for him. He's probably had to deal with that all of his career. It's a lot to deal with for a young lad regardless of how much money he's on. On top of all the shit he gets from the tabloids. I've generally been a big fan of the booing of him when he comes to Anfield because it's a bit of pantomime isn't it - he's the villain for leaving us in those circumstances and it clearly affects him on the pitch. The booing is lighthearted for me, but then you'll still get some gammon absolutely screaming and calling him a fucking c*nt from 10 yards away which is a bit much, so I'm not surprised some see that kind of environment as an opportunity to call him a fucking black c*nt.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: December 11, 2018, 07:12:31 pm »
So the Chelsea fan accused of this is claiming he ‘didn’t call him a black c*nt, I called him a Manx c*nt.’

To be fair, if that is proven to be true, which is a big of, then he’s been treated fairly harshly as he’s lost his job and his season ticket over it. Calling someone a Manc c*nt is something I can personally say I’ve done at many Man United matches down the years as have many of us i’m Sure.

Sterlings comments cleared up the 'if'

Were he called manc, he wouldn't have even mentioned it in the post he made to be honest. Believe him 100% over a guy whos been caught doing something disgusting and is trying to save himself. Said it before i'll say it again, what reason does Sterling have to lie

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: December 11, 2018, 10:47:25 pm »
To be honest, seeing how he reacted to that abuse the other night has given me a new respect for him. He's probably had to deal with that all of his career. It's a lot to deal with for a young lad regardless of how much money he's on. On top of all the shit he gets from the tabloids. I've generally been a big fan of the booing of him when he comes to Anfield because it's a bit of pantomime isn't it - he's the villain for leaving us in those circumstances and it clearly affects him on the pitch. The booing is lighthearted for me, but then you'll still get some gammon absolutely screaming and calling him a fucking c*nt from 10 yards away which is a bit much, so I'm not surprised some see that kind of environment as an opportunity to call him a fucking black c*nt.
The distance and true difference between harmless goading and going OTT with the abuse is difficult for many people; the mentality that fosters the behavior of four grown men screaming their lungs out at a chilled Sterling, IMO, goes back to tribalism in football present in every club.

To put an example, Gerrard had nice and cordial relations with almost all his England team-mates (that I know of), many of whom you'd have people here [or on other team's forums] chastise as "utter c*nts" or whatever, maybe for pulling a strong foul on a Liverpool player [or a player from another team] at the very most, but most probably based solely on the fact they're from another team and not specially likeable (like say, Mata or Kante).

The "consensus" of said opposing player being a "c*nt" goes on and on, and the hate, coupled with peoples' frustrations at life (probably) lead to an environment that facilitates OTT abuse, which also includes racist abuse.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2018, 11:14:29 pm »
The distance and true difference between harmless goading and going OTT with the abuse is difficult for many people; the mentality that fosters the behavior of four grown men screaming their lungs out at a chilled Sterling, IMO, goes back to tribalism in football present in every club.

To put an example, Gerrard had nice and cordial relations with almost all his England team-mates (that I know of), many of whom you'd have people here [or on other team's forums] chastise as "utter c*nts" or whatever, maybe for pulling a strong foul on a Liverpool player [or a player from another team] at the very most, but most probably based solely on the fact they're from another team and not specially likeable (like say, Mata or Kante).

The "consensus" of said opposing player being a "c*nt" goes on and on, and the hate, coupled with peoples' frustrations at life (probably) lead to an environment that facilitates OTT abuse, which also includes racist abuse.

I think tribalism does play a big part. Another thing that comes into play is how people often tend to behave out of character when in a group.
For anyone who has not heard the term before, there is such a thing in psychology called Deindividuation. This link is a very basic definition.

https://www.alleydog.com/glossary/definition.php?term=Deindividuation

You see this at work in large gatherings of people, and football crowds are one such example. Many people at grounds will chant all sorts of things that they'd not necessarily think when on their own in daily life. Basically, the perceived anonymity of being in a crowd can erode our sense of awareness and our inhibitions along with our sense of responsibility. This, of course, is no excuse, but it maybe helps us understand the psychology of what's going on in certain situations.

Some people who shout abuse when in a crowd are just horrible scumbags, but sometimes they are just the guy you work with who is normally placid but can sometimes lose it when whipped up in a crowd.

Anyway, I'm sure a lot of factors come into play in scenarios like Sterling experienced. I'm only highlighting one factor of potentially many.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 11:19:05 pm by Spion Night, Holy Night »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2018, 11:23:46 pm »
Yeah, mob mentality definitely plays a part too. I brought tribalism up mainly because I think it's a good part of football when harmless, but I hate when it goes against logic and objectivity (a point where I've had some disagreements with people here, where thinking like that is akin to being a killjoy).

That absence of logic and objectivity is where ugly stuff like racism thrives.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2018, 01:08:48 am »
Yeah, mob mentality definitely plays a part too. I brought tribalism up mainly because I think it's a good part of football when harmless, but I hate when it goes against logic and objectivity (a point where I've had some disagreements with people here, where thinking like that is akin to being a killjoy).

That absence of logic and objectivity is where ugly stuff like racism thrives.

I absolutely love the tribal aspect of football and always have. Especially in the 70s I spent more of my time on the Spion Kop / Anny Road verbally sparring with the opposition. The football itself almost came second in a way. The whole pomp and ceremony of it was captivating. I know there were plenty of dodgy goings on back then too, but there was also a sense of pantomime about the whole thing.

I remember we had Coventry up for a night match, in a cup game if I recall correctly. Not sure if it was 70s or 80s but they brought thousands up and there were loads of them in the Kemlyn. Some Coventry fan in a white top was giving us loads, so the whole Kop sang ''We're gonna fuck that fella in the white'' at him. It was really funny, and he soon shut his mouth. Reality was, no one would have touched the guy. He was having a laugh. We had a laugh in return. Personally, I just loved the whole thing. We'd sing how we all hated Leeds, but I never really hated Leeds. It was a pantomime kind of 'hate'.

These days there seems to be less perspective. People often really do hate. We actually live in more enlightened times than we did back then, but the undercurrent is far more disturbing and sinister than it used to be. Take the derby for instance. If you look at the Everton fans, where is their humour now? It's pretty much all genuine hatred bordering on the pathological. I remember in Anfield derbies before kick-off some of them would walk across the pitch with a big Everton flag right in front of the Kop. We'd all drown them with boos and abuse. We'd walk down their end and do likewise. Again, tribal, but pretty harmless posturing and panto.

Now, you can encounter Blues in daily life who are decent people, but when in their mob they turn into absolute lunatics. As horrible as they act, and as ugly as it looks, the whole thing is fascinating on some level too. I suppose deindividuation plays a part there somewhere. The hardcore loons will get the ball rolling, then that mob mentality kicks in with many others in the group who then follow suit and do/chant things they wouldn't normally. This may see some join in with the death fetish style of chants they currently indulge in. With the Stamford Bridge incident it could see people who may not normally act in a racist manner suddenly joining in with or even starting a racist tirade.

I don't know what it is, but in society generally there seems to be a gloves off approach these days. So many people have no filter whatsoever. They think it, so they say it. Regardless of the consequences.

Anyway, I'm going off on one now. Basically, I agree with you. Tribalism in football can be fantastic, but we have to know where and when to draw the line. If it's a gloves off thing with no filter, it can go rancid pretty quickly. When that happens you get tit-for-tat and a downward spiral that is very difficult to halt.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2018, 08:01:59 pm »
Disgraceful:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/jamie-robson-dundee-united-blackface-picture-instagram-blacked-up-club-investigation-a8679146.html

Sure I saw a woman had her daughter dressed up like that at Halloween as well and defended it making out it wasn't offensive at all

Offline beardsleyismessimk1

• Owner Of A Messy Room!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is for living, so live it
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2018, 08:02:05 pm »
Not sure I'd agree with that - off the top of my head Makelele, Essien, Gilberto Silva and Kante are amongst the very best to have played in the PL and I reckon in a couple of years Keita and Wijnaldum will commonly be spoken about in the same company. I've never thought black people being stereotyped as not being able to play in the middle was a thing, but maybe I'm being naive.

All foreign,  think he was speaking about players In england
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Offline beardsleyismessimk1

• Owner Of A Messy Room!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is for living, so live it
« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2018, 08:08:11 pm »
Well at least they let black people play with them. Still no indians kicking a piece of leather around in the top flight, yet their are barristers, surgeons etc yet not one indian from England playing football.  Even though indians have a better build structure for the game then most Europeans. Funny how there are British Polish players already making it in the league's. So it's definitely a limited style approach to the game. Big white Europeans or "he is built like a tank" blacks who fit the limited capabilities of the football intelligence in this country.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:30:19 pm by beardsleyismessimk1 »
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2018, 08:23:45 pm »
The sad truth is that Europe is going to be more and more racist, intolerant, xenophobic etc. People saying "I can't believe this is still happening" - well, believe, because this is the worst period of Europe since Nazism. All over Europe the far right politics are getting more and more popular, and as a result, we'll see more and more incidents like this.

I think the Hungarians, Poles and Czechs who were brutally suppressed by the Soviets between the 1950s and 1980s when they showed a glimmer of freedom may disagree.

And the citizens of Sarajevo, not to mention all the others who died in the Balkans in the 1990s.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2018, 10:49:31 pm »
Had a read on one of their forums out of interest to see their take on the whole thing as its one of their fans

I fear for this country sometimes with how people view things like this

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2018, 11:16:23 pm »
Fuckin hell mate. which years were this? I can't get my head around this....

Early 90s, London. It is not a unique experience.

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: December 13, 2018, 12:27:59 am »
Small world.  I grew up in Charlton/Woolwich and yeah Kidbrooke/Eltham/Mottingham were always places we didnt wanna play.

This weekend has really been a disaster for British football.  You had the Chelsea incident as well as Hearts having to ban some fans for hurling racist abuse. 

This needs sorting out.  Personally I would like to see the players just walk off the pitch.

The game took place in Kidbrooke...

Here's the problem: they have agents that do not look like them, or have interest in their cultural needs. And in my opinion are in their ears and telling them to keep quiet, their heads down and not do any of that political shit. This is why IMO they all look so weak. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard Southgate pronouncing how the players would react to any incidents of racism if it came up in Russia. They've been utterly neutered.
In the past I saw Beckham stopping black players walking off. I've heard pundits saying they should not leave the pitch. Uefa issued a statement that players leaving the field would face punishment for doing so. I've seen players in Italy attempt to leave the field but be stopped by teammates. Ditto turkish football. So all of these team"mates" see and hear the abuse, have fuck all solutions or help. Then as soon as the target says enough, suddenly they've got something to say? All game you said nothing but feel so emboldened as to tell me how to feel or react when I'm subjected to something you do not experience? At what point do these 'men' show some pride. There is no dignity staying on a pitch and having low IQ mouth breathers calling you mono (yes busquets, I'm looking at you) despite what what retired black footballers say. At the very least it will show you where you truly stand in fifa's et al eyes.

Incase it doesn't embed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8csqMzDUeIU&app=desktop

They need to stand up for themselves and gain demand some self respect. Walk off the pitch and put the pressure back on authorities. How does consistently turning up to their black tie events to do selfies help? These are the same people that consistently fine bendtner more for being "off brand" than for FAs with long histories of degeneracy?

BTW Uefa declared the was no case for busquets to answer for...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 01:35:12 am by Johns_Barn »

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: December 13, 2018, 01:15:27 am »
Sure I saw a woman had her daughter dressed up like that at Halloween as well and defended it making out it wasn't offensive at all
You would expect these idiots to realise by now, that this sort of thing is just not accepted. There have been plenty of news stories about similar instances.

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: December 13, 2018, 02:29:30 am »
Please drop the caught in the moment schtick... They've got form for this.

https://youtu.be/zBeeZVd6urI

What do you think their irrational reaction to the Grenfell banner was all about? It was like fucking krptonite. Outside of Clive I've got another friend that's a blue and has told me how bad they are. Anecdotal yeah but I've seen enough with them.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: December 13, 2018, 09:13:10 am »
Well at least they let black people play with them. Still no indians kicking a piece of leather around in the top flight, yet their are barristers, surgeons etc yet not one indian from England playing football.  Even though Indians have a better build structure for the game then most Europeans. Funny how there are British Polish players already making it in the league's. So it's definitely a limited style approach to the game. Big white Europeans or "he is built like a tank" blacks who fit the limited capabilities of the football intelligence in this country.

I agree with this.  I find it hard to believe their hasn't been one Asian kid who was has been good enough to make it all the way. 

Offline stevejd63

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2018, 12:20:37 pm »
I agree with this.  I find it hard to believe their hasn't been one Asian kid who was has been good enough to make it all the way.

I read a really good article on this, can't remember where but it has not so much to do with racism and everything to do with family expectations as to what a career is. Parents expecting their children to be doctors etc. Sport is not a career that was encouraged within the Asian community. As there is now so much more money in sport that attitude is changing.

Any club that could bring a young Asian lad through would hit the jackpot commercially, so I can't believe racism would play a part in it.

There's enough racism in the world without implying it exists where it probably doesn't.
How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2018, 12:38:36 pm »
I read a really good article on this, can't remember where but it has not so much to do with racism and everything to do with family expectations as to what a career is. Parents expecting their children to be doctors etc. Sport is not a career that was encouraged within the Asian community. As there is now so much more money in sport that attitude is changing.

Any club that could bring a young Asian lad through would hit the jackpot commercially, so I can't believe racism would play a part in it.

There's enough racism in the world without implying it exists where it probably doesn't.

That was the case maybe 20 to 30 years ago, but not anymore. Me and my brother certainly weren't encouraged to play the game and were told constantly that education is more important.

When chatting to my mates, mostly Indian who still play, one manages a decent Saturday league team, we pretty much agree that it mostly comes down to genetics. We aren't quick or strong enough to make it to the professional level. If you look at the few who have come close, M Chopra and ex-Liverpool's Yan Dhanda, they are both mixed race - Indian father and White Mother in both cases. I think there's something in our theory.

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2018, 01:10:26 pm »
That was the case maybe 20 to 30 years ago, but not anymore. Me and my brother certainly weren't encouraged to play the game and were told constantly that education is more important.

When chatting to my mates, mostly Indian who still play, one manages a decent Saturday league team, we pretty much agree that it mostly comes down to genetics. We aren't quick or strong enough to make it to the professional level. If you look at the few who have come close, M Chopra and ex-Liverpool's Yan Dhanda, they are both mixed race - Indian father and White Mother in both cases. I think there's something in our theory.
Cricket is less reliant on physicality and the England cricket team has on the face of it a good recent history of Asian players (Hussain, Panesar, Moeen Ali, Rashid etc.).  I remember an interview with Ali - that annoyingly I can't find now - where he said he felt like he has always had to battle against discrimination and that the County cricket scene was overly-represented by Public School alumni at the expense of opportunities going to the best of the club players.

At the other end of the spectrum is sprinting... https://www.hindustantimes.com/static/olympics/every-country-fastest-man-in-one-race-100m/

One interesting footnote is: "Today, at least 101 countries have a faster national [100m] record than India.".  With the context that India has a population of 1.2-3bn - approximately 16% of global population - it's a surprising figure.  Clearly there's more to it than just genetics; Britain's performances at recent Olympics have directly correlated with the sums of money invested by the likes of the National Lottery.

Football is clearly different as there's thankfully more to it than running as fast as possible in a straight line.  The great Fowler himself was hardly an elite athlete!  On the flip-side though if there are two similar footballers technically and tactically then the one with the greater athleticism is going to get the breaks.  It would be nice to think youth coaches are more open minded but I'm sure there's still some who see fast/tall/strong as big ticks against a player when deciding who to retain or release.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: December 13, 2018, 01:22:24 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I defo think there's an element of racism linked to the reason why Asian footballers aren't making it. But I think it's mostly down to genetics. If a player is good enough they'll find it tougher to make it, but they'll get there eventually. The top clubs want one.

Think both Manchester clubs, Arsenal and Chelsea, have all had academies in India. Liverpool have had a presence there. Any club that finds a top Indian player will hit a marketing goldmine - an untapped market of a billion people who love a national hero.

Online boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #188 on: December 13, 2018, 01:52:34 pm »
My best mates Indian, and he's crap at footie. Plus he is a gooner. Although his mum makes the loveliest veggie samosas, which is why I tolerate the wanker.

From my perspective of UK indian guys, its their families which push them towards more professional career paths. Such as surgeons, doctors and engineers like my gooner twat of a bezzie. Although all bets are off when its cricket. His Dad bemoans the fact he couldt hit a cricket ball with a barn door. Tells him hes adopted.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2018, 01:55:31 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I defo think there's an element of racism linked to the reason why Asian footballers aren't making it. But I think it's mostly down to genetics. If a player is good enough they'll find it tougher to make it, but they'll get there eventually. The top clubs want one.

Think both Manchester clubs, Arsenal and Chelsea, have all had academies in India. Liverpool have had a presence there. Any club that finds a top Indian player will hit a marketing goldmine - an untapped market of a billion people who love a national hero.
Do players of Asian origin, outside of the South Asian subcontinent count?

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: December 13, 2018, 02:11:41 pm »
Do players of Asian origin, outside of the South Asian subcontinent count?

To be honest, I don't the term "Asian". I'm talking about those with Indian/Pakistani heritage.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: December 13, 2018, 02:18:00 pm »
To be honest, I don't the term "Asian". I'm talking about those with Indian/Pakistani heritage.

We've cerrainly had South Korean and Japanese players in the PL.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: December 13, 2018, 02:41:30 pm »
You would expect these idiots to realise by now, that this sort of thing is just not accepted. There have been plenty of news stories about similar instances.

Its now being shoved in with the 'PC' pile which is what as a black person seeing this stuff crop up in the news really really irritates me.

You can't make an openly racist joke (if you can even call it that) then just use that as a defence when you are challenged. Alan Sugars pathetic picture posted on Twitter was a prime example of it. People will say this stuff then have loads of people back them up and say 'if you're offended by it then you're just being too sensitive, everyones too sensitive these days'. To a certain extent and in certain scenarios I do think people nowadays can be too sensitive. There's some stuff I see pop up on the tvs at work for debate (we have daytime tv playing during the day in our shop) which is bizarre and just makes no sense for me. e.g. I remember the woman arguing that being a gentleman and doing things like holding doors is offensive and means you are expecting something back, for me that's nonsense and is being too sensitive, other things have no right to be thrown into a pile with that because the entire basis of that argument is flawed with things that simply aren't true.

It grates on me to see some disgusting acts defended in any way shape or form possible and those that suffer condemned or told to just get on with it. As mentioned above its strange to see players told not to walk off the pitch when it happens, in some ways I think its colleagues saying 'dont let them see that its affecting you' which is understandable and people trying to show support, but in others... if you suffer and see others like you suffer and have not      hing done, what are you supposed to do? I sometimes wonder what would happen if a player did a Zidane and lashed out off the back of abuse. Those in charge wave away a       huge amount of these incidents but in that case surely they are stuck in an awkward position. Players don't tend to lash out without provocation, i'm sure they would find a way to either punish both players or claim the one provoking said something that wasn't racist. It all needs to be dealt with in a much harsher way and people claims need to be taken seriously 

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: December 13, 2018, 04:33:20 pm »
I think the stereotype of Asian parents wanting their kids to be Doctors or Surgeons was true a generation or two ago, I don't really think that applies anymore. Maybe in a few years time we will start seeing an influx of British born Asians plying their trade in the Football League.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 04:55:12 pm by Machae »

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #194 on: December 13, 2018, 05:21:15 pm »

That's not true.  I'm from the midlands and I've seen plenty of quality asian players in and around the semi pro level who  were as strong or quick as players of any other ethnicity - inc. Yan Dhanda's uncle who is Indian.  Also, there plenty of asian lads competing in sports like boxing, wrestling and mma so I don't think physicality is the issue. 

Yan Dhanda is an example of someone who isn't of a particularly strong build nor is he lightning quick yet he has made his way into the pro arena.  The difference with Yan - from what I know of him - is that his dad really supported him with his wish to be a footballer and that he himself was bloody minded and committed enough to put in the graft to make it (he is technically gifted too mind).

I remember coming across a player called Indy Khela (not to be confused with the notoriously foolish twitter Indy Khela) playing in the old Division 3 for Kidderminster Harriers - would've been around 2001/2002 when Jan Molby was in charge.  He was about 18 at the time and looked set for a promising career - albeit in the lower leagues.  Couple of bad shoulder dislocations done his pro career in but he went onto play and captain Telford Utd in the conference for 4 or 5 years.

I've a few friends with young sons who are in kids academies so watch quite a bit of their footie.  There are definitely now more asian kids being picked up and coached from a very young age so it's only a matter of time before a few start breaking through.

'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2018, 05:52:16 pm »
The athleticism argument never sits right with me, mainly because there's a shit tonne of players out there, right up to the very top of the game, i'm talking world class, who aren't particularly quick or strong and yet still succeed.

If people watched (just as an example) peps barcelona and the World Cup and Euros winning Spain sides and still think strength and speed are the be all and end all then footballs not the right sport for you. David Silva (again just an example) isn't a player you would describe as fast at all, nor is he someone who you reguarly see hold off players, speed of thought keeps him at the top of the game, he could play well into his 30's and likely still be an elite talent due to this. For me its a cop out to say an entire race of people are quick or strong enough to make it in a sport

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2018, 07:53:22 pm »

Hmmm, not sure about that. Agree about the Indians who came in the 70's and wanted their kids to have an education as they saw that as a more stable and 'real' career than one in sports. And first generation Indians born here don't have that mentality. Not sure about the physical thing, I've haven't seen anything to suggest that. My feeling is that those people born here now are able to encourage their kids to be footballers but it will take a while and that there is still a mentality in football that Asians aren't strong or just generally capable enough, like black players before, either consciously or unconsciously, though obviously not as bad. I can see one making it soon though given more and more Asian kids are now encouraged.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2018, 08:48:09 pm »
The athleticism argument never sits right with me, mainly because there's a shit tonne of players out there, right up to the very top of the game, i'm talking world class, who aren't particularly quick or strong and yet still succeed.

If people watched (just as an example) peps barcelona and the World Cup and Euros winning Spain sides and still think strength and speed are the be all and end all then footballs not the right sport for you. David Silva (again just an example) isn't a player you would describe as fast at all, nor is he someone who you reguarly see hold off players, speed of thought keeps him at the top of the game, he could play well into his 30's and likely still be an elite talent due to this. For me its a cop out to say an entire race of people are quick or strong enough to make it in a sport

According to some studies, indians ( the majority, because surely there are many exceptions) have weaker lungs and the least lean muscle tissue, compared to africans and europeans. Not sure if that's due to genetics solely, or the low protein diet.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2018, 09:15:51 pm »
Chelsea fans have been chanting anti-Semitic slogans tonight in Hungary. It really is back to the 1980s for these scum.

I wonder if it’s Brexit that’s bringing it all out again?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2018, 09:26:08 pm »
According to some studies, indians ( the majority, because surely there are many exceptions) have weaker lungs and the least lean muscle tissue, compared to africans and europeans. Not sure if that's due to genetics solely, or the low protein diet.

Which studies?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.