Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12293195 times)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #102360 on: October 31, 2020, 10:10:21 pm »
I find it strange they aren't playing him for the u23s yet. He is already 18 and as you say not much more he can do at this level.

Especially when we've just loaned a 17 year old to The Championship.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #102361 on: November 1, 2020, 08:28:36 am »
I find it strange they aren't playing him for the u23s yet. He is already 18 and as you say not much more he can do at this level.

I assumed he would move up once the loans had been completed. He needs the challenge of the next step up to be honest.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #102362 on: November 1, 2020, 10:02:09 am »
Are academy matches all going to stop during the coming lockdown does anyone know

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #102363 on: November 1, 2020, 10:28:29 am »
I haven't watched the Academy teams for ages, is there anyone coming through attacking wise that could push the first team this season given number of games etc?

Given that Brewster has gone, Wilson and Elliott loaned out and Origi out of favour and lost his way somewhat. There's an opening there if someone can really step up like Jones and Neco did last season.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102364 on: November 1, 2020, 11:36:41 am »
I haven't watched the Academy teams for ages, is there anyone coming through attacking wise that could push the first team this season given number of games etc?

Given that Brewster has gone, Wilson and Elliott loaned out and Origi out of favour and lost his way somewhat. There's an opening there if someone can really step up like Jones and Neco did last season.

Origi has started for us in the Champions League 5 days ago.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102365 on: November 1, 2020, 11:47:47 am »

Gauzi if he can stay fit and get a run of games. Cain, Clarkson, SVB. Stewart maybe..Millar could be in with an outside shot. Hardy is in the PL squad.

It's difficult because we are out of the League Cup now, so depending on the FA Cup draw that's when some youth might get a a chance. The likes of Cain and other named in the CL squad might get a run out when we hopefully qualify.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #102366 on: November 1, 2020, 04:14:58 pm »
Are academy matches all going to stop during the coming lockdown does anyone know

Nobody knows, there's no guidance as yet so will find out in the next few days. General consensus from the club I work for is that U23s should be fine, under 18s might be as well but anything below that may stop.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102367 on: November 2, 2020, 01:46:20 pm »
Origi has started for us in the Champions League 5 days ago.
He did and he was poor. He wasn't even on the bench again at the weekend as he hasn't been for the last three league games. If he can't even make the bench with all the injuries we have at the moment I think it's fair to say he is out of favour.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2020, 01:50:32 pm by dakid »

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #102368 on: November 3, 2020, 10:57:14 pm »
Big word up to our youth structure tonight. TAA, Jones and Williams x 2 shining in a great CL away performance. Keep em coming lads

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102369 on: November 3, 2020, 10:58:30 pm »
Big word up to our youth structure tonight. TAA, Jones and Williams x 2 shining in a great CL away performance. Keep em coming lads
Aye, they're doing us proud.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102370 on: November 4, 2020, 12:18:44 am »
Harry Wilson scored a screamer tonight too
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #102371 on: November 6, 2020, 10:46:31 am »

Nobody knows, there's no guidance as yet so will find out in the next few days. General consensus from the club I work for is that U23s should be fine, under 18s might be as well but anything below that may stop.

We've now had news, one day before the weekend games as the government, FA, EFL and PL all make timely decisions. I know some PL academies who still haven't had any information! Under 16s and Under 18s allowed to continue as per the elite sports exemptions. Luckily the club are a cat 1 academy so all their activity below U16s can continue as well, as can cat 2 academies, cat 3 academies have infuriatingly been cut adrift and have to stop all activity from under 16 level!

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102372 on: November 6, 2020, 05:48:59 pm »
That's great news.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102373 on: November 6, 2020, 07:11:06 pm »
Good win for the U23s away to West Ham this afternoon, 4-2.  More minutes and a goal for Glatzel.  Another for Longstaff who really has been used is so many positions since U18s.  Our U23s are having a good season so far without an out and out striker (no Joe Hardy, Glatzel injured).  They usually have a much more disjointed season with players dropping down on and off.  I think they’ve benefitted from some consistency in selection except perhaps at full back, esp with Lewis and Gallacger on loan and Norris injured.  I hope some of the older ones get a good loan I. January as a result, and eg Leyton Stewart can move up.  I expect Stewart and some of the other younger U23s might play in the U19 champions league games. 

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102374 on: November 6, 2020, 07:12:53 pm »
... and tomorrow’s U18 away to Wolves at 1.00 pm will be on lfc tv. 

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102375 on: November 6, 2020, 09:05:02 pm »
Got that wrong.  It’s only on lfctv go

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102376 on: November 7, 2020, 04:15:43 am »
glatzel back scoring and billy back on the pitch.

any centre back that is fit is a positive for us now.  where does billy and van der berg rank now with Nat and rhys taking their chances with both hands?

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102377 on: November 7, 2020, 09:03:05 am »
glatzel back scoring and billy back on the pitch.

any centre back that is fit is a positive for us now.  where does billy and van der berg rank now with Nat and rhys taking their chances with both hands?

I think Billy likely behind Williams but ahead of Phillips

Phillips did great but he had one foot out the door pre season and klopp seems to love Billy the kid

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102378 on: November 7, 2020, 09:21:35 am »

Phillips did great but he had one foot out the door pre season and klopp seems to love Billy the kid

Rubbish.

Not for this season. Please understand that players are allowed to make their own decisions. Elliott is on loan because he wanted too. Wilson on loan because he wanted too. Phillips was leaving because he wanted too. Nothing to do with Klopp.

The order will be like this for the PL - Phillips, Williams, SVB and Billy. This doesn't mean Klopp doesn't rate Billy because he does but Billy can get to play more games for the Under 23's and other age groups.

Phillips has the most experience and it makes sense him being ahead at this moment. Williams is in the CL squad so will be ahead of SVB and Billy.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102379 on: November 7, 2020, 09:41:44 am »
Rubbish.

Not for this season. Please understand that players are allowed to make their own decisions. Elliott is on loan because he wanted too. Wilson on loan because he wanted too. Phillips was leaving because he wanted too. Nothing to do with Klopp.

The order will be like this for the PL - Phillips, Williams, SVB and Billy. This doesn't mean Klopp doesn't rate Billy because he does but Billy can get to play more games for the Under 23's and other age groups.

Phillips has the most experience and it makes sense him being ahead at this moment. Williams is in the CL squad so will be ahead of SVB and Billy.

I just don't see it like that at all. Billy was head of all pre season i think and that was reflected in the fact he was with the squad and starting friendlies

Not much in it between Williams and Phillips I wouldn't say but they're different players. Phillips more experienced but we were prepared to let him go

SVB was he injured? If not he's regressed as he'd surely have played during the injury crisis

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #102380 on: November 7, 2020, 09:45:03 am »

You’d think so considering their relative place in the pecking order during pre season, and Billy is probably more ‘mouldable’ into the sort of CB Klopp likes in terms of playing out from the back. But you never know, Phillips certainly took his chance and we’ve seen how important that is too with our youngsters.

But this is all academic. Please understand, Mr Bean has spoken. After his track record from the summer I think we can all agree....Fordy knows  8)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102381 on: November 7, 2020, 09:57:18 am »
I just don't see it like that at all. Billy was head of all pre season i think and that was reflected in the fact he was with the squad and starting friendlies

Not much in it between Williams and Phillips I wouldn't say but they're different players. Phillips more experienced but we were prepared to let him go

SVB was he injured? If not he's regressed as he'd surely have played during the injury crisis
You’d think so considering their relative place in the pecking order during pre season, and Billy is probably more ‘mouldable’ into the sort of CB Klopp likes in terms of playing out from the back. But you never know, Phillips certainly took his chance and we’ve seen how important that is too with our youngsters.

But this is all academic. Please understand, Mr Bean has spoken. After his track record from the summer I think we can all agree....Fordy knows  8)

I wouldn't read too much into pre-season, Klopp already knew what Phillips could do as he'd played 20-odd professional games. Pre-season would have been used to see what Billy can offer playing against men, and though he might be seen to have the higher ceiling and therefore long-term potential, Phillips, right now, is probably seen as the more ready (less risky) player. I would think Phillips will be above Billy in the pecking order. Especially against the yard-dog bullies of the league. Can't be sure though. Rhys has come out of nowhere, so no idea where he fits in.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102382 on: November 7, 2020, 10:09:46 am »
I wouldn't read too much into pre-season, Klopp already knew what Phillips could do as he'd played 20-odd professional games. Pre-season would have been used to see what Billy can offer playing against men, and though he might be seen to have the higher ceiling and therefore long-term potential, Phillips, right now, is probably seen as the more ready (less risky) player. I would think Phillips will be above Billy in the pecking order. Especially against the yard-dog bullies of the league. Can't be sure though. Rhys has come out of nowhere, so no idea where he fits in.

All fair comments

I think you're right if we were playing Burnley at home tomorrow it would be a toss up between Phillips and Williams based on next fixtures etc. I think Billy would have been there had it not been for his injury.

Id be surprised if Phillips was here next year and that will leave Williams and Billy fighting it out for the development minutes with hopefully 3 fully fit CBs ahead of them

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102383 on: November 7, 2020, 10:53:21 am »
Koumetio needs a fair bit more time with the u23s or a loan before he'd be a genuine choice at the back. He's barely played any u18 football, the jump from that to seniors is huge for any player let alone a centre back.

« Last Edit: November 7, 2020, 11:26:16 am by Chris~ »

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102384 on: November 7, 2020, 11:25:36 am »
Think Phillips is the first choice out of those 4 for this season due to experience but I still think he’ll leave at the end of the season and that Williams and Koumetio are seen as the top 2 choices once they’ve gathered some experience. I’d say perhaps Koumetio ahead of Williams because he was taken for pre-season with the first team although Williams’ performances may have brought him alongside Koumetio in the thinking. Van den Berg I’m not so sure on, he’s clearly a talented lad considering he got game time in the Eredivisie before moving here but he seems to have dropped behind Williams and Koumetio in the thinking.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Kadafi

• Main Stander
« Reply #102385 on: November 7, 2020, 11:59:03 am »
It seems to be a fluid situation, one minute Phillips was looking to move on, the next opportunity came knocking. If we beat Atalanta at home, I'd expect to see an appearance from one or maybe both Billy and VDB in the final group games, be it on the pitch or the bench.

There are reservations with playing each of the four, whether it's inexperience, skillset or trust, but all of them also have attributes that could potentially lead to having long-term futures at the club

Quite a few were down on VDB, but having watched him so far this season he seems to have settled. He's playing like a man as opposed to a fish out of water as was the case at times last year.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102386 on: November 7, 2020, 01:19:16 pm »
U18s 1-0 Up but I missed who scored.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102387 on: November 7, 2020, 01:29:37 pm »
U18s 1-0 Up but I missed who scored.

Stewart apparently.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102388 on: November 7, 2020, 01:33:39 pm »

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102389 on: November 7, 2020, 02:38:00 pm »
Have we had someone sent off?

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102390 on: November 7, 2020, 02:40:58 pm »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102391 on: November 7, 2020, 02:42:29 pm »
1-1 now. The Wolves goalie has kept them in this game with some very good saves.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2020, 02:44:42 pm by jillc »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102392 on: November 7, 2020, 02:46:33 pm »
2-1 to Wolves now, I am afraid the goalie made an error.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102393 on: November 7, 2020, 02:51:06 pm »
Have we had someone sent off?

Luca Stephenson.  Tried to save a shot on goal with his hands.  Silly boy. 

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102394 on: November 7, 2020, 03:48:04 pm »
Ah it's all part of the learning and from the bits I caught it was one of those games.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #102395 on: November 7, 2020, 04:01:54 pm »
Klopp said something recently about Billy being in quarantine...

After the game yesterday he said Billy will be back in training this week.

he did.

Quotes are in here, some other good stuff about the U23s too now training with the first team.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102396 on: November 7, 2020, 06:12:08 pm »
Ah it's all part of the learning and from the bits I caught it was one of those games.

It was, we made a number of chances but their goalie played very well today. Layton had a few which he hit really well but the goalkeeper was equal to them. Such is life, they will learn and move forward.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102397 on: November 7, 2020, 07:32:16 pm »
Agree with Fordy.  Phillips, Williams, VdB, Koumetio.  I think taking him on pre-season was to give him a bit of a lift having missed so much time, and because he has talent.  Not because he was being being fast tracked into the first team squad.  It’s also often a test of character to go up to Melwood, and then come down.  As others have said, Koumetio has not played much senior footie.  Got injured in the U18s, only just coming back to play in the U23s.  Phillips has much more senior experience, and so does Williams.  Interestingly, while it doesn’t always mean much, Williams has just moved up into the senior squad list on lfc website, so expect him to stay training with them for at least most of this season.  Sepp is finally making good progress according to the commentators on the U18 match today, who quoted Lewtas, but he was definitely struggling to adapt for a lot of last season.  He has been playing regularly for the U23s this season and I think that regularity has helped.  Not sure which squad he is training with. 

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102398 on: November 10, 2020, 09:28:39 pm »
Lfc U21 lose 4-2 to Port Vale tonight.  2 goals for Millar.  joe Hardy gets some minutes on return from injury.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102399 on: November 12, 2020, 07:07:25 pm »
hellooooo is this where one would go for Billy Koumetio theme music?

Any sign of him making the step up to first team squad now?  ...is he out injured?

Cheers
You'll Never Walk Alone