FlashGordon
7 (12.7%)
JSteve
9 (16.4%)
GerryAttrick
4 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: April 3, 2019, 10:05:29 am

Author Topic: The Decisions, Decisions Draft - Derby Day Edition - Group Phase - Matchday 2 v2  (Read 1281 times)

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
Welcome to RAWK's Derby Day draft. Each drafter was tasked with building a team in their own image by picking their choice of players to have played in some of football's most fiercely contested derby matches.

Please judge the following matches on which team you believe would be best equipped to win over a 90 minute game of football, rather than on individuals -

____________________________________________Group A________________________________________________

Lastrador                                                   V                                             SheerMagnetism

____________________________________________Group B________________________________________________

Defacto                                                       V                                                         Tubby

____________________________________________Group C________________________________________________

Trend                                                       V                                               FlashGordon

____________________________________________Group D________________________________________________

JSteve                                                        V                                              GerryAttrick

"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Again there are some incredibly tight battles in this. The winners for me are tipped over the edge by who wins the midfield battle if not defensive quality.

Maradona v Baresi, Gerrard v Souness, van Basten v van Dijk, Keane v Modric - so many interesting matchups.

That first game could be a final in a draft. FlashGordon's attack is frightening but Trend defence is solid. A classic unstoppable force vs immovable object.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Gordon is lucky that he has maradona and Henry to offset the Ramos debacle :D

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
Gordon is lucky that he has maradona and Henry to offset the Ramos debacle :D

Haha..

Not to mention that 4-2-4 against my midfield diamond with pace and mobility means they are attacking me with mostly 4 or 5 players and that we would dominate the midfield.

Albeit, the top 4 are world class... but they have to have possession to be effective. 

Here's how I rate it (biased I know but not wrong)

1.  Back Four Trend - by a country mile
2.  Midfield Trend - mobile midfield diamond versus a flat 2
3.  Top of the Pitch Flash - Henry-Maradona-Barnes fantastic and Johnstone no slouch either

Love me some Alisson - but over the entire career Pagliuca takes a backseat to only a few

***  How I am down 5-2 I do not know (maybe someone can explain) - Emerson as a holding midfielder may not be getting the respect or maybe people do not rate Rakitic and Tevez ball winning and possession talents.  I don't know.

And lastly, its not like Eto'o and Batistuta are slags here - just a step below Flash's top 4....

Okay, I got it out of my system.  Let the winds take it where it supposed to go (the ether, the toilet or the finals)
« Last Edit: April 2, 2019, 02:51:34 pm by The Piss-artist Formerly Known As Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Haha..

Not to mention that 4-2-4 against my midfield diamond with pace and mobility means they are attacking me with mostly 4 or 5 players and that we would dominate the midfield.

Albeit, the top 4 are world class... but they have to have possession to be effective. 

Here's how I rate it (biased I know but not wrong)

1.  Back Four Trend - by a country mile
2.  Midfield Trend - mobile midfield diamond versus a flat 2
3.  Top of the Pitch Flash - Henry-Maradona-Barnes fantastic and Johnstone no slouch either

Love me some Alisson - but over the entire career Pagliuca takes a backseat to only a few

***  How I am down 5-2 I do not know (maybe someone can explain) - Emerson as a holding midfielder may not be getting the respect or maybe people do not rate Rakitic and Tevez ball winning and possession talents.  I don't know.

And lastly, its not like Eto'o and Batistuta are slags here - just a step below Flash's top 4....

Okay, I got it out of my system.  Let the winds take it where it supposed to go (the ether, the toilet or the finals)

Agreed with a lot of what you're saying there. I actually voted for you in the end, but it took a lot of back and forth debate in my mind.

I see your side dominating possession no doubt. Similar to a City or Barca side camped in the opponents half. Most of your best attacking opportunity would come through the triangle of Carlos Alberto, Tevez and Batistuta when you're pushed up the pitch, eventually laying it on for Eto'o. There would be a lot of last ditch and disciplined defending from Ramos, Campbell, Simeone and Stankovic.

Where I see your vulnerability is in those attacking full backs areas facing that front four on the counter. The pace of a prime Henry, Barnes and Johnstone is outstanding especially when they've got Maradona in the playmaking role in support.

Your primary hope for stopping the counter is for the likes of Tevez and Emerson to pounce on lost balls and win possession back quickly. But Maradona is bound to wriggle out of such attempts at points throughout the game. Your secondary hope for stopping this counter lie in two incredible centre backs who, as van Dijk showed the other day, can make scoring on those counters very difficult. However, with that attacking four baring down, potentially out-numbering your defence 4 v 3 or 4 v 2, even defenders of that quality would struggle to keep them out.

I think the first goal is all important in this game. If Flash can get one on the counter early and sit back even more resolutely then they can potentially get a second late on seeing off the game. If the pressure of the possession pays off and you get the early goal, then he'd have to come out a bit more leaving more gaps for you to exploit when you win back the ball with your dominant the midfield.

It is by no means clear cut. With an early goal you could go on to win by 4 or 5, but with their attacking threat and defensive solidity (he's still got an excellent back 6), you could easily see him frustrating you and picking you off on the counter as your full backs commit further and further forward, as the game goes on.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Agreed with a lot of what you're saying there. I actually voted for you in the end, but it took a lot of back and forth debate in my mind.

I see your side dominating possession no doubt. Similar to a City or Barca side camped in the opponents half. Most of your best attacking opportunity would come through the triangle of Carlos Alberto, Tevez and Batistuta when you're pushed up the pitch, eventually laying it on for Eto'o. There would be a lot of last ditch and disciplined defending from Ramos, Campbell, Simeone and Stankovic.

Where I see your vulnerability is in those attacking full backs areas facing that front four on the counter. The pace of a prime Henry, Barnes and Johnstone is outstanding especially when they've got Maradona in the playmaking role in support.

Your primary hope for stopping the counter is for the likes of Tevez and Emerson to pounce on lost balls and win possession back quickly. But Maradona is bound to wriggle out of such attempts at points throughout the game. Your secondary hope for stopping this counter lie in two incredible centre backs who, as van Dijk showed the other day, can make scoring on those counters very difficult. However, with that attacking four baring down, potentially out-numbering your defence 4 v 3 or 4 v 2, even defenders of that quality would struggle to keep them out.

I think the first goal is all important in this game. If Flash can get one on the counter early and sit back even more resolutely then they can potentially get a second late on seeing off the game. If the pressure of the possession pays off and you get the early goal, then he'd have to come out a bit more leaving more gaps for you to exploit when you win back the ball with your dominant the midfield.

It is by no means clear cut. With an early goal you could go on to win by 4 or 5, but with their attacking threat and defensive solidity (he's still got an excellent back 6), you could easily see him frustrating you and picking you off on the counter as your full backs commit further and further forward, as the game goes on.

As usual, you are Jedi!  Agree with every word. 

Not clear cut either way --- cheers to Flash for constructing a fantastic team as well. 
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Don't give Gordon too much credit he did select Ramos :D

Come on you lot, vote ! :D

• Legacy Fan
Not sure how Tubby's back four can keep out my front two, or Gerrard and Falcao from scoring. Sanchez and Romario would have Jarni and Hummels on toast.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Not sure how Tubby's back four can keep out my front two, or Gerrard and Falcao from scoring. Sanchez and Romario would have Jarni and Hummels on toast.

DeFacto, my take on this is

1.  If you had played a front three against his team - 4-3-3 (triangle midfield)
           --- you would occupy Jarni and McGrain and the striker could occupy the gap between Hummels-Santa
          ----  Rui Costa, Gerrard and Falcao would dominate the center of the park split and expose the cover Davids and Souness
           ---  Force Riquelme into working back -- something he does not like to do at all (even in deep lying roles)

2.  Instead I think Tubby does this to you -- occupies your back with marking responsibilities and having Ronaldo in the middle occupying your CB's --- hard to say but the numbers in midfield then favor Tubby after some time of DeFacto's team defending as the counter is less likely as Silva will have a lot of work on this hands besides playing out of the back.  Of course Gerrard and Falcoa can help, but then your team shape suffers or you take longer in building an attack --- both of which does not expose the weakness of Tubby's formation (the box between his CB's and his two flat midfielders (Souness and Davids).  One pass beats both of them and the space in front of CB's is where you would find the most joy.

Like Mikey said, its not clear cut at all, and I do like your team --- but some match-ups and the formations make it seem like one team would have an advantage. 

How you get penetration against a back four and triangle midfield with a Riquelme in attack mid - needs to address the weaknesses of the worst players in Tubby's system. 

FWIW --- 
« Last Edit: April 2, 2019, 04:59:47 pm by The Piss-artist Formerly Known As Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan

Not just the back four though. It’s a back four supported by Souness and Davids.

Those two are key for Tubby as they’re both great defensive mids who can control possession and add a lot to his attacking game. His right side is fantastic with that diamond of Souness, Figo, Riquelme and a Ronaldo.

It would be a very close game no doubt. Hard to call.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Don't even care about the rest of the team wanted Barnes, Henry and Maradona together, think they'd create some of the best goals ever scored. Rest of the side is functional with a bit of a snide streak in it. Sort of like a hybrid of cholo-ball and Barca's front three of Messi Suarez Neymar.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

• Legacy Fan
Cheers for that Trend, the formation can be a 4-2-2-2, with Gerrard and Silva as the two center mids, with Falcao and Costa operating further up or it can be adjusted to a 4-3-1-2, in any case I think my midfield can overwhelm his

• Legacy Fan
Not just the back four though. It’s a back four supported by Souness and Davids.

Those two are key for Tubby as they’re both great defensive mids who can control possession and add a lot to his attacking game. His right side is fantastic with that diamond of Souness, Figo, Riquelme and a Ronaldo.

It would be a very close game no doubt. Hard to call.

This is true, at the same time, I believe that Riquelme's defensive liability would be an issue for his midfled, against mine, but not only that the ability and the pace that both Cole and Piszchek have would be an issue for them down the flanks.

In any case I think my midfield offers a lot of flexibility tactically and technically and can be very interchangeable

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Cheers for that Trend, the formation can be a 4-2-2-2, with Gerrard and Silva as the two center mids, with Falcao and Costa operating further up or it can be adjusted to a 4-3-1-2, in any case I think my midfield can overwhelm his

Agreed mate.  Unfortunately, our game does not allow for much nuanced in-game management switches (more of a snapshot and usually the best attacking unit is compared to the defensive set up) as the major form of analysis.   Midfield depth and balance as Mikey says is a kicker.

We're in the same boat.  Hope it floats :)

Btw, cheers to Flash.  I like his front four, very attractive.

But there 6 lads in this thread that voted for SERGIO RAMOS.... A pox on those houses for such heresy :)
That used to be enough to get no votes and a slaggle of twat posts.  I guess we have short "mammary" glands.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2019, 05:16:42 pm by The Piss-artist Formerly Known As Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Wow, lot of close games there.

• Legacy Fan
Wow, lot of close games there.

Extremely, good match ups, poor Gerry though  ;D