Author Topic: Injury (and absence) related chat (so the news is kept in the other thread)  (Read 555541 times)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Probably because we played every game possible last season with a short pre season due to the farce in Qatar.

Klopp has been saying all this for years players need protecting from burn out he might be onto something but our media rather listen to no marks like Wilder.

Sure last season would have took it out of us (all the more reason to refresh the squad a bit more) but every country had internationals in June, so it wasn't just our players that had a short break. The other top teams seem to be going along a lot more seamlessly fitness wise going into the season, carrying maybe one or two injuries.

Of course Klopp is spot on with what he says there, but we have people hired specifically for injury prevention and heralded medics etc. A glut of muscle injuries and a lethargic opening day performance doesn't bode well.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 07:49:08 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Worrying stuff, this could easily spiral into a similar injury crisis to 20/21.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We have some injury prone players in comparison to other clubs unfortunately,  who are repeatedly getting injured. There is no glossing over that, they will continue to pick up injuries.
The Likes of Robbo and Salah are far more robust and can be relied upon, Gini and Mane were the same, those 2 are big losses.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
Worrying stuff, this could easily spiral into a similar injury crisis to 20/21.

One game into the season and it’s already starting to feel that way. Are we the unluckiest club in the country?

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
One game into the season and it’s already starting to feel that way. Are we the unluckiest club in the country?

Once is bad luck. Twice is negligence.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Once is bad luck. Twice is negligence.
It's a good job the person responsible for putting this team together left then

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
I don’t think it does feel anything like 20/21. Season ending injuries across a single position is different to early season niggles. It’s obviously not ideal but I think the club will be keeping a cool head on this one for the time being.

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
We have some injury prone players in comparison to other clubs unfortunately

Not sure this is actually true. City currently have a smaller squad and players out. Their new giant centre forward is injury prone, as is KdB, Laporte and Phillips off the top of my head.

I think we as a fanbase can be guilty of catastrophising about our own club while also not being hugely invested in the details of rivals.

I bet if you went across various club forums you’d have posters complaining about the state of the injuries at their club.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Never believe a word Klopp says; lying fucker. bet he's not even German the mendacious meff

;D 

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
By James Pearce
Aug 12, 2022
Joel Matip is a fitness doubt for Liverpool’s Premier League clash with Crystal Palace at Anfield on Monday due to a groin problem.

The former Cameroon international sat out training at Kirkby on Friday as a precaution after complaining of discomfort. He will be further assessed in the next 24 hours

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
By James Pearce
Aug 12, 2022
Joel Matip is a fitness doubt for Liverpool’s Premier League clash with Crystal Palace at Anfield on Monday due to a groin problem.

The former Cameroon international sat out training at Kirkby on Friday as a precaution after complaining of discomfort. He will be further assessed in the next 24 hours

but we already knew this yesterday

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
It’s like Matip times these injuries. Crazy.

Something wrong with the squad if we’re picking up all these muscle injuries and the season is 1 game old

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
Have they all happened in training apart from Thiago?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
somethings not right with Liverpool

::)

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
but we already knew this yesterday

Maybe he got fit...then got injured again!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
It’s like Matip times these injuries. Crazy.

Something wrong with the squad if we’re picking up all these muscle injuries and the season is 1 game old

The only thing wrong is that we buy injury prone players and some people in the club obviously think it's luck and not genetics and believe they'll suddenly become robust. Matip, Thiago, Keita and Ox are going to miss several weeks at least every season.

We continue to count of them rather than move them on, so we have to accept we'll have to play without them. We'll lose them during training. We'll lose them in a warm up for a cup final. It's the way it is.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
All teams get injuries, sometimes a lot at once like Leicester last season for example.

We know for a fact that there are 2 or 3 players that consistently get injured for us - Ox, Keita and Thiago. It's worrying as it leaves you short in midfield in addition to Henderson getting older and probably needing to be rotated more. I completely get we only sign another midfielder if they are right for the club and if we're happy to trust Elliot, Curtis and Carvalho then we need to back that. Personally think in the really big games, City home and away, Chelsea, European big fixtures etc we may fall short as the midfield is so key in those types of games and you need some experience.

We will see.

I'm not worried in attack or defence as I think we have really strong cover - possibly better cover than any club other than City in the league.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Thiago
🚑 Diogo Jota
🚑 Joel Matip
🚑 Ibrahima Konate
🚑 Curtis Jones
🚑 Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
🚑 Caoimhin Kelleher

I dunno Konate, Jota, Jones and Kelleher aren’t injury prone I would say. Thiago, Kieta and Ox definitely. Although I’d take Thiago when he’s fit any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

But all these are some sort of muscle injury right? Except Keita who was sick and is now on as far as I understand it

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
The problem is having 4 injury prone players in the squad(Matip, Ox, Keita and Thiago) means every other 'unlucky' injury costs us more.

I'd be ruthless and move players like this on despite being good players and good people but the club hasn't operated like this and i doubt it'll change now. Keita will probably get a new deal despite his injuries.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
9 muscle / soft tissue injuries in pre season/in the first week of a season is a shitshow and pretty unacceptable for a top club
The worry is it’s the load of the end of last season taking its toll

Online JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
9 muscle / soft tissue injuries in pre season/in the first week of a season is a shitshow and pretty unacceptable for a top club

Not sure who the 9 are but it's probably a bit harsh to include Kelleher and Jota if you're laying blame at the club given they returned from international duty injured. Not sure if Alisson was injured prior to returning to training either.

Is Jones' injury a muscle injury? I've heard Klopp say it was stress induced a few times and I assumed it was a stress fracture.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
You've answered your first point with your second.

63 games in a single season, and only the second time in our history we've played every possible match there is to play. We then had the June Internationals, 5 pre-season games in July, the Community Shield, and the new season starting a week earlier due to the WC. That's an unprecedented run of games in the clubs history - especially as the last time we played every game in 2000/01, there were no Euros/WC that summer (and the pointless Nations League didn't exist).

We've played more games in the last 12 months than any other top flight side in Europe - in what way are muscle injuries a 'shitshow' and 'unacceptable'? I'm sure the players were given as much rest as the club could squeeze in, and although we have an elite back room team at the club, they can't perform miracles (nor can Jurgen or the players).

I'd be more surprised if we had no injuries after playing so many high pressure games for so long - especially at the intensity with which we play. We pushed City to the final day and reached 3 cup finals - that would take its toll on any squad. Fortunately none of them seem to be cruciates, broken bones, or other serious problems, so we might look in much better shape in a couple of weeks before the frequency of games ramps up with the CL group stages. Obviously we'd all prefer no injuries, but probably better to have some early niggles than players out when we're playing every 3-4 days.

We looked leggy at times against Fulham, so I think some people might have to dial down their expectations (at least on performances) whilst Jurgen finds a way to grind out results. This is a squad that went full throttle from August to the end of May, and has barely had a rest since.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 04:57:11 pm by keyop »
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen

We don’t have 9 injuries tho ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
You've answered your first point with your second.

63 games in a single season, and only the second time in our history we've played every possible match there is to play. We then had the June Internationals, 5 pre-season games in July, the Community Shield, and the new season starting a week earlier due to the WC. That's an unprecedented run of games in the clubs history - especially as the last time we played every game in 2000/01, there were no Euros/WC that summer (and the pointless Nations League didn't exist).

We've played more games in the last 12 months than any other top flight side in Europe - in what way are muscle injuries a 'shitshow' and 'unacceptable'? I'm sure the players were given as much rest as the club could squeeze in, and although we have an elite back room team at the club, they can't perform miracles (nor can Jurgen or the players).

I'd be more surprised if we had no injuries after playing so many high pressure games for so long - especially at the intensity with which we play. We pushed City to the final day and reached 3 cup finals - that would take its toll on any squad. Fortunately none of them seem to be cruciates, broken bones, or other serious problems, so we might look in much better shape in a couple of weeks before the frequency of games ramps up with the CL group stages. Obviously we'd all prefer no injuries, but probably better to have some early niggles than players out when we're playing every 3-4 days.

We looked leggy at times against Fulham, so I think some people might have to dial down their expectations (at least on performances) whilst Jurgen finds a way to grind out results. This is a squad that went full throttle from August to the end of May, and has barely had a rest since.

But the squad was also managed pretty well last season wasn’t it? Looking at ‘minute totals’, who actually played ‘too many’ minutes? There was significant rotation in loads of positions. The league cup till the final and FA cup till the semis saw significant rotation. The CL games were managed. Our squad last year was huge, really big.

I think we’re carrying too many players prone to injury. I’m not sure you can blame the load last year.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:55:26 pm by Knight »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
We don’t have 9 injuries tho ?

Yeah but if we did
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
But the squad was also managed pretty well last season wasn’t it? Looking at ‘minute totals’, who actually played ‘too many’ minutes? There was significant rotation in loads of positions. The league cup till the final and FA cup till the semis saw significant rotation. The CL games were managed. Our squad last year was huge, really big.
We had no choice but to rotate in the cups as we were also going toe to toe with City until the last day - something we were only able to do because key players had an occasional break.

We may have used players like Kelleher, Tsimikas and Origi more than usual, but most of the first 11 were heavily involved throughout the season - far more than previous years when we've exited the domestic cups early. Add in the number of games in June/July plus an early season start, and it's the perfect recipe for muscle injuries. There's no doubt some were more predictable - Ox, Keita and Thiago probably have their own lockers in the medical department, and if Thiago wasn't so damned good when fit, I'd imagine we'd be looking to offload all 3.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi

I think we’re carrying too many players prone to injury. I’m not sure you can blame the load last year.
There's a mental aspect to it as well. A feeling of relentlessness without a meaningful break can be pretty wearying and even damaging.

But this shouldn't be about making excuses, it should be about fans understanding the realities and not having excessive expectations. Or expectations of perfection.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
Let’s hope matip injury isn’t a bad one because we’re now left with Gomez and VVD which is a bit concerning considering how injury prone Gomez is as well. How long is konate out for?

Online JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
Let’s hope matip injury isn’t a bad one because we’re now left with Gomez and VVD which is a bit concerning considering how injury prone Gomez is as well. How long is konate out for?

I'm sure I read that Matip will undergo a late fitness test for Monday's game, in which case it doesn't sound like a long term injury. They've been vague about Konaté I think.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
https://www.premierinjuries.com/injury-table.php
"No return date .... Ruled Out".

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
We had no choice but to rotate in the cups as we were also going toe to toe with City until the last day - something we were only able to do because key players had an occasional break.

We may have used players like Kelleher, Tsimikas and Origi more than usual, but most of the first 11 were heavily involved throughout the season - far more than previous years when we've exited the domestic cups early. Add in the number of games in June/July plus an early season start, and it's the perfect recipe for muscle injuries. There's no doubt some were more predictable - Ox, Keita and Thiago probably have their own lockers in the medical department, and if Thiago wasn't so damned good when fit, I'd imagine we'd be looking to offload all 3.

I don’t think this is quite right. Just look at the lineups in the league and FA cup up until the league cup final and FA cup semi finals. Heavily changed. Especially up top, neither Mane nor Salah started a cup game until the league cup finals. And in terms of PL minutes, Trent, Robertson, Salah, Firmino and Thiago were all down on their 20/21 minutes in21/22. Haven’t checked others mind. There’s definitely a mental fatigue with so many games but it’s very impressive the way we managed the squad last season.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
What's happened to Konaté? I must've missed it. Training incident? This kind of game at Anfield would be perfect for him to start in so it's a blow regardless.
Linudden.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
What's happened to Konaté? I must've missed it. Training incident? This kind of game at Anfield would be perfect for him to start in so it's a blow regardless.

Did his knee in a friendly.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Did his knee in a friendly.

Doesn't seem positive on him or Ramsey - as we have zero info on them for returns.

Jones was a 2-4 week layoff.

Thiago is upto 6 weeks.

Matip - no timeline - but ideally we caught it early.

Jota - should be very soon.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
At least if it was a cruciate ligament injury we'd heard it by now I reckon?
Linudden.

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
Doesn't seem positive on him or Ramsey - as we have zero info on them for returns.

Jones was a 2-4 week layoff.

Thiago is upto 6 weeks.

Matip - no timeline - but ideally we caught it early.

Jota - should be very soon.

Offal tweet for team news says muscle strain for Matip. News on Friday was it was his groin. So suggests it is confirmed groin strain. Who know how severe it is.
Internet terrorist

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Speaking of injuries, just saw that Zaf Iqbal is with Palace!  Wondered what happened to him.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
Was Bobby only fit for the bench tonight? - seemed odd he didn’t get on. I’m assuming Joe was also only fit for the bench judged by some comments in the HT thread?
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Was Bobby only fit for the bench tonight? - seemed odd he didn’t get on. I’m assuming Joe was also only fit for the bench judged by some comments in the HT thread?

Firmino wasn't on the bench tonight.  Injured again it seems.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
When are Bobby & Jota due back. 3 games ahead without Núñez? (I think it’s a 3 game ban yeah?)
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.