Author Topic: Liverpool vs Napoli, 11th December 20:00 - Champions League Preview  (Read 30190 times)

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool vs Napoli, 11th December 20:00 - Champions League Preview
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2018, 11:45:12 am »
The defence (Trent, Matip, VVD and Robertson) and front three (usual suspects!) arguably pick themselves but how we set up in midfield will be a sign of whether we're going for an aggressive 17/18 style or a more measured 18/19 performance.

The away match was Keita's worst performance for us and he looked like he didn't know what he was supposed to be doing.  At the time when he went down and got the physio on I thought it was an SOS to Klopp as much as a physical injury!

It would be a big show of faith from Klopp if he started with Keita.  I hope Klopp does though as Keita's been very good since he came back from the hamstring injury and it feels like we will need a progressive midfielder.

Hendo, Wijnaldum and Keita for me.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2018, 11:48:34 am »
Gonna be essential to dictate this game's tempo

So many variables going into this. a 1-0 or a 2 goal winning margin, its really tough. I think we just gotta go for it in the first half and re-assess at half time. Look to batter them into submission a bit and hope that we can then counter well and stay solid at the back

Napoli are no mugs and this will not be easy. Knockout stage has come early for us so this will be a good test.

Looking forward to this
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2018, 11:52:27 am »
So looking forward to it. A string of excellent results, top of the league and form peaking for quite a few in the squad, and a European night with our own fate in our hands.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2018, 12:04:47 pm »
Thanks for the nice write up PIM and happy birthday tomorrow.

This is the type of match that we’ve been  waiting for. Is the squad up to it?

Of course we are good enough to go toe-to-toe with any club in Europe. Our defence is solid and our front three can score at will. On that note I think we will leave Mane out and add an extra midfield player in order to try to control the game.

How will Napoli play? Will they attack or defend? I think this will depend on how the midfield battle goes. If we dominate then I think Napoli will defend deep. If they get a sniff of weakness in midfield then they’ll come at us looking for an early goal. Hence why I think we’ll play with 4 in midfield.

Napoli will be dangerous from set plays so it’s going to be important that we focus and don’t make any mistakes. If we can keep them out then I think our forwards will be too strong.

It’ll be an interesting game but we should have enough to go through.
#JFT97

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2018, 12:19:09 pm »
Alisson
Trent   Matip   VVD   Robbo
Fabinho
Keita Shaqiri
Salah   Bobby   Mane

Tough game of course, Ancelotti will try and make it as hard as possible for us but the reality is they'll need to get out and attack us, especially if we snatch the first goal. Hopefully off the back of Saturday we come out with the same confidence. I think we'll win on the night but as we know not every score is ideal. My heart says 3-1 to the redmen.

Not wanting to go out of course, but, how many people actually believe that if we go into the UEFA cup that our season is categorically ended on the spot and we might as well hand City the title there and then? A lot of people were getting at that after the PSG loss and since then I've been hearing people say it in numbers. Are people aware the competition is an extra 2 games? Hardly ideal like, but far from the end of the world. I hope we win tomorrow, but if we do go out it's not the end of the world, the league is absolutely still to play for and shock horror, another European competition to try and win! We are Liverpool for fucks sake, anything is possible redmen. MAKE US DREAM!!!!!
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2018, 12:21:58 pm »
The defence (Trent, Matip, VVD and Robertson) and front three (usual suspects!) arguably pick themselves but how we set up in midfield will be a sign of whether we're going for an aggressive 17/18 style or a more measured 18/19 performance.

The away match was Keita's worst performance for us and he looked like he didn't know what he was supposed to be doing.  At the time when he went down and got the physio on I thought it was an SOS to Klopp as much as a physical injury!

It would be a big show of faith from Klopp if he started with Keita.  I hope Klopp does though as Keita's been very good since he came back from the hamstring injury and it feels like we will need a progressive midfielder.

Hendo, Wijnaldum and Keita for me.

He went off after 19mins for Gods sake  ???

Hardly a proper chance to assess him?  I mean, there is a chance he could have grown into the game past the 19mins if he stayed on??!!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2018, 12:24:37 pm »

Hardly a proper chance to assess him?  I mean, there is a chance he could have grown into the game past the 19mins if he stayed on??!!
just seeing it now. bad post. his worst game is a 19 minute appearance he was injured in

bloody hell
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2018, 12:27:34 pm »
just seeing it now. bad post. his worst game is a 19 minute appearance he was injured in

bloody hell

We probably should have sold him on that back of that performance to be fair   ;D

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2018, 12:29:25 pm »
We probably should have sold him on that back of that performance to be fair   ;D
dont be silly, the window is closed

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2018, 12:30:35 pm »
We'll be winning a European trophy at the end of the season, tomorrow we find out if it's the CL or the Europa League, will be delighted with either but number 6 preferable obviously.

Offline burriana

• Kopite
  • Oh you beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2018, 12:36:45 pm »
Sturm und Drang please Herr Klopp.

Online LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2018, 12:39:29 pm »
Lets smash these c*nts!

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2018, 12:44:21 pm »

:D  Ok, replace "performance" with "cameo" and, yes, he may well have grown into the game.

Just for the record, I think he's a phenomenal player and alongside Wijnaldum the best of our midfielders.

For that 19 minutes though he gave the ball away repeatedly, gave away a couple of free-kicks in our final third and generally looked a bit lost in the role he was asked to play.  When he was replaced it fell like he was being taken out of his misery - my tinfoil hat leanings make me skeptical about the "back injury" that showed nothing in hospital scans and didn't stop him playing an hour against Man City the following weekend.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2018, 12:58:24 pm »
Not sure what the team will be tomorrow. Big game but's there's another one at the weekend.

Think TAA will slot back in at RB. Suspect Matip will continue alongside VvD.

Think our main 3 forwards will play. And I think Henderson starts in CM.

After that it gets tricky. If you start Shaqiri then I think it'll be Fabinho or Wijnaldum next to him. I can't see Keita playing in a midfield 3 alongside Shaqiri.

If Keita plays in midfield then I think you could probably go with Wijnaldum, Fabinho or Milner alongside him and Henderson.

I personally think it'll be Henderson, Wijnaldum and Keita. With Shaqiri on the bench. Having impact subs late in the game might be massive tomorrow evening.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2018, 01:02:38 pm »
So what are you saying that he just didn’t fancy it? Not nice gossip is it

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2018, 01:03:42 pm »
MUST WIN!!!!!!

Offline ldsn

• Kopite
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2018, 01:16:15 pm »
Any talk of a coach welcome tomorrow?

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2018, 01:17:59 pm »
It's gonna be a great game! Enjoy the evening and make the most of it. We'll go through.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2018, 01:26:11 pm »
These are the games that it is all about. Cannot wait.

They are clearly a very good side, but we are just starting to really move up through the gears. Part of me wants lots of early goals with us 3-0 up at half time, yet there is something about the magic of nicking it in the dying seconds and everyone going mental ala Olypiakos, St Ettiene etc etc. When everything is on the line and we all know precisely what is needed. Anfield will be rocking.

Let's fucking do this

"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2018, 01:39:40 pm »
I'd bring Lovren back in for Matip probably, though Matip has done well.

The forwards speak for themselves. In Midfield I'd go Hendo, Gini and Keita as the poster at top of the page says.

Depending on how we're looking and who might be feeling it I'd look to bring Fabinho, Milner, Shaq and possibly sturridge in against united.

it's a huge game this. It takes a lot mentally and emotionally a game of this size so rotation for the weekend is likely to be an important consideration. I get people would want us to go far in the europa but that's statistically unlikely to be something we can do while maintaining form in the league. We need to go through here. Plus after the fucking shambles in the final last year the footballing gods owe us one. Up the reds.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2018, 01:43:54 pm »
I hope we batter them. I think its pretty clear nobody in Europe would want Napoli going through with their fans.

As for the game, its going to be very, very tough. They are a very strong side and should have battered PSG. Having to win was never going to be easy and if they score, then beating them by 2 clear goals will be incredibly tough.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2018, 01:51:21 pm »

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2018, 02:01:36 pm »
Quite hard to say that they are a "just above decent" side. They moved six points clear in 2nd place of Serie A after a 4-0 win over Frosinone...
Plus most of them are going to be fresh as Ancelotti picked a heavily rotated side in that game, I believe with one eye on our match already.

But what not to be confident? We are keeping pace with Man City in not even half a season gone, hell - we even lead the League!  :)  :)
Since the start of 2017-18, only Lionel Messi has more league goals in the top-five European divisions, compared to Salah.

We'll win. My dream line-up for this game, and I really hope for it.

---- Alexander-Arnold ---- Virgil van Dijk ---- Joel Matip ----

---- ---- ---- ---- ---- Jordan Henderson ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

Xherdan Shaqiri ---- ---- Naby Keita ---- Fabinho ---- ----

---- ---- ---- Salah ---- Firmino / Sturridge ---- ----

---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- <<---- <<---- Sadio Mane ---->>

It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2018, 02:04:24 pm »
Quite hard to say that they are a "just above decent" side. They moved six points clear in 2nd place of Serie A after a 4-0 win over Frosinone...
Plus most of them are going to be fresh as Ancelotti picked a heavily rotated side in that game, I believe with one eye on our match already.

But what not to be confident? We are keeping pace with Man City in not even half a season gone, hell - we even lead the League!  :)  :)
Since the start of 2017-18, only Lionel Messi has more league goals in the top-five European divisions, compared to Salah.

We'll win. My dream line-up for this game, and I really hope for it.

Have to agree mate......Robbo's been shite this season  ;)

I think we can safely say we're not going to quite see your dream line up tomorrow night  ;D

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2018, 02:06:23 pm »
I'd bring Lovren back in for Matip probably, though Matip has done well.

The forwards speak for themselves. In Midfield I'd go Hendo, Gini and Keita as the poster at top of the page says.

Depending on how we're looking and who might be feeling it I'd look to bring Fabinho, Milner, Shaq and possibly sturridge in against united.

it's a huge game this. It takes a lot mentally and emotionally a game of this size so rotation for the weekend is likely to be an important consideration. I get people would want us to go far in the europa but that's statistically unlikely to be something we can do while maintaining form in the league. We need to go through here. Plus after the fucking shambles in the final last year the footballing gods owe us one. Up the reds.

Lovren still out

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2018, 02:07:22 pm »
Have to agree mate......Robbo's been shite this season  ;)

I think we can safely say we're not going to quite see your dream line up tomorrow night  ;D
more like a nightmare line up

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2018, 02:08:26 pm »
Press them from the start, 7-0 to us.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2018, 02:10:51 pm »
Any talk of a coach welcome tomorrow?

Checked spion kop and there's nothing on that  ???

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2018, 02:11:47 pm »
For that 19 minutes though he gave the ball away repeatedly, gave away a couple of free-kicks in our final third and generally looked a bit lost in the role he was asked to play.  When he was replaced it fell like he was being taken out of his misery - my tinfoil hat leanings make me skeptical about the "back injury" that showed nothing in hospital scans and didn't stop him playing an hour against Man City the following weekend

He didn't start in the match [against city, he came on as a sub]. Klopp doesn't make radical changes in a game that early, the only time he's ever done that is with Lovren against Spurs.

So keep the tinfoil hat elsewhere.

You're judging the lad based on 19 minutes in a game from two months ago in which most of our players played below their standard.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2018, 02:12:22 pm »
Lovren still out

“Sadio can deal with the pain obviously – it looked like that in Bournemouth, so that’s cool. It’s good enough that we can consider him at least,” the manager said.

“We have two sessions still to come – we’ll train tomorrow morning as well. That’s very important. We have the meeting to do. In the squad there is nothing really serious after the game, that’s good.

“We will see how Dejan is doing. Yesterday he was out on the pitch and looked quite well. Can he be part of training today or not? We will see that. Squad-wise, [there is] no bad news at least.

“[Adam] looked fine. Nobody told me differently. He was running yesterday.”

Offline ldsn

• Kopite
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2018, 02:14:57 pm »
Checked spion kop and there's nothing on that  ???

Ah, cheers

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2018, 02:17:17 pm »
“Sadio can deal with the pain obviously – it looked like that in Bournemouth, so that’s cool. It’s good enough that we can consider him at least,” the manager said.

“We have two sessions still to come – we’ll train tomorrow morning as well. That’s very important. We have the meeting to do. In the squad there is nothing really serious after the game, that’s good.

“We will see how Dejan is doing. Yesterday he was out on the pitch and looked quite well. Can he be part of training today or not? We will see that. Squad-wise, [there is] no bad news at least.

“[Adam] looked fine. Nobody told me differently. He was running yesterday.”

Thanks, completely forgot the presser was today. Saw something this morning that said Lovren and Lallana will miss the game.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2018, 02:23:50 pm »

My dream line-up for this game, and I really hope for it.

We'll defo pick 11 players and 1 of them will be a GK. Not sure why you want us to go to 3 at the back as well. And dropping Robertson seems a bit harsh.

What's Mane's position in this as well? Maybe that's a formatting error.

On the whole I've got to say I'm not hopeful, but thankful, that this team and formation will be starting the game against Napoli.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2018, 02:35:22 pm »
We'll defo pick 11 players and 1 of them will be a GK. Not sure why you want us to go to 3 at the back as well. And dropping Robertson seems a bit harsh.

What's Mane's position in this as well? Maybe that's a formatting error.

On the whole I've got to say I'm not hopeful, but thankful, that this team and formation will be starting the game against Napoli.

Do you mean not starting?
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2018, 02:43:03 pm »
Two European cup finals in one year!!.....I can take going out the CL cos we were poor in away games...but dropping into EL is a different thing and more so with potential negative implications ( fixtures etc)...plus the finals in fucking Baku!.

We have the abilty to do this...hopefully the goals will flow!

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2018, 02:53:20 pm »
Usual tactics. Get the opposing team out of their comfort zone. Remind them who they're playing long before they even get to the stadium, then go at them from the first to the final whistle.
When that first goal goes in, it doesn't matter who the opposition are, how calm they try to play it, or how well drilled they are defensively. They always shit themselves, always.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2018, 03:14:02 pm »
Usual tactics. Get the opposing team out of their comfort zone. Remind them who they're playing long before they even get to the stadium, then go at them from the first to the final whistle.
When that first goal goes in, it doesn't matter who the opposition are, how calm they try to play it, or how well drilled they are defensively. They always shit themselves, always.

Keeper should have had that, shite.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2018, 03:15:23 pm »

I would be happy to be 5-0 up by 70 minutes like against Roma last season! Think we can play at a tempo not many sides in Europe can live with when we absolutely need to and we seem to be hitting top form now- get straight into them and they will fold.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2018, 03:18:05 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Think we will see TAA back to replace Milner as only change in back 5. Front 3 as usual and I think a midfield start of Hendo, Wijnaldum and Keita with Shaquiri and Milner avaialble to come off the bench and be avaialble to start against the Mancs on Sunday with Fabinho.
Think they will try to play horrible and I hope the ref is on their case for sneaky tackles, time wasting etc. Would not be surprised if we get a penalty or if they go down to ten.
Another opportunity to re-write the Anfield history books.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2018, 03:51:49 pm »
Bricking it as we speak out of excitement and anxiety, come on Reds you can do this!