Author Topic: The Tablet Computing Thread  (Read 360590 times)

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Apple iPad.... awful name awful product
« Reply #280 on: January 27, 2010, 08:11:26 pm »
:D It's a goodlooking piece of kit, sure. I'll probably pick one up eventually, but on first impressions it's limited to poncing around Starbucks or similar.

Pretty much the same with any of Apple's recent products. Just get the third or fourth generation.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #282 on: January 27, 2010, 08:15:21 pm »
It goes very nicely with the black turtle neck, I think.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: January 27, 2010, 08:19:22 pm »
i'm reserving final judgement until i see it in action but i can say with 100% certainty that my final judgement will declare it

fucking shite 

;D

nah, seriosuly i can see a use for it for many things, just nothing i'd want it for

therefore, fucking shite
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #284 on: January 27, 2010, 08:20:03 pm »
Like I said - it's a consumer product not a computer. I'll judge it by the approprate criteria.     

But... Apple told me this was a magical and revolutionary device. You make it sound like a vacuum cleaner. Say it ain't so.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: January 27, 2010, 08:20:53 pm »
i'm reserving final judgement until i see it in action but i can say with 100% certainty that my final judgement will declare it

fucking shite 

;D

nah, seriosuly i can see a use for it for many things, just nothing i'd want it for

therefore, fucking shite

How many units you got on preorder from the States?
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: January 27, 2010, 08:22:47 pm »
Not at all mate. It's for normal people not for Techies. It may surprise some in this thread but most people don't know or care what version of OS their phone has or what processor.

Like I said - it's a consumer product not a computer. I'll judge it by the approprate criteria.     

I still think most would want converged phone functionality, it drastically reduces its value. I don't want to carry an iPhone and an iPad around with me. So are they saying actually, don't carry it around with me that much, use it as a lifestyle product? Reduced value.

Having said that. Can this product replace my laptop? I tried with a netbook, but running a full blown OS, horrible physically cramped keyboard and poor battery life wasn't so good. But a device designed for portability with what appears to be a well laid out soft keyboard, and not a full blown OS so the experience is actually good and long lasting - all be it not in multi tasking sense. Could I get on with it? Perhaps.

But, it's still a kick in the dick thinking why they chose to omit pairing a bluetooth ear piece and use it as a phone/speakerphone. Apart from the one obvious version two revenue stream. I might get one, but it may also be on eBay quickly.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: January 27, 2010, 08:27:40 pm »
I can see a use for it while lazing around on the sofa or in bed, but it can't replace the iphone or a laptop, so is a bit pointless. This is more likley to be Apple TV 2 than iphone 2. But I wouldn't mind one for half what they're charging.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: January 27, 2010, 08:39:34 pm »
they didn't allow flash on it because it doesn't have any fans
STFU and agree with me.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #289 on: January 27, 2010, 08:41:13 pm »
they should have just made a Mac television with wireless touchscreen
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: January 27, 2010, 08:44:27 pm »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: January 27, 2010, 08:45:14 pm »
On another note, isn;t the point of e-readers that the screen isn't back lit so you  can comfortably read for extended periods?

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: January 27, 2010, 08:51:42 pm »
Is it true it only runs one app at a time? Deal lord  :no

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #293 on: January 27, 2010, 08:56:47 pm »
Hands on first impressions review.

http://gizmodo.com/5457757/apple-ipad-first-hands-on

I know I shouldn't be taken in by this, but I really really want one.

Looks lightening...wondering what it'd be like when it's bloated with software, but looks crisp in that vid.

Interface looks great, yet familar like they say. The small icons make it look a bit 'LG' but, minor.
JFT97

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: January 27, 2010, 08:56:56 pm »
You got to hand it to Apple.

Everyone has spent years trying to make things smaller.

They then take an iPhone, which is pretty good all told, and make it a lot bigger. But wait, they remove the phone and camera functionality and decide to charge to use it in pretty much any way! Bollocks.

Can't see the point in it. With at most 64GB storage it won't cover a lot of people for music/photos alone, forgetting that you then want to add apps and other bits.

With laptops so small nowadays I don't get it. It doesn't do anything well enough to justify the expense, especially if you already have a laptop and 'smart phone'.

Completely underwhelmed by it, and I was actually looking forward to it.
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: January 27, 2010, 08:59:29 pm »
it will likely be like iphone os, mail will run in the background but that's about it

the os looks nice, gimmicks a plenty
STFU and agree with me.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #296 on: January 27, 2010, 09:00:41 pm »
This is so people can read iChing (according to Steve Jobs) on the go.

In all seriousness, I was always surprised Apple didn't try to get onboard with NPfIT and the NHS. Consultants and doctors gobble this marketing shite down - strange how the marketing machine ensnares the more 'respected and educated' of society. The middle class plaything ;)

However, stuff like this would be real good for doctors at patients bedsides and integrating electronic patient data. As most of them run on back end UNIX/AIX systems, the front end could have been sellable by Apple and I think it would have been a success.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: January 27, 2010, 09:09:43 pm »
I still think most would want converged phone functionality, it drastically reduces its value. I don't want to carry an iPhone and an iPad around with me. So are they saying actually, don't carry it around with me that much, use it as a lifestyle product? Reduced value.

But, it's still a kick in the dick thinking why they chose to omit pairing a bluetooth ear piece and use it as a phone/speakerphone. Apart from the one obvious version two revenue stream. I might get one, but it may also be on eBay quickly.

Typical Apple: they like to clearly segment their products, even if it means castrating one of them.

It looks like a bigger, uglier iPhone that doesn't do calls or fit in your pocket. Not impressed, to be honest.

Having said that. Can this product replace my laptop? I tried with a netbook, but running a full blown OS, horrible physically cramped keyboard and poor battery life wasn't so good. But a device designed for portability with what appears to be a well laid out soft keyboard, and not a full blown OS so the experience is actually good and long lasting - all be it not in multi tasking sense. Could I get on with it? Perhaps.

I had an early netbook, a 9" Acer Aspire One, and it had a cramped keyboard and a shit battery, but I bought the new Asus Eeepc 1005PE, and it's in an entirely different class. It has a 10" screen, so it's a shade larger, but that makes a world of difference with the keyboard. It's still cramped by the arrows, like any notebook, but you can quite easily touch-type on it, or at least I can, whereas I couldn't with the 9" Acer. Perhaps you have fingers like sausages, though.

The battery life is fantastic under Windows 7: about 9 hours. Unfortunately, you only get 4-5 hours under Ubuntu, which is what I run on it. The Netbook Remix version works pretty damn well, and it recognised all the hardware right away.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: January 27, 2010, 09:12:31 pm »
Cheers for the heads up Wacko, might have a look at that Asus.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: January 27, 2010, 09:24:15 pm »
Hmm... looks very shiny, but don't think I'll be bothering.

royhendo

« Reply #300 on: January 27, 2010, 09:25:26 pm »
It would be like buying a sign to hang round your neck saying "mug me".

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #301 on: January 27, 2010, 09:38:36 pm »
No webcam built in is pretty poor (but as others have said it's probably in the next version).

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: January 27, 2010, 09:39:30 pm »
Cheers for the heads up Wacko, might have a look at that Asus.

You really should. It's really a small, proper computer. Couldn't find it in any shops round here, though: I had to order it from Amazon.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #303 on: January 27, 2010, 09:41:57 pm »

I don't know. I would still want my phone with me at all times so not sure why I would want this to have phone capability as well. Looking at it in more detail I can quite easily see myself getting one. I thought about a netbook for a while but they are all utter shite - compromised performance, too cramped and just silly little underpowered computers.

For my needs one of these would be perfect. I have a desktop at work for high level stuff (CAD, 3d modeling and rendering etc) that I will always have. What I really need is something small that allows me to deal with emails, write proposals, assemble presentations etc. I could also use it for presentations - it has video out as well. For £400 or so and the ability to read books, watch movies at a decent size etc...

It will run Quick Office (about £10) which I already have so most Word/Excel/Powerpoint stuff is catered for.

Definitely a possibility instead of my next laptop. Why?... because most of the time when I'm out of the office I don't actually want to carry around a fully specced computer on the off-chance I need to issue a drawing.

I trained as an industrial designer before going into architecture and one of the best lessons we had was the story of the Walkman. When Akio Morita asked for a tape recorder that didn't record everyone thought he was crazy. When Apple first released a computer without a floppy disk they were laughed at because no-one could envisage how files would be transferred without one...

and so on...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: January 27, 2010, 10:05:05 pm »
I don't know. I would still want my phone with me at all times so not sure why I would want this to have phone capability as well. Looking at it in more detail I can quite easily see myself getting one. I thought about a netbook for a while but they are all utter shite - compromised performance, too cramped and just silly little underpowered computers.

get yourself a 12 inch Ultra portable

got one not at all heavy , full keyboard, big enough screen, more than enough power, memory+HDD and battery lasts just over 7 hours and change from £430
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: January 27, 2010, 10:05:32 pm »
Anyone honestly thinking about buying one?

No.

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #306 on: January 27, 2010, 10:18:45 pm »
first video of hands on ive seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE47BMe83W8

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: January 27, 2010, 10:20:20 pm »
So what is it?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: January 27, 2010, 10:22:43 pm »
so one question

can you transfer apps between this and the iphone and have it on both machines
me thinks they'd have to allow that or there'd be uproar
STFU and agree with me.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #309 on: January 27, 2010, 10:30:19 pm »
so one question

can you transfer apps between this and the iphone and have it on both machines
me thinks they'd have to allow that or there'd be uproar

You can.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #310 on: January 27, 2010, 11:03:04 pm »
Smiff - how do you jailbreak an iPad?

;)

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: January 27, 2010, 11:06:32 pm »
Smiff - how do you jailbreak an iPad?

;)

a question i hope never to be able to answer
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: January 27, 2010, 11:11:37 pm »
So what is it?

It's an ipod touch with a bigger screen and a few other bells and whistles.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: January 27, 2010, 11:13:19 pm »
it's a bigger ipod touch with more ways to give apple money for stuff
STFU and agree with me.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: January 27, 2010, 11:15:50 pm »
It looks like something that those twats on CSI Miami prance around with.

Offline SpenceUK1968

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: January 27, 2010, 11:18:30 pm »
Not a patch on that Sony Reader for usefulness.
Though I'm sure there will be enough fan boys and girls to buy it.

This is the Newton all over again.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: January 27, 2010, 11:19:17 pm »

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: January 27, 2010, 11:21:21 pm »
What can this do that my jailbroken iphone can not do? Because I can name plenty of things I can do on my iphone that the Ishit can not.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: January 27, 2010, 11:23:54 pm »
What can this do that my jailbroken iphone can not do? Because I can name plenty of things I can do on my iphone that the Ishit can not.

it can do BIGGER
STFU and agree with me.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: January 27, 2010, 11:29:20 pm »
this is the best showing i've seen of it so far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhKhN_91IAc
STFU and agree with me.