Author Topic: Harry Kewell  (Read 91366 times)

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Harry Kewell to retire at the end of the season
« Reply #360 on: March 26, 2014, 01:16:39 pm »
He was a great player when fit.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: March 26, 2014, 01:29:54 pm »

Being completely honest, i'd actually forgotten that he started that game.

It wasn't a very memorable contribution was it... I guess I was so horrified when I saw him on the teamsheet that it stuck in my mind ;D

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #362 on: March 26, 2014, 01:32:20 pm »
Was a fine player, but if I remember correctly didn't he love the high-life with his bird at the time?

Seemed to have a dip in form before he moved to us.
Continually on 11,420.

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: March 26, 2014, 01:37:12 pm »
Remember him scoring a header against the Mancs at 2-0 down.  Heskey missed a sitter at the end.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: March 26, 2014, 01:39:54 pm »
He was a great player when fit.

Shame that was pretty much never.

I remember being so excited when we were linked with him. He was the 'final piece in the puzzle', but sadly he ranks high on the list of overhyped disappointments.

Thanks for the fleeting memories Harry.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: March 26, 2014, 01:45:42 pm »
Think it was in the FA Cup game in 2006, I remember early on he went into a tackle and cleaned out Gary Neville after about 2 minutes. One of my favourite Harry Kewell moments that.

As above, I don't remember being as excited about anyone than I was with Kewell signing. Sitting in front of SSN all day when they were playing that clip, "Next season, I will be playing for ...." then cutting to an ad break until about 5 o clok in the afternoon they played the full clip. I was ecstatic. Thought he would be go on to be a great player for us.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: March 26, 2014, 01:55:28 pm »
He's only quitting 'cause no-one will pay him any more money to play!
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #368 on: March 26, 2014, 02:23:47 pm »
His celebration in the derby where he bangs his hands together was class ....as was his goal that day ....if you look back , he actually assisted some important goals for us .

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #369 on: March 26, 2014, 02:39:25 pm »
Exciting player at leeds. I was buzzing when he signed for us and he had his moments but never could stay fit.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #370 on: March 26, 2014, 03:01:30 pm »
He was great until that fatal game against Bolton. I think Big Sam was their manager at the time. He got injured and was never the same again.
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline CraigWest92

• Boys Pen
    • The Sports Planet
« Reply #371 on: March 26, 2014, 03:18:41 pm »
Was a great player back in the day, but he hasn't done anything notable in the game for a very long time. It's only his links back to the PL that have given him so much press coverage over the dormant years. I wish him well though and suspect it won't be long before he's a manager learning his trade in the AUS football circuit.

Offline Garcias Sangria

• Anny Roader
  • Not in The Grafton on a Friday night
« Reply #372 on: March 27, 2014, 12:21:41 am »
I thought he was a quality player, but his inability to stay fit was very frustrating... his injuries pretty much put paid to him, IMO.

The Aussies voted him their best ever footballer a couple of years ago.  :o

Best of luck to the fella in his retirement.
Quote from: Owl
If some of u fucking bellends are seriously arsed about this then go to fucking sleep or knock our self out by charging straight at a wall.
It's a fucking pre season
Fuck off u twats
Quote from: Upinsmoke
Go to sleep, but it's only 2.55am

Div

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: March 27, 2014, 01:07:18 am »
Meh, he was no Viduka.

He didn't transfer to Liverpool by chance, that it never truly worked out for him I'm sure will always haunt him.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #374 on: March 27, 2014, 01:19:17 am »
So much promise, but injuries and apathy took their toll. His volley v Spurs the highlight for me, brilliant cross by Steve Finnan as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbHw0XZUX-c

Offline daddykewell

• Anny Roader
« Reply #375 on: March 27, 2014, 01:26:40 am »
As a young kid growing up in Australia (I'm 25 now), I remember Kewell as a 17 year old when he scored in both legs against Iran in the '98 world cup qualifying play off. We failed to qualify on away goals but all of a sudden, a country where the vast majority couldn't give a rats about the round ball game, was talking about this kid.

He inspired (my generation at least) to play and watch the game, he went on to win the PFA young player of the year award in 2000 (to put it into perspective the 99 winner was Anelka and the 01 winner was Gerrard) and when he signed for Liverpool I was ecstatic! I know many a kid my age in Australia that started watching us due to him (having never been old enough to witness Craig Johnson).

Its a shame his injuries hampered his career and we never got to see his full potential; there were flashes now and then but 05/06 was his best for me. 06 FA Cup Semi Final vs Chelsea I felt was his best game for us, midfield of Gerrard - Sissoko - Alonso - Kewell was a treat.

Part of Australia's so called 'golden generation' (Schwarzer, Cahill, Viduka, Kewell) that inspired many in Aus!   

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #376 on: March 27, 2014, 02:20:40 am »
I'm sure he'll make himself available when we reach the Champions League final next season.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: March 27, 2014, 11:05:27 am »
As has been said I always got the impression that he was'nt trying that hard and did'nt seem to want to play with any injury no matter how bad (or not) the injury was. OK player for Liverpool but nothing more.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: March 27, 2014, 11:06:46 am »
I'm sure he'll make himself available when we reach the Champions League final next season.

haha!
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Garcias Sangria

• Anny Roader
  • Not in The Grafton on a Friday night
« Reply #379 on: March 27, 2014, 12:29:03 pm »
As a young kid growing up in Australia (I'm 25 now), I remember Kewell as a 17 year old when he scored in both legs against Iran in the '98 world cup qualifying play off. We failed to qualify on away goals but all of a sudden, a country where the vast majority couldn't give a rats about the round ball game, was talking about this kid.
[....]
Part of Australia's so called 'golden generation' (Schwarzer, Cahill, Viduka, Kewell) that inspired many in Aus!
My fella's an Aussie in his early thirties; he says much the same as this.
Quote from: Owl
If some of u fucking bellends are seriously arsed about this then go to fucking sleep or knock our self out by charging straight at a wall.
It's a fucking pre season
Fuck off u twats
Quote from: Upinsmoke
Go to sleep, but it's only 2.55am

Div

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #380 on: March 27, 2014, 01:02:01 pm »
What a player at Leeds.

Ecstatic when he signed for us.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: March 27, 2014, 02:04:45 pm »
Yeah, he never seemed to emulate his Leeds form anywhere else. Showed flashes of his ability for us, but as people are saying, injuries took their toll.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #382 on: March 27, 2014, 02:41:20 pm »
Echo the sentiments of a couple of others - there are few players I can recall being anywhere near as excited about us signing (even less who we went on to sign ;D).  I remember his first half season, in particularly, being absolutely brilliant for us but his second season was severely hampered by that bizarre injury wasn't it?

Much better in 2005-06 but it felt as though he'd returned as a solid, rather than unspectacular, option.  Injuries again ruled him out during 2006-07 didn't they, but I remember being at the Charlton game on the final day (Robbie's last game!) - he came on midway through the second half and was brilliant (and scored a penalty in front of the Kop just minutes after Robbie had been subbed off!), leading to great clamour for him to start against Milan in Athens.

I remember barely anything about his last season.

Shame it never worked out really but I tend to think he gets excessive criticism - there were plenty of postive moments during his time with us.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #383 on: March 27, 2014, 03:23:34 pm »
He was actually very good for us in 2003/04, just a pity the team was crap! In the early months especially he was a regular scorer.

Even up to 07/08 Rafa would pretty much always play him when fit and certainly trusted him in the big games (you forget now, but for example he played against Porto and Marseilles in those must win Champions League group games).

He had very good patches of form for us in amongst the high profile injuries. Feel pretty bad for him with the way his reputation seems to have gone.

Offline Dingle Red

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in the red and white kop
« Reply #384 on: March 27, 2014, 03:41:09 pm »
The final Piece.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #385 on: March 27, 2014, 03:47:35 pm »
Harry, Harry Kewell, Harry, Harry Kewell.
Continually on 11,420.

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #386 on: March 27, 2014, 05:08:01 pm »
I didn't really watch much of our campaigns in his first couple of seasons here but surely part of the reason he didn't set the world alight was because we had a pretty mediocre side at the time?

Then, once Rafa came, injuries gradually took their toll on him. I for one look back on his time here fondly. Never reached the heights we hoped for but was a solid member of the great side we had in the 2005/06 season. Scored that memorable goal against Everton but for me his finest game for us was the FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea where he put in a MOTM-worthy performance.

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #387 on: March 27, 2014, 06:08:36 pm »
I loved his goal against Everton. I was one of his biggest fans here if u guys can recall. His ponytail year was the best :)
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #388 on: March 27, 2014, 06:14:53 pm »
Plagued by injuries much like Fábio Aurélio, but I remember Aurelio more fondly because my perception was that he gave 110% and was always class when fit.

I'm not saying that's the case, many of those years are becoming a blur now. He got a lot of unfair stick, especially on here at times.
:D

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #389 on: March 27, 2014, 09:12:03 pm »
I always remember his goal for Leeds at Highbury too, probably in his last season with them - running onto a lofted through ball on the inside left and lashing in a half-volley from 25 yards.  Quality.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #390 on: March 28, 2014, 01:50:01 am »
I didn't really watch much of our campaigns in his first couple of seasons here but surely part of the reason he didn't set the world alight was because we had a pretty mediocre side at the time?

Then, once Rafa came, injuries gradually took their toll on him. I for one look back on his time here fondly. Never reached the heights we hoped for but was a solid member of the great side we had in the 2005/06 season. Scored that memorable goal against Everton but for me his finest game for us was the FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea where he put in a MOTM-worthy performance.

Yep - that's because if he was fit, even if he was never going to be the blazing Harry Kewell we all thought we had signed (thanks to injuries), he was still a good option - tactically very astute and a clever player.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: Harry Kewell
« Reply #391 on: October 30, 2014, 11:24:15 am »
first season he was up to double figures by January and scored some crackers and scored in a lot of big games

just went downhill. first season under rafa he was awful, he probably had 5 good games all season at the most. he looked shot of pace, unfit and overweight.

the year we won the fa cup he had a good season (looked a bit pudgy though) but after that he didnt really do anything
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:27:12 am by Hellrazor »
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #392 on: October 31, 2014, 12:36:07 pm »
I'll just echo what everyone else has said,

I just couldn't have been happier when we signed him. He was class at Leeds (he'd just scored that screamer at Highbury I seem to remember) and it all seemed to fit, we needed a player like him and there was literally nobody better in PL to play that position,

That first season he was arguably our best player and again in 05/06 he was brilliant but in a more controlled way. He seemed to lose than zip and extra bit of genius he had but was still a great player. The FA Cup Semi Final against Chelsea he was by far the best player on the pitch,

After that game I thought he'd get his fitness back after a good WC and pre-season and he'd be raring to go again but it just got even worse (didn't he have gout amongst many other things??). 06/07 and 07/08 were almost write-offs playing the odd game here and there and again performing to a decent level but his body was finished.

Such as shame, good player for us but could have been legendry

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: October 31, 2014, 01:40:26 pm »
I'll just echo what everyone else has said,

I just couldn't have been happier when we signed him. He was class at Leeds (he'd just scored that screamer at Highbury I seem to remember) and it all seemed to fit, we needed a player like him and there was literally nobody better in PL to play that position,

That first season he was arguably our best player and again in 05/06 he was brilliant but in a more controlled way. He seemed to lose than zip and extra bit of genius he had but was still a great player. The FA Cup Semi Final against Chelsea he was by far the best player on the pitch,

After that game I thought he'd get his fitness back after a good WC and pre-season and he'd be raring to go again but it just got even worse (didn't he have gout amongst many other things??). 06/07 and 07/08 were almost write-offs playing the odd game here and there and again performing to a decent level but his body was finished.

Such as shame, good player for us but could have been legendry

Liverpool diagnosed it as gout but it was actually blood poisoning from some blisters he got during the world cup. Liverpool really did him no favors in his treatment between misdiagnosis' and poor decisions.  I think Kewell had  quite a bit of resentment towards them and seemed to be (on the surface) for good reason.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #394 on: May 1, 2015, 10:23:45 am »
My favourite player while he was around :)
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: May 2, 2015, 01:39:23 am »

He inspired (my generation at least) to play and watch the game, he went on to win the PFA young player of the year award in 2000 (to put it into perspective the 99 winner was Anelka and the 01 winner was Gerrard) and when he signed for Liverpool I was ecstatic! I know many a kid my age in Australia that started watching us due to him (having never been old enough to witness Craig Johnson).

Its a shame his injuries hampered his career and we never got to see his full potential; there were flashes now and then but 05/06 was his best for me. 06 FA Cup Semi Final vs Chelsea I felt was his best game for us, midfield of Gerrard - Sissoko - Alonso - Kewell was a treat.

Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: May 2, 2015, 07:57:58 am »
Fucking brilliant footballer, what a coup it was to sign him, shame he was fucked by injuries.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #397 on: July 14, 2015, 04:24:05 am »
http://www.espnfc.com/watford/story/2519794/watford-ask-harry-kewell-to-coach-under-21-squad-sources

Kewell retired last summer from playing football, but has been offered the managerial position for Watford's U-21s
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: July 18, 2015, 11:09:03 pm »
Seeing this thread towards the top has got me thinking. Can't think of any signing that got me as excited at this one at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=628o3iTExiE

Worth skipping to about 1:40 for that Sheff Weds goal. If he'd performed as well here as he had at Leeds in that team from 05-07 we'd probably have had another title...

Offline synthesis

• Main Stander
« Reply #399 on: July 21, 2015, 12:05:33 pm »
That ankle injury he got when he came on at half time to rescue a freaking Carling Cup match against Bolton (why, Houllier, why!) was the point at which he basically became a shell of the player he formerly was. That was around halfway through his first season and he'd been terrific up to that point. When he came back from that injury, he'd lost a huge amount of pace, it was ridiculous. Was still extremely talented with his reduced mobility - I mean, Rafa played him basically always when he was fit, and Rafa never had much room for luxury players - but never again would you see him running at defenders at full hilt. Bit similar to the Torres situation and the 2010 World Cup, honestly.