Author Topic: PL: Fulham 2 v Liverpool 2 Mitrovich 33' 72' (p) Darwin 64' Salah 81'  (Read 34931 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"

Officials
Referee: Andy Madley
Assistants: Dan Cook, Derek Eaton
Fourth official: Tony Harrington
VAR: Stuart Attwell  Assistant VAR: Gary Beswick

It's my privilege to kick-off the first pre-match thread of the 2022/2023 campaign. Congratulations for winning the first trophy of the year and let's have an ever better season than the last one. I'd like to see us win the league again this year but to do so, we will need to stop drawing so many games.

Our first game of this season is away in London at Craven Cottage. The ground holds about 25,700 (Wikipedia says 22,384) which is, I think, the third smallest this season. There is some work being done that will take it up to 29,600 but this won't be finished until next season which probably means that the capacity for this season will be under 20,000 (anyone have an update on this?). Above is an artist's impression of what the ground will look like.

I looked up their season ticket prices and new prices range from £460 to over £1,000. The top end seems a lot of money to pay for a yo-yo team. They were in the top division two seasons ago and dropped down to the Championship last season but bounced back winning the league.

Their top rated players are probably Palhinha, Mitrović, Solomon, Pereira and of course, Harry Wilson. A decent first team but nothing to worry us when we are in top form.

Their squad is valued at about £160M against our £780M; that's quite an imbalance and reflects how much better our squad is. I guess their aim is to try to avoid relegation and then to slowly build. The great danger for them would be to over-spend and get into financial problems.

My assessment is that they haven't improved from last year and I expect them to be in and around the relegation places again. One of the threads on one of their forums is about how many points they will need to stay up so they aren't that confident either.

Everyone should know that we have brought in Núñez, Carvalho and Ramsey and that Carvalho was bought from Fulham (does that mean that he won't be playing?).

We have sold Mane, Williams, Minamino, Grujic and the legend who is Origi.

Mane was one of my favourite players and I was sad to see him leave. However Nüñez and Carvalho are two exciting players who I'm looking forward to seeing.
Diaz and, of course, Salah are going to continue where they left off last season.

On the injury front, we have Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jota with ongoing injuries. Alisson, Kelleher, Tsimikas and Ramsay all had knocks and therefore haven't had any recent matches. Konate may have picked up a minor knock yesterday. Hopefully most or all of these injuries will have cleared up by the weekend although Ox and, maybe, Jota are the main doubts. It's nice to see Harvey Elliott back in contention.

Fulham tend to be a passing team with a lot of possession and their formation is 4-2-3-1. However I don't expect them to have much of the ball against us and the difference in class should tell. Upsets do happen but I don't see anything other than a comfortable win for us. However, a couple of seasons ago, they drew with us at Craven Cottage and beat us 1-0 at Anfield. We do tend to have a slight weakness against some of the teams that we expect to beat and do draw too often when we should win. As I said, that is something we need to restrict to a minimum if we are going to challenge for the league. We will need to treat this game seriously (I have no doubt that we will) as Fulham will be fighting for every point.

Although our pre-season was a bit mixed, Salah, Thiago, Diaz, Firmino and Nunez all looked sharp. We did look pretty good against City and deserved to win.

Starting lineup?

Alisson
TAA.  Matip   VVD   Robertson
  Henderson Fabinho Thiago
   Diaz  Firmino  Salah

Subs to play: Keita, Nunez, Elliott + 2 more
I think we'll win 4-0.

I'm going to cut this pre-match post short as I know we are all ready to talk about the coming season. Sorry I had planned to put more content into this post but I reckon that keeping it short would be better.

So over to you guys to talk about the game and the season ahead.

Football is back and so is this guy....

PS: We have another game against Aston Villa on Sunday (yes the next day) just to give some of the players some game time.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2022, 02:10:25 pm by Rush 82 »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Fulham v Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: August 6, 2022, 11:34:22 am »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 6, 2022, 11:35:05 am »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 6, 2022, 12:26:23 pm »
Players are coming out.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #4 on: August 6, 2022, 12:26:59 pm »
Alisson looks most fetching in mauve...or is it lilac?

Beglin and Proudfoot commentating on my feed.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2022, 12:37:40 pm by Rush 82 »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 6, 2022, 12:31:02 pm »
0 The players all took the knee and the game is underway.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 6, 2022, 12:31:52 pm »
1 Fulham make an attacking start and Mitrovic fires wide of the goal.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 6, 2022, 12:32:57 pm »
Fulham start brightly. Liverpool weather the flurry and start to settle into their normal pattern. No penetrative runs by the reds in the first 2 minutes.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 6, 2022, 12:33:52 pm »
2 We haven't really got going in the early minutes another attacking position for Fulham, although the flag goes up.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 6, 2022, 12:35:15 pm »
4 Fulham have pushed up quite a bit, making if difficult for us to break out with any tempo.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 6, 2022, 12:36:44 pm »
5 The game is being played in our half, Fulham have started bravely and we are struggling to make our passes work. Only early stages though.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 6, 2022, 12:38:16 pm »
6 We briefly had a chance there, but Thiago for once hits the ball far too long and it goes out. There was a lot of space on the right there though.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 6, 2022, 12:39:45 pm »
8 They are getting in good positions down our right constantly at the moment, Mitrovic very impressive in the early stages. It's hard for us at the moment as we can't win any second balls.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 6, 2022, 12:40:51 pm »
Threaded passes just not getting through at the moment.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 6, 2022, 12:41:35 pm »
10 We are still misfiring at the moment, as when we get the ball our passing has not begun smoothly and Fulham are so close to our players we have no time.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 6, 2022, 12:42:30 pm »
We've been really sloppy with our passing in the first 7min, just not as sharp and controlled as we should be,

Agree. Can only get better

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 6, 2022, 12:43:04 pm »
11 The refereeing continues incredibly badly, our players is knocked over but the ref ignores it as Fulham move forward again.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 6, 2022, 12:44:03 pm »
Agree. Can only get better

Fulham have to have some credit though, as they are not giving us any time on the ball. The thing is though they can't do that for ninety minutes.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 6, 2022, 12:44:40 pm »
11 The refereeing continues incredibly badly, our players is knocked over but the ref ignores it as Fulham move forward again.
Par for the course then.

Bit odd to see most the game so far played in our half.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 6, 2022, 12:45:40 pm »
14 First time we got moving there a great move ending with Diaz putting the ball in the net, the linesman has his flag up though. But much better by us.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 6, 2022, 12:46:25 pm »
Lovely practice finish there by Diaz but Robbo was miles offside in the buildup.

Reds suddenly look more switched on as Sarah darts down the right soon after.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 6, 2022, 12:47:05 pm »
That's a horrid tackle on Diaz!!!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 6, 2022, 12:47:13 pm »
16 A nasty tackle on Diaz which the referee ignores, but we are starting to find some rhythm.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 6, 2022, 12:48:27 pm »
16 A nasty tackle on Diaz which the referee ignores, but we are starting to find some rhythm.
He called the player back and gave him a Yellow to be fair.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 6, 2022, 12:49:14 pm »
18 Good to see the game being played in Fulham's half at the moment. We just have to get the final ball right.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 6, 2022, 12:49:36 pm »
He called the player back and gave him a Yellow to be fair.

Yes, I've just seen that.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 6, 2022, 12:49:47 pm »
Past 5 minutes have looked more 'normal' with the reds playing football in the Fulham final third.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 6, 2022, 12:51:40 pm »
20 Fulham still having their share of pressure, but we are at least getting our share of the second balls now, we just need to keep our concentration.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 6, 2022, 12:52:55 pm »
21 Some great play from Henderson there, had two players snapping at his heels but he still manages to pass the ball out wide. Trent puts a good cross in but Salah can only head over the bar.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 6, 2022, 12:54:33 pm »
22 More danger from Fulham with a smartly taken free kick which kind of fools us, and ends up with a corner for them after Palhinha's shot is deflected off Matip.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 6, 2022, 12:54:37 pm »
Oh my! That was rather exciting - two good moves, one from the left the other from the right. First one was Robbo sending the ball across the goalmouth but intercepted before it could get to Sarah.

The second attempt was from the other side and Salah heads it over - might have been better to leave it to Hendo who was in a better position.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 6, 2022, 12:56:23 pm »
24 It's challenging at the moment getting the ball through all the Fulham bodies, they are just getting people in the way of our passes. They cannot keep it up forever though, we just need to be patient.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 6, 2022, 12:57:30 pm »
Passes still not accurate enough.

Fulham perfecting the fine art of falling over rather easily, riling the crowd but the ref is unimpressed.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 6, 2022, 12:58:30 pm »
26 We get a free kick for a foul on Diaz, Fulham players being lectured. It goes in is cleared and then comes back to Fab who shoots off a Fulham boot.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2022, 12:59:35 pm by Rush 82 »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 6, 2022, 12:59:37 pm »
28 The corner was cleared, Fulham do a Liverpool and the goalie bowls out long and they get a corner. Corner cleared.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 6, 2022, 01:01:41 pm »
30 Our defence is not good at the moment, although it was a foul on Van Dijk which wasn't given. But Fulham put a shot across our box and it goes out for a corner.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 6, 2022, 01:03:14 pm »
32 Fulham have scored, although the game should have been stopped after Hendo had his ankle stepped on. Mitrovic has scored.

1-0
« Last Edit: August 6, 2022, 01:05:41 pm by Rush 82 »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Fulham 1 v Liverpool 0 Mitrovich 33'
« Reply #37 on: August 6, 2022, 01:06:00 pm »
34 Fulham have another chance and at the moment they are the ones asking the questions, we really haven't begun.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 6, 2022, 01:06:59 pm »
32 Fulham have scored, although the game should have been stopped after Hendo had his ankle stepped on. Mitrovic has scored.

1-0
Yeah, Madley should have blown for the foul on Hendo. That said, our defending wasn't great - that was a pretty regulation cross.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Fulham 1 v Liverpool 0 Mitrovich 33'
« Reply #39 on: August 6, 2022, 01:07:46 pm »
36 That's better a great switch over ball from Trent and Robbo puts in a super cross which narrowly misses Diaz's foot. The first time one of our cross field balls have worked though.