Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 311819 times)

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #3240 on: November 22, 2022, 08:24:16 am »
Artemis 1, close approach to the moon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvWtNx3VOUA&ab_channel=NASA
That's not coming to tiktok any time soon 😃
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3241 on: November 24, 2022, 11:40:10 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/U30HyUYg5kw&amp;ab_channel=Dr.Becky" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/U30HyUYg5kw&amp;ab_channel=Dr.Becky</a>
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3242 on: December 4, 2022, 10:23:45 am »
Scott Manley talks about Artemis 1 and it's "square" orbit around the moon.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/XFIvKSVRtZ0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/XFIvKSVRtZ0</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3243 on: December 22, 2022, 10:32:59 pm »
Was watching Scott Manley and he just said that Space Force now has a bigger budget than NASA.  ::)

Budget is about $25bn - a less than inflation increase. Not only is it less than what NASA wanted, it's less than what the White House wanted, and apparently less than what the Senate was going to offer, so no idea what's happened there with the spending bill.

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3244 on: December 22, 2022, 10:50:43 pm »
Was watching Scott Manley and he just said that Space Force now has a bigger budget than NASA.  ::)

Budget is about $25bn - a less than inflation increase. Not only is it less than what NASA wanted, it's less than what the White House wanted, and apparently less than what the Senate was going to offer, so no idea what's happened there with the spending bill.
Put that into perspective and it’s much worse. The NASA planetary science budget is a small portion of NASA’s, that’s what funds the stuff most people know NASA for these days. Human space exploration is just a thought now, bar the Space Station, but that’s what eats up most of the budget. And the even that’s not enough to fund technology development for long Nat exploration; a lot of programs are frozen. Add the 3 year delay of VERITAS, and the cuts are accounted for…

As for the Space Force, a lot of people a joking mostly because of the name, but it’s a necessary step in the right direction in parallel with how the Air Force was created from the Army.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3245 on: December 25, 2022, 10:00:49 pm »
1 year since James Webb launched. Only seems to have been up there 2 minutes.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3246 on: January 8, 2023, 02:40:15 pm »
Starship first orbital flight attempt is possibly the end of February or more likely march…

Very exciting
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3247 on: January 9, 2023, 12:35:39 pm »
First UK orbital space launch tonight by Virgin Orbit

747 gets up to 35,000 ft then release a rocket containing 9 satellites into earth orbit.

Launch time will be between 9 and 10pm with rocket launch about 1-2 hours after that depending on conditions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-64190848

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3248 on: January 9, 2023, 10:09:04 pm »
https://youtu.be/z0qH8dLrNOc she’s up. Skies clear above south Liverpool too. Fingers crossed.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3249 on: January 9, 2023, 10:18:20 pm »
Switched it on….

Grant Shapps.

Fuck that
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3250 on: January 9, 2023, 10:19:04 pm »
Switched off as soon as they had that tory c*nt shapps on.

Lucky hes getting abuse on the youtube stream

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3251 on: January 9, 2023, 10:19:59 pm »
Switched off as soon as they had that tory c*nt shapps on.

Lucky hes getting abuse on the youtube stream
My work is done… ;)
W

Offline 50 Pence

• Thanks to a slightly better exchange rate, he's a higher value rapper...
  • Kopite
« Reply #3252 on: January 10, 2023, 12:18:53 am »
There's been an anomoly. Looks like it didn't make it orbit sadly
I wish I'd be a bit more spontaneous. Sometimes I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying, "Look at me, I'm a giant witch."

Offline Absinthe

• Main Stander
« Reply #3253 on: January 10, 2023, 12:19:04 am »
It's called Virgin Orbit because it doesn't go all the way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-64215127

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3254 on: January 10, 2023, 06:49:15 am »
There's been an anomoly. Looks like it didn't make it orbit sadly
That's really sad to see... I hope for a better luck next time! The UK needs to have that capability.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3255 on: January 10, 2023, 06:56:59 am »
That failure probably means they will go bust.

Goodbye to the uk space launch service on day 1!
W

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3256 on: January 10, 2023, 08:02:47 am »
Gutted from the science aspect. But in a total 'Thick of it' style, Grant Shapps (and the tory party) can now forever be associated with the greatest failure of UK space travel on day 1.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3257 on: January 10, 2023, 10:44:00 am »
:lmao

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3258 on: January 11, 2023, 08:40:36 am »
Why is anyone going on about a UK launch. I know it flew from the UK, but Virgin Orbital is American (From California)

If someone drives an American muscle car on a Brititsh race track, does that make it British?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3259 on: January 11, 2023, 11:58:45 am »
Why is anyone going on about a UK launch. I know it flew from the UK, but Virgin Orbital is American (From California)

If someone drives an American muscle car on a Brititsh race track, does that make it British?

Dude it's us! If there is a screw in it made in the UK it's British!!!!

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3260 on: January 11, 2023, 12:32:18 pm »
It's a rocket being launched in the UK. It's a UK launch. Don't think anyone has claimed the plane or rocket is from the UK.

Should change the name of the Silverstone grand Prix because the cars aren't from Silverstone  ;D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3261 on: January 12, 2023, 01:27:02 pm »
Dude it's us! If there is a screw in it made in the UK it's British!!!!

:D

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #3262 on: January 12, 2023, 06:59:11 pm »
Got my lad a Telescope for Christmas. Ł50 off amazon. I know it's a crap Chinese made thing but he likes reading books about space and wanted to see if star gazing was something he'd enjoy without spending a bomb. Had a peak at the moon the other night which was great. Could see the craters really clearly. Any tips for a novice from those itk? Besides taking the lens cap off, looking in the thin end and going out when it's dark!

My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3263 on: January 12, 2023, 08:16:54 pm »
Have you got him on Kerbal space program?
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3264 on: January 12, 2023, 10:27:21 pm »
Got my lad a Telescope for Christmas. Ł50 off amazon. I know it's a crap Chinese made thing but he likes reading books about space and wanted to see if star gazing was something he'd enjoy without spending a bomb. Had a peak at the moon the other night which was great. Could see the craters really clearly. Any tips for a novice from those itk? Besides taking the lens cap off, looking in the thin end and going out when it's dark!

There is a telescope thread

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=282533.0

I knocked up some tips for about now.

Don't think anyone read it :D

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3265 on: January 12, 2023, 10:36:30 pm »

We all read it (everyone),just scared you'd hit us with a poll of polls  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Disregarder

• Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #3266 on: January 13, 2023, 06:20:23 pm »
Have you got him on Kerbal space program?

Looks ace but he only plays switch and its not on that. Will see if there's summat similar. Cheers for the recommendation.
My 8k rig goes boom

Offline Disregarder

• Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #3267 on: January 13, 2023, 06:40:48 pm »

Thanks Andy

We are lucky to live somewhere in the UK with little light pollution and are looking forward to spotting more this month, especially planets and moons if possible. I know the telescope I got my boy isn't great but it'll do to see if he takes to the hobby. It's pretty rickety on its flimsy stand and I haven't worked out yet how to make small adjustments properly or what the different lenses do.
My 8k rig goes boom

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3268 on: January 15, 2023, 11:05:37 pm »
Flacon heavy just flew…

The re-entry and landing of the two boosters was utterly stunning…

You could see the pressure waves as it was supersonic, the thrusters correcting the course…. Everything… just incredible footage

https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1614759413851512834?s=61&t=6xw82irWUkJx7WNq3SYMXQ
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 11:08:26 pm by TepidT2O »
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3269 on: February 8, 2023, 07:17:43 pm »
33 engine  static fire of booster planned for tomorrow.

Very very exciting moment!
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3270 on: February 9, 2023, 09:30:52 pm »
Wow!!!

33 engines, 17,000,000 pounds of thrust.  Most powerful booster ever fired, twice as powerful as the SLS main stage!
W

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #3271 on: February 14, 2023, 11:26:20 pm »
Wow!!!

33 engines, 17,000,000 pounds of thrust.  Most powerful booster ever fired, twice as powerful as the SLS main stage!
Id be more impressed if we dragged them into the metric era 🤣
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3272 on: March 1, 2023, 07:28:22 pm »
If you can find a break in the clouds there's a very nice Jupiter-Venus conjunction on display, low in the southwest. They seem to be less than a degree apart.

Popcorn's Art

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3273 on: March 17, 2023, 09:16:08 pm »
Starship due for first orbital flight attempt by the end of the third week of April …

Exciting stuff!
W

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3274 on: March 18, 2023, 01:01:52 pm »
Starship due for first orbital flight attempt by the end of the third week of April …

Exciting stuff!

Nothing gonna stop us now

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3275 on: March 22, 2023, 01:49:01 pm »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3276 on: March 23, 2023, 10:28:31 am »
RNA and Vitamin B3 found in Asteroid

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/21/world/ryugu-asteroid-organic-molecules-scn

They haven't found RNA, they found one of the building blocks for it. Still, it shows the solar system is awash with organic compounds.

Popcorn's Art

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3277 on: March 23, 2023, 12:04:24 pm »
Anyone read Avi Loeb's Extraterrestrial? Professor of Astronomy at Harvard.

It's about a rock (or anomalous object) that was classed interstellar and traversed the solar system in 2017.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3278 on: March 23, 2023, 03:00:32 pm »
They haven't found RNA, they found one of the building blocks for it. Still, it shows the solar system is awash with organic compounds.
More than 80% of all aminoacids have been found in space (by spectroscopic evidence). But this is the first time, I believe, that a sample return mission has provided evidence. People tried to look for organics with Stardust (comet dust), but the aerogel collector had a lot of organic background (it's a getter for organics from air). I'm now working on a similar mission concept for Enceladus, which will look for amines from the ice particles; that background for that is very low. But that's some years out and who knows if it will be funded.

The next sample return mission is from Mars, and that will be something...

Online Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3279 on: March 26, 2023, 12:40:28 pm »
Nothing gonna stop us now

I see you what you did there 🤣
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.